Skipping College

30 replies to this topic

#1 ZitsSuck21

ZitsSuck21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

Does anybody else miss alot of college/school/work because of their acne? I've skipped so many lectures now it has kind of become  the norm :(.

#2 AbstractFactory

AbstractFactory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

Can't. Although a life with acne is no stroll in the park, a life with no money is infinitely worse.

#3 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

It's more social events that I've missed out on because of acne in the past. Though I've definitely had times where I haven't wanted to go to uni because of my skin. Especially when I was taking anatomy and had to spend a lot of time in the labs - the lighting in there was terrible for showing up all my acne / PIH. But I just had to get on with it - even if it meant I sometimes felt pretty shitty and wanted to hide. But I've been lucky to meet some great people and make great friends at uni and I always have a good time when with them so I don't even think about my skin then. And having classes / assignments can be a good distraction from your skin too. The less time you spend worrying / obsessing over your skin the better!

In lectures people aren't going to see your acne anyway really - often the lights are dimmed and everyone is facing forward / focusing on the lecture and aren't going to be looking at your skin / caring about it at all

Try and get back into going to the lectures! It's better than causing yourself stress trying to catch up on all the material later / when exams are around the corner! :P

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#4 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

loved the post about no money-  don't let acne rob you of your earning potential, and college is the key to that, so chin up and SHOW up....wear a hoodie or sit in the back, just SHOW UP

also I find being really busy, like studying when I was at uni was a good thing for me...takes my mind off my problems and it is such a positive goal, getting a degree is something YOU CAN control! 

#5 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Does anybody else miss alot of college/school/work because of their acne? I've skipped so many lectures now it has kind of become  the norm sad.png.

I never skipped, but was always thinking about my skin, so I didn't pay attention ;\.  When I took A&P, I was getting A's.. then I started to breakout horribly and I let it control me. I went downhill.. ended up with a B. I could have gotten an A.. but stupid acne :\

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#6 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

It's more social events that I've missed out on because of acne in the past. Though I've definitely had times where I haven't wanted to go to uni because of my skin. Especially when I was taking anatomy and had to spend a lot of time in the labs - the lighting in there was terrible for showing up all my acne / PIH. But I just had to get on with it - even if it meant I sometimes felt pretty shitty and wanted to hide. But I've been lucky to meet some great people and make great friends at uni and I always have a good time when with them so I don't even think about my skin then. And having classes / assignments can be a good distraction from your skin too. The less time you spend worrying / obsessing over your skin the better!

In lectures people aren't going to see your acne anyway really - often the lights are dimmed and everyone is facing forward / focusing on the lecture and aren't going to be looking at your skin / caring about it at all

Try and get back into going to the lectures! It's better than causing yourself stress trying to catch up on all the material later / when exams are around the corner! tongue.png

Lol, I always hated labs because of skin and students tend to be selfish. Just because I am quiet, they think I don't want to do anything? They should at least offer... A kind person would offer someone if they wanna do something. Apparently they aren't nice so I don't care. I will let them do all the work. :)

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#7 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Medicine, Physics-Chemistry-Maths, gardening

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

I wish i could, this msc course sucks it's so difficult and i am allowed to miss only 2 days per semester.. but i am depressed about my skin and not in mood to study..

Edited by maria199, 04 November 2013 - 12:19 PM.

What clears my acne:

Spironolactone 100 mg + limiting dairy

indoxyl (duac) gel + aha + baby brush for comedones.

3hnd.jpg

#8 ZitsSuck21

ZitsSuck21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have assignments to due in a few weeks but I have awful motivation, find it really hard to study too :/ And do you guys think it's true that people don't take much notice of your skin during lectures?

#9 Sunny_D

Sunny_D

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

ZitsSuck21 I think if you have acne you tend to notice other peoples skin BUT I guess if you don't have acne then it isn't something that you see. Idk. And, I don't really miss uni lectures anymore but I DID used to miss college and often dash home, trying to hide my face cos I was DEEPLY ashamed of it. But, tbh it is definitely worse now than college days. :( 

#10 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have assignments to due in a few weeks but I have awful motivation, find it really hard to study too :/ And do you guys think it's true that people don't take much notice of your skin during lectures?

Yes I really don't think people notice your skin much or notice is at all in lectures. We're just so concerned about it ourselves that we think other people notice it all the time

Think of times you have been in lectures. Do you yourself spend much time looking at other people really closely?

I don't anyway...

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#11 TemperateCent

TemperateCent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

I hate being the only one in college that has severe acne (the only other cases I see are freshman who have mild acne but even then that's rare). I really have the worst acne in my entire college.

However, I would not skip on class or work because of acne.... Do you have any one to talk to about this?

@TemperateCent ; . The reason you still have acne is because you deserve it. 

#12 TrentAH

TrentAH

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Story of my life, the last 2 weeks I have called in sick 3 times.....it consumes you if you let it.

Edited by TrentAH, 13 November 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#13 ZitsSuck21

ZitsSuck21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Yeah I find that one of the best things to do is talk about it, my parents are really trying their best to help me as a result. And when I told my best friend he said that he doesn't even notice and if they disappeared in the morning he wouldn't notice any difference either which I suppose gives us all hope :) gonna try my best to go to all lectures til the xmas break. at the end of the day lifes too short to be worrying about your skin, I don't wanna be looking back in years to come and be thinking what if what if what if. 

#14 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Can't. Although a life with acne is no stroll in the park, a life with no money is infinitely worse.

so true. exceptionally well put.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

#15 jordan12

jordan12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I remember considering skipping classes a couple of times on really bad acne days. I also remember one of my instructors in an advertising class I took used acne products as an example for certain concepts a few times, and I was thinking to myself, "stare straight ahead...vacant stare. Whatever you do, don't call attention to yourself."

#16 ivette023

ivette023

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

I have always suffered from acne but it has been at its worst for the past 3 months. I recently moved to a new and big city from a small town, changed school, got a new job and became much independent. I don't know if it is stress but my periods have also stopped. Anyway, I have been watching my diet a lot but I still break out. Horribly. I miss school and job frequently. I sometimes want to gather all my stuff and move back
.leaving all of my dreams and .accomplishments behind.

I just want to be home all day looking at the mirror and doing some research on how to cure this for once and for all. I am tired of looking at the mirror and feeling
horrible. This acne situation has remarkably destroyed my social life. I need help:( I can't do it anymore.

I hate when people tell me how bad my face is getting like I didn't know. That depresses me more:(

#17 Ballen

Ballen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Psychology, Psychedelics, Music, Movies and Entrepreneurship.

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

loved the post about no money-  don't let acne rob you of your earning potential, and college is the key to that, so chin up and SHOW up....wear a hoodie or sit in the back, just SHOW UP

also I find being really busy, like studying when I was at uni was a good thing for me...takes my mind off my problems and it is such a positive goal, getting a degree is something YOU CAN control! 

Actually, there is no correlation between high earning (millionaires) and education level. I dropped out of collage because I was studying the wrong thing for me, 1 year ago. I'm now earning millions.

Dreams do come true.

#18 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well good for you, but for the rest of the 99% of the world, let's encourage getting an education- fair enough?

And for the other 99% who don't invent something or make millions some other way, just for the other 99% of us it is well documented that income correlates with education....

http://www.bls.gov/o...all/oochart.pdf

http://www.bls.gov/e...p_chart_001.htm

Here's to us in the 99%!! STAY IN SCHOOL!!

#19 Ballen

Ballen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Psychology, Psychedelics, Music, Movies and Entrepreneurship.

Achievements

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Well good for you, but for the rest of the 99% of the world, let's encourage getting an education- fair enough?

And for the other 99% who don't invent something or make millions some other way, just for the other 99% of us it is well documented that income correlates with education....

Income yes, millions no. Pretty much anyone (99%) can be millionaires.

I didn't mean stop learning, I just said there is really no point of going to (paying for) collage (unless you want a job which requires an education). I personally don't want to work for anyone (not that you do), but myself.

Most people don't really want anything bad enough, so its probably best for them to stay in school. :)

Dreams do come true.

#20 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

Income yes, millions no. Pretty much anyone (99%) can be millionaires.

I didn't mean stop learning, I just said there is really no point of going to (paying for) collage (unless you want a job which requires an education). I personally don't want to work for anyone (not that you do), but myself.

Most people don't really want anything bad enough, so its probably best for them to stay in school. smile.png

You want to work, but for yourself? Doing what?

No one wants to "work" really, we have other things we'd like to see and do, however, ya got to have the money to survive. Thats society.

The benefit of going to college is to earn some type of education, certificate, or degree in which you can use to apply into an area you like.

If ya like what you do, you will never truly work a day in your life.

How can you make judgments for people when you do not know them or live their life? How can you justify their wants and needs for them by stating "they don't want it bad enough?" This is simply not true.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users