Note: So...I wish to have interactions with you. Ideally, lovely internet ones. I also started a blog about this, but obviously the forums are where it's at. Hence the repeating myself (I've paraphrased the blogs below).
INTRO TO MYSELF AND MY SKIN
- Myth: I used to think I'd grow out of acne. It started at age 11, got cystic once I hit my twenties. So I did my first round (LOG that I wish I'd kept better track of now that I'm doing another round, seriously, everyone who lacks motivation should keep a log in case you forget all the meds you've taken and the particularities of your reaction to the drug) which led to about only 6 months of clear skin.
- Self esteem: I like to think I'm a confident young woman, hell I walk around without make up sometimes. I also think of my acne as a dear, close, douchey friend who hangs out and will never leave. Everyone tells me I should get rid of her already and all I can say is that "I tried, she just won't leave me alone!". She's bitchy and flares up, sometimes it feels like she's got PMS. She also is not happy only occupying one place, she likes to spread out all over...my face, my chest, my back, and BONUS my arms and legs! I can't tell when people are paying attention to me or her, but at least I've figured out how to make up my face to minimize her interruptions.
- Accutane specs: I did my first round at age 21, 40mg, 6 months in 2008 with a kind and considerate dermatologist who called me the poster child for accutane and made me hate myself for the moments I was in his office. Recently I remembered how ugly my skin is and decided to get a derm to check it out again. The first one took a whole 2 seconds to say "accutane is the only cure for you, here's a pamphlet, I don't have time for you and your concerns, come back when you want the drug" and then shooed me away. Finally, I got a last minute appointment with a lady derm I'd heard about, she listened explained that I had options, but again...that accutane was probably the most likely to cure me. Finally, a trustworthy doctor! So I asked and received a 40mg perscription for Clarus at age 26, ~96 lb or 43 kg, female and fed up. No doctor has ever needed any convincing to put me on this drug...which makes me believe...that maybe I'm not moderate-severe...but plain severe with a few moderate breaks.
- What I've done: lots of topical stuff, retinoids, bp, aha, sa, toothpaste, my sister smearing a weird mask of honey, live bees, cumin and gram flower all over my face, alternative medicine -osteopath, cutting dairy, cutting sugar, cutting wheat, adding water, adding avocados (avocados are the bomb - they really help cut redness/inflammation), seeing shaman, prayer, patience, The Regimen (which I'd used as a maintenance tool for like...3 years), Paula's Choice (which is way faster and better for make up wearers than Dan's stuff, though he's way cheaper).
- Does anyone else ever wish acne was a super power? Like, if there was just a tiny bit of usefulness to this issue...sigh.
Here are some low quality pics from a while ago (late March) I had like...8 ish deep cysts at the time so I decided to take awkward pics!
Edited by Rooth, 04 November 2013 - 03:46 PM.