accutane;

63 replies to this topic

#61 CoralShine

CoralShine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

I cannot believe I have finally hit 3 months!

But thought I would share with you some things that have really helped with the dry skin on my face.

Firstly, the balm cleanser by Clinique called "Take the day off". It is a bit of a splurge but it gets ALL the makeup off and leaves the skin feeling nice and not dry.. or that dreaded 'tight' feeling. It's made without any artificial ingredients, and (at least for me) does not break me out.

The second would be a sample I received from Sephora recently. It's the Fresh Seaberry Face Oil. This has been an absolute lifesaver! I put a drop into my moisturizer and then massage it into my skin. Most of the time I do it before going to bed, but if I feel my skin is on the drier side then I'll put some on in the morning.  I only have the sample, but I may be willing to splurge on this as well because I am so content with how it works on the skin. Also, its important to mention that it does have a little bit of that "herbal" smell, but I don't find it to be something that I can't manage.

#62 LoveLouisV

LoveLouisV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Holy MOLY it's been a long time since I posted. All I have to say about that is, I'm an accountant, it's been year-end closing, and also, I recently found out I'm getting promoted, so I've been training for my new role!!! YAAY!!!

My SO came back from PA, too, for a couple of weeks, so I was spending time with him. Alas, he's been back in PA for a couple of weeks, and it's likely he'll be there on and off until the end of April sad.png MAJOR sad face. Ughhhh, it's like a punch to the stomach the sadness I feel when we're apart, but I'm dealing. I'm going to visit him this weekend, so that's a plus!

ANYWAY, back to the log.

Day 92

So...over the past month, my symptoms haven't really changed.  My skin has been uber dry, especially on my face, but the body skin is so dry it's painful if I don't moisturize every day.  The stupid zit on the underside of my chin went away and then came back and is going away again (very slowly, although it's really not going away, it's just not inflamed).  Hand rash is still there, intensity comes and goes depending on how cold it is.  And of course, my lips have been ridiculously dry.  Oh yeah, still loving the side effect of not having to wash my hair every day.  I usually go like 3 days so my hair doesn't freak out and get too dry and unmanageable, though, and I put Argan Oil on it every day when my hair is dry (or if I wash it, I put it on mid-length down before I blowdry and on the ends after I blowdry).   

I've been using some of the same products as before but I have switched it up a bit... 

• Still using Aquaphor and Chapstick on my lips during the day and the Vaseline with Cocoa Butter Lip Therapy at night.  The latter helps a TON only if I'm diligent about it, but I admit I slack sometimes. 
  • On my hands, still using the Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy moisturizer during the day and the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream at night. 
  • On my body, I switched to a slightly more moisturizing body wash (Caress Vanilla and Sandalwood) and Nivea CoQ10 Body Hydration moisturizer for my body, it's not as thick of a consistency as the Eucerin and therefore doesn't take forever to dry, which motivates me to use it more frequently.
  • On my face, I finally went to Ulta this past Saturday (the 1st of March) and talked to a sales rep, who recommended Exuviance Ultra Restorative Creme.  It's a weird consistency (very similar to the Norwegian hand creme I'm using which is thicker and tackier than Aquaphor) and has no SPF.  It's also green, which is kind of bizarre.  I was hesitant to try it, but she said it was flying off the shelves.  Also, after mentioning I was on accutane, she pointed out that it is non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic, and is safe for rosacea patients, so I gave it a whirl.  So far, I really like it.  I put it on my entire face, neck, and lips before bed; it actually looks matte once I rub it in, and sinks in very well. 
  • As far as cleansers go, I'm still using the Neutrogena Fresh Foaming cleanser at night only.  In the mornings, I either just rinse my face off with water only.  But, a couple of times a week, I'll use the Clarisonic Mia with the delicate skin brush head and the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser (not to be confused with their Ultra Gentle Cleanser, although I did get a few samples of those last time I was at the dermatologist). 

Speaking of my derm, labs are still perfect, and I'm still on the 40mg/80mg alternating (which equates to a net 60mg/day) dosage. 

So, yeah!  YAAY!!  I'm pretty happy with my skin, just wish it wasn't so dry!  My derm scared me though; he said my oil will return pretty much in full force a few months post-'tane, so I'm kind of sad about that.  :(  Hopefully it won't be as bad as before, or I'll probably get acne again and will have to go on another course of Accutane!  Let's keep our fingers crossed that doesn't happen! 

Edited by LoveLouisV, 06 March 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#63 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, day dreaming

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

SO glad to hear that your side-effects aren't getting worse.  It sounds like you are seeing some improvement, too! 

I love that you list everything you are using. I did end up getting the Mario Badescu Moisture Magnet, and I absolutely love it. It works SO well underneath my makeup. I am going to have to check out the stuff you are using at night, too (the green stuff).

Enjoy your weekend with your SO. :) 

#64 runner7891

runner7891

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for all the posts! Just starting Accutane here! It really helps to read posts from others who have gone through the process! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users