No Sugar Buddies?

21 replies to this topic

#21 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

This site never fails to entertain. Humans really ain't all that.

It is my experience as a filthy disgusting sugar addict that complete abstinence is often the only answer. Much as with most addictions. Most of us do not have the will power of Saints, some may do, different strokes for different folks. 

I have tried a low carb, actually ketogenic diet before and after the adjustment period and completely removing all sweet tasting foods i found my sugar/sweet craving amazingly vanished. But, alas, it wasn't to be and the low carb life wasn't for me - not relevant to this post i know. I realise you aren't talking about going THAT low carb and i know you know this all already, but try to remember to try and replace carbs with fats rather than protein etc. I am not sure of the long term implications for a low carb diet, if there are any and you aren't talking about a ketogenic diet anyway, but for me the less carbs the easier it was to stick to.

I used to have lemon a day diluted in water to get my fruit fix.

Personally i find sugar replacements repulsive and it wouldn't surprise me if they are actually more damaging than the "poison" that they are replacing but each to their own and all that.

It is interesting about actually craving fat. Even though i have a sweet tooth i have never been that keen on sweets and i would always take chocolate over most candy, all that low fat stuff always tasted rank to me. Thinking about it all the best tasting food, to me, is high fat, maybe sorbet withstanding, although cold does change the way the palate receives taste i think. If you want to impress someone when cooking just chuck in plenty of cream and butter. The three keys to a good chef are salt, sugar and plenty fat. 

What's strange, although maybe insignificant and no doubt irrelevant, is one of the only things i can actually digest fine now is evil, poisonous white sugar, the more processed the better.

Anyway, good luck,

#22 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

This site never fails to entertain. Humans really ain't all that.

It is my experience as a filthy disgusting sugar addict that complete abstinence is often the only answer. Much as with most addictions. Most of us do not have the will power of Saints, some may do, different strokes for different folks. 

I have tried a low carb, actually ketogenic diet before and after the adjustment period and completely removing all sweet tasting foods i found my sugar/sweet craving amazingly vanished. But, alas, it wasn't to be and the low carb life wasn't for me - not relevant to this post i know. I realise you aren't talking about going THAT low carb and i know you know this all already, but try to remember to try and replace carbs with fats rather than protein etc. I am not sure of the long term implications for a low carb diet, if there are any and you aren't talking about a ketogenic diet anyway, but for me the less carbs the easier it was to stick to.

I used to have lemon a day diluted in water to get my fruit fix.

Personally i find sugar replacements repulsive and it wouldn't surprise me if they are actually more damaging than the "poison" that they are replacing but each to their own and all that.

It is interesting about actually craving fat. Even though i have a sweet tooth i have never been that keen on sweets and i would always take chocolate over most candy, all that low fat stuff always tasted rank to me. Thinking about it all the best tasting food, to me, is high fat, maybe sorbet withstanding, although cold does change the way the palate receives taste i think. If you want to impress someone when cooking just chuck in plenty of cream and butter. The three keys to a good chef are salt, sugar and plenty fat. 

What's strange, although maybe insignificant and no doubt irrelevant, is one of the only things i can actually digest fine now is evil, poisonous white sugar, the more processed the better.

Anyway, good luck,

Sugar alcohols and other sugar subsitutes like aspartame are worse than the actual sugar you are replacing. Just google any study about that and you will probably switch. It is poison to the body.

I myself favor fat cravings more so than sugar. I always have therefore this resonates with me and makes since. I also agree with you on the long term affects of these diets. I always tend to look at other diet fads and the data for answers that maybe could shed light on situations like these. Things like yo-yo dieting are actually harder on the body than being overweight. So, in this case what are the long term affects?..

This site makes me really worry about people and the things they do just because we have the internet... some people become practioners overnight. Its really changed in recent yeras from what i've remembered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users