acne causes social anxiety

22 replies to this topic

#21 Stroking Out

Stroking Out

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yep, I very rarely go out of the house in the last 2 years, at first, my friends kept on inviting me out, to the parties etc., but eventually they stopped. I don't feel comfortable going 5 minutes to a store, let alone socialize with people. I waited for like a month while on antibiotics to get a "good face day" so I can go and get a haircut, spent 15 minutes on that chair feeling the most ugly person in the world, just wanted to get the hell out of there asap and never come back. It's hell. The saddest thing is that I used to go out a lot before this pos disease. I loved partying, talking to people, I even had girls liking me. Long gone, though.

I remember getting haircuts with bad acne, horrible. I feel you're pain, 20 mins of constant embarrassment. One time the barber accidently burst one of my spots, cringe, haha. Have you thought about isotretinoin? I was in the same situation as you, in my opinion the pro's out way the con's.

Lol ! Yes, getting haircuts are the worst. You have this huge mirror in front of you and where else can you stare at but at your own face? The barber bursting your pimple reminds me of the time when I used to have braces. Imagine having a chin full of spots and some with whiteheads. My orthodontist had his hands all over and inside my mouth area and of course he bursted a few by accident, and I remember him wiping the pus off... blush.png

Haha yeah that story tops mine, however the barber did just cover the spot over with my fringe. Kinda weird atmosphere after, because he knew what he'd done, he must of known I knew, but not a word was spoke about it...

Having acne does make the easilest things in life socially awkward.

#22 UKdreamin

UKdreamin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Yes... I have absolutely ZERO confidence without makeup on. With makeup on to cover up my scars and active acne, I get hit on quite a bit and I have some confidence, but as soon as the makeup comes off (or if it's so bad it can't be covered), I can't bare to look people in the eyes. I hate going out. I refuse to go to any event where people will look at me, or where pictures will be taken. I turn down dates, and as soon as I start to get close to someone, I push them away, in fear of them being disgusted with the way I look without makeup. I hate it. I feel like my acne is holding me hostage......and it's pathetic.

#23 patrick92

patrick92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

Acne definitely triggered social anxiety for me. Like so many others on here before acne I had a normal social life, but after a few years of acne problems I'm now very shy and have virtually no social life to speak of. At one point the anxiety was so bad I would actually crisscross the street as I was walking to avoid people looking at my face.  For me the anxiety issues have been by far the worst symptom of my acne and unfortunately it's proving very hard to fix.

That being said.....I've found that by taking small steps to put myself in "harms way" now means I have far better control over the anxiety. It can be something as small as answering a question in class or continuing small talk with a check out operator. I still feel quite nervous in a lot of social situations but it is slowly getting easier and I'm doing things I would never have dared to earlier on in the year.

Of course it would be nice if the acne would just go away :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users