I've been struggling with acne for most of my life (over 40 now) and extremely oily skin. I've tried the usual over the counter BP and SA stuff but nothing has really worked for me. Around 6 yrs ago I was fed up with getting pimples and decided to go on Accutane, I can't remember the dose (I think it was 60mg) and I took it for 3 months and it did wonders for my skin. I continued to have no major issues with acne (still had oily skin) for 3yrs.
3 yrs ago I started to break out again and started having problems with sebaceous hyperplasia (SH) which is often caused by overactive sebaceous glands. I was prescribed Retin-a with a hope to minimize the growth and prevent others from forming even though the literature shows limited efficacy. I've been using Retin A off and on for the past 3yrs with little help for the SH but it seemed to keep my acne at bay.
This past summer my acne became considerably worse and often left hyperpigmentation. I went back to my derm and basically said WTF! I'm over 40 and yet I'm breaking out like a teenager with oily skin! He wanted to put me on differin and I told him no because I've used it before and it really irritates my skin with no effect. I told him I've been doing the research and would like to be put on a low-dose accutane regimen. He said he didn't have any problems with doing that but the research states that a second round of accutane at low-dose isn't as effective. He prescribed me 20mg and I've been taking it for the past 10days but I've also continued to use .025% retin-a cream.
10 Days in:
- Previous active pimples have completely healed.
- I do have a few new small pimples but they seem to heal much faster now.
- My lips are fairly dry but nothing lip balm won't fix
- Seemingly less oily skin but my nose is still oily
- Hyperpigmentation has diminished
- Sebaceous hyperplasia seems to be diminishing
- Skin exfoliates much more than before and I had a great deal of skin cell turnover on retin-A
- My skin is both extremely dry and oily. If I don't moisturize it after I wash, it is like dry mud and will literally crack.
- I'm also going to try using MoM and Niacinamide to help reduce sebum production
- I've got sore muscles and joints but thats because I've started back on P90x exercise routine after being a sloth for months. I know many people are scared of the side effects of accutane and they should be. But I find that people often mistaken correlation with causation. If you're looking for a problem, you'll most likely find it.
- 20mg Accutane
- .025% retin-a
- Cetaphil Moisturizing lotion (Used to use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin moisturizer but it really leaves my face looking greasy)
- Neutrogena Ultra Sensitive face wash
Thanks everyone for all the great info posted!
Edited by 1moretime, 29 October 2013 - 05:12 PM.