#21 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

Middle Month 4:

I have some crummy news. Since being off of Spironolactone, my period is still irregular. I tend to have 35+ cycles. My endrocrinologist suggested that my irregular periods were due to the spironolactone, and did not indicate PCOS. However, since my periods are still irregular even off the drug, it seems to me that I do in fact have PCOS. To ad insult to injury, I started my period the night before last, and I've had 4 inflamed pimples pop up. For this reason, I decided to begin taking Spironolactone again, since is helps prevent cyclical acne. And since it seems as though I DO have PCOS, Spironolactone is an appropriate treatment.

I feel discouraged and frustrated. Because I am still getting acne around my menstrual cycle, and also because I appear to have a hormone disorder. I realize that in some ways I am fortunate because I'm not overweight or hairy, and I don't have any issues with diabetes. It's just irregular periods and acne. But I still resent the fact that there is something wrong with my body. My gynocologist told me that I would have a hard time getting pregnant, but that's not an issue because I don't want children.

This whole ordeal makes me wonder if Accutane is going to work for me. I wonder if people with PCOS have success on Accutane. I still have two months to go on the medication, so I'm hoping for a miracle.

I would love to get some encouragement. Anything will do.

#22 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hello!

I have horribly hormonal acne as well. I have never been diagnosed with PCOS, but I have similar acne to people who suffer from this, and suspect it is all similar hormones and such involved.

I got clear ten years ago on Accutane and stayed clear. For ten years! I thought I was magically cured! I was taking Diane the whole time, and when I stopped doing that - bam! Acne again!

It is super frustrating to have hormonal acne which is so resistant to normal treatments. BUT - on the plus side - there are so many people in the world taking supplements and meds to help with their chronic health issues - the fact that I found something that provides long term, controllable remission for me is pretty amazing. I am just finishing a second course now, and back on the pill. So far so good. Hoping for ten more lovely years. Or more.

So - I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or depressing - but I have hormonal acne, and although Accutane was not the end for me, with the assistance of hormone therapy I am doing awesome. The Accutane will get you clear, if you need to stay on the spiro after that to stay that way, then go for it. This is a pretty similar plan to what I have done in the past with great success.

Hang in there!

#23 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hello!

I have horribly hormonal acne as well. I have never been diagnosed with PCOS, but I have similar acne to people who suffer from this, and suspect it is all similar hormones and such involved.

I got clear ten years ago on Accutane and stayed clear. For ten years! I thought I was magically cured! I was taking Diane the whole time, and when I stopped doing that - bam! Acne again!

It is super frustrating to have hormonal acne which is so resistant to normal treatments. BUT - on the plus side - there are so many people in the world taking supplements and meds to help with their chronic health issues - the fact that I found something that provides long term, controllable remission for me is pretty amazing. I am just finishing a second course now, and back on the pill. So far so good. Hoping for ten more lovely years. Or more.

So - I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or depressing - but I have hormonal acne, and although Accutane was not the end for me, with the assistance of hormone therapy I am doing awesome. The Accutane will get you clear, if you need to stay on the spiro after that to stay that way, then go for it. This is a pretty similar plan to what I have done in the past with great success.

Hang in there!

Thank you for your response! It's appreciated!

Update:

I've been getting quite a few new pimples since starting spironolactone again. None of them are particularly large, but are annoying nonetheless. I'm not sure why my face suddenly starting getting pimply again. It had been clear for months. Right up until my period started a week or so ago. So I'm a little bit perturbed. I have about a month and a half left on Accutane, and I really hope that my skin starts clearing up again. For good. If Accutane doesn't work, I'll have run out of options. And I can't even stand the thought of being 27 years old with no end to acne in sight. Enough is enough. I can't say for sure that I have PCOS, but there is something amiss. No one really knows what it is, and so far, my doctors haven't considered it anything serious enough to warrant an intervention. I feel a little bit defeated right now. And to add insult to injury, my lips are itchy and raw. They are also inflamed and have a red ring around them. My doctor said it was due to the Accutane. So I've been putting Cortisone 10 on them, hoping it will do some good. Lousy past couple of weeks.

#24 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Week: Something or Other

My breakout was from the Spironolactone. It lasted for about a week and then stopped. It was similar to the first time I broke out on Spironolactone, though it was very mild, and the pimples went away after about 24 hours. So for the past few weeks I've been clear. Not a single pimple or comedone. I have a month and five days left of Accutane, and I'm still so glad I was given this prescription. My lips are still dry, but have healed quite a bit since I last posted. I've been using Blistex a few times a day, and that's what has given me the most relief. 

#25 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Last 8 Days:

My trip on Tane is nearly over. I have exactly 8 days left of my treatment. I'm terrified! I've been clear for a while now. All of my post inflammatory hyperpigmntation is gone, and I haven't gotten a pimple in...I don't even know how long. Even right before and during my period, I am acne free. I couldn't be happier. My skin looks fantastic, and I love being able to go out of the house without makeup. And even beneath the bright sunlight, my skin looks wonderful. I even had a stranger complement me on my skin. I can put anything on my face without worrying about breaking out. I love it. I never in a million years thought that I would be acne free. I was beginning to believe that I would have acne forever.

The side effects on Accutane have been minimal. My lips are still dry, but it's easy enough to fix with some Blistex and Carmex. Now, this isn't the most attractive photo, but I'm not wearing makeup, and I'm in the car (on of the places where my skin looked the worst).

acnefree_zps7545b5f6.jpg

#26 Mandycandy

Mandycandy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Your skin looks great, Yay for you!! Got to keep telling myself theres light at the end of the tunnel!

#27 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

It's been a while since I've been on Acne.org. Acne hasn't been one of my concerns for a long time now, and it feels wonderful. I'm so grateful. I find myself wondering why I waited so many years to seek this treatment. It's been an absolute godsend. I've been clear for months, and I'm now used to my new routine. It's simple: I wash my face at night with Dove, put some Cetaphil moisturizer on. In the morning (when I REMEMBER wash my face), I use the same dove soap, and Eucerine sunscreen. That's it. Three weeks ago I got rid of my topical acne medications. I even bid farewell my favorite acnefree product that has been discontinued. My younger cousin was pleased to have all of my products though! These steps are monumental. As mentioned previously, I go out without makeup on, I'm no longer paranoid about my skin, and I am overall more confident and happy.

As for any lasting side effects? Not much. My lips are no longer so chapped. I rarely need to use chapstick, and my hair is more oily than it had been on accutane. While I can no longer go 5 days without washing my hair, I can get away with 2-3. My skin is nowhere near as oily as it was prior to accutane, but it isn't terribly dry either. I can go an entire day without my face looking oily. Marvelous.

When I tell people that I was on Accutane, they balk. I can't count the number of times that people have exclaimed "but you don't have acne!" I always tell them that I don't have acne BECAUSE of the Accutane. So many years I wasted fretting over my skin when the solution was so simple. I look back on all of the school I missed, the work I missed, and the tears I cried because of my acne. No more of that! I have nothing but good things to say about Accutand and my dermatologist. Both have worked miracles.

#28 samanthabaker99

samanthabaker99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

SendMeAngels,

I just found your Accutane log and it was awesomely helpful!  

I have you beat:  I'm 45 and still dealing with acne and have been on Spiro for about 5 years.  The Spiro keeps me clear, but I hate the side effects.  So now I'm finally trying to decide if I should jump off the cliff and try Accutane.  Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

1.  How much Accutane did you take each day in total?  The first derm I spoke to wants to put me on 80mg a day, and that seems high for moderate acne.

2.  Are you still on Spiro?  Will you ever go off it?

3.  Would you take Accutane again if you had to?  Was it worth it?

I'm lucky that Spiro has controlled my hormonal acne, but I'm just so sick of drinking water all the time and going to the bathroom so much that people think I'm a junkie smile.png.  I've also gained some weight and I'm having muscle soreness that I never had after working out now.  Spiro is my main suspect.  Any insight would be most appreciated.

In closing, I grew up in San Diego and lived there for 25 years.  It's a great place!

Thanks,

Samantha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users