Photo

Diet Never Cured My Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 k3tchup

k3tchup

Registered Nurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Keep in mind that everyone is different. Too many variables and not enough control. Some people cheat by "adding" into their regimen and come to report that following one plan without supplematation cured them completely.

What also is not know is the health of that person. Some people have underlying conditions, often unknown to them that directly, indirectly, or accidentatly get "fixed" which then leads to them claiming it solved their acne.

I do not discredit those for who it has worked. But like i said, too many variables and unknowns

I for one was never really helped by any "diet". This includes when i was running 10k daily.  I was physically in the best shape I had ever been, eatting moderately better than I had in the past without pills. I still had problems guys. Still.

Then nursing school happened. I lost my muscle mass, dropped 27lbs in 4 months. And to this day continue to eat like @#$%. I'm not impressed at times with myself. But thats school for ya. However, my skin has not reflect my terrible regression of healthly eatting.

On a side note; I had a full physical workup a month ago because I particpated in a medical procedure to save a life. Its been well over a year since I have ran, worked out, or have ate decent regularly. Go figure.

Nurses quietly go about their work in a noble profession, uncelebrated soldiers toiling through the days and nights in service to the sick, the injured and the dying. 

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Keep in mind that everyone is different. Too many variables and not enough control. Some people cheat by "adding" into their regimen and come to report that following one plan without supplematation cured them completely.

What also is not know is the health of that person. Some people have underlying conditions, often unknown to them that directly, indirectly, or accidentatly get "fixed" which then leads to them claiming it solved their acne.

I do not discredit those for who it has worked. But like i said, too many variables and unknowns

I for one was never really helped by any "diet". This includes when i was running 10k daily.  I was physically in the best shape I had ever been, eatting moderately better than I had in the past without pills. I still had problems guys. Still.

Then nursing school happened. I lost my muscle mass, dropped 27lbs in 4 months. And to this day continue to eat like @#$%. I'm not impressed at times with myself. But thats school for ya. However, my skin has not reflect my terrible regression of healthly eatting.

On a side note; I had a full physical workup a month ago because I particpated in a medical procedure to save a life. Its been well over a year since I have ran, worked out, or have ate decent regularly. Go figure.

Running like that is pro inflammatory and thus, harmful. And not good for acne.

I swear, every time people make these posts, they always include a long list of bad diet and lifestyle habits in their examples of 'healthy' Things they tried. Apple diets, cleanses, Starvation, extreme workouts...

Anyone trying these things is not managing their anxiety & stress. Or truly trying to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle. And I can't even imagine what the OP was choosing to eat on his/her paleo diet that Mede him/her look like a 'meth head'. But it obviously wasn't a good diet. And so obviously wouldn't be good for acne.

I always love the vegan claims as if that means they ate the healthiest diet possible. It's very easy to eat an unhealthy vegan diet. look at all the processed vegan faux food crap sold at Whole Foods. Heres a tip, in the supermarket or health food store, Stay out of the aisles filled with boxes. Other than perhaps the tea aisle.

Edited by alternativista, 29 October 2013 - 08:59 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#23 k3tchup

k3tchup

Registered Nurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

For one i wasnt running for my acne, i was running, training for a marathon. There is one every spring a couple hundred miles from me its extremely popular too. I took breaks, weekends off to recover, low weight bearing excercise to all my body to recover. I had trained for 11 months. In that time i was able to go from a 20 minutes to over 2 hours of running. I ate right. Nuts, legumes, an occassional egg, fish, and chicken. I

My uncle has a master's in nutrition. He trains body builders, college football teams, and hockey as well the general public. He helped with my diet selection. He also helped with my routine because he himself was a body builder.

Extreme? To some yes. Others no. I had the most vital capacity, stroke volume, low blood pressure, pulse, and excellent lipid profile. I was a well oiled machine. It didn't help. However, i was heathy organ wise. I had a less chance of developing high blood pressure, having a heart attack, or stroke then then i do know.

So what caused it then? Mostly likely from sweating, poor hygiene practices, shaving practices, and testosterone increase to name a few. 

Everyone is different.

Edited by k3tchup, 29 October 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Nurses quietly go about their work in a noble profession, uncelebrated soldiers toiling through the days and nights in service to the sick, the injured and the dying. 

#24 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Why do I not see vegetables in this post?

I for one feel that is the only way we can get all our micronutrients. You may have an excellent lipid profile, blood pressure and sugar levels. Kudos to you.

But without a variety of fruits and veggies we do not get all the micro nutrients our body needs to prevent inflammation which results in acne.

I have been a university basketball player so my fitness levels were right up there but so was my acne. I remember during every physical docs told me your stats (blood prressure sugar pulse rate)look so good just do what youu are doing, But I always wondered then why do I have acne. I switched to focussing my meals around vegetables and not vegetables just as a side and my skin cleared up significantly. I took some time to figure out my intolerances like citrus. I do get an ocassional bump once in a while and its just because I would have cheated on my diet (excess sugar, dairy or citrus without knowing). I would say everyone should try this.

For one i wasnt running for my acne, i was running, training for a marathon. There is one every spring a couple hundred miles from me its extremely popular too. I took breaks, weekends off to recover, low weight bearing excercise to all my body to recover. I had trained for 11 months. In that time i was able to go from a 20 minutes to over 2 hours of running. I ate right. Nuts, legumes, an occassional egg, fish, and chicken. I

My uncle has a master's in nutrition. He trains body builders, college football teams, and hockey as well the general public. He helped with my diet selection. He also helped with my routine because he himself was a body builder.

Extreme? To some yes. Others no. I had the most vital capacity, stroke volume, low blood pressure, pulse, and excellent lipid profile. I was a well oiled machine. It didn't help. However, i was heathy organ wise. I had a less chance of developing high blood pressure, having a heart attack, or stroke then then i do know.

So what caused it then? Mostly likely from sweating, poor hygiene practices, shaving practices, and testosterone increase to name a few. 

Everyone is different.

#25 k3tchup

k3tchup

Registered Nurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Why do I not see vegetables in this post?

I for one feel that is the only way we can get all our micronutrients. You may have an excellent lipid profile, blood pressure and sugar levels. Kudos to you.

But without a variety of fruits and veggies we do not get all the micro nutrients our body needs to prevent inflammation which results in acne.

I have been a university basketball player so my fitness levels were right up there but so was my acne. I remember during every physical docs told me your stats (blood prressure sugar pulse rate)look so good just do what youu are doing, But I always wondered then why do I have acne. I switched to focussing my meals around vegetables and not vegetables just as a side and my skin cleared up significantly. I took some time to figure out my intolerances like citrus. I do get an ocassional bump once in a while and its just because I would have cheated on my diet (excess sugar, dairy or citrus without knowing). I would say everyone should try this.

Everyone is different.

That would be because I cannot tolerate high amounts of vegatables, specifically the ones that are high residue. I get extreme lower adominal cramps, and hard stools even with adequate water intake. I even had bleeding which prompted an emergent colonoscopy. I was told i have a not so functional lower bowel and was told to "ease off" the high residue foods like vegetables. Although i do eat brocolli, green beans, some peas, cut up carrots, potatoes weekly in moderation that suits me. Fruit, i ate as much fruit then as now favoring peaches, bananas, red grapes, different kinds of berries all again in moderation. I limit my intake to prevent GI distress. Although, even as a medical professional a not functioning bowel prompts more more fiber intake, for me it makes things worse.

This is my body. You are the only expert to your own body. Do what fits you.

Edited by k3tchup, 29 October 2013 - 06:39 PM.