Has Anyone Experienced Noticeable Hair Loss On Spironolactone?

29 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is very old, but I am experiencing a similar problem.

I have been on Spiro 50mg for 7 months, my acne completely cleared but my hair has been thinning for about 4 months.

I have just read that hair loss is a side effect of Spiro, which confused me as I too thought it was prescribed FOR hair loss.

I was wondering, for all of you who have experienced this, has your hair grown back?? Is it temporary, or perminent??

I would so appriciate it if you could take the time just to quickly tell me what your experience has been! I'm very distressed :(

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is very old, but I am experiencing a similar problem.

I have been on Spiro 50mg for 7 months, my acne completely cleared but my hair has been thinning for about 4 months.

I have just read that hair loss is a side effect of Spiro, which confused me as I too thought it was prescribed FOR hair loss.

I was wondering, for all of you who have experienced this, has your hair grown back?? Is it temporary, or perminent??

I would so appriciate it if you could take the time just to quickly tell me what your experience has been! I'm very distressed

Sorry you're experiencing hair loss. I know how upsetting it can be :(

When I stopped spiro it took about 6 months for the hair loss to slow down, and then it slowly started to grow back. If you have any more questions just let me know!

Hi - I hope someone comes across my post since this thread is so old..but I am searching for answers...

Was prescribed Spiro (100 mgs) about two years ago and had great results about 5 months in. Just under a year of my initial start date I noticed my hair seemed different. Blood tests always came back normal. Finally another 6 months later I realized my hair really was thinning and brought it up to my Derm. He said it was stress. Well it kept thinning and I finally stopped taking Spiro in October since that was the only common denominator when it came to the timing of my hair loss. It's now March and I'm not seeing any changes. Did anyone who stopped Spiro because of hair loss have success with it growing back? How long did it take?

Thank you so much for reading and responding I feel really lost and depressed about this.

Hi - I hope someone comes across my post since this thread is so old..but I am searching for answers...

Was prescribed Spiro (100 mgs) about two years ago and had great results about 5 months in. Just under a year of my initial start date I noticed my hair seemed different. Blood tests always came back normal. Finally another 6 months later I realized my hair really was thinning and brought it up to my Derm. He said it was stress. Well it kept thinning and I finally stopped taking Spiro in October since that was the only common denominator when it came to the timing of my hair loss. It's now March and I'm not seeing any changes. Did anyone who stopped Spiro because of hair loss have success with it growing back? How long did it take?

Thank you so much for reading and responding I feel really lost and depressed about this.

I had success regrowing my hair after spiro. I was on a very low dose (25mg) and it took 6 months or more for it to stop falling out. My hair is much thicker now.

1 person likes this