Photo
Accutane

Think I'll Be Prescribed Accutane? (With Pics)

pictures

28 replies to this topic

#21 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

I went to see my GP (family doctor) . I said I had tried everything for my acne and I wanted a dermatology referral. He did infer that my acne isn't that bad but seeing that it was persistent (and I was persistent!) he said that he would send a referral. This is through the NHS here in the UK and he says I'll probably not be seen by a dermatologist until March! In the mean time he prescribed by the oral antibiotic Erythromycin which I've never tried before (I've used doxycycline and tetracycline in the past). So far Erythromycin is clearing me up quite well, but I know it'll probably only be a temporary fix. By the time I see a dermatologist I will know how well erythromycin is going to work long term. 

You have to wait 5 MONTHS to see a dermatologist? Are you freaking kidding me???

Yeah, that's outrageous. Where I am in Ontario, Canada, it's 2-3 weeks. We also have completely subsidized health care like the UK.

That is better, though here in the U.S. I can see a dermatologist next day most of the time. I have a busy, fluctuating schedule and rarely am able to schedule a doctor's appointment even a few weeks in advance. I mean hell, I scheduled major intensive surgery only a month in advance without a hitch. 

#22 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm in the UK and I only waited a month to get an appointment. It's the price you pay for getting 2 months worth of drugs for £7.85 and no other fees! Too many patients and not enough staff, I work in the nhs and it's a nightmare, but there's just not enough money.

#23 Kiyanna

Kiyanna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

I went to see my GP (family doctor) . I said I had tried everything for my acne and I wanted a dermatology referral. He did infer that my acne isn't that bad but seeing that it was persistent (and I was persistent!) he said that he would send a referral. This is through the NHS here in the UK and he says I'll probably not be seen by a dermatologist until March! In the mean time he prescribed by the oral antibiotic Erythromycin which I've never tried before (I've used doxycycline and tetracycline in the past). So far Erythromycin is clearing me up quite well, but I know it'll probably only be a temporary fix. By the time I see a dermatologist I will know how well erythromycin is going to work long term. 

You have to wait 5 MONTHS to see a dermatologist? Are you freaking kidding me???

Yeah, that's outrageous. Where I am in Ontario, Canada, it's 2-3 weeks. We also have completely subsidized health care like the UK.

That is better, though here in the U.S. I can see a dermatologist next day most of the time. I have a busy, fluctuating schedule and rarely am able to schedule a doctor's appointment even a few weeks in advance. I mean hell, I scheduled major intensive surgery only a month in advance without a hitch. 

It seems to fluctuate a lot. My current doctor told me people get seen in eighteen weeks. Eighteen being the maximum, worst case scenario. I checked the nearby NHS dermatology department and they're advising 4 weeks for an appointment. My other doctor was really rude and dismissive about my acne, and said 'probably six months or so.'

My doctor said that unless I'm looking for accutane (which is starting to become a possibility), there's not much point seeing a dermatologist really. She's pretty sure certain I have acne as opposed to anything else, and she said she can prescribe pretty much anything a dermatologist can. Tretinoin is no longer prescribed here and you seem to be able to get the synthetic retnoids from your GP -- mine prescribed me epiduo and I got it as soon as I walked out of the office and into the pharmacy next door.

#24 acnewackne

acnewackne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

So I didn't have to wait until March to get a dermatology appointment, I think my GP was just preparing me for the worst possible scenario. I have an appointment with a dermatologist on the 17th December. That's about 6 weeks after the referral was sent so for the NHS that ain't too bad! I'm really sick of my acne, it's not severe by any means but it just won't go away and I'm prepared to give Roaccutane a try as I've had enough of my spotty, red, blotchy face for almost 10 years! 

#25 acnewackne

acnewackne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'm just back from the NHS dermatologist and I've been prescribed Roaccutane. She didn't have any problem at all prescribing me it, as even though my acne could be alot worse, I've basically tried everything over the last 9 years. Obviously she went through the side effects. I have a 6 week course inititally, 30mg once a day. Providing my bloods are ok I start tomorrow.  I'm excited! It's not going to be an easy few months with the side effects but I'm feeling hopeful for a good outcome at the end.

#26 MrWarden88

MrWarden88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm just back from the NHS dermatologist and I've been prescribed Roaccutane. She didn't have any problem at all prescribing me it, as even though my acne could be alot worse, I've basically tried everything over the last 9 years. Obviously she went through the side effects. I have a 6 week course inititally, 30mg once a day. Providing my bloods are ok I start tomorrow.  I'm excited! It's not going to be an easy few months with the side effects but I'm feeling hopeful for a good outcome at the end.

Did you get the accutane the day you first saw the derm?

#27 acnewackne

acnewackne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

MrWarden88: Yea my derm gave me my hospital prescription for roaccutane on my first appointment. I had bloods taken that day too. She said not to take the roaccutane until my blood results were back. She telephoned me two days later to let me know the bloods were all fine and said I could start popping the pills.

An update on my progress: I was on 30mg roaccutane once a day for 16weeks. I was supposed to do about a 24week course but I was clear after about 8weeks and the side effects were very annoying. By the end of my course my face was flushing very noticeably a number of times a day. I decided to finish early as I felt the side effects were no longer worth the benefits.

I'm happy to say that now 2months since quitting I have NO side effects and my skin is clear . I have had two or three spots since but they're very small and go away very quickly. I'm just crossing my fingers my acne doesn't return as I quit early.

#28 kntrgrl

kntrgrl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Downhill & cross country, running, backpacking, anything active!

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I began with the flushing only 2 days after starting, so annoying & the heat was almost unbearable so I totally understand stopping early.

#29 JabbaTheHut

JabbaTheHut

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

I just booked a free consultation in a clinic that specializes in acne. Took me a week to get the next available date... and was put on accutane. She gave me the prescription and blood work paper. I received my accutane pills before doing the blood test, all in the next day.

It sucks that some of you have to wait so long!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users