Photo

Okay Guys What Other Than Accutane Has Worked For You?

antibiotics face wash prescription meds spiro

8 replies to this topic

#1 emmygirl

emmygirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hey I basically wanted to start a discussion about things that have worked for people other than Accutane. I know that I won't go on Accutane because mine is hormonal and I need birth control and maybe an antibiotic to help but what has worked for other people. About four years ago YAZ and Spectra got me clear for over a year. I'm back at square one today because I was negligent and going back on both, but what has worked or is working currently for others?

#2 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

My acne is also hormonal and I've tried just about everything for it including accutane, spiro, yasmin/yaz, multiple other bcps, and tons of topicals. Spiro and yasmin both give me perfect skin, but they also make my hair fall out so I can no longer take them. What has worked for me is getting my blood sugar in check by eating correctly and taking 500mg of metformin. By doing that I've brought my testosterone levels down from around 66 to 16, and my acne is much better.

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

- Avoiding dairy

- Avoiding omega-6s (present in lots of different cooking oils and processed food and restaurant food)

- Lots of sun exposure for vitamin D3

- Things that lower testosterone activity

Edited by Green Gables, 18 October 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#4 KSG1996

KSG1996

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me
  • Interests:Soccer, helping others

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

- Avoiding dairy

- Avoiding omega-6s (present in lots of different cooking oils and processed food and restaurant food)

- Lots of sun exposure for vitamin D3

- Things that lower testosterone activity

So being in the sun (with sunscreen on) is good if you have acne/marks? Mild to moderate acne, that is. Also, any solution for male hormonal acne? That seems to be my case.

Thanks in advance.

#5 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

When I say sun exposure, I mean real sun exposure. You can't produce vitamin D when you're blocking the rays that stimulate it with sunscreen.

#6 tranaydavis

tranaydavis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Minocycline has been very effective for my moderate hormonal acne. I've been on Minocycline for about 2 years. Switched 6 months ago to Doxycycline which wasn't effective. I'm back on Minocycline, it has been 3 days  being back on Minocycline and I can already see a difference. I'm 26 and I've never taken birth control (personal choice) just Plan B morning after pill after a hiccup. Minocycline does give me headaches and an upset stomach but I've struggled with menstrual migraines so I have to start back taking my migraine medication. 

#7 jjj333kkk2

jjj333kkk2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you notice the sun helps your acne, it`s more than likely because certain wavelengths of blue light destroy p.acne bacteria, and certain wavelengths of red light speed up the healing process in your skin. You can buy red and blue lights for acne treatment.

http://www.acne.org/...ered-light-faq/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17111415

#8 Ballen

Ballen

Accutane User: 67 days left.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Psychology and Entrepreneurship.

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

A couple of years ago, I went on a holiday to Africa. I was in chlorinated water every day and exposed to sun all the time. All my severe acne disappeared, and stayed that way for a while. 4-5 months later, it was back to normal..

#9 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

If you notice the sun helps your acne, it`s more than likely because certain wavelengths of blue light destroy p.acne bacteria, and certain wavelengths of red light speed up the healing process in your skin. You can buy red and blue lights for acne treatment.

http://www.acne.org/...ered-light-faq/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17111415

I actually recommend Vitamin D because it is prohormone that is vital to several essential processes in the body, especially hormones.

Bacteria is a side effect of the inflammation induced by hormonal acne. It is not the cause. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users