Photo

Inositol's Impact On Hormonal Acne

inositol vitamin c antihistamine diet stress progesterone androgens testosterone hirsutism nervous system

184 replies to this topic

#21 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

One more thing about inositol. The myo-inositol I'm taking is best taken on an empty stomach. Glucosmart is supposed to be taken with a meal.  I read that inositol is absorbed better on an empty stomach, but taking chiro on an empty stomach might cause dizzyness, whereas myo is better tolerated on an empty stomach because it's not as strong. If you take it with food, it will help with blood sugar/insulin, but if you take it on an empty stomach it will have therapeutic purposes. It's kind of like digestive enzymes - if taken with food, they have an impact on the meal you take, but if taken on an empty stomach they help the immune system and the digestive system in general. So maybe if you switch to myo you might try that instead. 

Also, you mentioned you've been getting some facial hair? Low progesterone can also cause facial hair, not just high androgens. That's why it's so hard to be 100% sure which specific hormone(s) is/are  causing your imbalance, because so many symptoms overlap. I'm glad the NPC is helping you with other issues...this might be a sign that it's the right treatment for you. And if you feel that you need another supplement, you can always try myo and see if it works bc it's been a multitasker for me. 

#22 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thank you WishClean.

That's very interesting about taking inositol on an empty stomach. I'm definitely going to try taking my chiro-inositol (glucosmart) on an empty stomach and if I get a bad reaction then I may pick up myo-inositol and try that instead.
Ya, I have blonde hair, so it's not like I have a full moustache or anything, but concurrent with this resurgence of acne, I have noticed more stray facial hairs.
The low progesterone versus estrogen dominance versus high androgen versus PCOS symptom overlap is very confusing! I'm very much hoping that using progesterone cream will balance my hormones in general and ultimately heal my acne.

One more thing about inositol. The myo-inositol I'm taking is best taken on an empty stomach. Glucosmart is supposed to be taken with a meal.  I read that inositol is absorbed better on an empty stomach, but taking chiro on an empty stomach might cause dizzyness, whereas myo is better tolerated on an empty stomach because it's not as strong. If you take it with food, it will help with blood sugar/insulin, but if you take it on an empty stomach it will have therapeutic purposes. It's kind of like digestive enzymes - if taken with food, they have an impact on the meal you take, but if taken on an empty stomach they help the immune system and the digestive system in general. So maybe if you switch to myo you might try that instead. 

Also, you mentioned you've been getting some facial hair? Low progesterone can also cause facial hair, not just high androgens. That's why it's so hard to be 100% sure which specific hormone(s) is/are  causing your imbalance, because so many symptoms overlap. I'm glad the NPC is helping you with other issues...this might be a sign that it's the right treatment for you. And if you feel that you need another supplement, you can always try myo and see if it works bc it's been a multitasker for me. 

#23 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Apparently buckwheat is a good source of inositol, in case someone is interested in dietary sources. I think I'm going to have my buckwheat pizza more often from now on. smile.png

Edit: Here's a more comprehensive list.

Edited by austra, 24 October 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#24 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yes, try that and let me know how it goes. Although I think myo-inositol would work better on an empty stomach than chiro. 

It's so frustrating that symptoms overlap, it makes it hard for us to self-diagnose. But then again, it's not like conventional blood testing can detect some imbalances anyway. 

Thank you WishClean.

That's very interesting about taking inositol on an empty stomach. I'm definitely going to try taking my chiro-inositol (glucosmart) on an empty stomach and if I get a bad reaction then I may pick up myo-inositol and try that instead.
Ya, I have blonde hair, so it's not like I have a full moustache or anything, but concurrent with this resurgence of acne, I have noticed more stray facial hairs.
The low progesterone versus estrogen dominance versus high androgen versus PCOS symptom overlap is very confusing! I'm very much hoping that using progesterone cream will balance my hormones in general and ultimately heal my acne.

Thanks austra! I want to start baking with buckwheat too...how do you make buckwheat pizza, and can I make it without tomatoes? l haven't had pizza since I discovered that tomatoes raise my histamines. 

I dissolve a teaspoon of carob powder into my tea every morning to get some chiro inositol. On its own it doesn't have much sugar and doesn't impact glucose. I need to find some carob recipes because it tastes pretty good. 

Apparently buckwheat is a good source of inositol, in case someone is interested in dietary sources. I think I'm going to have my buckwheat pizza more often from now on. smile.png

#25 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Good to know. I'll try it with the bottle of glucosmart I have, and then go for myo- if I have a bad reaction. I recently read a two page article in Reader's Digest on the use of progesterone cream to treat PCOS. So that's encouraging. I hope it fixes my acne really soon, as I hate caking on the coverup!

Yes, try that and let me know how it goes. Although I think myo-inositol would work better on an empty stomach than chiro. 

It's so frustrating that symptoms overlap, it makes it hard for us to self-diagnose. But then again, it's not like conventional blood testing can detect some imbalances anyway. 

Thank you WishClean.

Thanks austra! I want to start baking with buckwheat too...how do you make buckwheat pizza, and can I make it without tomatoes? l haven't had pizza since I discovered that tomatoes raise my histamines. 

I dissolve a teaspoon of carob powder into my tea every morning to get some chiro inositol. On its own it doesn't have much sugar and doesn't impact glucose. I need to find some carob recipes because it tastes pretty good. 

>

#26 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Great, let me know how it goes. The progesterone cream can take a few months to work, it's one of the slowest hormonal treatments, but it's becoming popular with women who don't want to take progestin or synthetic hormones, so I hope it works out for you! I might give it another try if inositol is not enough, but switch to the brand hearts is using. Are you also using the same brand as her? 

Good to know. I'll try it with the bottle of glucosmart I have, and then go for myo- if I have a bad reaction. I recently read a two page article in Reader's Digest on the use of progesterone cream to treat PCOS. So that's encouraging. I hope it fixes my acne really soon, as I hate caking on the coverup!

Edited by WishClean, 26 October 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#27 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thanks WishClean. I use Emerita Pro-gest.

Great, let me know how it goes. The progesterone cream can take a few months to work, it's one of the slowest hormonal treatments, but it's becoming popular with women who don't want to take progestin or synthetic hormones, so I hope it works out for you! I might give it another try if inositol is not enough, but switch to the brand hearts is using. Are you also using the same brand as her? 

#28 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Cool. Where did you order it from? I was thinking of either that or a compounded cream from the pharmacist, but I need to get my hormones re-checked to be able to get a prescription. I read that soy-based progesterone creams should be avoided. 

Right now I'm bummed because my face got swollen from all the junk food I ate. I never get these swellings unless I eat something I can't tolerate. My stomach was killing me too. UGH. Sucks that I bypassed my hormonal breakouts this month and then I screwed it up with junk food. But hopefully the inositol along with vitamins C& D will help strengthen my immune system....I read that inositol can take 3-6 months for the full effect, and I haven't reached the 3rd month yet. I will also follow greengable's suggestions to increase my stomach acid to hopefully minimize these reactions.

By the way, do any of you know when the best time to take inositol is? In the studies I read, it said in the morning, but I take most of it at night to help with sleep. I was thinking, though, that androgens are higher during the day, so maybe it would make more sense to take most of my dose earlier? I'm trying to optimize my dose...

Edited by WishClean, 27 October 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#29 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Cool. Where did you order it from? I was thinking of either that or a compounded cream from the pharmacist, but I need to get my hormones re-checked to be able to get a prescription. I read that soy-based progesterone creams should be avoided. 

Right now I'm bummed because my face got swollen from all the junk food I ate. I never get these swellings unless I eat something I can't tolerate. My stomach was killing me too. UGH. Sucks that I bypassed my hormonal breakouts this month and then I screwed it up with junk food. But hopefully the inositol along with vitamins C& D will help strengthen my immune system....I read that inositol can take 3-6 months for the full effect, and I haven't reached the 3rd month yet. I will also follow greengable's suggestions to increase my stomach acid to hopefully minimize these reactions.

By the way, do any of you know when the best time to take inositol is? In the studies I read, it said in the morning, but I take most of it at night to help with sleep. I was thinking, though, that androgens are higher during the day, so maybe it would make more sense to take most of my dose earlier? I'm trying to optimize my dose...

Sorry to hear bout the new breakout, WishClean. Hopefully it clears up fast! Androgens are highest early in the day, so it might be more beneficial to take it during that time instead if you can remember to. I suck at taking supplements in the morning because I get distracted! But it helps much more when I remember and am consistent. It seems that consistency is super important in hormonal therapy.

#30 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sorry to hear bout the new breakout, WishClean. Hopefully it clears up fast! Androgens are highest early in the day, so it might be more beneficial to take it during that time instead if you can remember to. I suck at taking supplements in the morning because I get distracted! But it helps much more when I remember and am consistent. It seems that consistency is super important in hormonal therapy.

Thanks! It was disappointing to get a breakout after bypassing the usual hormonal ones. I was getting too confident and I indulged in junk food....I truly over did it! I can't even pinpoint what caused the breakout bc I ate so much junk! And I felt so horrible afterwards, I couldn't sleep from the stomach pains. So I learned my lesson at least. And the breakout looked different than hormonal ones, it was more aggressive and my face got swollen. Ugh, I can't win! I'll try the HCL and stock up on digestive enzymes. 

I'm trying to take most of inositol in the morning. it's hard bc it needs to be taken on an empty stomach, and I usually have to wait about an hour before having breakfast, but when I need to go to work I don't have that much time to wait. You're right, consistency is key with hormones. 

#31 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hey WishClean, have you ever tried antihistamines for your food-related breakouts? It might help if it's allergy based.
I was taking my inositol at lunch, but since you pointed out that the therapeutic effects are better in the morning, I'm starting to take it in the morning.
I ordered the Emerita Pro-gest from Amazon. It has great reviews.
I don't know what's happening with me, but the last two nights I have had bad sleeps for the first time since starting progesterone cream. Hearts, did you ever experience that (great sleep and then not so great)? If so, did your sleeping get back in track and how?

Thanks! It was disappointing to get a breakout after bypassing the usual hormonal ones. I was getting too confident and I indulged in junk food....I truly over did it! I can't even pinpoint what caused the breakout bc I ate so much junk! And I felt so horrible afterwards, I couldn't sleep from the stomach pains. So I learned my lesson at least. And the breakout looked different than hormonal ones, it was more aggressive and my face got swollen. Ugh, I can't win! I'll try the HCL and stock up on digestive enzymes. 
I'm trying to take most of inositol in the morning. it's hard bc it needs to be taken on an empty stomach, and I usually have to wait about an hour before having breakfast, but when I need to go to work I don't have that much time to wait. You're right, consistency is key with hormones. 

#32 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hey brenmc,

I tried both natural antihistamine and drugstore ones. The drugstore ones I tried over a year ago after the first time I got hives, and they helped but it's not healthy to take them every day. Actually, I got pulled over once when I was on the drugstore antihistamines and the cop thought I was on drugs, I was so out of it! So those were definitely too strong for me. Now the only antihistamine I take is vitamin C twice a day. Sometimes I also take allerase. 2 years ago a naturopath gave me sodium chloride drops for allergies...not sure how sodium chloride works as an antihistamine, but it did help decrease flare ups. What else would you recommend? Usually, I follow a low histamine diet so I don't need to really take anything more than vitamin C, but sometimes I get red spots on my arms from reactions to things like dust or cut grass...things I can't really have any control over. 

I'm hoping the HCL will help and hopefully minimize allergies. 

I'm starting to take most of my inositol in the morning too....although I also still take it at night too because it's water soluble, and I think it's best to also take a little bit at night to have a constant stream in your system. I divide my vitamin C intake into 2 doses a day as well for the same reason, but I take that with food. Glucosmart is supposed to be taken with food to control glucose intake, but theoretically if taken on an empty stomach it may have therapeutic purposes. I'm not sure though. The powder I take specifically says to take it between meals, but this is the form of inositol that people take for other things like anxiety and OCD, so I'm guessing that's why it works better on an empty stomach. I guess we'll have to experiment and see what works best. 

Hmm when I was using NPC, I felt lethargic at the beginning, and it actually helped me sleep better at night but then I had trouble getting up in the morning. But you might be going through the estrogen wake-up symptoms that hearts explained. The estrogen wake-up may not happen right away, it might happen a few weeks or a month into taking NPC, so that may be what you are experiencing. How is your skin doing? 

Hey WishClean, have you ever tried antihistamines for your food-related breakouts? It might help if it's allergy based.
I was taking my inositol at lunch, but since you pointed out that the therapeutic effects are better in the morning, I'm starting to take it in the morning.
I don't know what's happening with me, but the last two nights I have had bad sleeps for the first time since starting progesterone cream. Hearts, did you ever experience that (great sleep and then not so great)? If so, did your sleeping get back in track and how?

**And to update on skin: Apart from those stupid red bumps, my oil production has slowed down a lot! I noticed it last week when I was blotting my face less. My hair also seems less oily. I wash it every 2 days but could probably do it every 3 now. A friend actually commented that my makeup seems too "drying," but it used to make me look more oily. So idk, maybe drier skin is a good sign acne-wise? But it probably makes my scars look deeper :/

Edited by WishClean, 28 October 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#33 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hey WishClean,

I'm sorry to hear about your breakout, I know how frustrating that can be, especially when you are hopeful a new treatment is/was totally controlling your acne (not that inositol won't in time, but we all hope for that magic bullet, despite experience). For me, inositol was supplementary to spiro. But I have nodular acne, so it requires a very rigorous treatment.
As for digestive enzymes, I've read some reviews which praise their ability to alleviate allergies; however, I've also read that some people have allergies to the enzymes themselves. You're not allergic to pineapple or papaya are you?
It sounds like you have very sensitive skin. I do too, I can't use many commonly recommended products. But I got a prescription for Elecon cream (not from my quack of a derm but from a clinic) and it helps with little rashes and things I get from time to time. It can also lessen the red appearance of breakouts. I know some websites discourage its use on acne lesions, but I found it helps when applied directly to them for no more than five days. The doctor at the clinic said that acne is only a possible side effect of the cream if it's used for a prolonged period, as it may cause a thinning of the skin. Be careful not to use too much or it can whiten (bleach) your skin a bit (which does ware off in a day).
I'll post an update about my skin later today (meant to yesterday but got stuck at school).
Sending you healing vibes. :)

Hey brenmc,
I tried both natural antihistamine and drugstore ones. The drugstore ones I tried over a year ago after the first time I got hives, and they helped but it's not healthy to take them every day. Actually, I got pulled over once when I was on the drugstore antihistamines and the cop thought I was on drugs, I was so out of it! So those were definitely too strong for me. Now the only antihistamine I take is vitamin C twice a day. Sometimes I also take allerase. 2 years ago a naturopath gave me sodium chloride drops for allergies...not sure how sodium chloride works as an antihistamine, but it did help decrease flare ups. What else would you recommend? Usually, I follow a low histamine diet so I don't need to really take anything more than vitamin C, but sometimes I get red spots on my arms from reactions to things like dust or cut grass...things I can't really have any control over. 
I'm hoping the HCL will help and hopefully minimize allergies. 
I'm starting to take most of my inositol in the morning too....although I also still take it at night too because it's water soluble, and I think it's best to also take a little bit at night to have a constant stream in your system. I divide my vitamin C intake into 2 doses a day as well for the same reason, but I take that with food. Glucosmart is supposed to be taken with food to control glucose intake, but theoretically if taken on an empty stomach it may have therapeutic purposes. I'm not sure though. The powder I take specifically says to take it between meals, but this is the form of inositol that people take for other things like anxiety and OCD, so I'm guessing that's why it works better on an empty stomach. I guess we'll have to experiment and see what works best. 
Hmm when I was using NPC, I felt lethargic at the beginning, and it actually helped me sleep better at night but then I had trouble getting up in the morning. But you might be going through the estrogen wake-up symptoms that hearts explained. The estrogen wake-up may not happen right away, it might happen a few weeks or a month into taking NPC, so that may be what you are experiencing. How is your skin doing? 

**And to update on skin: Apart from those stupid red bumps, my oil production has slowed down a lot! I noticed it last week when I was blotting my face less. My hair also seems less oily. I wash it every 2 days but could probably do it every 3 now. A friend actually commented that my makeup seems too "drying," but it used to make me look more oily. So idk, maybe drier skin is a good sign acne-wise? But it probably makes my scars look deeper :/

Edited by brenmc, 29 October 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#34 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

That's strange... it could be coincidence, or it could be that you are still early on in using it. Are you stressed out or changed your diet at all? Those kinds of things can sometimes influence sleep.

I sleep well all the time now, except when I drink coffee at night like an idiot! lol

#35 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Ya, could be a coincidence. But, since I started NPC my sleeps have improved dramatically, with the exception of the last few nights. I’m wondering if I need to adjust my dose or something…I’ve posted an update on my topic if you want to check it out.

That's strange... it could be coincidence, or it could be that you are still early on in using it. Are you stressed out or changed your diet at all? Those kinds of things can sometimes influence sleep.

I sleep well all the time now, except when I drink coffee at night like an idiot! lol

#36 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thanks brenmc! I hope your sleep improves soon. 

I usually take digest spectrum and it hasn't caused issues for me before - in fact, it has helped me a lot in the past. It has papaya I believe. I've never heard of elecon cream, I'll check it out. Since I moved to a new city, I haven't been able to find a derm. The doctor I go to wants to recheck my vitamin D levels to see whether or not I was able to absorb the D2 supplements she prescribed. If my D levels have't increased since I last checked them, I may have trouble with malabsorption. Which could explain why all the supplements and herbs that got me clear in the past weren't working this time around.

These past 2 days I have been drinking aloe vera juice at night and also using it as a toner and my skin is calming down. The swelling is almost gone, but I still have a red spot that won't go away...there's no puss in it, and when I tried to extract it it got swollen so I'm leaving it alone now. 

Hey WishClean,

I'm sorry to hear about your breakout, I know how frustrating that can be, especially when you are hopeful a new treatment is/was totally controlling your acne (not that inositol won't in time, but we all hope for that magic bullet, despite experience). For me, inositol was supplementary to spiro. But I have nodular acne, so it requires a very rigorous treatment.
As for digestive enzymes, I've read some reviews which praise their ability to alleviate allergies; however, I've also read that some people have allergies to the enzymes themselves. You're not allergic to pineapple or papaya are you?
It sounds like you have very sensitive skin. I do too, I can't use many commonly recommended products. But I got a prescription for Elecon cream (not from my quack of a derm but from a clinic) and it helps with little rashes and things I get from time to time. It can also lessen the red appearance of breakouts. I know some websites discourage its use on acne lesions, but I found it helps when applied directly to them for no more than five days. The doctor at the clinic said that acne is only a possible side effect of the cream if it's used for a prolonged period, as it may cause a thinning of the skin. Be careful not to use too much or it can whiten (bleach) your skin a bit (which does ware off in a day).
I'll post an update about my skin later today (meant to yesterday but got stuck at school).
Sending you healing vibes. smile.png

#37 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hey greengables & anyone else who might know about this.

I have noticed a significant reduction in facial hair/fuzz & chin hair, but none yet on my body. I'm still not 3 months into inositol, and not even taking the full dose of the clinical studies so I'll definitely give it at least 6 months. But, from what I'm reading, it can increase estradiol....so I guess it's also estrogenic in addition to boosting progesterone and suppressing androgens. I'm wondering if I should add DIM at some point to make sure my estrogen doesn't rise too much. I noticed some mid-section weight gain but this started before inositol, when I stupidly picked up smoking again. I quit now, but haven't shifted the weight yet...that might also be due to gastrointestinal issues bc smoking aggravated my IBS. When I weighed myself, though, I was the same weight, so it could be water weight, who knows. Anyway, I'm guessing based on my regular cycle that my estrogen is either "normal" or more than I need. That's why I'm thinking whether I should at some point complement inositol with DIM. Before DIM, I would like to try adding more fiber to my diet, do you think this will help filter out excess estrogens? Normally, shouldn't the increase in estradiol be balanced by the increase in progesterone that inositol stimulates? 

What do you make of these results for hirsutism? There is also a slight increase in cholesterol, which I guess I'll need to keep an eye on in case I need to take this long term or do a maintenance dose in the future. This study reports these results after 6 months:

No changes in BMI were observed. The hirsutism decreased after therapy (P < 0.001). Total androgens, FSH and LH concentrations decreased while oestradiol concentrations increased. There was a slight non-significant decrease in total cholesterol concentrations, an increase in HDL cholesterol concentrations and a decrease in LDL cholesterol concentrations. No significant changes were observed in serum triglyceride, apolipoprotein B and lipoprotein(a) concentrations. Insulin resistance (P < 0.01), analysed by homeostasis model assessment, was reduced significantly after therapy. Administration of oral myo-inositol significantly reduced hirsutism and hyperandrogenism and ameliorated the abnormal metabolic profile of women with hirsutism.

PS. I wonder why most studies on inositol took place in Italy....I guess bc Mediterraneans are hairier, I should know! 

Edited by WishClean, 30 October 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#38 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late! I just use the buckwheat crepe recipe found here (it's very easy and effortless to make, but takes a long time), add a bit of olive oil to the dough, spread it out on a baking tray and then put it in the oven for 15 min (it's like pancake batter so needs to be in the oven on its own first), take out and put regular pizza toppings on and put back for another 15 minutes. I really like the pizza. I'm pretty sure it would be nice even without tomato sauce. I was thinking of trying to mix in spinach and eggs with the buckwheat dough next time and try making some savoury pancakes on the pan.

I noticed that Stephan from Whole Health Source revisited the buckwheat recipe just now and apparently you can skip the fermentation bit! I've always done it until now and as it adds another 12 hours, it's great you can apparently make it a bit faster. The dough really doesn't keep very long if fermented, only a few days in the fridge.

Note that it's important to use either boiled or filtered water during the soaking, otherwise the phytic acid doesn't break down like it's supposed to (you can tell because nothing happens to the water at all if it's not right - it's supposed to get slimy and gray).

Edited by austra, 04 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#39 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late! I just use the buckwheat crepe recipe found here (it's very easy and effortless to make, but takes a long time), add a bit of olive oil to the dough, spread it out on a baking tray and then put it in the oven for 15 min (it's like pancake batter so needs to be in the oven on its own first), take out and put regular pizza toppings on and put back for another 15 minutes. I really like the pizza. I'm pretty sure it would be nice even without tomato sauce. I was thinking of trying to mix in spinach and eggs with the buckwheat dough next time and try making some savoury pancakes on the pan.

I noticed that Stephan from Whole Health Source revisited the buckwheat recipe just now and apparently you can skip the fermentation bit! I've always done it until now and as it adds another 12 hours, it's great you can apparently make it a bit faster. The dough really doesn't keep very long if fermented, only a few days in the fridge.

Note that it's important to use either boiled or filtered water during the soaking, otherwise the phytic acid doesn't break down like it's supposed to (you can tell because nothing happens to the water at all if it's not right - it's supposed to get slimy and gray).

Thanks so much for the link! I was super interested in using buckwheat before since it's gluten free, but now even more so if it is a good source of inositol! (: I'm so gonna cook with it now! Good to know legumes are high in it too, I'm a sicko for hummus haha.

I found this recipe on pinterest a while back, which looks SO good, and made with buckwheat flour and berries. It's a simple recipe, which could be altered easily (cutting sugar, substituting, etc.) Anyway, thought I would share: http://www.cookyourd...ry-crumble.html

#40 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

Great recipes! There's a recipe circulating on the soulcysters forum for PCOS blaster muffins with chiro-inositol from buchwheat farinetta. Apparently it works well for hormonal balancing. 

2 ½ c. buckwheat farinetta 
½ c. soy lecithin 
1 T. baking powder 
1 t. sea salt 
4 t. cinnamon 
1/2 c. flaxmeal (or fresh-ground flax seeds) 

3 mashed bananas 
2 T. brown rice syrup 
4 ½ t. stevia plus FOS (spoonable stevia, not the pure extract) 
2 eggs 
¾ c. water 
3 T. cold-pressed oil 
2 t. vanilla 
1 ½ c. blueberries 

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients, including dry stevia. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix with fewest possible strokes. 

Bake at 375 deg. For 25-30 min. Makes 12 muffins. 

ONE muffin has about 17.5g digestible carbs, PLUS about 4.5 g or more fiber (non-digestible carbs, don't affect blood sugar). 

Read more: http://www.justmommi...l#ixzz2jqLenvWa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users