Photo

Inositol's Impact On Hormonal Acne

inositol vitamin c antihistamine diet stress progesterone androgens testosterone hirsutism nervous system

245 replies to this topic

#241 glb2130

glb2130

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:15 AM

Chiming in here to say- I've had inositol for a while, maybe since February , after reading so many good things about it for hormones/acne on the internet. I never really gave it a fair go. Lately I've been noticing on certain days of my cycle I get really depressed and a little anxious. Particularly when days when my estrogen is the lowest. The other day I was feeling like this and I decided to try some inositol. It made me feel SO much better. I can't even explain. There's definitely serotonin - estrogen connection and inositol increases serotonin. Chronic stress, which is what I went thru will for sure mess up neurotransmitters and maybe I do have lower levels of serotonin, and maybe that's impacting my (low) estrogen levels and causing my breakouts. I'm going to keep taking it, it really made me feel normal when I had been feeling depressed and anxious

#242 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:professional editor, researcher & writer.
    Interests: movies, traveling, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle
    My Grocery list (low histamine diet): http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/340189-my-grocery-list/

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

Chiming in here to say- I've had inositol for a while, maybe since February , after reading so many good things about it for hormones/acne on the internet. I never really gave it a fair go. Lately I've been noticing on certain days of my cycle I get really depressed and a little anxious. Particularly when days when my estrogen is the lowest. The other day I was feeling like this and I decided to try some inositol. It made me feel SO much better. I can't even explain. There's definitely serotonin - estrogen connection and inositol increases serotonin. Chronic stress, which is what I went thru will for sure mess up neurotransmitters and maybe I do have lower levels of serotonin, and maybe that's impacting my (low) estrogen levels and causing my breakouts. I'm going to keep taking it, it really made me feel normal when I had been feeling depressed and anxious

That's great...it helps me calm down as well :) Even though I no longer feel the need to take inositol daily, I still take it for stress on top of its other benefits. Just be careful not to take more than you need...for me, 1/8 of a teaspoon seems to do the trick, no need to take more.

Supplements: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements, magnesium citrate [sometimes]. 

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list: http://www.acne.org/...y-grocery-list/

** Find the cause, find the cure **
** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

#243 lifelong confusion

lifelong confusion

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

I thought I'd chime in with my experience since I've been taking Inositol for a while now. I'm just finishing with my second bottle of powder, currently taking 1.5g a day. It has been great for my skin ever since I started taking it. Combined with yaz, healthier diet, exercise, and bp gel I seem to have been able to get rid of over 90% of my acne. Though I did notice Inositol caused some weight gain, made me feel really tired in the morning, and gave me a ton of anxiety and ocd (which I've always had to some extent) each time I raised the dosage. Overtime all of those side effects seem to subside for me. Even if they didn't, though, I would take the trade for everything that it's done for my skin. Thank you so much Wishclean for helping me discover this product. I can finally look at myself in the mirror and be happy (for the most part haha). 

I'm glad you are seeing good results! 1.5 g might be more than you need, which could explain why you gained some weight and the other side effects. Also, some people take inositol in the evening if it makes them drowsy in the morning, so you might want to switch the time you take it and see if that helps. It seems like your body is getting used to the inositol, but if you were experiencing side effects, especially anxiety and OCD, then it definitely means that you were taking too much. Inositol helps calm anxiety & OCD...once it starts to do the opposite, it means you've taken too much and you should decrease your dosage.

Actually I got all of those side effects when I started taking it for the first time, and I took 0.6g a day at first. I also noticed it makes a big difference to actually split the dosage and take it morning and night. All of those side effects are gone now though.

#244 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:professional editor, researcher & writer.
    Interests: movies, traveling, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle
    My Grocery list (low histamine diet): http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/340189-my-grocery-list/

Achievements

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

Actually I got all of those side effects when I started taking it for the first time, and I took 0.6g a day at first. I also noticed it makes a big difference to actually split the dosage and take it morning and night. All of those side effects are gone now though.

I see, then it could have been your body adjusting to it. Normally, there should be no side effects at all if you're at the right dosage. Splitting it up definitely helps, plus it gives you a steady supply of inositol. Since inositol is water soluble, it leaves the body and does not get stored, that's why it helps to take it twice daily.

Supplements: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements, magnesium citrate [sometimes]. 

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list: http://www.acne.org/...y-grocery-list/

** Find the cause, find the cure **
** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

#245 EmmaEmma

EmmaEmma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm back with some updates. I was taking Inositol for a little while -- I noticed if I took more than 1/4 teaspoon I would have splitting headaches that would not quit! I decided to take it once a week instead which turned to taking it quite inconsistently. I decided to add DIM to Inositol ... I took DIM 2 years ago in the Estrosense complex I combined that with Vitex and I was CLEAR! Unfortunately, the Vitex made my anxiety/depression so horrific. I stopped everything. 

So I added DIM (Estrosmart this time, containing I3C, DIM, Turmeric, CDG, etc) -- and man oh man, it was giving me horrible vertigo -- just awful dizziness all day long. I tried to tolerate this side effect, I want my skin to clear so badly, I told myself just deal with the dizziness and it will subside eventually. Well it has been 3 weeks and it hasn't abated so yesterday, after my dizziness was so bad at work that my boss sent me home, I decided to stop Estrosmart. 

Now I'm completely discouraged. The inositol gives me migraines beyond 1/4 tsp, the Estrosmart gives me dizziness, Vitex (the ONLY thing that worked to clear me) makes me depressed! Ugh!!!! I'm so frustrated guys, I feel I will ALWAYS have bad skin. I don't understand how I was able to take Estrosense 2 years ago (exact same as Estrosmart except it contains Milk Thistle) and be symptom free but 2 years later I try Estrosmart and bam, horrible incapacitating dizziness. 

I just feel completely out of options. At the moment, I'm only taking the minimum dose of Inositol that doesn't give me a migraine but I feel it's not working. Another thing I'm willing to try is Fermented Cod Liver Oil -- which apparently contains fat soluble vitamin A and helps with acne. I want to try it because I've never been keen to take the synthetic vit A from regular supplements. So I will add that.

But what should I do? Should I try plain DIM (Dim-plus, Estroblock). Should I give Vitex another go at a lower dose (used to take Nature's Way 1 capsule a day (400mg), even tho I'm so scared to?

What should I do? I'm so desperate, I really thought Estrosmart was going to be a winner, but of course, had to have an aversion to it.

I attached pictures of my skin, it's a mess right now. Left side is always worse than my right.  Sorry for sounding so negative, just at my wits end with all this :(  

Attached Files

#246 Geekgirl13

Geekgirl13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm back with some updates. I was taking Inositol for a little while -- I noticed if I took more than 1/4 teaspoon I would have splitting headaches that would not quit! I decided to take it once a week instead which turned to taking it quite inconsistently. I decided to add DIM to Inositol ... I took DIM 2 years ago in the Estrosense complex I combined that with Vitex and I was CLEAR! Unfortunately, the Vitex made my anxiety/depression so horrific. I stopped everything. 
So I added DIM (Estrosmart this time, containing I3C, DIM, Turmeric, CDG, etc) -- and man oh man, it was giving me horrible vertigo -- just awful dizziness all day long. I tried to tolerate this side effect, I want my skin to clear so badly, I told myself just deal with the dizziness and it will subside eventually. Well it has been 3 weeks and it hasn't abated so yesterday, after my dizziness was so bad at work that my boss sent me home, I decided to stop Estrosmart. 
Now I'm completely discouraged. The inositol gives me migraines beyond 1/4 tsp, the Estrosmart gives me dizziness, Vitex (the ONLY thing that worked to clear me) makes me depressed! Ugh!!!! I'm so frustrated guys, I feel I will ALWAYS have bad skin. I don't understand how I was able to take Estrosense 2 years ago (exact same as Estrosmart except it contains Milk Thistle) and be symptom free but 2 years later I try Estrosmart and bam, horrible incapacitating dizziness. 
I just feel completely out of options. At the moment, I'm only taking the minimum dose of Inositol that doesn't give me a migraine but I feel it's not working. Another thing I'm willing to try is Fermented Cod Liver Oil -- which apparently contains fat soluble vitamin A and helps with acne. I want to try it because I've never been keen to take the synthetic vit A from regular supplements. So I will add that.
But what should I do? Should I try plain DIM (Dim-plus, Estroblock). Should I give Vitex another go at a lower dose (used to take Nature's Way 1 capsule a day (400mg), even tho I'm so scared to?
What should I do? I'm so desperate, I really thought Estrosmart was going to be a winner, but of course, had to have an aversion to it.
I attached pictures of my skin, it's a mess right now. Left side is always worse than my right.  Sorry for sounding so negative, just at my wits end with all this :(  

I know how you feel. I recently started taking vitex and have noticed its making me feel jittery and like my heart is beating really fast ? Weird ?? Yesterday my inositol arrived in the post and i was so excited i immediately tried some. Today i am so sleepy i can't get out of bed or concentrate on anything! Maybe i took too much but soooo annoying!
I haven't heard of estrosmart. Perhaps there are other ingredients in it that you could b reacting to? I have taken estroblock brand of dim and the only side effect i had was a bit of nausea for the first few days. Otherwise no issues. I only felt it mildly improved my skin though hence why i decided add in vitex and now inositol. Maybe you should go back to the brand that helped you before since it seemed to agree with you?
Maybe trying a lower dose vitex would be worth a shot. I'm not sure why it would cause depression ??? I have found vitamin d helpful for lifting my mood :)
I've never tried fermentable cod liver oil. I take fish oil, vit d and vit a which is pretty much what is in cod liver oil. i also eat a paleoish/grain free sugar free diet. Everything i do seems to help a little so i just keep adding something new to the mix :)
Don't give up. Maybe just start with small doses of supplements and gradually build up so you can moniter for side effects. By the way i didnt think your skin was tooooo bad. It looks like mine on a good day :) I think we probably see ourselves as looking way worse then others do. but i get it - pimples are horrible and we won't be happy till they're ALL gone :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users