Photo

Inositol's Impact On Hormonal Acne

inositol vitamin c antihistamine diet stress progesterone androgens testosterone hirsutism nervous system

209 replies to this topic

#201 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

Just to update, in case anyone has experienced the same weight gain from myo inositol... [to catch anyone up, I took inositol for 6 months to stop hair shedding, which worked] it has been a little over 4 months since quitting inositol/choline (stopped June 16), but the weight has yet to come off. Frustrating... I currently weigh 130lbs, when my "normal" weight is 110-115lbs without effort. I'm not sure if my testosterone is still lower or it triggered some insulin resistance or what. Anyway, I'm still looking into it and will update after some more time. If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. I could use the help! Thanks all! (:

I am currently taking: multivitamin, calcium, zinc (in hopes to raise testosterone), fish oil, vitamin D3, b-complex, l-cysteine, natural progesterone cream. Skin is still great, so I'd rather not take DIM again unless I have to. I also started taking some betaine hcl (with pepsin) again a few days ago hoping it could help with the weight and bloating.

Edited by hearts, 05 November 2014 - 01:39 PM.

living life as happy and natural as I can! ♡ ☮ ❀ ॐ ☼

>>--> .. >>--> .. >>--> 

[clear]: fish oil, multi vitamins & minerals + extra d3, b-complex, l-cysteine, natural progesterone cream

#202 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:12 AM

Just to update, in case anyone has experienced the same weight gain from myo inositol... [to catch anyone up, I took inositol for 6 months to stop hair shedding, which worked] it has been a little over 4 months since quitting inositol/choline (stopped June 16), but the weight has yet to come off. Frustrating... I currently weigh 130lbs, when my "normal" weight is 110-115lbs without effort. I'm not sure if my testosterone is still lower or it triggered some insulin resistance or what. Anyway, I'm still looking into it and will update after some more time. If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. I could use the help! Thanks all! (:

I am currently taking: multivitamin, calcium, zinc (in hopes to raise testosterone), fish oil, vitamin D3, b-complex, l-cysteine, natural progesterone cream. Skin is still great, so I'd rather not take DIM again unless I have to. I also started taking some betaine hcl (with pepsin) again a few days ago hoping it could help with the weight and bloating.

Hey hearts,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you still haven't lost the weight...but at least the hair shedding stopped and inositol helped you with that.  As I said before, thin women seem to experience some weight gain on inositol, whereas overweight women (Esp. with PCOS) use it for weight loss. My guess is that, in lowering your testosterone, inositol has tipped the balance towards estrogen. Since you had estrogen dominance before, DIM might be the way to go once again until you lose the weight. For me personally, DIM seems to make me a bit bloated on certain days of the month, but maybe for you it can help with weight loss.

I recently re-added evening primrose to my regime, which for some women it can help with weight loss. Evening primrose & vitex helped me lose weight the first time I took them coming off of birth control.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#203 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hey hearts,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you still haven't lost the weight...but at least the hair shedding stopped and inositol helped you with that.  As I said before, thin women seem to experience some weight gain on inositol, whereas overweight women (Esp. with PCOS) use it for weight loss. My guess is that, in lowering your testosterone, inositol has tipped the balance towards estrogen. Since you had estrogen dominance before, DIM might be the way to go once again until you lose the weight. For me personally, DIM seems to make me a bit bloated on certain days of the month, but maybe for you it can help with weight loss.

I recently re-added evening primrose to my regime, which for some women it can help with weight loss. Evening primrose & vitex helped me lose weight the first time I took them coming off of birth control.

Thanks for the reply, WishClean! I think you are probably right, that estrogen is dominant again — this time causing extra weight in the typical female areas instead of causing acne. Grr! I am so sensitive to estrogen. Even though I am using progesterone every night, it still hasn't helped with the weight. Inositol also messed up my cycle so maybe it'll just take more time to level out.

Those are good suggestions. I've never tried evening primrose or vitex before... taking something else hormonal scares me a little at this point because I don't want to screw anything else up, if that makes sense. However, I have read EPO can help with weight so I might try that or take DIM again if I can't get this under control soon. Is EPO a long-term thing or is it more like vitex? This has gotta be a hormonal issue because I gained the EXACT same amount of weight on spironolactone and wasn't able to drop it until I completely quit taking it. Probably because spiro lowers testosterone and is a little estrogenic.

Anyway, how is Europe treating you? Is your skin still doing well? It's good to hear from you again! (:

Edited by hearts, 06 November 2014 - 04:50 PM.

>>--> .. >>--> .. >>--> 

[clear]: fish oil, multi vitamins & minerals + extra d3, b-complex, l-cysteine, natural progesterone cream

#204 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'm curious about this because of all the studies that show inositol works to lower androgens. With herbs there isn't a lot (if any) proof that they will help. 

I don't have PCOS personally so no insulin resistance. I've actually always been thin if not underweight. Would inositol still help me? I have high DHEA which I believe is the root cause of my problems.

Another thing I was wondering is will myo-inositol help at all or is DCI the only thing that works? All reweaves I could find were for DCI.. I don't live in the US and can't find DCI anywhere in my country. It's illegal to order it from abroad too as it's classified as a drug!?

#205 girl1777

girl1777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the link, brenmc, that's a very interesting article. I actually didn't have any issues with insulin before going on birth control...after that, my metabolism changed and also my blood sugar and blood pressure would drop very abruptly. For me, vitex was what helped my body get back on track but sadly, I can't seem to tolerate it anymore. I blame my stomach problems, which are probably due to all the antibiotics I took for acne. Vicious cycle. 

Have you tried turmeric for inflammation? I mix it with yogurt as a mark, but there are people who take it internally. Cinnamon pills also work for IR, but I can't take those due to histamine issues. 

@ hearts, glad you are losing weight! Yes, I think thin women tend to gain weight on anti-androgens, that's just one of those things we have to put up with for clear skin. The only time I actually lost weight was on vitex and then on multivitamins....DIM seems to be making me a bit bloated, especially if I take more :/ Not sure why, though....can you think of any reasons? My only guess would be that, along with lowering the bad estrogens, it's increasing the good ones...could that be why?

Hi Wishclean,

I've been reading this thread for the last 2 days trying ti get some understanding of how inositol might work with acne and hirsutism. I'm still really comfused so I thought you might be able to shed some light ! I'v always struggled with acne since I was 13 ( I am now 35) . I've had clear years and not so clear ones but the problem's always been there. I've been pregnant 2 times and both pregnancies( and while I was nursing) I was completely clear - not even a small pimple. Now that I've weaned my daughter off a little over a year ago, I've started to break out in cysts on my chin again around ovulation time. My hair is thin, I also have more facial and body hair than the average girl, get extremely crazy around my period times and crave sweets . I feel like it is an emotional up and down. I know there has to be something up with my hormones, but I'm not exactly sure what it could be. I took vitex for a while (maybe 8 months) and it worked perfectly, but then suddenly i started getting the chin breakouts again. I used to get hot flashes before my pd, but  I am also taking DIM for what i though might be estrogen dominance and thats helped with the flashes too.  If I am completely clear in pregnancy, does that mean that I don't have an estrogen dominance and I have a testosterone issue instead? would i have broken out during pregnancy if I had estrogen dominance to begin with? I'm not sure which hormone to target anymore , it's all so confusing and they overlap so much! It seems like you really know what you're talking about , so I hoped you could help! Any and all advice or insight would be appreciated :)

#206 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi Wishclean,

I've been reading this thread for the last 2 days trying ti get some understanding of how inositol might work with acne and hirsutism. I'm still really comfused so I thought you might be able to shed some light ! I'v always struggled with acne since I was 13 ( I am now 35) . I've had clear years and not so clear ones but the problem's always been there. I've been pregnant 2 times and both pregnancies( and while I was nursing) I was completely clear - not even a small pimple. Now that I've weaned my daughter off a little over a year ago, I've started to break out in cysts on my chin again around ovulation time. My hair is thin, I also have more facial and body hair than the average girl, get extremely crazy around my period times and crave sweets . I feel like it is an emotional up and down. I know there has to be something up with my hormones, but I'm not exactly sure what it could be. I took vitex for a while (maybe 8 months) and it worked perfectly, but then suddenly i started getting the chin breakouts again. I used to get hot flashes before my pd, but  I am also taking DIM for what i though might be estrogen dominance and thats helped with the flashes too.  If I am completely clear in pregnancy, does that mean that I don't have an estrogen dominance and I have a testosterone issue instead? would i have broken out during pregnancy if I had estrogen dominance to begin with? I'm not sure which hormone to target anymore , it's all so confusing and they overlap so much! It seems like you really know what you're talking about , so I hoped you could help! Any and all advice or insight would be appreciated

Hey girl1777, another thing to consider if you were totally clear during pregnancy is low progesterone... progesterone levels skyrocket during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester. The fact that vitex helped you (raises progesterone) and you have had positive results with DIM (improves estrogen to progesterone ratio) makes me think that it could be a solution for you. You can get natural progesterone cream over the counter, usually at health/natural food stores. If after a few months of using it nothing has improved, at least you can eliminate that target. NPC helped my anxiety/moodiness around my period as well so it could prove useful for multiple symptoms. Good luck and best wishes! (:

Edited by hearts, 17 November 2014 - 03:29 PM.

>>--> .. >>--> .. >>--> 

#207 girl1777

girl1777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi Wishclean,
I've been reading this thread for the last 2 days trying ti get some understanding of how inositol might work with acne and hirsutism. I'm still really comfused so I thought you might be able to shed some light ! I'v always struggled with acne since I was 13 ( I am now 35) . I've had clear years and not so clear ones but the problem's always been there. I've been pregnant 2 times and both pregnancies( and while I was nursing) I was completely clear - not even a small pimple. Now that I've weaned my daughter off a little over a year ago, I've started to break out in cysts on my chin again around ovulation time. My hair is thin, I also have more facial and body hair than the average girl, get extremely crazy around my period times and crave sweets . I feel like it is an emotional up and down. I know there has to be something up with my hormones, but I'm not exactly sure what it could be. I took vitex for a while (maybe 8 months) and it worked perfectly, but then suddenly i started getting the chin breakouts again. I used to get hot flashes before my pd, but  I am also taking DIM for what i though might be estrogen dominance and thats helped with the flashes too.  If I am completely clear in pregnancy, does that mean that I don't have an estrogen dominance and I have a testosterone issue instead? would i have broken out during pregnancy if I had estrogen dominance to begin with? I'm not sure which hormone to target anymore , it's all so confusing and they overlap so much! It seems like you really know what you're talking about , so I hoped you could help! Any and all advice or insight would be appreciated

Hey girl1777, another thing to consider if you were totally clear during pregnancy is low progesterone... progesterone levels skyrocket during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester. The fact that vitex helped you (raises progesterone) and you have had positive results with DIM (improves estrogen to progesterone ratio) makes me think that it could be a solution for you. You can get natural progesterone cream over the counter, usually at health/natural food stores. If after a few months of using it nothing has improved, at least you can eliminate that target. NPC helped my anxiety/moodiness around my period as well so it could prove useful for multiple symptoms. Good luck and best wishes! (:

Hi hearts :)
Thanks so much for your post . I actually have tried progesterone cream but I'm not sure if I'm taking the right amount or taking at the right time . Can I ask what brand you're taking ? Also how much and when do you take it ? Morning and night ? I think progesterone deficiency is definitely an issue for me because i was also taking progesterone shots during my pregnancies and they didn't give me breakouts - but would that cause acne only around ovulation time ? I have facial hair and get the breakout right at ovulation time so I thought that pointed more to testosterone but being that all the emotions of each deficiency are so similar it's really confusing me . Thank you so much for answering me in all my confusion :)

#208 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hi hearts

Thanks so much for your post . I actually have tried progesterone cream but I'm not sure if I'm taking the right amount or taking at the right time . Can I ask what brand you're taking ? Also how much and when do you take it ? Morning and night ? I think progesterone deficiency is definitely an issue for me because i was also taking progesterone shots during my pregnancies and they didn't give me breakouts - but would that cause acne only around ovulation time ? I have facial hair and get the breakout right at ovulation time so I thought that pointed more to testosterone but being that all the emotions of each deficiency are so similar it's really confusing me . Thank you so much for answering me in all my confusion

I'll answer your questions in a PM shortly — I don't want to hijack more of WishCleans topic on inositol! An important thing to remember is not one hormone is the "bad guy", usually it's multiple factors causing the imbalance so it may take a little trial and error to get things back on track. 

Edited by hearts, 18 November 2014 - 10:13 AM.

>>--> .. >>--> .. >>--> 

#209 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

DIM has helped me lose weight for sure. You had a good experience on it, so it's worth a try. :)

Hey hearts,

Thanks for the reply, WishClean! I think you are probably right, that estrogen is dominant again — this time causing extra weight in the typical female areas instead of causing acne. Grr! I am so sensitive to estrogen. Even though I am using progesterone every night, it still hasn't helped with the weight. Inositol also messed up my cycle so maybe it'll just take more time to level out.

Those are good suggestions. I've never tried evening primrose or vitex before... taking something else hormonal scares me a little at this point because I don't want to screw anything else up, if that makes sense. However, I have read EPO can help with weight so I might try that or take DIM again if I can't get this under control soon. Is EPO a long-term thing or is it more like vitex? This has gotta be a hormonal issue because I gained the EXACT same amount of weight on spironolactone and wasn't able to drop it until I completely quit taking it. Probably because spiro lowers testosterone and is a little estrogenic.

Anyway, how is Europe treating you? Is your skin still doing well? It's good to hear from you again! (:

#210 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

DIM has helped me lose weight for sure. You had a good experience on it, so it's worth a try. smile.png

Yeah, I think you're right. I will probably try taking it again after a little more time and see if that helps. If DIM doesn't help, I'll give EPO a shot... I just feel like my balance is a little out of whack since the inositol! It's good to hear DIM helped you lose weight, if it's what you wanted. Thanks, brenmc!

>>--> .. >>--> .. >>--> 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users