#1 CynthiaMarieTV

CynthiaMarieTV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have mild-mod acne
    YouTube Channel: CynthiaMarieTV

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hello girls! This topic is for you. So I finally decided to go back on birth contol after 5 months off. Let me catch you up on my story. I am 27, and a Registered Nurse. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was 23 (yes, very odd). After a complete work up, MD's determined it was genetic. (my mom/dad/grandparents have it too) I lost weight, took out salt from my diet and went to the gym.....made no difference, my blood pressure was still high. That lead me to getting put on a medication for blood pressure....this particular medication is dangerous to any potential pregnancy, thus the need to be be on birth control (well other reasons too lol) ....Anyways I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclene lo for years and then changed to Trinessa after my insrurance stopped covering ORTHO. I had horrible skin allergies to Trinessa and decided 5 months ago to stop....now the acne story starts. So 2 months after I stopped taking the birth control my acne went crazy. I never had acne, well as a teen I had a few blemishes but not really "acne"....like I do now. Like many of you I am so frustrated with this issue!!! Keep in mind my doctor wants me on birth control specfically because I take another medication that could harm a pregnancy. So she was bugging me about it, asking me often "ok, which bc do you want? you should be on one" blah blah blah. But at the time I had such bad eczema and skin allergies I was so sick of birth control. My current acne situation and the recommendation of my doctor have convinced me to go back on. I am still going to stick with my current skin routine, which you can see on my youtube channel, but I am also going to start back on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen lo. Has anyone ever used birth control to treat acne or Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo to be specific. I was on Ortho initially, but i never remembered having any adult acne...maybe thats why. Who knows! I hope my acne goes away soon, my bday and holidays are coming :/

Edited by CynthiaMarieTV, 09 October 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#2 dunedain

dunedain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

I personally use Diane 35 to treat my acne, but I've only been taking it for 4 months so I'm not completely clear. However I've had varying degrees of acne since i was 12, so it'll probably take longer to work it's magic. But it's definitely cleared me up a LOT. 

Have you considered Ortho Cyclen instead of Ortho Tri Cyclen? It's just a monophasic pill so you're taking the same amount of hormones every day and it's better for people who have hormonal acne. You can always check the hormonal acne sub-forum to find out more about OTC Lo, but I've heard good things about it too. I just think monophasic pills are better. I do think Diane/Yasmin are the best when it comes to treating acne.

How I Stay Clear:
AMCetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Foam Wash, Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion, Cetaphil DermaControl Oil-Absorbing Lotion (SPF30)
PMCetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Foam Wash, Clindamycin Phosphate 1%, Dan's 10% AHA
ExtrasDiane 35 (since July 2 2013), Borghese Fango Delicato Mud Mask (2x/week), 40% Lactic Acid Peels (2x/week), 
Benzagel 5% Benzoyl Peroxide (Spot treatment)

My personal log here: http://www.acne.org/...l-gel-log-pics/

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

In my opinion

Yasmin > Yaz > Diane > Ortho Cyclen > Ortho Tri Cyclen > Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo

I don't think OTC Lo works consistently for acne unless you have naturally high estrogen. Low-dose pills in general do poorly for acne. 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users