#1 CynthiaMarieTV

CynthiaMarieTV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have mild-mod acne
    YouTube Channel: CynthiaMarieTV

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hello girls! This topic is for you. So I finally decided to go back on birth contol after 5 months off. Let me catch you up on my story. I am 27, and a Registered Nurse. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was 23 (yes, very odd). After a complete work up, MD's determined it was genetic. (my mom/dad/grandparents have it too) I lost weight, took out salt from my diet and went to the gym.....made no difference, my blood pressure was still high. That lead me to getting put on a medication for blood pressure....this particular medication is dangerous to any potential pregnancy, thus the need to be be on birth control (well other reasons too lol) ....Anyways I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclene lo for years and then changed to Trinessa after my insrurance stopped covering ORTHO. I had horrible skin allergies to Trinessa and decided 5 months ago to stop....now the acne story starts. So 2 months after I stopped taking the birth control my acne went crazy. I never had acne, well as a teen I had a few blemishes but not really "acne"....like I do now. Like many of you I am so frustrated with this issue!!! Keep in mind my doctor wants me on birth control specfically because I take another medication that could harm a pregnancy. So she was bugging me about it, asking me often "ok, which bc do you want? you should be on one" blah blah blah. But at the time I had such bad eczema and skin allergies I was so sick of birth control. My current acne situation and the recommendation of my doctor have convinced me to go back on. I am still going to stick with my current skin routine, which you can see on my youtube channel, but I am also going to start back on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen lo. Has anyone ever used birth control to treat acne or Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo to be specific. I was on Ortho initially, but i never remembered having any adult acne...maybe thats why. Who knows! I hope my acne goes away soon, my bday and holidays are coming :/

Edited by CynthiaMarieTV, 09 October 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#2 dunedain

dunedain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

I personally use Diane 35 to treat my acne, but I've only been taking it for 4 months so I'm not completely clear. However I've had varying degrees of acne since i was 12, so it'll probably take longer to work it's magic. But it's definitely cleared me up a LOT. 

Have you considered Ortho Cyclen instead of Ortho Tri Cyclen? It's just a monophasic pill so you're taking the same amount of hormones every day and it's better for people who have hormonal acne. You can always check the hormonal acne sub-forum to find out more about OTC Lo, but I've heard good things about it too. I just think monophasic pills are better. I do think Diane/Yasmin are the best when it comes to treating acne.

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

In my opinion

Yasmin > Yaz > Diane > Ortho Cyclen > Ortho Tri Cyclen > Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo

I don't think OTC Lo works consistently for acne unless you have naturally high estrogen. Low-dose pills in general do poorly for acne. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users