This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

birth control Advice Please!

1 post in this topic

Hi all!

I normally check this website for help and I've finally decided to ask directly and join. So here's a bit of background; I'm a college student and I have been fighting acne for about 4-5 years now. I began with mild acne that has progressed to moderate acne. I wouldn't say severe because it isn't all over my face, but I do get cysts and have to deal with inflammation as well as occasional acne on my back and chest. I went to a dermatologist 4 years ago and have tried almost everything out there. Finacea, Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac, Clindamycin Phosphate, Aczone, Acanya, Sumadan, Minocycline, ampicillin, doxycycline, you name it. While on the antibiotic + topicals, I have great skin, except for right before periods. I am aware of the bad side effects of using antibiotics for too long and honestly I am at the place where I know longer know what to try. I've tried 3 different antibiotics, they work mostly, but the acne immediately comes back when the dosage is lowered or stopped. I have tried ProActiv and other over the counters and have recently gone dairy free to explore that side of the acne. I have considered Accutane but am not sure if I'm ready to take such a risk. My acne is horribly stubborn and is so embarrassing to deal with at times. I was wondering if there were recommendations of what to do next? I'd rather not take another antibiotic for fear of destroying the good flora in my body. I know some women have had good results with birth control? Or is Accutane the best option left?

Thank you so much for your time and I really appreciate any responses!