Photo

How Do You Deal With The Emotional Effects?

depression embarrassed emotional effects sad

4 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaSA

AmandaSA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I'm a YA writer and book lover.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

For starters, this is something I've been struggling with for years, even now, when my acne is under control. it's like I think back to when it was at its worst, and emotionally it's like I'm back there, sad and hopeless all over again. I don't think people who've never suffered from acne know what it's like. It's not a superficial thing, which is something I got told again and again, especially by family. So I'm curious to know how others deal with it. It's been helping me to treat my acne and live a healthy lifestyle (so I know I'm doing everything I can to get beautiful skin again) but throughout the day I don't THINK about myself as having acne. That way I don't FEEL like everyone else is looking at me that way. It's crazy how psychological it all is sometimes!

Anyway, I also wanted to share a link to a free webinar about this next Tuesday. They're talking about how to empower yourself to overcome the emotional effects of acne. And even if you don't suffer from emotional effects you still get a personalized plan for how to break the cycle of acne. 

*Moderator edit, URL removed – please read the board rules*

#2 dunedain

dunedain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I've had acne for about 10 years in varying degrees of severity depending on the stage in my life. As a teen it was bad - kids are mean, especially during middle school I find, and it was really hard to deal with. Like you, my family told me it was superficial and it didn't matter what those kids thought of me, but obviously when you're 15 it does matter! It's ridiculous that that was something I actually lost friends over. Eventually as I grew older, I was less depressed about it, but I also started wearing make-up. To the point that now, I can't go without foundation and it kills me that there are some people who I'm really close with, but I can't show them what I look like without putting makeup on.

I was almost clear at 21, but I screwed up (plan B.....i.e. a crap ton of testosterone in my body), and have since dealt acne again for the last year. I think it was almost harder emotionally to deal with (I'm 22 now) because I was so happy about being almost clear for the first time in my life, back to ugly breakouts. I avoided friends, cancelled plans, never made eye contact, hair in front of my face, etc. I would only be happy on the days that my skin wasn't breaking out, and I'd be crying when my skin was. Thankfully, my best friend is the one person who fully understand all my skin obsessions, and talks to me whenever I get depressed about it. I think you really have to have a good support team when it comes to dealing with the emotional side effects. I'm more reluctant to talk about it with my boyfriend, but he gets it and tells me that I'm beautiful to him. I mean, it's obviously a very boyfriend thing to say but it still means a lot to me. 

However, currently, I'm clear again!! I've been on Diane 35 for about 3 months and I use clindoxyl gel as a topical to help control any breakouts, and I must say, it is wonderful! It's such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders - I feel prettier, happier and more comfortable in my own skin. It's taken me so so so long to get to this point.

Also, I must add at this forum has been very helpful to me. I started using it this January and I really appreciate the community because we truly understand one another! (P.S. sorry for the long post) :D

#3 AmandaSA

AmandaSA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've had acne for about 10 years in varying degrees of severity depending on the stage in my life. As a teen it was bad - kids are mean, especially during middle school I find, and it was really hard to deal with. Like you, my family told me it was superficial and it didn't matter what those kids thought of me, but obviously when you're 15 it does matter! It's ridiculous that that was something I actually lost friends over. Eventually as I grew older, I was less depressed about it, but I also started wearing make-up. To the point that now, I can't go without foundation and it kills me that there are some people who I'm really close with, but I can't show them what I look like without putting makeup on.

I was almost clear at 21, but I screwed up (plan B.....i.e. a crap ton of testosterone in my body), and have since dealt acne again for the last year. I think it was almost harder emotionally to deal with (I'm 22 now) because I was so happy about being almost clear for the first time in my life, back to ugly breakouts. I avoided friends, cancelled plans, never made eye contact, hair in front of my face, etc. I would only be happy on the days that my skin wasn't breaking out, and I'd be crying when my skin was. Thankfully, my best friend is the one person who fully understand all my skin obsessions, and talks to me whenever I get depressed about it. I think you really have to have a good support team when it comes to dealing with the emotional side effects. I'm more reluctant to talk about it with my boyfriend, but he gets it and tells me that I'm beautiful to him. I mean, it's obviously a very boyfriend thing to say but it still means a lot to me. 

However, currently, I'm clear again!! I've been on Diane 35 for about 3 months and I use clindoxyl gel as a topical to help control any breakouts, and I must say, it is wonderful! It's such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders - I feel prettier, happier and more comfortable in my own skin. It's taken me so so so long to get to this point.

Also, I must add at this forum has been very helpful to me. I started using it this January and I really appreciate the community because we truly understand one another! (P.S. sorry for the long post) biggrin.png

I know how it feels to feel like you can't leave the house without makeup. I'm mostly clear now, but I still wear foundation to cover the scarring. i have really light skin and the scars are healing but are still pretty bad.I go out sometimes without makeup, like to the grocery store right down the road, but I'm still so self-conscious. I have to agree though, I've definitely gotten more confident over time. And, gah, isn't it crazy how a "good face day" can make you so much happier about life and a "bad face day" feels like the worst thing in the world (even though it isn't, obviously, but you know what I mean!)

I'm really glad I finally joined acne.org. I still don't have a close friend in real life who understands, really, but like the relationship you have with your boyfriend, my husband's very supportive and tries his best to understand (though like you I'm reluctant to complain to him too often because I know he won't really understand). For so long I refused to believe him when he told me I was beautiful and finally realized he was being honest and I needed to stop being so down on myself. Anyway, I can't believe it took me so long to join acne.org. I was mainly creeping around on Cassandra Bankson's youtube and blog and getting support from there.

I'm so happy to hear you're clear again! It's great that you've seen such great results in such a short time. I do have to say though that I've done a lot of research in the past year trying to figure out alternatives for myself and I've heard some not so great things about Diane 35 (especially in the news lately).  I think it's banned in certain areas because of the serious side effects so I would just caution you about staying on it too long. I don't mean to dog your methods, I'd just feel very bad if I didn't say anything.

I know how it feels though to want to stick with something that works even if the side effects might be bad. In the past 5 years (I'll be 25 soon) I've been on so many oral and topical antibiotics, tretinoin, three kinds of birth control. The birth control worked, but the side effects were horrible. And now I've got serious GI issues due to the antibiotics. I wish I could go back in time. Like I said though I've been doing a lot of research on diet and alternative acne treatments. I've revamped my diet and stopped the Ortho Tricyclen/tretioin/topical clindamycin and started taking an acne medicine called AcnEase that has no side effects. It's been such a relief to not be scared of how I'm treating my acne. It's been two months and I'm seeing great results from it. You might at least check it out, do some research and think about trying it as a future alternative to staying on the Diane 35.

here's a link about the birth control issues. (I did Yaz, Yasmin, and Ocella, too--luckily I didn't have any life-threatening side effects from those though)

P.S. Sorry for my long post too. whistling.gif)

#4 dunedain

dunedain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Also, I must add at this forum has been very helpful to me. I started using it this January and I really appreciate the community because we truly understand one another! (P.S. sorry for the long post) biggrin.png

I know how it feels to feel like you can't leave the house without makeup. I'm mostly clear now, but I still wear foundation to cover the scarring. i have really light skin and the scars are healing but are still pretty bad.I go out sometimes without makeup, like to the grocery store right down the road, but I'm still so self-conscious. I have to agree though, I've definitely gotten more confident over time. And, gah, isn't it crazy how a "good face day" can make you so much happier about life and a "bad face day" feels like the worst thing in the world (even though it isn't, obviously, but you know what I mean!)

I'm really glad I finally joined acne.org. I still don't have a close friend in real life who understands, really, but like the relationship you have with your boyfriend, my husband's very supportive and tries his best to understand (though like you I'm reluctant to complain to him too often because I know he won't really understand). For so long I refused to believe him when he told me I was beautiful and finally realized he was being honest and I needed to stop being so down on myself. Anyway, I can't believe it took me so long to join acne.org. I was mainly creeping around on Cassandra Bankson's youtube and blog and getting support from there.

I'm so happy to hear you're clear again! It's great that you've seen such great results in such a short time. I do have to say though that I've done a lot of research in the past year trying to figure out alternatives for myself and I've heard some not so great things about Diane 35 (especially in the news lately).  I think it's banned in certain areas because of the serious side effects so I would just caution you about staying on it too long. I don't mean to dog your methods, I'd just feel very bad if I didn't say anything.

I know how it feels though to want to stick with something that works even if the side effects might be bad. In the past 5 years (I'll be 25 soon) I've been on so many oral and topical antibiotics, tretinoin, three kinds of birth control. The birth control worked, but the side effects were horrible. And now I've got serious GI issues due to the antibiotics. I wish I could go back in time. Like I said though I've been doing a lot of research on diet and alternative acne treatments. I've revamped my diet and stopped the Ortho Tricyclen/tretioin/topical clindamycin and started taking an acne medicine called AcnEase that has no side effects. It's been such a relief to not be scared of how I'm treating my acne. It's been two months and I'm seeing great results from it. You might at least check it out, do some research and think about trying it as a future alternative to staying on the Diane 35.

here's a about the birth control issues. (I did Yaz, Yasmin, and Ocella, too--luckily I didn't have any life-threatening side effects from those though)

Yeah, I believe that it's banned in France but in Canada (where I'm from), they decided that benefits outweigh the risks. But I think with any high-estrogen pill, it comes with an increased risk of blood clots. There were around 11 cases tied to Diane 35 and 23 to Yaz/Yasmin in Canada, which I don't think is sufficient enough proof to demonstrate any direct correlation. Besides, I don't smoke, I'm not predispositioned to have blood clots, and I live generally healthily, so I'm not too worried about the side effects. My doctor and I are pretty close so we had a lengthy discussion about it. But still I don't plan to stay on Diane 35 forever..but we'll cross that bridge when we get there! smile.png

Luckily I haven't ever gotten any bad side effects from my acne treatments....sorry to hear about your GI problems. sad.png I've heard about AcnEase before (also from Cassandra!) and I thought about going on it, but I ended up going to the doc to treat my acne instead. Also I thought it was kind of weird 'cause you have to take so many pills a day, LOL, don't you start off with like 8 or something crazy like that?! But Cassandra's skin has gotten a lot better over the years, but I don't know what the rest of her regimen looks like. 

I've been checking the forums every day since I've joined! I've only recently started to post a lot - I used to just creep and get support from reading other people's posts, but now I feel like I want to contribute to the forum since it's helped me so much. It's a great place to ask for suggestions, tips, help with products, etc, so I'm glad you finally joined. smile.png

#5 AmandaSA

AmandaSA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

here's a about the birth control issues. (I did Yaz, Yasmin, and Ocella, too--luckily I didn't have any life-threatening side effects from those though)

Yeah, I believe that it's banned in France but in Canada (where I'm from), they decided that benefits outweigh the risks. But I think with any high-estrogen pill, it comes with an increased risk of blood clots. There were around 11 cases tied to Diane 35 and 23 to Yaz/Yasmin in Canada, which I don't think is sufficient enough proof to demonstrate any direct correlation. Besides, I don't smoke, I'm not predispositioned to have blood clots, and I live generally healthily, so I'm not too worried about the side effects. My doctor and I are pretty close so we had a lengthy discussion about it. But still I don't plan to stay on Diane 35 forever..but we'll cross that bridge when we get there! smile.png

Luckily I haven't ever gotten any bad side effects from my acne treatments....sorry to hear about your GI problems. sad.png I've heard about AcnEase before (also from Cassandra!) and I thought about going on it, but I ended up going to the doc to treat my acne instead. Also I thought it was kind of weird 'cause you have to take so many pills a day, LOL, don't you start off with like 8 or something crazy like that?! But Cassandra's skin has gotten a lot better over the years, but I don't know what the rest of her regimen looks like. 

I've been checking the forums every day since I've joined! I've only recently started to post a lot - I used to just creep and get support from reading other people's posts, but now I feel like I want to contribute to the forum since it's helped me so much. It's a great place to ask for suggestions, tips, help with products, etc, so I'm glad you finally joined. smile.png

I'm really glad to hear you've done your research too.  smile.png I was on Yaz then Yasmin for three years, then ortho for (2 I think?) years, so that's why I crossed my bridge this year, so to speak. Plus I want to have kids soon so I needed something safe for that.

That's good you haven't gotten any bad side effects. Cassandra's where I first heard about AcnEase too. (Don't you love how excited she gets about stuff? It's hard for it to not rub off on you lol) It took me a whole year to research, talk to my doctors and finally get up the nerve to stop all my acne medications and switch to AcnEase. I felt like such a dork trying to explain to people why it was such a big deal. Like, my husband kept saying, Haven't you quit already? What's the big deal? But yeah, hard to explain how scary it is to quit something that's essentially working for something else to people who don't understand.

And yeah, it is a lot of pills a day (especially if you have severe acne) but I think that's how botanical products are because there's no preservatives/chemicals/etc. I hate taking pills, but these are pretty small so I just toss them down all together. Lol

I'm pretty much still in creep mode on here, lol. That's how I was on Twitter too for the longest time, and now I'm on Twitter what sometimes feels like 24/7 (not lately though...too busy). Thanks for the warm welcome to the forums! smile.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users