Photo

A Lot Of Organic Food Contains Soy. Does This Aggravate Male Acne?

6 replies to this topic

#1 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Damned if you eat normally, damned if you don't. I've noticed that a lot of organic foods contain soy and/or gluten. Isn't this just as bad as consuming processed foods?

#2 AmandaSA

AmandaSA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I'm a YA writer and book lover.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Damned if you eat normally, damned if you don't. I've noticed that a lot of organic foods contain soy and/or gluten. Isn't this just as bad as consuming processed foods?

Um, yeah, that's exactly how I've been feeling lately. As soon as I get used to having cut something from my diet and think, Hey, I can do this, then I hear about something else I shouldn't eat. I'm a very disciplined person but at some point it's going to drive me mad! Anyway, I've heard so many conflicting things about soy, but many seem to believe it will affect your hormones, which COULD mean it would affect yours in a way that would increase sebum and lead to more clogged pores. You could always try it for a while, then stop, and see how doing both those things affects your acne. I think in the end everyone's different, so what makes one person's acne worse might not bother yours at all. Personally, I've cut out soy because I'm paranoid, but to each their own.

As for gluten, I've cut that out too, but then, even gluten-free products are allowed to have SOME gluten. I cut it mainly for digestional health, but I've read that if you have digestion issues with it, then it could aggravate your acne. But if you have no problems digesting it, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, you could always go gluten-free for a while and see how it affects you. (Though, I'd cut soy and gluten separately so you can gauge what each does to your acne.)

So I wouldn't say soy and gluten are as bad as eating processed foods, but it might just depend on your body.

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

????

If whatever you are buying has an ingredient list it is processed food.  Real food won't contain soy, unless it is actually a soybean.  Cabbage doesn't contain soy.  Squash doesn't contain soy.  wild caught fish doesn't contain soy.  almonds don't contain soy.  Beans don't contain soy. ...

Edited by alternativista, 01 October 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#4 CookieJ

CookieJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Depends on your body.

I've tried breads/milks with soy and without soy, and for me, it hasn't made a single difference, so I've been eating soy as it's more convenient for me to buy. I haven't had any breakouts from it. My skin has actually felt calmer than ever. And strangely, my digestive problems have improved a lot since eating more soy products.

Eating gluten is a different story though. I get breakouts that literally come out of nowhere if I consume too much gluten. I could have calm, clean skin, sit there and do nothing, not touch my face, and I'll break out. Usually these are inflamed red spots with no visible head.

Don't cut everything out out of fear. Do experiments with yourself under controlled conditions. Having to restrict certain ingredients makes it hard to get enough quality/quantity of foods into your diet as it is. So you don't want to be making restrictions that aren't necessary.

Edited by CookieJ, 01 October 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#5 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Something with a LOT of soy gives me a headache.

MSG also gives me a headache, even when the food itself is soy-free.

I think the main problem is that people want high flavor when they buy food. If your organic cereal is going to compete with Shredded Mini-Wheats, you're going to have to replace the additives and sugar with something that adds flavor but is also shelf-stable. Hence the excessive amounts of soy, gluten, and other weird crap in commercially made organic products. 

Do you remember when low-fat eating was a thing? They'd pull all the fat out of your favorite cookies and replace it with more sugar so it didn't taste like cardboard. Tricky tricky... I think it's the same deal here.

Pretty much you should just make your own food...it's a no-win situation with most commercial products.

Edited by Green Gables, 01 October 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

I think the main problem is that people want high flavor when they buy food. If your organic cereal is going to compete with Shredded Mini-Wheats, you're going to have to replace the additives and sugar with something that adds flavor but is also shelf-stable. Hence the excessive amounts of soy, gluten, and other weird crap in commercially made organic products. 

Don't buy them. Soak/sprout your own oats or buckwheat.  It's really not hard or time consuming. I make enough at a time for many days. And then you want flavor?  Add some chopped Granny Smith Apple. That's flavor!  Or tropical fruit.   Ginger, cinnamon, etc of course.

Edited by alternativista, 02 October 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#7 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

Soy has caused me problems in the past. Legumes. They have spines for a reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users