30 replies to this topic

#21 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

There are also thousands if not millions of mens who take prescription anti-DHT medications such as Propecia and Finasteride (to treat balding), and are no worse for the wear. 

Propecia is waaaay more potent than saw palmetto.

There was a saw palmetto study using 320mg of saw palmetto daily in MALES and it improved their acne. "Man boobs" was not a reported side effect. You have to be taking a hell of a lot of saw palmetto, which isn't really that strong, to get anything close to that side effect. 

Plenty of men experience sexual side effects from Propecia and Finasteride. Even if it's not always gynecomastia, they may experience loss of libido or erectile dysfunction. The men who encounter those side effects are probably in the minority, but it's still something to consider. I would warn someone about the potentially harsh side effects of Accutane too, even though the people who experience those really bad side effects are probably in the minority.

Edited by Jofo, 10 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#22 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

There are also thousands if not millions of mens who take prescription anti-DHT medications such as Propecia and Finasteride (to treat balding), and are no worse for the wear. 

Propecia is waaaay more potent than saw palmetto.

There was a saw palmetto study using 320mg of saw palmetto daily in MALES and it improved their acne. "Man boobs" was not a reported side effect. You have to be taking a hell of a lot of saw palmetto, which isn't really that strong, to get anything close to that side effect. 

Plenty of men experience sexual side effects from Propecia and Finasteride. Even if it's not always gynecomastia, they may experience loss of libido or erectile dysfunction. The men who encounter those side effects are probably in the minority, but it's still something to consider. I would warn someone about the potentially harsh side effects of Accutane too, even though the people who experience those really bad side effects are probably in the minority.

Sure, but where are you getting this info that men are experiencing sexual side effects at low doses (e.g. 320mg) of saw palmetto, when saw palmetto's potency is nowhere near Propecia?

The anecdotal reports I've heard of side effects of saw palmetto are men taking 1000mg or more a day. 

#23 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

Sure, but where are you getting this info that men are experiencing sexual side effects at low doses (e.g. 320mg) of saw palmetto, when saw palmetto's potency is nowhere near Propecia?

The anecdotal reports I've heard of side effects of saw palmetto are men taking 1000mg or more a day. 

I don't think there's a problem with taking a regular dose, but I'm not aware of anyone who has reduced oily skin by taking just 320mg of saw palmetto.

And for what it's worth, I started taking 640mg of saw palmetto and 250mg of nettle root extract about a week ago (yeah I'm a hypocrite). My plan was to take it for only one or two weeks just to see if it had an impact on my oil production. Without getting too graphic, I experienced one of the sexual side effects tonight (for the first time in my life, by the way). Needless to say I've stopped taking both supplements immediately.

Edited by Jofo, 12 November 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#24 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

I don't think there's a problem with taking a regular dose, but I'm not aware of anyone who has reduced oily skin by taking just 320mg of saw palmetto.

And for what it's worth, I started taking 640mg of saw palmetto and 250mg of nettle root extract about a week ago (yeah I'm a hypocrite). My plan was to take it for only one or two weeks just to see if it had an impact on my oil production. Without getting too graphic, I experienced one of the sexual side effects tonight (for the first time in my life, by the way). Needless to say I've stopped taking both supplements immediately.

I'm sorry to hear that, but the original study for acne using saw palmetto just used 320mg a day. You might want to at least try that same dose. 890mg of anti-androgens as a starting dose is pretty high for a man. The body also does not respond well to dramatic hormonal changes, but can often acclimate to gradual ones. I always recommend people start at the minimum dose and ramp up gradually if needed. 

Just to compare and contrast, I have lost count of the number of women who do very poorly when they jump on the "clearing" dose of 100mg spironolactone right away. They ask their doctor for it, because that's what nearly everybody clears on, and then complain that they feel lethargic, bloated, light-headed...and they quit. Those who avoided side effects on spiro...most started at 25mg - 50mg, and took a few months to ramp up to 100mg. 

Edited by Green Gables, 12 November 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#25 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

^^ I agree with greengables. 320mg of saw palmetto might be all you need at first. You should stay at that dose for a few weeks at least, to ease into it. Whenever I took more than that, I got some serious brain fog and dryness in my hands. 

Since you are male, though, I wonder if saw palmetto could indirectly boost your estrogen along with lowering your testosterone. I'm female and it seemed to have boosted my estrogen while I was taking it, and I read posts from men who are worried about this too. 

The best antiandrogen I have taken so far is myo-inositol. It's primarily for women with hormonal issues, but you may want to try it (it's vitamin B8) at a low dose to see if it helps you. It can be a bit estrogenic for some (if you have estrogen dominance already, which you probably don't), though, but if you take it as a vitamin supplement at a lose dose it shouldn't affect your estrogen levels. 

Edited by WishClean, 13 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#26 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, but the original study for acne using saw palmetto just used 320mg a day. You might want to at least try that same dose. 890mg of anti-androgens as a starting dose is pretty high for a man. The body also does not respond well to dramatic hormonal changes, but can often acclimate to gradual ones. I always recommend people start at the minimum dose and ramp up gradually if needed. 

Just to compare and contrast, I have lost count of the number of women who do very poorly when they jump on the "clearing" dose of 100mg spironolactone right away. They ask their doctor for it, because that's what nearly everybody clears on, and then complain that they feel lethargic, bloated, light-headed...and they quit. Those who avoided side effects on spiro...most started at 25mg - 50mg, and took a few months to ramp up to 100mg. 

I might try it again in the future and start with a low dose, if only because I hate to waste the remaining supplements that I purchased lol. In the meantime I'm going to look into some other supplements I've been wanting to test.

#27 777LB

777LB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

I recommend to try borage oil as well, its definitely helped cut back the oil on my face.

#28 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the posts and help!

I'm 15, I think I have a receeding hairline (I wax my hair up and the middle is further back than the sides) and I (yes this is disgusting) but I'm really hairy, like my monobrow grows back 2 days after plucking it, I've also noticed hairs on my forehead. I do think that this is linked with my DHT, so do you think Saw Palnetto would reduce hair growth time?

#29 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the posts and help!

I'm 15, I think I have a receeding hairline (I wax my hair up and the middle is further back than the sides) and I (yes this is disgusting) but I'm really hairy, like my monobrow grows back 2 days after plucking it, I've also noticed hairs on my forehead. I do think that this is linked with my DHT, so do you think Saw Palnetto would reduce hair growth time?

Yes, typically anti-DHT supplements ironically help increase the hair on your head while reducing the hair on your body and face. 

#30 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Inositol can work for both facial hair and - if combined with choline - receding hairline. I personally haven't tried choline yet, but I have seen anti-androgenic benefits from just inositol on its own. And this article makes sense, although I need to read up on actual studies about hair loss if there are any. http://www.progressi...l-hair-loss.htm

Edited by WishClean, 22 November 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#31 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thanks, I'm not really suffering from hairloss, but my hairline in the centre is further back than my sides. I'm going to hopefully persuade my parents to let me take saw palmetto soon. :-).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users