Photo

Tetracycline For Ten Days

tetracycline antibiotics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stella the diver

Stella the diver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi everyone, 

it's my first time being prescribed an antibiotic for acne. I've heard a lot of bad experiences with tetra on here, however I'm only going to be on it for ten days (250 mg).( I think the side effects get worse when it's taken for a longer period...) I've been having terrible, persistent chin acne since the whole summer until now, the pimples just keep coming up non-stop, bigger than ever (see gallery) . I break out elsewhere, too, and I have blackheads and clogged pores that become hard, swollen and painful...but my chin is the main concern now...  I've tried sulfur, zinc oxide, bp...to no avail.

Derm told me it will clear it up in ten days time, is that possible? Seems like too good to be true,,,  .__. 

I know that I have to take it with a lot of water to prevent irritating the stomach and my skin can become sensitive to the sunlight. If you have any other advice, feel free to give me a heads up 

Edited by Stella the diver, 24 September 2013 - 07:23 PM.

My daily routine: 

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine: 

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

#2 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

I'm not convinced 10 day antibiotic is going to clear your acne. Most people are on antibiotics long term. 3 months or more. Do you see a dermatologist? Or we're these prescribed by your GP?
Regimen:
AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone
PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+
Been taking Sprio since 1/2013

#3 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

I had acne something like what you described and was prescribed tetracycline. I've been on it a little over a month now (1000mcg a day). I only noticed dramatic improvement in reduction of cysts after 3 weeks or so. After one week what I mostly noticed was reduced inflammation, but I wasn't clear by any means, nor am I yet (but it is better).

Side-effects wise I haven't noticed anything crazy. The pill never seems to irritate my oesophagus, but once or twice I've gotten a bit of nausea after taking it (nothing major though). I've always been kind of sensitive to sunlight, but on this pill I do notice that I'm more sensitive... tired or getting a headache after being out in really bright sun for too long.  

Edited by syllacrostics, 25 September 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#4 patrick92

patrick92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

I've been on an antibiotic for a little over 7 weeks now. Like Syllacrostics, I didn't get any real improvements in my skin until around the 2-3 week mark. I still breakout a little bit, but it's much less severe than it was. Your on a different antibiotic at a higher dose than me though, so maybe it'll help get your chin acne under control in 10 days. I have my doubts though, as most people seem to go on antibiotics for at least three months for acne.

I was also told to take it with large amounts of water and to be careful about sunburn. So far I've had no side effects at all, and haven't noticed myself burning any easier though. My doctor did suggest taking it at night instead of during the day, as at least then you won't be in the sun until quite a few hours later.

Current Treatment:

AM:             Cetaphil gentle cleanser

PM:             Cetaphil gentle cleanser

100mg Doxycycline

Tretinoin/Retin-A 0.05% cream

My log: http://www.acne.org/...oxycycline-log/

#5 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi everyone, 

it's my first time being prescribed an antibiotic for acne. I've heard a lot of bad experiences with tetra on here, however I'm only going to be on it for ten days (250 mg).( I think the side effects get worse when it's taken for a longer period...) I've been having terrible, persistent chin acne since the whole summer until now, the pimples just keep coming up non-stop, bigger than ever (see gallery) . I break out elsewhere, too, and I have blackheads and clogged pores that become hard, swollen and painful...but my chin is the main concern now...  I've tried sulfur, zinc oxide, bp...to no avail.

Derm told me it will clear it up in ten days time, is that possible? Seems like too good to be true,,,  .__. 

I know that I have to take it with a lot of water to prevent irritating the stomach and my skin can become sensitive to the sunlight. If you have any other advice, feel free to give me a heads up 

Without a picture, I can't tell how your acne is, but if it is very mild perhaps it would be close to clear in 10 days. Typically acne antibiotics are prescribed for a few months. Did your derm say that your acne was a special type of infection? That's the only reason I can think of for a 10-day course. They give you 10 day courses if you have some sort of weird temporary infection that won't heal.

I had one dermatologist who gave me 10 days of Zpac (which is a stronger antibiotic) and then gave me 3 months of doxycycline.

Not to be a downer, but in the end antibiotics were probably the worst thing I did for my acne. If I were to go back in time, I would have looked into hormonal treatment the first time I got acne.

Edited by Green Gables, 26 September 2013 - 03:12 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#6 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi everyone, 

Without a picture, I can't tell how your acne is, but if it is very mild perhaps it would be close to clear in 10 days. Typically acne antibiotics are prescribed for a few months. Did your derm say that your acne was a special type of infection? That's the only reason I can think of for a 10-day course. They give you 10 day courses if you have some sort of weird temporary infection that won't heal.

I had one dermatologist who gave me 10 days of Zpac (which is a stronger antibiotic) and then gave me 3 months of doxycycline.

Not to be a downer, but in the end antibiotics were probably the worst thing I did for my acne. If I were to go back in time, I would have looked into hormonal treatment the first time I got acne.

GG, could you tell me why you wish you hadn;t taken antibiotics? I'm kind of worried since I've been taking them for over a month now and I'm worried about coming off them if my skin gets worse afterward. My skin isn't necessarily acne prone in a typical way (i.e. not super oily, hormones more or less balanced).. my tetracycline course was meant to help the healing of my skin after oil cleansing killed it and a bad bcp exacerbated the issue.  I don't mean to hijack the thread but I though I'd ask here.

#7 Stella the diver

Stella the diver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm not convinced 10 day antibiotic is going to clear your acne. Most people are on antibiotics long term. 3 months or more. Do you see a dermatologist? Or we're these prescribed by your GP?

I know right? Ten days seemed weird to me,too,  as I've read on this forum that people go on it for months and years even!  It was prescribed to me by my dermatologist, btw. She was hesitant to prescribe me an antibiotic at first because I suffered from an autoimmune illness a long time ago, that's probably why I'm on it for ten days only...

My daily routine: 

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine: 

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

#8 EmilyyilmE

EmilyyilmE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have just started this anti-biotic, and my GP has put me on it for three months. Fingers crossed for you :)

#9 Vixxen

Vixxen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've just been prescribed it for 3 months, like everyone else is saying I agree that I don't think it would make much of a difference in 10 days.. x