Jump to content

Photo

Toxic Symptoms From Vitamin A, E And D


5 replies to this topic

#1 jiggaman90

jiggaman90

    New Member

  • Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Posts: 1
    Likes: 0
About Me
  • Joined: 22-September 13

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

So heres the deal....

 

I started taking 16,000 iu vitamin A, 1,600 IU vitamin E and 2,000 IU vitamin D a day. I had been doing this for about 5 weeks. It has done wonders for my acne. I have light acne sometimes it can get to the light/moderate level. This cocktail completely cleared me up. However, two night ago I went out drinking and drank quite a lot. I woke up with what I think is toxic vitamin overdose symptoms. I had red, dry and swollen face and body skin. My hair felt weird. I had incredible mental fog and general fatigue. Am I right to think this was vitamin toxicity due from my vitamin intake and the consumtion of alcohol? If so, what should i bring my dose down to for each vitamin to ensure this wont happen again? I am reluctant to stop taking these vitamins all together because they really have cleared me up. Please refrain from the "stop drinking alcohol" advice. I'm 23 and I like to have fun.

 

Thanks!



#2 WishClean

WishClean

    Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

  • Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Posts: 1,876
    Likes: 399
About Me
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Europe
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle
  • Joined: 06-November 11

Achievements

     

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

It could be alcohol toxicity. Since you are taking all these vitamins daily, your liver is working hard to break them down. So naturally, when you drink alcohol on top of that, your liver may not be able to break it down hence the reaction you had. Vitamin A and D are not water soluble; this means they get stored in your liver and broken down over time. If you get more than you need, that can cause toxicity and liver issues, and drinking alcohol on top of that only makes it worse. So maybe you can try cutting down on vitamin A, that's the strongest out of the 3 you're taking.


Edited by WishClean, 22 September 2013 - 08:43 PM.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

 


#3 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

    Member

  • Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Posts: 605
    Likes: 81
About Me
  • Joined: 04-March 13

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Definitely reduce the A. I don't know if you've tested each vitamin separately but vitamin D is most likely to help with acne, so you might not need so much A.



#4 GouldbergVariations

GouldbergVariations

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Posts: 30
    Likes: 13
About Me
  • Joined: 28-May 12

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

This is madness...
http://www.ncbi.nlm....=Sibulesky 1999
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10232622
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15817846

Your reaction is not caused by the vitamins. alcohol is toxic look to that as an answer.

Edited by GouldbergVariations, 26 September 2013 - 01:05 AM.


#5 alternativista

alternativista

    Senior Member

  • Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Posts: 11,548
    Likes: 1,109
About Me
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Joined: 13-February 07

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Also, that definitely is not an overdose of vitamin D.  And take beta carotene, not vitamin A.  Your body will make all the A it needs and use the rest as an anti-oxidant.


Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!


#6 austra

austra

    Member

  • Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Posts: 545
    Likes: 58
About Me
  • Joined: 17-July 11

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Nothing to do with the vitamins, I'd say. I was once worried I could have vitamin A poisoning after tripling my fish oil intake for a week or so and then getting very sudden and severe vomiting fits I'd never experienced before, but that turned out to be a bad case of food poisoning. Hypervitaminosis would most likely take at least several months of high doses to develop. However, it would better to reduce your vitamin A to 10000IU at the most to be safe.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users