Egcg Supplements

26 replies to this topic

#1 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Anyone have any experience with using an EGCG or general Green Tea Supplement? Did it do anything noticeable for you? 

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/324606-flakydryoily-skin-try-this/

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327532-acne-redness-removal-trick/

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/329385-ways-to-use-milk-of-magnesia-for-oily-skin/

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/326345-oily-skin-research/

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327898-a-minimalist-approach-for-oily-skin/

#2 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Im 51 and always had oily skin with medium acne since my teens. I've pretty much tried everything and currently take Tetralysal with  BP 5%  cream. With this regimen I am still getting the odd deep nodular acne popping up and annoying smaller pimples. Also, the Tetralysal is giving me a small rash.

After reading some blogs on the internet I started taking green tea extract tablets with 203mg ECGC twice a day and hey presto what a difference. I'm 1 month into taking them and my acne has stopped dead in its tracks. I've not had one deep nodular spot since taking them and I  notice my face is less oily. I did read that EGCG reduces sebum and has antibacterial and antiinflamatory properties so that could be why. I'm supplementing the tablets by drinking green tea as well about 3 times a day.

No side effects so far except the caffeine which has made me a bit restless. I've just ordered the decaf ones with 250mg EGCG and will get decaf green tea bags so that should sort that out hopefully. 

! month in and its made a huge difference to me and as from tomorrow I'm going to stoptaking the Tetralysal and see what difference that makes. Hopefully all I'll need is the EGCG and eventually can stop the BP as well.

I'll report back in a few weeks.

#3 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Any sexual side effects? The effects you may be having are likely due to the suppression of DHT. 

But yes, please do report back. I may give the pills a shot while on Christmas break.

Edited by CBIOT13, 22 September 2013 - 05:37 PM.

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/324606-flakydryoily-skin-try-this/

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327532-acne-redness-removal-trick/

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/329385-ways-to-use-milk-of-magnesia-for-oily-skin/

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/326345-oily-skin-research/

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327898-a-minimalist-approach-for-oily-skin/

#4 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Just back from a week away. No sexual side effects so far and I'm now on the decaff tablets which state 326mg of  which I'm taking at 12 hour intervals. Still all good with no new breakouts and its been 8 days since stopping the Tetralysal. Will post back in a couple of weeks.

#5 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Update. Ive had a minor break out so am back on the Tetralysal  as I think its flushed out of my system as its been a couple of weeks since I;ve stopped. Looks like I may need to be on both for maximum benefits.I'm not giving up and will experiment as stated below.

Ordered some Bioperin and Vitamin C and will take 326mg EGCG along with 20mg bioperin and 500mg vitamin c to assist with the bioavalability of the EGCG. If my current breakout clears up quickly I will try cutting back on the Tetralysal. 

Some useful information about it here http://tinyurl.com/o8fsgsy

#6 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

Update. Only took 3 Tetraysal tablets but doubled dose of EGCG and all clear again only after a few days with acne all gone. Bioperine had arrived so taking that as well and washing it all down with Grapefruit juice which also helps with bioavailability.

My routine

2 hours before breakfast (really important to take on an empty stomach)  - 500mg Vitamin C, 600mg EGCG and 20mg Bioperine (washed down with real grapefruit juice)

Repeat this dose 2 hours before evening meal making sure its at least 2/3 hours after lunch.

ll looking good with no side effects (since I went with the caffeine free EGCG) and most importantly skin clear ,looking really good and I have more energy. 

Will update in a few weeks or unless major changes happen.

#7 accutastic

accutastic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thank you for the progress! I am hoping to try this :)

AM: Purpose bar, CeraVe Cream SPF 30

PM: Purpose bar, Aczone 5%, Vitamin C Pill 1g

QH Mint Mask as needed

Noteworthy: PDT, results up in the air

#8 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm trying this, together with a low GI diet, and 2+ cups of green tea / day. So far its going well, but too soon to tell. Experience has taught me that there is usually a honeymoon phase.

Have been doing this for just over a week now.

#9 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have to say the acne isn't getting a look in. My skin feels so much better and less oily. I've been away for the weekend and eaten a lot of bad stuff including Pizzas ,Pasta and sliced bread with my cooked greasy breakfast. In the past that would have spiked my sugar levels and definitely given me a breakout.

It appears the Bioperine and Vitamin C has enhanced the Bioavailablilty so I'm now taking one 300mg EGCG tablet with 10mg Bioperine and 200mg of Vitamin C every 8 hours. This will hopefully  keep my plasma levels steady. The Tetraysal must have all flushed out of m system by now so that cant take the credit. I'm still using BP 5% in the morning and will try and come off this after a few months. I'm hoping the EGCG combo I'm taking will be enough after that.    

#10 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Cool, not sure where I can find Bioperine. Have seen Piperine added to supplements before, but not Bioperine on its own.

#11 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

My skin is still not bad, more dry than oily, so I have let my super strict low GI diet go a bit to test it out. Lets see how it responds...

#12 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Cool, not sure where I can find Bioperine. Have seen Piperine added to supplements before, but not Bioperine on its own.

Bioperine and piperine same thing I thought. Seems to work anyway. Google it and you will see lots on the net. I use the Swanson brand but there are many more to choose from.

I dont bother with low GI anymore as doesnt seem to cause me any problems. Still no breakouts and had a slice of pizza and pasta for lunch yesterday!

#13 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

robbyangel, why do you think it works so well, I am amazed at the reduction of oil on my face? Does it block DHT or is it purely just anti-inflammatory? Will see if I can get piperine this week-end, however, the green tea extract is working regardless, so I might not bother if I cant get any.

Do you also drink green tea?

#14 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Lilo, I believe it does block DHT which explains the reduction in sebum. It is also believed to have anti-inflammatory as well as antibacterial properties so pretty much deals with all the symptoms of acne.

I'm glad its working for you without  the piperine, I guess everyone is different but having read some info online it apparently doubles the efficiency if you take the piperine with it so will mean you only need to take half the dose.

Still working wonders for me anyway. Keep us posted how you are getting on. Its amazing how quick the stuff gets to work.

I try and drink green tea during the day and maybe squeeze a couple of cups in but put 2 tea bags in each. I don't really enjoy it to be honest as it makes me a bit queasy. Some days I don't bother drinking it and just have coffee. I Don't think it makes a difference as I'm getting enough EGCG in the extract.

Edited by robbyangel, 25 October 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#15 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

robbyangel, why do you think it works so well, I am amazed at the reduction of oil on my face? Does it block DHT or is it purely just anti-inflammatory? Will see if I can get piperine this week-end, however, the green tea extract is working regardless, so I might not bother if I cant get any.

Do you also drink green tea?

How much EGCG are you taking? I've tried EGCG supplements in the past with no results, but this thread has rekindled my interest and made me wonder if I didn't take a large enough dose.

#16 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

I take GT standardized extract: 300 mg
Of which total polyphenols: 285 mg
Of which EGCG: 130 mg

I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night.

Will still try and source piperine and take it with Vitamin C as suggested by robbyangel (study).

#17 Goosy

Goosy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Will tell us about its effect please later on.

#18 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just to let everyone know, have quite a breakout on chin and forehead area. I am premenstrual, so egcg is obviously not tremendously effective in this regard. What next?!

#19 robbyangel

robbyangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Just to let everyone know, have quite a breakout on chin and forehead area. I am premenstrual, so egcg is obviously not tremendously effective in this regard. What next?!

Its worth trying 20mg piperine or 1000mg Omega-3 to enhance the bioavailability of the egcg. If you look at the table on page 4 of http://tinyurl.com/o8fsgsy 

you will see the difference when taking it on a empty stomach and with piperine. It could be your egcg plasma levels are at the lower end due to poor bioavailability.

This document http://tinyurl.com/pwlrmar states the best bioavailability for egcg is with 1000mg omega-3 in figure 3. The following page is also useful giving info on the best time to take the dose.   

Don't give up as its worth experimenting with the above and maybe a higher dose. Its really working for me.

Is the breakout less severe than you normally get?

#20 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks robbyangel, I obviously did a lot of things wrong, such as coffee with my extract in morning, whereas my second dose was never on an empty stomach. Will take it with C and fish oil after fasting, and reassess after my next cycle.

Not giving up yet. I do think its less severe this time around and I normally break-out the entire month.

And I also took Mg at night which lessens its bioavailability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users