isotretinoin accutane

100 replies to this topic

#41 GhostHater

GhostHater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hey I'm about to finish up my second month. Since the start of accutane, my skin has stopped being super oily and it looks more civilized. I'm still getting whiteheads here and there, but they are much much smaller and go away quicker than they used to. I attribute the acne I do get to my diet. I've been trying to keep a lower-sugar, low-dairy, low-glycemic diet, but it can be difficult when there isn't anything healthy to eat around. I just learned that the granola I've been eating for the past couple of weeks has a ton of sugar. Bleh. Really the only things I'm allowed to eat are chicken, turkey, fish, veggies, fruits, and nuts. It sucks to eat like a caveman but unfortunately I have to or I will break out. It's so dumb that I can't even eat bread without breaking out (because bread has such a high glycemic load) -_- My overall redness and irritation is almost gone. I've heard from most people that around after the 2nd month is when the initial breakouts end and throughout the third month is where they see the most drastic improvement. Fingers crossed!

btw I would recommend using sunscreen. I can link you to a couple of good products if you like

#42 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Getting clear, and staying that way

Achievements

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hey I'm about to finish up my second month. Since the start of accutane, my skin has stopped being super oily and it looks more civilized. I'm still getting whiteheads here and there, but they are much much smaller and go away quicker than they used to. I attribute the acne I do get to my diet. I've been trying to keep a lower-sugar, low-dairy, low-glycemic diet, but it can be difficult when there isn't anything healthy to eat around. I just learned that the granola I've been eating for the past couple of weeks has a ton of sugar. Bleh. Really the only things I'm allowed to eat are chicken, turkey, fish, veggies, fruits, and nuts. It sucks to eat like a caveman but unfortunately I have to or I will break out. It's so dumb that I can't even eat bread without breaking out (because bread has such a high glycemic load) -_- My overall redness and irritation is almost gone. I've heard from most people that around after the 2nd month is when the initial breakouts end and throughout the third month is where they see the most drastic improvement. Fingers crossed!

btw I would recommend using sunscreen. I can link you to a couple of good products if you like

If you could, that would be great!

As a side note, a red ring has developed around the area where last night's pimple was. A red, raised ring. It looks like ringworm. No idea where it came from... I'm so cheesed off though, having to deal with this AND facial eczema AND constant cysts is going to be a major pain in the butt.

#43 GhostHater

GhostHater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

As a side note, a red ring has developed around the area where last night's pimple was. A red, raised ring. It looks like ringworm. No idea where it came from... I'm so cheesed off though, having to deal with this AND facial eczema AND constant cysts is going to be a major pain in the butt.

These two are the sunscreen/moisturizer combos that have been successful for me, though personally I prefer chemical sunscreens:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF 35

http://www.walmart.c...2.5-oz/14967684  (chemical suncreen)

Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer with SPF 15

http://www.walmart.c...-fl.-oz./888149 (physical sunscreen)

There's an article somewhere on acne.org explaining the difference between chemical and physical sunscreens. There's only about a 4-5% difference in protection between SPF 15 and 35, so no need to worry about that.

I use Cerave Moisturizing Lotion as my moisturizer; it was recommended by both of the dermatologists I've been to. It's awesome. Goes on smooth, isn't greasy, and I can combine it with my suncreen if I'm feeling dry. It comes in a big bottle too so I use it on my arms to prevent the eczema (dry skin) I get from taking accutane. Here's a link to that as well: 

http://www.walmart.c...-fl-oz/23600992

Edited by GhostHater, 22 October 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#44 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

These two are the sunscreen/moisturizer combos that have been successful for me, though personally I prefer chemical sunscreens:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF 35

http://www.walmart.c...2.5-oz/14967684  (chemical suncreen)

Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer with SPF 15

http://www.walmart.c...-fl.-oz./888149 (physical sunscreen)

There's an article somewhere on acne.org explaining the difference between chemical and physical sunscreens. There's only about a 4-5% difference in protection between SPF 15 and 35, so no need to worry about that.

I use Cerave Moisturizing Lotion as my moisturizer; it was recommended by both of the dermatologists I've been to. It's awesome. Goes on smooth, isn't greasy, and I can combine it with my suncreen if I'm feeling dry. It comes in a big bottle too so I use it on my arms to prevent the eczema (dry skin) I get from taking accutane. Here's a link to that as well: 

http://www.walmart.c...-fl-oz/23600992

Thanks! I think I will need a sunscreen sometime soon, so I'll look into those. As for CeraVe, in my experience it's always given me a reddish / flushed look, so I've been using Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion instead.

Day 41

Well the thing next to my lip might not be ringworm after all, because it seems to have responded pretty well to plain old moisturizing and hydrocortisone lotion. I think it might be discoid eczema.

Still breaking out... got some pain on my right chin, where it looks and feels like a cluster of pimples is about to erupt, all next to each other. Kinda bummed out because I thought I'd seen the last of my chin acne.

Also, a lot of the pimples on the rest of my face seem to have come to heads between yesterday and today... I'm trying to avoid touching / picking / popping as much as I can though.

#45 GhostHater

GhostHater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks! I think I will need a sunscreen sometime soon, so I'll look into those. As for CeraVe, in my experience it's always given me a reddish / flushed look, so I've been using Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion instead.

Day 41

Well the thing next to my lip might not be ringworm after all, because it seems to have responded pretty well to plain old moisturizing and hydrocortisone lotion. I think it might be discoid eczema.

Still breaking out... got some pain on my right chin, where it looks and feels like a cluster of pimples is about to erupt, all next to each other. Kinda bummed out because I thought I'd seen the last of my chin acne.

Also, a lot of the pimples on the rest of my face seem to have come to heads between yesterday and today... I'm trying to avoid touching / picking / popping as much as I can though.

Yea people have different experiences with different products, so I understand. I just had my 3rd dermatologist appointment after finishing my 2nd month. I'm going to start taking 80mg a day rather than 70mg. I haven't had any particular flares in the past few days because I've been really watching my diet, and I'm feeling pretty good. I hope by the end of month three I can start to see some real improvement as far as the marks on my cheeks and chin go. I used to pick at my chin so the red and brown marks are really visible, but I luckily I haven't scarred very much. I'm just waiting for the color to go away on those.

#46 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Day 45

Same old... a couple new-ish ones, but mostly just older stuff taking its time to push out.

My face has been kind of shiny recently, and I honestly can't tell if it's oil or just moisturizer. I'm leaning towards the latter though, because it doesn't really rub off onto my fingers the way oil does.

#47 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Day 46

Had some kind of strange stomach / lower abdominal pain late yesterday evening. It went away within a couple hours though. I think it may have had something to do with dehydration, as I've really been neglecting water consumption lately. In fact, I've really only drunk tea with milk and soda. Unless the pain becomes chronic, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

My acne is pretty lethargic at this point. It's not coming and going at the crazy rate it was during my first 2-3 weeks on the drug. In fact, I think it may be taking even longer than it would if I wasn't on Accutane. Also, old red marks have been looking redder, and any new acne looks really red and as well, I guess because of how fragile Accutane makes the skin.

Also been getting mad dandruff lately, on scalp and in eyebrows, as well as dry peely skin around the area between my nostrils. No eczema or rashes though, so that's good. And the ring near my mouth that I thought was ringworm seems to have dissipated... pretty happy about that.

#48 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

Day 48

Breaking out. Lots of cysts and pustules. Skin is red, easily irritated and peely. Back is still doing ok but far from perfect.

#49 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

Day 52

Whoa, the days are going by really fast now. I guess I've just been busier.

Anyway, still breaking out everywhere. All kinds of acne too, from big deep cysts to tiny little whiteheads. Can't tell if skin is dry or not. This morning I wiped an oil slick off my nose (but the sides of my face were dry). In the evening though, whole face was dry.

I keep hoping the Accutane will finally kick in and I'll stop breaking out, but that also means with each new pimple I get more and more discouraged. I think I need to stop expecting results NOW and focus on expecting results ONLY at the end of my course. That way I won't be disappointed all the time.

Edited by wombat666, 03 November 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#50 Ebun321

Ebun321

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Day 52

Whoa, the days are going by really fast now. I guess I've just been busier.

Anyway, still breaking out everywhere. All kinds of acne too, from big deep cysts to tiny little whiteheads. Can't tell if skin is dry or not. This morning I wiped an oil slick off my nose (but the sides of my face were dry). In the evening though, whole face was dry.

I keep hoping the Accutane will finally kick in and I'll stop breaking out, but that also means with each new pimple I get more and more discouraged. I think I need to stop expecting results NOW and focus on expecting results ONLY at the end of my course. That way I won't be disappointed all the time.

I am on 60 mg day 60 and i am in the same position as you. Expecting results now is wishful thinking, the major positive at this stage of accutane is mainly your skin being less oily  and minor improvements to your acne. From what i have seen month 4-5 is the turning point in most cases.

#51 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

Day 57

Old breakouts have calmed down somewhat and new breakouts have been a little more controlled. I feel much better about my skin at the moment than I did at the beginning of the week.

#52 igotyouu

igotyouu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

Sounds good! Lets hope it continues to improve.

#53 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Day 62

Had my end-of-2nd-month appointment with the derm today. She's upping my dosage to 60mg, and also said that 60 won't necessarily be my maximum. Had my blood taken right after. Will know the results tomorrow afternoon. I'm not too worried about it: although I had drinks over the weekend for my gf's birthday, and have had a beer on occasion throughout the past month, I think the effect it's had on my liver would be almost negligible.

So far my face is still breaking out, but my back is feeling pretty smooth. I'm really dry overall... I don't feel as "sleek" as I used to. My hair feels rougher and I get occasional bouts of "dandruff" (not really dandruff, just dry scalp). Lips get pretty dry too, and sometimes peel at the corners. I've been avoiding rashes and eczema though, which I'm happy about. Also many evenings my ears flush (feel warm and sometimes turn red), which is undoubtedly an accutane side effect.

Hopefully my bloodwork will come back fine and I'll be able to continue on an increased dosage.

Edited by wombat666, 14 November 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#54 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

Day 63

My bloodwork was fine! Should hopefully be getting my pills today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

#55 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Day 67

So this is my fourth day on 60mg. I'm taking Claravis now instead of Zenatane... two 30mg pills a day. I take them both at once instead of spaced out.

Acne-wise, I've had a couple new prominent ones in the past couple days, so I think it could be the initial breakout from upping the dosage. In the last week or so on 40mg I didn't really get any major breakouts though. Also, my derm told me that 60mg might not even be my maximum dosage and that we could push it to 80.

Side effects-wise, I had a splitting headache Wednesday evening, which continued into Thursday. Then, from Friday through Sunday I had major stomach issues... it hurt after every meal and anything I ate would usually come back out in under an hour (sorry if TMI). Today the headaches and stomach pains seem to have calmed down. I honestly am not sure whether it was accutane - related or just a case of stomach flu. I told myself if it persisted for more than a week I'd stop the medicine and consult my physician as well as my dermatologist, but looks like I won't have to (fingers crossed).

Also, dryness has increased somewhat... the skin around my lips is pretty peely, and another area that has gotten super-dry is (sorry again if TMI) the tip of my private parts. Other than that, nothing new to report... hanging in there!

#56 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:18 AM

Day 69

The headaches and stomach aches gave gone away. Got sore throat / cough but there's absolutely NO way that's accutane related.

I am pissed off though, because I'm still breaking out pretty bad. It's not consistent at all... just painful red cysts that come up in random areas of my face, as well as on / behind my ears. The reason is bothers me is a) red marks do NOT fade on accutane from what I've read and experienced thus far, and any pimple I get is going to leave hyperpigmentation until well after the course is over, and b) the pimples take SO long to heal. Some people say acne heals faster on accutane.. for me this is not the case. In fact my acne heals much, MUCH slower now.

I was feeling pretty good about my skin at the end of the 2nd month, but these new breakouts made me feel down in the dumps again.

#57 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Day 71

Breakin' out still... maybe not as rapido but still breaking out. Trying not to think about it at the moment. In about two or three weeks I'll be starting a new internship though, so I wish the breakouts would subside a little by then so I'd look a TINY bit more presentable.

#58 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Day 74

I think, 10 or so days into 60mg, my breakout from the increased dosage might be coming to an end. Old pimples are calming down and few, if any, new ones are coming up (if there are new ones, they are quite small so I can't really tell). Downside is, I'm really dry - pretty much everywhere. My lips are super-dry, chapped and even peely (especially today because it's below freezing outside), I have flaky patches under my mouth and in my eyebrows, and eczema along my right hairline. Also, "dandruff" (not really dandruff though, just dry scalp) persists.

#59 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Day 75

Back is getting noticeably smoother again after a slight breakout following the dose increase. New breakouts are still minimal to nonexistant.

I did forget to mention that I got a huge cyst on my chest a while back, and recently popped it. Now there's a big, red, slightly raised area which doesn't hurt anymore. Other than that, except for one other active cyst and a couple old ones, my chest isn't a real problem area.

Felt really upbeat today.. better than I've felt in a while. Not only because of my skin, but because it was my birthday yesterday, AND because I got an offer for the paid internship I was hoping for with a MUCH higher salary than I anticipated. Good times!

#60 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Day 81

Breaking out still... got some cyst-type ones on my face, and one on my back, an area that has been relatively clean for a while. Super-dry overall... mad flakes in hair, and been getting eczema / rash-type stuff on the back of my hands. Also I seem to have peely skin on my face every morning that I have to pick / scrub off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users