#1 sorbet

sorbet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:photography, reading, running, art, music, cooking

Achievements

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

hey everyone! i've recently stopped the BCP because it really wasn't for me. i'm now considering a copper iud because it contains no hormones. 

i've read lots of stories from women on the internet who claim it did make their acne worse, but from what i see the large majority of these women stop a hormonal form of birth control not long before getting one, and this makes me wonder whether the change in hormones may have been the cause. i know that copper depletes zinc too, and that this can have an effect.

i'd like opinions from people who have one, and any side effects they experienced (do they hurt?!), but mainly if it worsened your acne at all. 

at the moment for me, acne < babies. but, acne has been a massive thing in my life and a major contributor to my depression/anxiety and i'd rather not use anything that can worsen it.

i searched through the archive and there is an older board about the copper iud, but i'd love some more recent opinions!

Edited by sorbet, 17 September 2013 - 06:32 AM.

Stopping the birth control pill & going natural log:

http://www.acne.org/...ntrol-pill-log/

#2 Calumma

Calumma

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:33, Mom of 2 boys

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

I had acne that was under control with the regimen. After 2 children I was not allowed BC Pills because of a blood coagulation disorder that was discovered. After 3 more years without Hormonal BC,I thought that A copper IUD would be a good idea. At this point, my acne was totally under control, no zits if I used the BP once a day. So I got the copper IUD an the drama started: endless bladder infections, constant spotting, my fingernails started to peel off in layers, terrible bleedings and cramps any my face broke out really really bad. So it was definately not coming off BCP, but inserting the copper IUD that caused it. I had it for 5 months and on that time had 6 UTIs and just felt terrible. Got it out: no more spotting, no more bladder infections, fingernails grew back, face ist still struggling, but better ( but I am alo on 7 weeks spiro)

Edited by Calumma, 17 September 2013 - 07:37 AM.

Successfully on "the regimen" from age 12 to 33 for cystic acne
 Now:
 100mg spironolactone since 08/13
Paula's Choice BHA 2%,
Green Cream 6 Retinol

Acne free and already almost free of hyperpigmentation, discolorations and wrinkles

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

The copper IUD releases less copper than a normal diet. So, unless you already have a pretty bad zinc problem, a thyroid issue or progesterone deficiency (both of which will mess up your copper/zinc balance), the copper IUD isn't going to affect that very much.

The biggest thing is that you NEED to have the copper IUD inserted by someone who does the insertions constantly. Many doctors offer copper IUDs but don't insert very many. It takes a lot of skill to insert it correctly since every woman's body is different. 

The best proof I have of this is that me and my cousin had copper IUDs inserted about the same time. We went to one of those giant medical group buildings that has multiple doctors in it. She went to an ob-gyn that her family was friends with, and that was about $300 cheaper. I went to an ob-gyn that SPECIALIZED in IUDs, and had mine inserted by a nurse who does about 10 IUD insertions a day. That is literally all she does and she has inserted thousands. 

Well, guess what? My cousin's uterus was perforated and she had the IUD removed. I still have the IUD years later. Even though I have a tilted cervix and some other issue that made insertion very difficult. 

The side effects I dealt with for about 5 months were bad cramping and very heavy periods. Normally my periods are light and I have never have cramps. But after 5 months my periods went back to normal and I don't cramp anymore. The cramping was BAD the first 2 months, I seriously considered taking it out. But I had it checked out by the doctor, everything was fine as far as the IUD, so I pushed through and I'm glad I did. 

It has also been shown that the copper IUD increases blood flow and cramping significantly in the initial months: in the first 3-6 months, blood flow increases on average between 25 and 50 percent.  For many women this drops off after several months, and they enjoy many peaceful years of safe sex. 

Edited by Green Gables, 17 September 2013 - 10:00 AM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#4 sorbet

sorbet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:photography, reading, running, art, music, cooking

Achievements

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

The copper IUD releases less copper than a normal diet. So, unless you already have a pretty bad zinc problem, a thyroid issue or progesterone deficiency (both of which will mess up your copper/zinc balance), the copper IUD isn't going to affect that very much.

The biggest thing is that you NEED to have the copper IUD inserted by someone who does the insertions constantly. Many doctors offer copper IUDs but don't insert very many. It takes a lot of skill to insert it correctly since every woman's body is different. 

The best proof I have of this is that me and my cousin had copper IUDs inserted about the same time. We went to one of those giant medical group buildings that has multiple doctors in it. She went to an ob-gyn that her family was friends with, and that was about $300 cheaper. I went to an ob-gyn that SPECIALIZED in IUDs, and had mine inserted by a nurse who does about 10 IUD insertions a day. That is literally all she does and she has inserted thousands. 

Well, guess what? My cousin's uterus was perforated and she had the IUD removed. I still have the IUD years later. Even though I have a tilted cervix and some other issue that made insertion very difficult. 

The side effects I dealt with for about 5 months were bad cramping and very heavy periods. Normally my periods are light and I have never have cramps. But after 5 months my periods went back to normal and I don't cramp anymore. The cramping was BAD the first 2 months, I seriously considered taking it out. But I had it checked out by the doctor, everything was fine as far as the IUD, so I pushed through and I'm glad I did. 

It has also been shown that the copper IUD increases blood flow and cramping significantly in the initial months: in the first 3-6 months, blood flow increases on average between 25 and 50 percent.  For many women this drops off after several months, and they enjoy many peaceful years of safe sex. 

Thank you for the info! I will definitely look into getting someone experienced to put it in... your cousin's experience sounds awful :(

I take zinc already so I doubt I have a zinc problem, and I don't think I have progesterone deficiency or a thyroid problem (though it does run in my family). I've decided to let my body settle down for a few months (I've just come off the pill) before I get one, so I know if any of the side effects I'm experiencing are coming from the IUD and not from stopping the pill. 

So you haven't had any increase in acne? I think I could deal with heavier periods/cramps for the first few months because mine are usually pretty average/light anyway.

Do you know of an accurate effectiveness rate of the copper IUD? I've found they range quite a lot online, but I have seen 99.6% quoted a few times. 

I had acne that was under control with the regimen. After 2 children I was not allowed BC Pills because of a blood coagulation disorder that was discovered. After 3 more years without Hormonal BC,I thought that A copper IUD would be a good idea. At this point, my acne was totally under control, no zits if I used the BP once a day. So I got the copper IUD an the drama started: endless bladder infections, constant spotting, my fingernails started to peel off in layers, terrible bleedings and cramps any my face broke out really really bad. So it was definately not coming off BCP, but inserting the copper IUD that caused it. I had it for 5 months and on that time had 6 UTIs and just felt terrible. Got it out: no more spotting, no more bladder infections, fingernails grew back, face ist still struggling, but better ( but I am alo on 7 weeks spiro)

I'm sorry to hear that Calumma :( Thank you for sharing your experience, I hope your acne gets better.

Stopping the birth control pill & going natural log:

http://www.acne.org/...ntrol-pill-log/

#5 theonewhoknocks

theonewhoknocks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

I had a copper IUD inserted over two years ago and it has wrecked my face.  I always would get a cyst or two around PMS time, but my acne was pretty manageable.  As the years go on my face has gotten worse.  It may be due to stress  (I've had terrible jobs and been unemployed since then) or diagnosed poly cystic ovarian syndrome  , but my whole face is now covered.    I just bought some products that hopefully will work.  If they do, it will be worth it because hormonal bc is not for me.  

#6 mae

mae

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

The copper IUD wrecked my face too.  I had it removed after seven months when I finally made the connection between the IUD and the acne that gradually got worse and worse.  Finally now, four months after getting the IUD removed, my skin is pretty much back to normal.  

There are plenty of people that will tell you the copper can't affect your skin (probably including your doctor), but there are also lots of women who report getting bad acne as a result. It might be a rare side effect, but it's an awful one.  I think it's irresponsible that acne isn't acknowledged as a possible side effect.  

I've heard both good and bad reports about the copper IUD, but after my experience I would never recommend any woman get it.  I feel like I was exposed to a cumulative poison. It was a slow gradual buildup after I got the copper IUD inserted and a slow gradual recovery after I had it removed.

#7 garciamonse

garciamonse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your story! 

I got my IUD inserted Jan 2014 and removed it T-O-D--A-Y (Aug 6 2014)... It took me 8 months to learn that my body was rejecting the IUD! =(

I was satisfied with the IUD for the 1st  two months &  everything went downhill after that... Then, I started to develop really painful & nasty acne along my chin &  pelvic area. I was/am (still working on it). I am/was really embarrassed to go outside without any make-up & I tried a lot of acne home remedies & even bought really expensive lotions (OROGold)… Nothing seemed to work on my face.

It is important to mention that I am pretty healthy (workout & eat healthy), so I knew it was not my diet or lack of exercise. My stress levels were okay...  

After reading this blog, I discovered that the IUD maybe the main cause of my acne. 

Today my OBGYN asked me why I wanted to get my IUD removed?

M: Because of my Acne 

OBGYN: IUD is not causing it. It has ZERO hormones... Plus, what method are you going to use, (since have the best contraceptive in the market)?

M: I really do not want it. 

I respect the OBGYB's medical opinion, but I know my body better than anyone... And even though it took me a few months (6—to be exact) to figure it out! I did it!  I do not think she was very happy with me.  I will keep ya’ll updated on my acne within a month (9/6)!  Thank you.

And good luck to everyone! 

MY Acne History:

A lot of Acne/Pimples during college & teen year

5 months before the IUD insertion I had ZERO acne/scars... I never had to worry about wearing make-up. I hope to go back to that some day! :) 

#8 ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

licensed esthetician 2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I cleared my worst breakout in a 20 yr acne battle with Rx Chinese herbs.

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Wow déjà vu http://www.acne.org/...d/#entry3408382

I'm also in the IUD wrecked my face club
  • Clear Skin and Anxiety Maintenance Routine:
  • Supplements: Shi wei Bei Du Tang (powder by Sun Ten) and the Zhen Zhu An Chuang Pan (tablets by Guang Ci Tang)  both for acne+ other Chinese mood stabilizers. 
  •  20,000IU+ of Vitamin D/day (+ antioxidants and multi with minerals)
  • Diet: Ultra Meal and Orac Energy Greens shakes- no meat, coffee,  dairy, gluten or alcohol
  • Topical: crysanthemum and MSM baths and cleansing with Proactiv Deep and Kavi Coral on Konjac sponge to exfoliate, and Jason Aloe and Tea Tree and Hyaluronic Acid to heal and hydrate. 
  • Lifestyle: 8 hrs sleep, light exercise only, >1hr sun exposure daily, no fluoride toothpastes, no sulfate shampoos, clean shower/pillowcase.

#9 rlsid21

rlsid21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

I've had the paraguard copper IUD for about 3 years now and it's been the birth control of choice at the top of my list for me. I have tried many forms of birth control from depo-provera, lunelle injection, the patch, pills, foams, films, and just about gave up with all the awful side effects hormones had on my body. I always, always gained weight on hormones and decided to not do hormones again. Upon insertion, the IUD was super painful so I highly recommend pre-medicating before going into the office to get it put in. I haven't had any children so my cervix had never been stretched making it painful for me. I cramped for a good amount of time after it was put in for a couple months. I took plenty of ibuprofen, tylenol and eventually Vidcodin for pre-cramping before my period would arrive. Sometimes, Vicodin didn't help the pain it was basically like contractions that would last a few minutes than go away periodically but once I started bleeding the cramps were gone. It does make cramping worse with the copper but I would rather go through this than weight gain any old time.

As for the acne.......I have had acne all my life and more severe when I hit my 20's and 30's. I had cystic acne on my cheeks, jawline, back, chin, and forehead, plus blackheads all over my jawline and forehead. The IUD did not make my acne worse at all.

It's been convenient for me to have and over 99% effective.....it's the method after a vasectomy that's rated most effective. I simply check after each period to make sure I can feel the strings to know it's still in place. Other than the cramping, the IUD is the BC of choice for my lifestyle and its good for up to 10 years. 

Skin Regimen

AM

Clean and Clear Advantage Control Facial Wash 

Obagi-C Clarifying Serum

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer

Acanya (Benzoyl Peroxide/Clindamycin)

Skin Medica Daily Defense Sunscreen SPF 30+

PM

Clean and Clear Advantage Control Facial Wash 

Clean and Clear Toner 

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer

Tazorac 0.1% Topical Gel 

Spironolactone 150mg. once daily for hormonal breakouts

Doxycycline 100mg. every other day  

Facials every 3-4 months or as needed for maintenance 

Make-Up of choice:

Sheer Cover Loose Powder or Sephora Tarte Loose Powder

Sephora Tarte Tinted Moisturizer BB Cream with Amazonian Clay 

(Updated 2014) 

#10 aktpow

aktpow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

The only side effect my copper IUD has given me is heavier periods and shorter cycles. It's the best birth control I've ever been on. I've had it for about 8 months.

I have started breaking out recently, like within the past month or month and a half, but I'm confident it's not related to the IUD after so many months of no issues - especially considering there aren't any hormones. I think my breakouts are stress, hormone, and diet related.

#11 Chinchibello

Chinchibello

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

I've had 3 copper iud's over the past 10 years as the only hormonal contraception that doesn't make my acne worse is dianette, but I only do 6 month spells of dianette these days as the side effects get horrible for me after 6 months. Every time I've had a copper iud inserted my acne has flared up, and its not been from coming off the pill, its always improved again after the iud is removed xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users