3 replies to this topic

#1 kacysaur

kacysaur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi!  Ok so I just need to talk a little bit.  I've been going to the dermatologist for 5 years (I am currently a freshman in college).  I've tried Proactiv 3 times.  I've been on Murad, Clearasil, Skin ID, you name it.  I've tried Differin, Epiduo, and another medication of that type.  I've used countless drug store face washes and also prescribed face washes.  I've been on 4 types of antibiotics 5 different times.  Currently, I'm on Minocycline and I have been for about a year.  They always work when I'm on them, then stop working a week after I go off of them.  I've told my derm this.  I have tried SO many things and at this point, I feel like giving up.  Nothing works.  I even expressed my pain acne has caused me (both physically and mentally) and asked my derm about Accutane, and she said it can only be used as "last resort" option.  In my mind, I'm at my last resort.  I was going to go on Accutane my sophomore year, but my mom declined. My skin continues to scar from acne and I can't remember the last time my skin was fully clear.  Being a college student, most everyone has clear skin.  I feel so self conscious all the time.  I thought I would either grow out of it by now or at least find something that works, but neither of those have happened.  I am tired of hearing people say, "it's not /that/ bad" or telling me to try Proactiv or changing my pillow case.  I had dreams of becoming a Disney face character, but my skin is hindering me from accomplishing this.  I am going to be an elementary school teacher and the last thing I need is my kids to point it out or something.  I really just don't know what to do and I know people say it takes time, but I'm all out of hope.  At this point, I am ready to give up.  Sorry for ranting.

Edited by kacysaur, 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#2 CWR24

CWR24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I would either tell your dermatologist something like what you wrote here and see if they will give you Accutane or try another one. I can relate to trying everything and nothing working. I would also look into hormonal treatments especially if you are a female. I hear a lot of sucess stories on here from them.

#3 Robertitoo

Robertitoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Please start realizing that your acne has to do with your diet more than anything.

#4 kacysaur

kacysaur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

I would either tell your dermatologist something like what you wrote here and see if they will give you Accutane or try another one. I can relate to trying everything and nothing working. I would also look into hormonal treatments especially if you are a female. I hear a lot of sucess stories on here from them.

Yeah, I might switch dermatologists to seek a second opinion because I feel like I am just throwing my money down the drain.  It's frustrating because every new treatment I get is just a guess on whether it will work or not.  I'm tired of it.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to ask about those too!

Please start realizing that your acne has to do with your diet more than anything.

I'd say I eat moderately healthy and I have throughout my entire life.  I eat small meals or snacks multiple times a day (fruit, greek yogurt, granola bars, etc) and I mostly only drink water (except the occasional Diet Coke here and there).  I've been involved with competitive sports my entire life, so I've kind of been forced to eat healthier.  Not saying I won't ever eat a slice of pizza or a burger every once in a while, but I don't eat terribly.  I don't know if that's what you meant by diet though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users