#21 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

11/11

I have slight (very slight) textural problems, only on one side of my face as of yesterday. Not sure if things are surfacing still and need to let it run the course.

Thinking about getting a tanning membership again.

11/16

So my monthly is coming soon. I have all the right symptoms: mild breakout, bloating, bad digestion, terrible mood, etc. That might explain my skin except that I've indulged the past couple days. 

The first day I had a little something sweet, it's made it that much harder to say no the next day.

We're back to square one. 

Another note: I'm doing the "baking soda/acv" rinse for my hair instead of shampoo. Initially it seemed to not work. I upped my baking soda and now it DRIED my hair to bits. 

I'm hoping to get my diet back to 100% clean. Then my skin will come back, and if I can figure out a hair routine that requires minimal washing, I can reduce my showers to every other day instead of every day. I LOVE showering, but I'm always open to trying new things, and lately I've been curious about how my skin would feel when its water exposure is cut in half, considering the water I wash with has chlorine, metals and minerals that irritate the skin.

If I had the money, I'd buy a $1500 whole-house water purification system that purifies and remineralizes (with the right minerals) your tap water. 

As it stands, my baking soda/acv rinse is doing ok, my cleanser is all-natural (has 6 or 7 ingredients), and my body wash is an all-natural soap bar. The skin is the largest organ in the body and can readily absorb what you put on it. I'm trying to remove the chemicals I put on it. 

11/22

Sugar Update

I don't want to blame my monthly for taking things off track, but it's most likely the biggest factor. 

Once I gave in to a few days of sugar, the cravings HIT, and they hit HARD. And they haven't gone away. 

Overall Diet Update

I've been eating very plain foods. For more on this, read Stephan Guyenet's blog. He's a researcher and I found his ideas interesting. So far they aren't helping me in the ways I wanted or the ways his research said they would. I'm wondering if the hormonal response to this eating method requires an adjustment period. I'm willing to ride that out.

Hair Update

My hair absolutely needs conditioner. No question. I have no idea how other girls are getting away without conditioner. My routine has become:

baking soda rinse (LESS baking soda than before!)

ACV rinse (for shine)

condition ends (which are damaged and need the pick-me-up)

I hate baking soda. I either don't use enough and it leaves my hair oily, or I use too much and it dries my hair to straw. 

I'm beginning to think baking soda is too abrasive and inappropriate for my fine hair.

11/23

Hair

I saw the girl with the most beautiful hair today. I could slap her it was so shiny. 

Not giving up on natural hair care. 

Skin

Undecided. It looks "ok." 

Diet

Looking better. Still needs more time.

Edited by Vanbelle, 23 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#22 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

11/25

Skin is looking better much better. 

12/1

Thanksgiving wasn't ideal, and my skin did not appreciate it. But it is nothing compared to when I first started this log. 

1/5/14

Over a month since last update, but the holidays put me nearly back to square one. I managed to refrain myself in many ways, so I applaud myself for no immense overeating.

My skin has NOT liked it AT all. A friend said that back in November my skin was "glowing." I want to get back to that. 

Edited by Vanbelle, 05 January 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#23 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

This no sugar-group is sad. I should change this to the lone ranger.

Or, MAYBE I should turn this thread into "eat only sugar group," because lately I feel like that's all I've been doing. The holidays royally screwed me, seeing family and relaxing. You kinda forget all your goals, especially when you make so much progress. You make all this progress and then start saying, what's a bit of sugar in my coffee to hurt? That's the devil I think. The devil is when you start believing a little bit is okay.

Well, a little bit IS okay, if we define a little bit as having something once a week. A little bit is not sugar in coffee, a treat every day, etc. That's a lot of sugar. 

Sugar is toxic and it ruins all my progress and goals. I need to stop consuming it. I want to get back to my "glowing" skin!

Edited by Vanbelle, 10 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#24 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Haven't updated this since January, but the pendulum has swung again--I'm back to minimal sugar. Still consuming dairy (cream, butter and cheese), no bread products as usual, no soy, minimizing vegetable oil consumption, and that's about it. Also eating lower carb and cycling carbs. 

My skin feels a shit-ton better, however, there's still some issues with my jaw/neck area, which I'm still waiting out. Overall, skin looks and feels 10x better and that is great.

It's very tiring you know, to continually think about how your skin looks, how your body looks, how you hair looks, every damn day. It's mostly tiring actually because I generally don't like what I see. If I like what I see, it'd probably be highly stimulating. Knowing you look good and going about your day with that extra confidence is great. When you don't feel you look good, that's when it becomes a drain. 

The solution really becomes not thinking about it. You want to improve, but the mind can only sustain it for so long. Maybe the ritual of healthy eating and exercising remains, but that initial fire--running after the dangling carrot--greatly dissipates. One cannot live in a constant state of self-scrutiny in this superficial way. 

Other juvenile things tend to run in the same vein, like worrying what people think of you and how you are perceived. Our physical appearance and social perception are greatly tied together (at least we think they are), and it's fucking draining.

Some say they "don't like people." Sure, I LIKE people, but I don't like having to deal with them on a personal level, wondering what they're thinking of me and if I'm saying the right things and looking a certain way.

Growing older, I'm at a point in my life where I have largely stopped fretting over what others think. It has decreased to a great degree. A LARGE degree. A manifestation of that has been lowered aggressiveness in making new friends. The effect is then, being lonelier. Maybe not completely alone, but less alone than you would be if you gave a damn to network and socialize.

I don't like putting on a show and convincing people to like me. 

So if I have some acne, as long its not overwhelmingly bad, then I don't *really* care. 

It'd be nice to have it all gone, but...not worth my time. If it happens, it happens. 

Edited by Vanbelle, 10 June 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#25 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

I'm happy to report that I still have held a strong correlation with sugar consumption and breakouts. The less table sugar I eat (and carbohydrate load in general), the better my skin looks. 

I do not use any acne products. Just cleansing and moisturizing. It's worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users