dermatologist worried acne treatments

3 replies to this topic

#1 skinwillbeclear

skinwillbeclear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new to this website but pretty much I'm a 14 year old girl who struggles with acne. My main problem area is my forehead and I use to only get pimples on my forehead but this summer I started to get pimples on my cheeks and mouth area. Typically I have 10-15 pimples (mainly whiteheads). I have tried numerous drugstore products like neutrogena, clean and clear, etc. When those didnt work I tried Murad Acne Complex which did help and almost completely cleared my acne but then all of the sudden it stopped working. Now I have been trying to control my acne but I can't anymore. One thing ive noticed is when I eat no dairy/gluten/sugar my skin is clearer but not 100% clear..but its so frustrating and hard to not eat any of those things so I cant control my acne that way. So I'm seeing the dermatologist tomorrow and I'm nervous! What normally happens for a first time visit with a dermatologist? What would they most likely out me on? I honestly do not want to try tons of creams and gels I want something powerful because I've been dealing with this acne for 2+ years! Thanks guys!

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Many women have cleared completely with spironolactone (I am one of them), without having to change their diet.

It is a fairly mild anti-androgen drug that mutes the effects of testosterone (which creates the acne). 

#3 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Medicine, Physics-Chemistry-Maths, gardening

Achievements

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

When i was on spiro i could eat everything i wanted. Dairy, sweets, grains everything with no problem at all. However i think that this won't be his/her first suggestion. I believe he will try first topicals and only if they don't help he will consider oral treatments.

Edited by maria199, 13 September 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#4 matt f

matt f

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

The Derm will probably get you to try a topical such as Differin or Duac + maybe an antiobiotic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users