dermatologist worried acne treatments

3 replies to this topic

#1 skinwillbeclear

skinwillbeclear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new to this website but pretty much I'm a 14 year old girl who struggles with acne. My main problem area is my forehead and I use to only get pimples on my forehead but this summer I started to get pimples on my cheeks and mouth area. Typically I have 10-15 pimples (mainly whiteheads). I have tried numerous drugstore products like neutrogena, clean and clear, etc. When those didnt work I tried Murad Acne Complex which did help and almost completely cleared my acne but then all of the sudden it stopped working. Now I have been trying to control my acne but I can't anymore. One thing ive noticed is when I eat no dairy/gluten/sugar my skin is clearer but not 100% clear..but its so frustrating and hard to not eat any of those things so I cant control my acne that way. So I'm seeing the dermatologist tomorrow and I'm nervous! What normally happens for a first time visit with a dermatologist? What would they most likely out me on? I honestly do not want to try tons of creams and gels I want something powerful because I've been dealing with this acne for 2+ years! Thanks guys!

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Many women have cleared completely with spironolactone (I am one of them), without having to change their diet.

It is a fairly mild anti-androgen drug that mutes the effects of testosterone (which creates the acne). 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#3 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Medicine, Physics-Chemistry-Maths, gardening

Achievements

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

When i was on spiro i could eat everything i wanted. Dairy, sweets, grains everything with no problem at all. However i think that this won't be his/her first suggestion. I believe he will try first topicals and only if they don't help he will consider oral treatments.

Edited by maria199, 13 September 2013 - 08:30 AM.

What clears my acne:

Spironolactone 100 mg + limiting dairy

indoxyl (duac) gel + aha + baby brush for comedones.

3hnd.jpg

#4 matt f

matt f

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

The Derm will probably get you to try a topical such as Differin or Duac + maybe an antiobiotic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users