8 replies to this topic

#1 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hey everyone,

I came across some interesting articles about how the hormones in milk spike IGF-1, androgens, insulin and HGH; which we all know are related to acne. I was looking some of this up because it SEEMS like (too early to tell for sure) my skin is changing from possibly two major changes on my part 1) taking vitamin D after being diagnosed deficient and 2) accidently cutting milk out of diet for the past couple weeks (college diet).

Again though, I can't tell yet which the changes are based off of more, but I should be able to figure it out soon. I plan to wait a few more weeks, then re-introduce milk while still taking vitamin D to see what happens to my skin.

But for those of us with oily/acne prone skin and that like to drink lots of milk (I used to drink 18-20 oz a day) I would give this some thought. It might be worth trying to cut out milk for a few weeks to see what happens; just be sure to get your calcium from soy milk or a supplement.

Here's some further reading on how milk contributes to oily skin:

http://www.acneeinst...ilk-cause-acne/

http://health.howstu...od-for-acne.htm

http://acne.about.co...milkandacne.htm

http://www.doctoroz....use-acne?page=2

This is sobering news for somebody like me that really likes milk LOL. On the plus side yogurt, cheeses, and ice cream have a much reduced effect due to how they're processed, so they don't have as much of an impact as fresh milk does.

(And Mods, do NOT move this to the Diet and Holistic Health forum. This info is specific to how milk contributes to oily skin, and more people whom this info would be of interest to would see it here. Thanks.)

Edited by CBIOT13, 09 September 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#2 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

his is sobering news for somebody like me that really likes milk LOL. On the plus side yogurt, cheeses, and ice cream have a much reduced effect due to how they're processed, so they don't have as much of an impact as fresh milk does.

I didn't know that yogurt, cheese, and ice cream had a reduced effect. That's good news to me because I love those things but don't care for milk haha. I stopped drinking milk years ago and I'm fairly certain it reduced my acne, but it didn't have an effect on my oil production. If it turns out that milk was the culprit for you, you might want to try almond milk. It's more expensive but in my opinion in tastes better than regular milk.

#3 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:health, well being, natural healing, sports, diving, reading, internet

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

On the plus side yogurt, cheeses, and ice cream have a much reduced effect due to how they're processed, so they don't have as much of an impact as fresh milk does.

I'm the person who wrote the article on milk and acne on AcneEinstein.com. Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not aware of any reason why cheese and ice cream would be less acnegenic than milk. In fact, I think they can be more acnegenic because they are concentrated forms of dairy (at least cheese). 

Yogurt may, and I emphasize the word may, have less of an impact because during the fermentation process bacteria consume a lot of the IGF-1 hormones in the milk. That said, yogurt still has whey and other substances that will spike insulin. Thread carefully. 

#4 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Well, there are three other links besides your website there and in one of them or another article I read it did say that they had lower concentrations of hormones due to the fact that they are not fresh milk. Something about the way they are made eliminated most of a certain hormone, which one I can't quite remember as it really wasn't pertinent to what I was thinking about. Most people don't have to worry about consuming large amounts of cheese and ice cream, but it's easier to do that with milk.

If it isn't in one of the articles above I'll post the link to it when I get the chance.

Edited by CBIOT13, 11 September 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#5 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Okay, Sepsi. I did some quick research. Here's what I found:

1) Most studies did not differentiate between figuring out if only milk or all dairy in general is what causes acne for some people. There are numerous phrases that say to not focus on cheese, yogurt, and ice cream so much as milk if you plan to do an elimination diet; but this is by no means a scientific statement saying they are not as bad.

2) You say that the fermentation process in yogurt reduces the IGF-1 content right? Aren't almost all cheeses fermented to some degree? By this logic alone, cheese would be along the same lines as yogurt in terms of a reduced IGF-1 content compared to milk; in addition to the fact that aging methods and added preservatives would affect hormone content negatively as well.

3) Ice cream is a toss up though. It is real milk for the most part, but I have to think that the very low temperatures we store it in would inhibit the hormones in it to a certain degree. The issue with ice cream in my opinion is more the sugar content than the hormones passed to it from the cows.

SO I would still recommend having cheese, ice cream and yogurt in reasonable quantities while attempting to minimize milk consumption as much as possible to see if milk has an impact on your skin.

Edited by CBIOT13, 11 September 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#6 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

There was a study done between skim milk and whole milk in women that found skim milk spikes IGF-1 more. Probably because of the ratio of fat/carbs. 

If nothing else, I would guess that full-fat yogurt and cheese may have a similar dampening effect. 

Edited by Green Gables, 13 September 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#7 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

There was a study done between skim milk and whole milk in women that found skim milk spikes IGF-1 more. Probably because of the ratio of fat/carbs. 

If nothing else, I would guess that full-fat yogurt and cheese may have a similar dampening effect. 

Yea I saw that study too. I was surprised, because I would have thought it to be the other way around (whole milk more hormonally active).

#8 Raisinghell

Raisinghell

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hey everyone,

I came across some interesting articles about how the hormones in milk spike IGF-1, androgens, insulin and HGH; which we all know are related to acne. I was looking some of this up because it SEEMS like (too early to tell for sure) my skin is changing from possibly two major changes on my part 1) taking vitamin D after being diagnosed deficient and 2) accidently cutting milk out of diet for the past couple weeks (college diet).

Again though, I can't tell yet which the changes are based off of more, but I should be able to figure it out soon. I plan to wait a few more weeks, then re-introduce milk while still taking vitamin D to see what happens to my skin.

But for those of us with oily/acne prone skin and that like to drink lots of milk (I used to drink 18-20 oz a day) I would give this some thought. It might be worth trying to cut out milk for a few weeks to see what happens; just be sure to get your calcium from soy milk or a supplement.

Here's some further reading on how milk contributes to oily skin:

http://www.acneeinst...ilk-cause-acne/

http://health.howstu...od-for-acne.htm

http://acne.about.co...milkandacne.htm

http://www.doctoroz....use-acne?page=2

This is sobering news for somebody like me that really likes milk LOL. On the plus side yogurt, cheeses, and ice cream have a much reduced effect due to how they're processed, so they don't have as much of an impact as fresh milk does.

(And Mods, do NOT move this to the Diet and Holistic Health forum. This info is specific to how milk contributes to oily skin, and more people whom this info would be of interest to would see it here. Thanks.)

I don't even drink milk lol, and I've always had some form of acne and super duper oily skin. I think oily skin is something you're born with but a crap diet would probably just make it worse.

#9 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've been told (in medical school, so some doctors aren't completely clueless about the acne/diet connection) that specifically low-fat dairy would make acne worse and low GI carbohydrates would help. I think it has something to do with the insulin and IGF-1 effects, which are probably pronounced in low-fat milk because it's just the concentrated milk protein and water, really. Cheese has similarly a lot of protein, but then perhaps the fat offsets it a bit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users