123 replies to this topic

#101 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I made my tincture. I let mine steep with the dried thyme for about three days, when I got annoyed with the leaves and drained them. I really like it so far! It seems to be drying up my stubborn spots (the headless, scabby kind) and other more regular spots. It also seems to be having a bit of an effect on my redness but it's probably too soon to tell. I'll need to make more soon though. I'm thinking I'll try with the fresh thyme leaves this time. 

So far.. two thumbs up for thyme! I love that it is natural and feels less damaging to my face than BP. And I feel like a hippie/witch mixing up my special beauty aids. Awesome!! :D

Edited by syllacrostics, 26 September 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#102 justriita

justriita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Finally made my new toner!:) I added 3/4 cup witch hazel and 1/4 cup dried thyme. There are a lot of thyme pieces in it, hopefull it wont bother me, if anything i can always take the pieces off my face. Did everyone else have this many thyme pieces in it? 

Well wish me luck:) Ill write back how this goes. I love this thread btw, i'm glad more people are trying something that I was always interested about.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo on 9-29-13 at 9.37 PM #2.jpg

#103 hitea

hitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Finally made my new toner!smile.png I added 3/4 cup witch hazel and 1/4 cup dried thyme. There are a lot of thyme pieces in it, hopefull it wont bother me, if anything i can always take the pieces off my face. Did everyone else have this many thyme pieces in it? 

Well wish me luck:) Ill write back how this goes. I love this thread btw, i'm glad more people are trying something that I was always interested about.

Haha, yep! it's supposed to be that thyme-dense. After it dries you just kind of brush them off your face. I did both the dried thyme and the fresh thyme and definitely like the fresh better because it settles to the bottom more than the dried. It also doesn't prick your face when you brush it on with the cotton pad.

:D Good luck!!

#104 underneath32

underneath32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is - Alan Watts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

So how is everyones progress going? 

#105 thereisalwayshope

thereisalwayshope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with people I love. And i love clear skin :P

Achievements

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hello all! After days and days of not being on acne.org I am finally back. I got extremely busy. I read through everything I have missed and I am glad everyone so far seems to be doing good :) 

As for my update, it is not so promising. I had an awful breakout and I got very self conscious and began BP in conjunction with thyme to control and ease the craziness on my face. I know I said I was going to use thyme for a longer period, but I felt awful.  My acne is so severe so I do not think it will work as well as mild or moderate acne. I began to get nasty cysts and pimples. 

Thyme tincture is very promising for mild to moderate acne and possibly severe acne.  I was not able to continue to use thyme on its own sadly, but know a few people on acne.org, including my best friend who can use thyme and stay very clear…. To be completely honest, I am hoping to be on accutane in the near future. My acne is out of control and causing permanent scaring so I don't want to continue with treatments that don't  work well enough for ME, albeit it may work for other skin types.  

Anway, let us continue the testimonies of thyme tincture for those who are having success with it! Post questions you have and this time I will try and not be gone for so long :P

Anyway shootout to heitea! I am super happy for you and the wonderful news you shared with us :) Thanks again for helping with this post I really appreciate it.

****Also please everyone do not focus on my partial failure with this regimen. My skin is just extra crazy.

#106 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sorry to hear it hasn't ended up so well :(

Maybe it will be the perfect thing for someone with mild acne but for crazy / severe / stubborn acne, maybe it's not enough.

Thanks so much for starting this thread and sharing this info with us! I may still try it out in the future :)

#107 GouldbergVariations

GouldbergVariations

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

I am mildly frightened now about a potential breakout. I haven't used BP in about a week and been using heavily infused Thyme with witch hazel ( no alcohol). What I have noticed so far is generally tightening of my face, pores look smaller but I have had red bumps popping up on both sides of my face. Not large smaller ones, which seemed to have subsided a bit today. My face is very non irritated and the complexion is not red but whiter. I modified my toner yesterday by bumping the witch hazel/thyme solution into a 50/50 apple cider vinegar mixture, with 2 bags of steeping Yerba mate tea ( highest antioxidant level of all teas). I am hoping this works, as I am getting sick of jumping back on BP. I will show you where I am at right now

I should also note that I was getting very large zits around mouth area, and on lips a few days ago but they seem to be going away. So my regime is washing face at night with oatmeal oats, apply this toner, 1 hour later apply green tea moisturizer by green beaver . If I am at home all day studying or whatever then I will apply 2 times, but only wash once a day because my skin is very sensitive.

So this is about a week of using the thyme tincture. and the next day after starting the modified thyme toner, sorry about the flip page, iPad is strange for uploading pics.

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by GouldbergVariations, 03 October 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#108 thereisalwayshope

thereisalwayshope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I am mildly frightened now about a potential breakout. I haven't used BP in about a week and been using heavily infused Thyme with witch hazel ( no alcohol). 

Would you ever consider using alcohol? Since it is what has been said to bring out the acne fighting ingredient in thyme? I heard ACV may be able to as well so I am curious to see how things will turn out for you.

Sorry to hear it hasn't ended up so well sad.png

Maybe it will be the perfect thing for someone with mild acne but for crazy / severe / stubborn acne, maybe it's not enough.

Thanks so much for starting this thread and sharing this info with us! I may still try it out in the future smile.png

You're welcome :) 

I also don't know how to get that article on this post lol.

#109 Bostontrouble

Bostontrouble

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

3 weeks later and my skin is a mess. Broke out terribly, and dry and itchy. Have to give this up. Derm on Tuesday. Cetaphil and cerave until then.

#110 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

The one from earlier? Didn't the message go through with it attached?

#111 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone think that thyme essential oil would have the same kind of effect as thyme steeped in witch hazel? I like this tincture but I find it difficult to use all over my face more than once in a day because the alcohol is pretty drying (my skin is generally more dry than oily). 

#112 GouldbergVariations

GouldbergVariations

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

I might actually be switxhing to a niacinamide topical. B vitamin which as been marketed by different pharm companies , and been shown to be as effective in not more than clindamycin with no possibility for antibacterial resistance . Also it's renowned for its ability to prevent water loss from the epidermal layer, and antiflammatory effects, oh and it's natural.
So I am going to switch to making my own niacinamide gel as I have seen from other DYI users. Niacin is extremely stable , so I plan on using aloe Vera as a carrier and pure niacin-amide powder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17147561
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7657446
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16766489
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16209160

Edited by GouldbergVariations, 05 October 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#113 thereisalwayshope

thereisalwayshope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Does anyone think that thyme essential oil would have the same kind of effect as thyme steeped in witch hazel? I like this tincture but I find it difficult to use all over my face more than once in a day because the alcohol is pretty drying (my skin is generally more dry than oily). 

When I was reading about thyme it was said explicitly that it is the tincture that works and not the essential oil. But you can always try :)

I might actually be switxhing to a niacinamide topical. B vitamin which as been marketed by different pharm companies , and been shown to be as effective in not more than clindamycin with no possibility for antibacterial resistance . Also it's renowned for its ability to prevent water loss from the epidermal layer, and antiflammatory effects, oh and it's natural.
So I am going to switch to making my own niacinamide gel as I have seen from other DYI users. Niacin is extremely stable , so I plan on using aloe Vera as a carrier and pure niacin-amide powder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17147561
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7657446
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16766489
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16209160

Sounds really awesome and promising :) I have read about good things in regards to nicatimamide, so I hope this will work for you! When you do make it, can you provide a recipe here so people can make it for themselves if they see it works for you! 

The one from earlier? Didn't the message go through with it attached?

Hmmm no if you did I do not see it…can you send it again please?

#114 GouldbergVariations

GouldbergVariations

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

I took the niacinamide recipe off essentialdayspa poster.
2 oz. of pure aloe Vera as a carrier
2 oz of distillec water
9 (500mg) capsules of niacinamide now brand..
this gives a 4% preparation which is used topically as treatment.
instead of distiller water I used dickinsons witch hazel.
These three ingredients are what is in metazene prescription, and it's all natural. and CHEAP
I hope this works out for me

Edited by GouldbergVariations, 09 October 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#115 GouldbergVariations

GouldbergVariations

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

I started the niacinamide yesterday! and am going to rotate days between it and niacinamide and ween off the Bp. will let you know how it goes.

#116 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Anyone still trying out this thyme tincture? How's it going for you?

#117 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'm still using it, I made my second batch a couple of days ago! 

I like how this works for my skin. I use it maybe twice or three times a day. Initially I used it more like six times a day but it was drying my skin out too much so I scaled it back. 

Witch hazel seems to be soothing my skin and reducing red marks (erythema). And I kind of like the way the combination smells, although at first it was pretty nasty :P

Using this and TTO now for any pustules or papules I get, they seem just as effective in healing them as BP ever was, and less damaging to boot! :D

Anyone else found success with it??

#118 thereisalwayshope

thereisalwayshope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Anyone still trying out this thyme tincture? How's it going for you?

I still use it but I use BP in conduction to stay clearest :) My crazy skin just does stay clear enough with thyme, but again my skin has always been crazy so really I am not surprised! lol.

#119 hitea

hitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

HI everyone! I'd like to post about how my acne battle is going.

I've not used the thyme tincture for about 2 weeks now besides as a spot treatment. I was getting a severely dry face to the point where I was itching intensely at night and actually making my existing spots worse. I think it was a combination of visiting a dry climate (Western U.S.) and the alcohol in the tincture.

I think what I really liked about the tincture was that it calmed my red marks a lot and sped up my healing time. But I've since found a much better way to combat my red marks. I've been using the Olay Pro-X spinning brush 2x a day and using Paula's Choice 5% AHA every night and it's really improving the look of my red marks. I've also cut down on the amount that I pick my face (I believe I have a form of dermatillomania where I can't "just stop" picking my face....). My red marks are the worst part of my acne because they make me look like I have a ton more active spots than I actually do. I'm using Cetaphil's antibacterial bar soap with the spinning brush and Cetaphil's Restoraderm moisturizer for eczema. I bought the moisturizer because of how itchy my face was, but now that my face isn't itchy I still like it as a daily/nightly moisturizer.

I do want to say that I got an under-the-skin pimple (more of a nodule than a cyst) beside my nose about 2 1/2 weeks ago and instead of popping it--which is what I wanted to do-- I soaked it with my tincture and then put some AHA on it for two nights in a row. It was gone-- no red mark--- in two days. Kinda awesome. I'm thinking about getting some 100% witch hazel and using it as a calming toner.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to use the tincture as long as I intended. This post was long, but I figured I might as well let you guys know what's been working for me. The biggest thing is NOT picking my face. For any ladies reading, I think that Beyaz has helped me in terms of cystic, jawline and chin acne. I haven't had a real cyst in two months (OMG--that's amazing for me...) and I'm on my third pack of the birth control. I'm going to basic training in February and I'd like my skin to not be a disaster area so that I can feel okay without makeup on during those 2 months. It looks as though I may actually reach that goal. I will post pictures when I get there! :D Let me know if you have any questions!

#120 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

HI everyone! I'd like to post about how my acne battle is going.

I've not used the thyme tincture for about 2 weeks now besides as a spot treatment. I was getting a severely dry face to the point where I was itching intensely at night and actually making my existing spots worse. I think it was a combination of visiting a dry climate (Western U.S.) and the alcohol in the tincture.

I think what I really liked about the tincture was that it calmed my red marks a lot and sped up my healing time. But I've since found a much better way to combat my red marks. I've been using the Olay Pro-X spinning brush 2x a day and using Paula's Choice 5% AHA every night and it's really improving the look of my red marks. I've also cut down on the amount that I pick my face (I believe I have a form of dermatillomania where I can't "just stop" picking my face....). My red marks are the worst part of my acne because they make me look like I have a ton more active spots than I actually do. I'm using Cetaphil's antibacterial bar soap with the spinning brush and Cetaphil's Restoraderm moisturizer for eczema. I bought the moisturizer because of how itchy my face was, but now that my face isn't itchy I still like it as a daily/nightly moisturizer.

I do want to say that I got an under-the-skin pimple (more of a nodule than a cyst) beside my nose about 2 1/2 weeks ago and instead of popping it--which is what I wanted to do-- I soaked it with my tincture and then put some AHA on it for two nights in a row. It was gone-- no red mark--- in two days. Kinda awesome. I'm thinking about getting some 100% witch hazel and using it as a calming toner.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to use the tincture as long as I intended. This post was long, but I figured I might as well let you guys know what's been working for me. The biggest thing is NOT picking my face. For any ladies reading, I think that Beyaz has helped me in terms of cystic, jawline and chin acne. I haven't had a real cyst in two months (OMG--that's amazing for me...) and I'm on my third pack of the birth control. I'm going to basic training in February and I'd like my skin to not be a disaster area so that I can feel okay without makeup on during those 2 months. It looks as though I may actually reach that goal. I will post pictures when I get there! biggrin.png Let me know if you have any questions!

It's great that the Beyaz is working for you!

For a non-alcohol witch hazel toner I'd like to recommend Thayer's brand. I think it is really great, and they contain aloe vera which is good. The rose one smells fantastic. I think they do a lavender one too which would be nice for nighttime.

I'm pretty sure I already asked you this before in another thread, but I forget what you said and I wanted to be completely sure. Which version of the Paula's Choice AHA are you using? Is it the Resist line one? Is it gel or liquid? I'm thinking I may get it when I get my next pay cheque. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users