Going Au Naturale ?

27 replies to this topic

#21 peggy1994

peggy1994

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I stopped wearing makeup right before the holidays and honestly, I'm so glad I did. My skin is far from perfect yet; I have scars and I still break out with a few bumps every once in a while. But I'm still working on it! I think that since I've stopped covering my face in foundation every day, my skin has been allowed to breathe and heal properly. It's hard, I know. I get self-conscious every day. But I'm seeing a difference in my skin as a result of cutting makeup, and so I'm willing to endure the little bit of anxiety I get when I step outside au naturale. Plus, the amount of time I spend in the bathroom now has been cut in half since I don't stand in front of the mirror masking my face anymore, so that's a bonus too! Just stick it through and I'm sure you'll start seeing a difference soon enough! 

#22 daizrose

daizrose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:make-up, skincare and studying history!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hiya, i would love to go make-up free (by this i mean foundation) but i only manage to in the summer when my skin clears up a little/i have a tan.

I could by no means go to uni or work without makeup  i dont think people would even recognise me and it just feels all greasy and stuff without it and im more likely to touch my face.

Despite this, wearing heavy foundation is a real pain because of the time it takes to put on and take off. i dont think it makes my skin worse though because it makes a barrier between by skin and the air which, in london, is filthy and makes my skin worse when going 'au naturel'

Strange ay!

#23 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

I like my light coating of mineral powder with zinc. (I just noticed in my recent shopping around that many brands don't have it and the one I've been using has changed) It's beneficial and you can't feel it.

I think what's even more beneficial is to o au natural when it comes to cleansers as they impair skin function. It strips away lipids from skin that produce enzymes involved in exfoliation. And changes the PH of skin which iprotects skin from microbes and must be just right for those enzymes to function. Amongst many other things.

I've used only water with oil cleansing to remove makeup for a couple of years now, and my skin is amazing. It startles me nearly every day how soft my skin is.

Edited by alternativista, 02 March 2014 - 07:43 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#24 Dari elle

Dari elle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My interests are reading, writing, pinning, gymming and experimenting with ways to become acne free!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I've been thinking about doing the same but i've gotten so accustomed to hiding behind makeup that i won't dare leave the house without my mask on. Kudos to you for gaining some self confidence back, only hope I could do the same..

#25 creativedisplayname

creativedisplayname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

I just realized I never gave a straight up reply , well update on this lol. I went makeup-free... for two months. LONGEST two months of my life. Funny enough I started weekly ceramics classes and they were hell to go to but surprisingly I went, Somedays I would feel like a freak but others,I was thankfully fine. Didn't see much difference in my acne either, I gave up makeup because I was just done, I didn't care anymore. I thought I would then be close to clear skin for good but it was not what I expected. I hid as much of my skin in hair, not like the hairy midget from the adams family though(forgot the name).  Don't know whwere I'm headed with this but yeah I learned stuff I guess from it , I just want to help my scarring and acne in genneral as much as possible, not have the most perfect crystal clear type of skin but clearish enough to just be comfortable without stupid paint on my face. I know I need confidence but it'd be much easier if I didn't have any crap on my face....I also learned that some people are just really nice and not shallow, wish everyone was like that.

#26 eveum

eveum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

This is a very brave thing to do and in my lifetime I've only left the house a couple of times without make-up.

As counter intuitive as it might sound, for me, wearing make-up (at least foundation) is better for my skin. When I don't wear make-up I find my face gets extremely oily a couple of hours later and I am much more tempted to touch and pick at my acne when I have nothing on my face. I tried going make-up free around my house for a few weeks and it did nothing to improve my skin, and I just picked at it more. I use a small amount of mineral full coverage powder but I feel that when it's on I don't touch my face or worry about how I look as much.

I don't feel like you need to use a very heavy liquid/cream foundation to feel confident. Although my make-up is supposed to be full coverage it doesn't cover all my acne marks/spots completely and I don't mind, it evens out my skin tone and covers redness but still looks like skin. I spent years trying drug store foundations and wondering why it looked awful on my skin and looked good on all the other girls and have come to the conclusion that liquid foundations just don't work with my skin.  

Edited by eveum, 08 March 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#27 cupcakejess

cupcakejess

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

People treat me differently when I wear makeup, like they accept me more, because my face doesn't only have acne, it is also red and flushed in the middle of the day, so makeup has been my best friend. I don't want to have to rely on it forever, though, I want to have a perfect face so that I don't have to be tied down trying to cover my face everyday.

#28 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

You're braver than me! I didn't go without until my skin cleared up. Now I feel fab without it, but still wear a little foundation just to look put together in the morning.

Suffered from acne as a young adult that went into remission when put on hormonal birth control. Went off the HBC around age 22 and the acne returned with a vengeance (along with a host of other hormonal complaints). 100% clear with a modified diet that excludes dairy, sugars, grains, citrus and cured meats and emphasizes whole food-based nutrition from both plant and animal sources, most notably organ meats like liver and juiced whole vegetables. I have included a recipe for the most helpful juice I have come up with for skin complaints. I drink it every day, and it is invaluable for acne due to the large amounts of vitamin A (carotenoids) from both the carrots and beets. It also helps improve your coloring if you are very fair, giving you a pinkish, more radiant look (not orange. Don't worry!).

Magic Juice

In a juicer, combine:

5-6 carrots

1 medium beet

2-3 stalks of celery

1 small apple (Green is preferred. Omit if you are very sugar-sensitive)

1 small (1inch) piece of ginger (optional, but good for digestion)

This makes a variable amount of juice depending on the size of the vegetables you use.

Drink this throughout the morning until it's gone. Store in the fridge not longer than one day.

Having perfectly clear skin on my wedding day was worth all the headache and effort of figuring out how diet affects acne!

10253792_10152330899888950_7455033623381

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users