Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

217 replies to this topic

#121 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Many years ago, when I was going through this whole IBS debacle, I was almost completely clear on HCL + Pepsin + Digestive Enzymes. The only dietary change I had made at that point was no dairy and no sugar. I wasn't on that stuff for acne, I was on it to clear up my IBS, but I noticed it was making positive changes in my skin. This was before I took alternative treatments for acne seriously. I was just waiting to get health insurance again so I could go on Accutane. Even though I was clearing up, I felt that it would come back like it always had, and just wanted that "magic bullet" that Accutane promised. 

Well, eventually I got health insurance again, and went to my dermatologist for an Accutane prescription. However because I was so clear, he wouldn't give it to me, and put me on a stronger retinoid and Ortho Tri Cyclen. I broke out pretty bad and spiraled downward. Since my IBS was gone, I soon stopped taking the HCL + Pepsin + Enzymes, and didn't think much about the connection between them and my acne until later. 

I used a tablet that combines HCL, Pepsin, and various enzymes. You do need the pepsin. HCL without the pepsin is not nearly as effective. I think the enzymes are slightly less important, since you are supposed to generate those from your pancreas when the gastric acid is secreted, but some people don't have enough of those either. 

I don't use these things currently, but if my IBS symptoms flared up I would know where to turn.

As for dosage, I did the "acid test", which is on that page I linked you to in the previous post. The one where you take increasing amounts of capsules until you feel a warming in your stomach. I never felt a warming, but I did find a dosage that gave me heartburn, so I went down from that. Over time, I would get heartburn again, and I would lower it again. 

P.S. Inositol slightly increases stomach acid production. Thought you might find that interesting. 

Awesome, I'll give those a try as well. I notice that the formula includes natural antihistamines like bromelain, which is great. What is ox bile though? Is it what I think it is? haha. Is the Optimal Digestive System the vegetarian version, or is that a different supplement? 

I'll try the acid test and the baking soda test to check if I have low stomach acid. I know I have IBS symptoms, and when I did the candida test it also showed many candida symptoms. I used to be a smoker, and after 2 years of quitting I took it up again for a couple of months and the IBS got really bad. Now that I quit smoking again I seem to be doing better but only if I stick to a mostly raw food diet.  Do you think that if I fix low stomach acid, then leaky gut and candida will also improve? 

Interesting about inositol....it has so many benefits. My numbness has almost completely gone away now, so even if it's not my full hormonal cure, I'll keep taking it bc it's such a multitasker. teehee.gif

#122 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Many years ago, when I was going through this whole IBS debacle, I was almost completely clear on HCL + Pepsin + Digestive Enzymes. The only dietary change I had made at that point was no dairy and no sugar. I wasn't on that stuff for acne, I was on it to clear up my IBS, but I noticed it was making positive changes in my skin. This was before I took alternative treatments for acne seriously. I was just waiting to get health insurance again so I could go on Accutane. Even though I was clearing up, I felt that it would come back like it always had, and just wanted that "magic bullet" that Accutane promised. 

Well, eventually I got health insurance again, and went to my dermatologist for an Accutane prescription. However because I was so clear, he wouldn't give it to me, and put me on a stronger retinoid and Ortho Tri Cyclen. I broke out pretty bad and spiraled downward. Since my IBS was gone, I soon stopped taking the HCL + Pepsin + Enzymes, and didn't think much about the connection between them and my acne until later. 

I used a tablet that combines HCL, Pepsin, and various enzymes. You do need the pepsin. HCL without the pepsin is not nearly as effective. I think the enzymes are slightly less important, since you are supposed to generate those from your pancreas when the gastric acid is secreted, but some people don't have enough of those either. 

I don't use these things currently, but if my IBS symptoms flared up I would know where to turn.

As for dosage, I did the "acid test", which is on that page I linked you to in the previous post. The one where you take increasing amounts of capsules until you feel a warming in your stomach. I never felt a warming, but I did find a dosage that gave me heartburn, so I went down from that. Over time, I would get heartburn again, and I would lower it again. 

P.S. Inositol slightly increases stomach acid production. Thought you might find that interesting. 

Awesome, I'll give those a try as well. I notice that the formula includes natural antihistamines like bromelain, which is great. What is ox bile though? Is it what I think it is? haha. Is the Optimal Digestive System the vegetarian version, or is that a different supplement? 

I'll try the acid test and the baking soda test to check if I have low stomach acid. I know I have IBS symptoms, and when I did the candida test it also showed many candida symptoms. I used to be a smoker, and after 2 years of quitting I took it up again for a couple of months and the IBS got really bad. Now that I quit smoking again I seem to be doing better but only if I stick to a mostly raw food diet.  Do you think that if I fix low stomach acid, then leaky gut and candida will also improve? 

Interesting about inositol....it has so many benefits. My numbness has almost completely gone away now, so even if it's not my full hormonal cure, I'll keep taking it bc it's such a multitasker. teehee.gif

Ox Bile helps digest fats. 

Bromelain has effects that are beneficial for the stomach, so the antihistamine part is just an indirect benefit. 

#123 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

Bromelain has effects that are beneficial for the stomach, so the antihistamine part is just an indirect benefit. 

Thanks....I'm also following a low histamine/ leaky gut diet. Will that also help? I have so many symptoms of leaky gut/ candida, and my acne clears up when I'm doing a very strict paleo without nuts but with good starches like sweet potatoes. I never get stomach pains when I'm doing this diet either. But it's pretty restrictive and the food takes time to prepare. 

#124 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thanks....I'm also following a low histamine/ leaky gut diet. Will that also help? I have so many symptoms of leaky gut/ candida, and my acne clears up when I'm doing a very strict paleo without nuts but with good starches like sweet potatoes. I never get stomach pains when I'm doing this diet either. But it's pretty restrictive and the food takes time to prepare. 

Leaky gut doesn't happen if you

1) have enough stomach acid

+

2) have a healthy stomach lining

While I think leaky gut diets can be helpful, I think the real solution is to solve those 2 issues so you don't have to eat that way.

Stomach acid is really an amazing thing that not only kills harmful microbes in our food but prevents allergic reactions in the first place.

HCL + pepsin + enzymes is the best thing to get your stomach acid production at the right level.

There are different herbs like slippery elm and licorice root that you can take for the stomach lining, if you think you have an issue there.

Edited by Green Gables, 28 October 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#125 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Leaky gut doesn't happen if you

1) have enough stomach acid

+

2) have a healthy stomach lining

While I think leaky gut diets can be helpful, I think the real solution is to solve those 2 issues so you don't have to eat that way.

Stomach acid is really an amazing thing that not only kills harmful microbes in our food but prevents allergic reactions in the first place.

HCL + pepsin + enzymes is the best thing to get your stomach acid production at the right level.

There are different herbs like slippery elm and licorice root that you can take for the stomach lining, if you think you have an issue there.

Thanks, I'll definitely go get HCL & pepsin. I have been using enzymedica's digest spectrum, which works great when I remember to take it. 

Unfortunately, every time I try licorice and similar herbs, I get detox reactions (stomach pains and red bumps on my face). Not sure if that means they are working, or if I'm just having a reaction to them. 

I will probably need to wait until I get my paycheck to go get the new supplements. In the mean time, I have some aloe vera juice at home - will that help temporarily you think? 

Also, is HCL the same as HCI? I see both mentioned on the forum, wasn't sure if it's the same thing. Do you know if there's a gelatin-free version of the supplement you recommended (veggie version)?

#126 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

I must've said this somewhere already, but when I tried HCL tablets I just got a lot of gas and my stomach was very upset the whole 3-4 months I continued with it (before I didn't have any issues of the sort, just acne). I don't know why, but it must've somehow made my small intestine too acidic (by not fully digesting before the duodenum or some such) and disturbed intestinal enzymes. Digestion is such a delicate system and hard to set right if disturbed.

#127 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I must've said this somewhere already, but when I tried HCL tablets I just got a lot of gas and my stomach was very upset the whole 3-4 months I continued with it (before I didn't have any issues of the sort, just acne). I don't know why, but it must've somehow made my small intestine too acidic (by not fully digesting before the duodenum or some such) and disturbed intestinal enzymes. Digestion is such a delicate system and hard to set right if disturbed.

What brand were you taking? Did you have low acid symptoms before taking HCL? 

I'm trying to see if there's a vegetarian version of the supplement greengables recommended because usually the gelatin in the capsule bothers me. The only one I found so far is Thorne Research's hcl& pepsin, but there's a warning about porcine allergies from this product, so I'm guessing it's derived from pigs. Are all hcl& pepsin supplements derived from pigs? 

#128 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

This is very interesting! (:

My experience with HCL: I had intense stomach pains pretty much since birth, and there was nothing that would help. Years ago, after looking more into it myself, I found that I actually probably didn't have enough stomach acid, as the pain always happened after eating. I took HCL after every meal and it helped me a lot, but one day it started to give me a "warm" sensation like Green Gables was talking about. Since then I haven't taken it and if I avoid wheat I rarely get stomach pain. I wonder if it's one of those supplements that "fix" the problem and you can stop taking it. I would definitely consider taking it again if the pain came back.

Side note, when I went to a GP about it, he quickly told me that it was ulcers and that I needed an acid reducer. He told me to take Prilosec (PPI.) I took it for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. However, when I stopped it was like going through hell... I have never had that kind of pain/heartburn in my life. Anyway, I did some research and found out that the withdrawal symptoms do eventually go away, after around 6 weeks, and they did. This kind of thing just makes me further believe that doctors don't always know what they're doing/prescribing.

#129 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

This is very interesting! (:

My experience with HCL: I had intense stomach pains pretty much since birth, and there was nothing that would help. Years ago, after looking more into it myself, I found that I actually probably didn't have enough stomach acid, as the pain always happened after eating. I took HCL after every meal and it helped me a lot, but one day it started to give me a "warm" sensation like Green Gables was talking about. Since then I haven't taken it and if I avoid wheat I rarely get stomach pain. I wonder if it's one of those supplements that "fix" the problem and you can stop taking it. I would definitely consider taking it again if the pain came back.

Side note, when I went to a GP about it, he quickly told me that it was ulcers and that I needed an acid reducer. He told me to take Prilosec (PPI.) I took it for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. However, when I stopped it was like going through hell... I have never had that kind of pain/heartburn in my life. Anyway, I did some research and found out that the withdrawal symptoms do eventually go away, after around 6 weeks, and they did. This kind of thing just makes me further believe that doctors don't always know what they're doing/prescribing.

Interesting...I definitely need to try HCL. I thought probiotics might help, and they did for a while, but now my diet is so clean that every time I eat some junk food my stomach goes crazy, and my face swells up! How long were you taking HCL before it started to give you a warm sensation? I wonder if, like you said, it fixed the problem and you no longer needed it. Were you taking HCL alone or with pepsin, like greengables? 

I think my acne is caused by 2 things: hormones and allergies/intolerances (esp. since the blood tests I did a while ago confirmed that my body produces a high number of antibodies and it's "reactive"). So I need to take something in addition to inositol to address the digestive issues. I'm usually fine, unless I eat something sugary or fried. But once I do, then I start getting stomach pains for days after. 

#130 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Interesting...I definitely need to try HCL. I thought probiotics might help, and they did for a while, but now my diet is so clean that every time I eat some junk food my stomach goes crazy, and my face swells up! How long were you taking HCL before it started to give you a warm sensation? I wonder if, like you said, it fixed the problem and you no longer needed it. Were you taking HCL alone or with pepsin, like greengables? 

I think my acne is caused by 2 things: hormones and allergies/intolerances (esp. since the blood tests I did a while ago confirmed that my body produces a high number of antibodies and it's "reactive"). So I need to take something in addition to inositol to address the digestive issues. I'm usually fine, unless I eat something sugary or fried. But once I do, then I start getting stomach pains for days after. 

I think you're onto something, since you do seem to react so much to certain foods, etc. I'm excited for you because half of the battle is just figuring out what is going on. Even if HCL doesn't help, at least it was something to consider. I took it for a couple months before I got the warm stomach sensations... It definitely worked faster than the hormonal treatments, at least for stomach issues. It got rid of my stomach pain almost immediately. I just took plain HCL, the cheapest at the health food store. I didn't know about pepsin or anything like that when I tried it.

#131 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think you're onto something, since you do seem to react so much to certain foods, etc. I'm excited for you because half of the battle is just figuring out what is going on. Even if HCL doesn't help, at least it was something to consider. I took it for a couple months before I got the warm stomach sensations... It definitely worked faster than the hormonal treatments, at least for stomach issues. It got rid of my stomach pain almost immediately. I just took plain HCL, the cheapest at the health food store. I didn't know about pepsin or anything like that when I tried it.

It feels like I'm solving a puzzle...so many pieces to put together. When I was younger, I put my body through hell by doing fad diets, chain smoking, laxatives, malnutrition, etc. It makes sense that I'm paying for it now. 

I remembered that almost 2 years ago, a naturopath gave me sodium chloride drops to minimize allergic reactions. Those drops helped me for a few months, but then I think I became immune to them or something because I got hives once even after I took the drops. But I'm thinking....doesn't sodium chloride also help with stomach acid? Could that be why the drops were helping and minimizing my allergies? I'm trying to see if what worked in the  past might work now, in terms of the approach. That naturopath also suspected I may have candida or leaky gut....I mean, all those years of abuse must have definitely cause some kind of damage to my body. It's catching up to me now strongsad.gif

hearts, when you were taking HCL did you notice a difference in your skin? 

I'm wondering....if a person is generally acidic rather than alkaline, is that different from low/high stomach acid? Because I have most of the symptoms for acidity in the body, but I don't know if that also means acidity in the stomach, maybe it's something different?

And sorry for the TMI...I have regular bowel movements, almost too regular, would that still mean I have low stomach acid?

Edited by WishClean, 28 October 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#132 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

It depends on who you ask, but some claim that HCL + Pepsin usage over a longer period of time will retrain your stomach to produce more acid on its own. I have only heard this claim specifically about HCL with Pepsin though, not HCL on its own.

Anecdotally, My IBS symptoms went away after multiple months of HCL + Pepsin, so I believe that it had some long-term effects.

Sorry I have no idea about a veggie version of the supplement.

The whole acidic/alkaline thing of your "body" is separate from stomach acid. Your stomach HAS to be at a low pH to function.

WishClean, were you ever tested for H. pylori? Not to throw another puzzle piece in the mix, but H. pylori thrives in low acid stomachs, and once it takes hold, it will also secrete an ammonia-like substance to reduce your stomach acid levels further (acid is toxic to it). 

You can get a pretty definitive test for H. pylori from a doctor. Though personally I wouldn't use the standard medical treatment for it, which is proton pump inhibitors / antacids and antibiotics. They use the antacids to make the stomach more hospitable to the H. pylori, so it will come out of the stomach mucus layer, and then attack it with antibiotics. But rate of reinfection is high because you just created the perfect environment for H. pylori to take hold again (an alkaline stomach and no good bacteria to counteract the H. pylori).

You can kill H. pylori eventually by having your stomach at a good acid level consistently. The bacteria has to come out from the mucus layer to feed sometime...so if you don't give it a low acid environment, it will starve / die. May take a while though.

Edited by Green Gables, 28 October 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#133 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

It feels like I'm solving a puzzle...so many pieces to put together. When I was younger, I put my body through hell by doing fad diets, chain smoking, laxatives, malnutrition, etc. It makes sense that I'm paying for it now. 

I remembered that almost 2 years ago, a naturopath gave me sodium chloride drops to minimize allergic reactions. Those drops helped me for a few months, but then I think I became immune to them or something because I got hives once even after I took the drops. But I'm thinking....doesn't sodium chloride also help with stomach acid? Could that be why the drops were helping and minimizing my allergies? I'm trying to see if what worked in the  past might work now, in terms of the approach. That naturopath also suspected I may have candida or leaky gut....I mean, all those years of abuse must have definitely cause some kind of damage to my body. It's catching up to me now strongsad.gif

hearts, when you were taking HCL did you notice a difference in your skin? 

I'm wondering....if a person is generally acidic rather than alkaline, is that different from low/high stomach acid? Because I have most of the symptoms for acidity in the body, but I don't know if that also means acidity in the stomach, maybe it's something different?

And sorry for the TMI...I have regular bowel movements, almost too regular, would that still mean I have low stomach acid?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that... on the bright side though, with enough care the body has an amazing ability to heal itself! (: I know you'll sort everything out!

I really don't know anything about sodium chloride other than it does exist in stomach acid. Perhaps it could have helped, but the main ingredient in stomach acid is hydrochloric acid (HCL.)

When taking HCL, I noticed no difference in my skin. I don't think my acne was really related to digestion — only hormones. Not that I do this, but I can and could eat a bunch of junk food and have zero consequences (other than stomach pain before HCL), even before balancing my hormones. However, acne CAN be a symptom of low stomach acid, as already mentioned.

I'm not sure if regular BMs have anything to do with stomach acid. I was the opposite, but that could just be one symptom you don't have. Not everyone will have the same symptoms. By the way, I found this DIY test if you'd like to try it before purchasing HCL. Of course it's not a catch-all, but it could be worth a try. I forgot to mention it was Betaine HCL that I used... not sure if there is a different kind.

If you're nervous about trying supplemental hydrochloric acid, you can do a trial with 1-2 TBSP of organic apple cider vinegar mixed with 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water after a meal. If it makes you feel better and does not hurt, you most likely would benefit from taking 500 - 1000 mg. of Betaine HCl with your meals.

Edited by hearts, 29 October 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#134 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

It depends on who you ask, but some claim that HCL + Pepsin usage over a longer period of time will retrain your stomach to produce more acid on its own. I have only heard this claim specifically about HCL with Pepsin though, not HCL on its own.

Anecdotally, My IBS symptoms went away after multiple months of HCL + Pepsin, so I believe that it had some long-term effects.

Sorry I have no idea about a veggie version of the supplement.

The whole acidic/alkaline thing of your "body" is separate from stomach acid. Your stomach HAS to be at a low pH to function.

WishClean, were you ever tested for H. pylori? Not to throw another puzzle piece in the mix, but H. pylori thrives in low acid stomachs, and once it takes hold, it will also secrete an ammonia-like substance to reduce your stomach acid levels further (acid is toxic to it). 

You can get a pretty definitive test for H. pylori from a doctor. Though personally I wouldn't use the standard medical treatment for it, which is proton pump inhibitors / antacids and antibiotics. They use the antacids to make the stomach more hospitable to the H. pylori, so it will come out of the stomach mucus layer, and then attack it with antibiotics. But rate of reinfection is high because you just created the perfect environment for H. pylori to take hold again (an alkaline stomach and no good bacteria to counteract the H. pylori).

You can kill H. pylori eventually by having your stomach at a good acid level consistently. The bacteria has to come out from the mucus layer to feed sometime...so if you don't give it a low acid environment, it will starve / die. May take a while though.

Uh oh...another thing to think about! How common is H. pylori? Are there any shots to prevent these type of infections?Because I haven't had shots in years. Usually, whenever I have a bacterial infection I break out on my forehead... but who knows, maybe this might explain why I have so many digestive issues. What type of doctor would be best to see about this? Most doctors I've seen so far are kind of useless. 

I have been drinking aloe vera juice for the past 2 days, and I haven't had any other breakouts...the breakout I got this time looked different, it was just red spots with no puss, and when I tried to extract one it just got swollen. They looked a bit like hives or welts actually - I get smaller ones on my arms whenever my histamines are high, but those go away within a day. 

I found a vegetarian hcl & pepsin supplement and I ordered it today. Hopefully it will get there soon. Last night I had an apple and within a few minutes the bloating started again. So yeah, there's definitely something going on in my stomach. I could even hear my stomach make weird noises, maybe that was the sound of stomach acid being produced? 

I also upped my inositol dose by a bit to see if that helps. 

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that... on the bright side though, with enough care the body has an amazing ability to heal itself! (: I know you'll sort everything out!

I really don't know anything about sodium chloride other than it does exist in stomach acid. Perhaps it could have helped, but the main ingredient in stomach acid is hydrochloric acid (HCL.)

When taking HCL, I noticed no difference in my skin. I don't think my acne was really related to digestion — only hormones. Not that I do this, but I can and could eat a bunch of junk food and have zero consequences (other than stomach pain before HCL), even before balancing my hormones. However, acne CAN be a symptom of low stomach acid, as already mentioned.

I'm not sure if regular BMs have anything to do with stomach acid. I was the opposite, but that could just be one symptom you don't have. Not everyone will have the same symptoms. By the way, I found this DIY test if you'd like to try it before purchasing HCL. Of course it's not a catch-all, but it could be worth a try. I forgot to mention it was Betaine HCL that I used... not sure if there is a different kind.

If you're nervous about trying supplemental hydrochloric acid, you can do a trial with 1-2 TBSP of organic apple cider vinegar mixed with 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water after a meal. If it makes you feel better and does not hurt, you most likely would benefit from taking 500 - 1000 mg. of Betaine HCl with your meals.

Thanks! I tried the ACV test before, but unfortunately I think I can't tolerate ACV. It caused me to break out in red spots, similar to when I drink lemon juice. Maybe it's because of the acidity? But I can probably do the trial with HCL, right? To see what happens when  I take it with a meal. I found some cheap hcl online, hopefully it will get here soon.

You're lucky you don't have to worry much about what you eat! I was never immune to sugar breakouts...even when I was on bcp  and vitex, I still broke out when I ate too much sugar. I think it also depends on what type of sugar...I seem to break out more when I eat white chocolate, whereas cheesecake doesn't bother me as much esp. when I take digestive enzymes beforehand. 

I'm trying to give my body the tools to heal itself....I believe that there's a cure for everything in nature, we just have to find the right one. Aloe seems to be helping me so far, I'll keep drinking it until I get the hcl in the mail. 

Today I read in the news about the huge grant that was given for research on dandelion root's cancer healing properties. A man managed to cure his leukemia by drinking it. Amazing! 

#135 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

How common is H. pylori infection?

Approximately two-thirds of the world's population is infected with H. pylori. In the United States, H. pylori is more prevalent among older adults, African Americans, Hispanics, and lower socioeconomic groups.

What illnesses does H. pylori cause?

Most persons who are infected with H. pylori never suffer any symptoms related to the infection; however, H. pylori causes chronic active, chronic persistent, and atrophic gastritis in adults and children. Infection with H. pylorialso causes duodenal and gastric ulcers. Infected persons have a 2- to 6-fold increased risk of developing gastric cancer and mucosal-associated-lymphoid-type (MALT) lymphoma compared with their uninfected counterparts. The role of H. pylori in non-ulcer dyspepsia remains unclear.

That's from Center for Disease Control and Prevention

http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer/keytocure.htm

#136 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

How common is H. pylori infection?

Approximately two-thirds of the world's population is infected with H. pylori. In the United States, H. pylori is more prevalent among older adults, African Americans, Hispanics, and lower socioeconomic groups.

What illnesses does H. pylori cause?

Most persons who are infected with H. pylori never suffer any symptoms related to the infection; however, H. pylori causes chronic active, chronic persistent, and atrophic gastritis in adults and children. Infection with H. pylorialso causes duodenal and gastric ulcers. Infected persons have a 2- to 6-fold increased risk of developing gastric cancer and mucosal-associated-lymphoid-type (MALT) lymphoma compared with their uninfected counterparts. The role of H. pylori in non-ulcer dyspepsia remains unclear.

That's from Center for Disease Control and Prevention

http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer/keytocure.htm

whoa, I had no idea it's that common. Will the pepsin and hcl bentaine I ordered help with this, or is the parasite cleanse different? I also started drinking 1 glass of aloe vera juice every night and I've had no new breakouts. Maybe it's a coincidence. I still have trouble eating too much at once, so I'm splitting up my meals into small doses and avoiding drinking water with meals. Btw, I read a post from someone who said they broke out from  betaine hcl....is betain derived from corn or dairy? 

Edited by WishClean, 30 October 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#137 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Wow, I am so sorry I misinformed everyone! I just dug through my drawer and found the REALLY old bottle of HCL that I took (expired in 2011, I should throw them out! lol) Here is the brand that I took, and it does contain pepsin. Again, sorry for the misinformation. P.S. It says on the bottle to not take it if your meal consists ONLY of salad or fruit. It also says it's derived from sugar beets.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000155NOC

And here is something else I've ran across... how too low of cortisol could be causing problems. Interestingly enough, cortisol is anti-inflammatory. If progesterone raises cortisol like Green Gables said, perhaps that could be another reason it can treat acne and other conditions. Some of the symptoms of low cortisol are the same as low progesterone. Anyway, something to think about! (:

http://www.betterhea...mones_cortisone

http://scdlifestyle....is-good-for-you

#138 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Wow, I am so sorry I misinformed everyone! I just dug through my drawer and found the REALLY old bottle of HCL that I took (expired in 2011, I should throw them out! lol) Here is the brand that I took, and it does contain pepsin. Again, sorry for the misinformation. P.S. It says on the bottle to not take it if your meal consists ONLY of salad or fruit. It also says it's derived from sugar beets.

And here is something else I've ran across... how too low of cortisol could be causing problems. Interestingly enough, cortisol is anti-inflammatory. If progesterone raises cortisol like Green Gables said, perhaps that could be another reason it can treat acne and other conditions. Some of the symptoms of low cortisol are the same as low progesterone. Anyway, something to think about! (:

Spironolactone slightly raises cortisol as well, though sometimes cortisol is a double-edged sword, too much cortisol can cause midsection weight gain and other problems. 

Also remember that progesterone is a precursor to cortisol. It's also a precursor to estrogen and testosterone. Technically it CAN morph into any of those substances as your body sees fit. So it is much more powerful and versatile than an anti-androgen drug because it can regulate hormones but also create more of them!

It is hard to say if weight gain on spiro occurs because of estrogen dominance or because of raised cortisol levels. Spiro definitely can give some people insomnia if taken too late in the day because of the cortisol spike (cortisol has to lower as the day wears on so you can fall asleep at night). 

Edited by Green Gables, 06 November 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#139 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Spironolactone slightly raises cortisol as well, though sometimes cortisol is a double-edged sword, too much cortisol can cause midsection weight gain and other problems. 

Also remember that progesterone is a precursor to cortisol. It's also a precursor to estrogen and testosterone. Technically it CAN morph into any of those substances as your body sees fit. So it is much more powerful and versatile than an anti-androgen drug because it can regulate hormones but also create more of them!

It is hard to say if weight gain on spiro occurs because of estrogen dominance or because of raised cortisol levels. Spiro definitely can give some people insomnia if taken too late in the day because of the cortisol spike (cortisol has to lower as the day wears on so you can fall asleep at night). 

green gables slightly off topic but are you currently using Mirvaso gel for rosacea symptoms?  I thought I recognized your name on another forum and was interested to know how its working for you. Im in the processing of awaiting it from my pharmacy.  

#140 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Interesting! I knew about progesterone being a precursor to many hormones, but I thought I would just bring it up in this thread because cortisol was mentioned earlier in relation to progesterone. 

I didn't know spiro affected cortisol too, however. It's weird, I gained SO much weight and had insomnia on spiro, and absolutely none on progesterone. In fact, progesterone keeps the bloat away and makes me sleep like a baby! Maybe it had to do more with the estrogen in spiro, at least in my case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users