Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

215 replies to this topic

#101 jade369

jade369

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:51 AM

Thanks hearts, so if it took three months to see improvement, how do you know you didn't have an IB? Sorry for asking soooo many questions, just want to anticipate what might happen with me, so I feel more encouraged to stick with a new treatment. smile.png

Not a problem at all, I will do everything I can to help! Your questions could also help others who are reading this thread but not posting.

The reason I know that I didn't get an initial breakout is because I had tapered down spiro from 100mg to 50mg and was already breaking out from lowering the dose before I started the cream. When I started progesterone it did not get any worse, just slowly got better — at the beginning of the three months I lowered my spiro dose even more (25mg and then off) and my skin did not get worse. I'm sure it would have if I didn't supplement the cream.

It's not like at the 3 month mark *BAM!* I was more clear... it was gradual but I really started noticing how much it was helping around that point. Hope this helps!

Hey Hearts,

I'd just like to say a huge thank you for such an informative thread!!

I've been taking Dim for almost a year now and it has calmed by hormonal acne incredibly well, considering what it was once like, I still suffer break outs but not nearly as bad. Anyway, I also take zinc and tried Saw Palmetto for 2-3 months but noticed no change. I've been considering NPC for a long time and after reading this post I am definitely going for it smile.png Just need to find a reliable natural brand selling in the UK..

I'm soo happy you have found something that has cleared you and works so well, your posts really reflect how happy you are smile.png

Also, I'd love to have seen your before and after pictures though for some reason I can't get them. 

Edited by jade369, 21 October 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#102 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hey Hearts,

I've been taking Dim for almost a year now and it has calmed by hormonal acne incredibly well, considering what it was once like, I still suffer break outs but not nearly as bad. Anyway, I also take zinc and tried Saw Palmetto for 2-3 months but noticed no change. I've been considering NPC for a long time and after reading this post I am definitely going for it smile.png Just need to find a reliable natural brand selling in the UK..

I'm soo happy you have found something that has cleared you and works so well, your posts really reflect how happy you are smile.png

Also, I'd love to have seen your before and after pictures though for some reason I can't get them. 

Thank YOU, jade! (: I'm so happy that DIM has worked for you as well! NPC may be enough to finish the job... it might be worth a try. There are several good brands on amazon.co.uk if you're interested in giving it a shot. Good luck! I reallllly hope that you can clear up the rest of the way!

I took the pictures down from the forum because I don't want them used for some other product or without my permission. Anyway, I'll send you a personal message with a new link to the before and after pics!

#103 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hey hearts,

I've been doing pretty good on NPC, except I recently got a new nodule. Argh! Do you think I still just need to be patient and NPC will eventually get rid of these? Should I up my dose around my period perhaps? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Hey Hearts,

I've been taking Dim for almost a year now and it has calmed by hormonal acne incredibly well, considering what it was once like, I still suffer break outs but not nearly as bad. Anyway, I also take zinc and tried Saw Palmetto for 2-3 months but noticed no change. I've been considering NPC for a long time and after reading this post I am definitely going for it :) Just need to find a reliable natural brand selling in the UK..
 I'm soo happy you have found something that has cleared you and works so well, your posts really reflect how happy you are :)

Thank YOU, jade! (: I'm so happy that DIM has worked for you as well! NPC may be enough to finish the job... it might be worth a try. There are several good brands on amazon.co.uk if you're interested in giving it a shot. Good luck! I reallllly hope that you can clear up the rest of the way!
I took the pictures down from the forum because I don't want them used for some other product or without my permission. Anyway, I'll send you a personal message with a new link to the before and after pics!

#104 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hey hearts,

I've been doing pretty good on NPC, except I recently got a new nodule. Argh! Do you think I still just need to be patient and NPC will eventually get rid of these? Should I up my dose around my period perhaps? Any tips would be much appreciated!

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well so early on in treatment! (: I wouldn't worry too much about one spot (even though it's sometimes hard not to) because it really hasn't been long at all. Your skin reacted much sooner than mine did. Because of this, I think there is a good chance that it could clear you completely given enough time, but the only way of knowing is to wait it out.

Upping the dose at certain times of your cycle can help. I like to use a little more around the first day of ovulation.

#105 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the encouragement hearts! I may try upping NPC around my period.

Hey hearts,

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well so early on in treatment! (: I wouldn't worry too much about one spot (even though it's sometimes hard not to) because it really hasn't been long at all. Your skin reacted much sooner than mine did. Because of this, I think there is a good chance that it could clear you completely given enough time, but the only way of knowing is to wait it out.
Upping the dose at certain times of your cycle can help. I like to use a little more around the first day of ovulation.

#106 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, it may or may not help... if you're still using 40mg day and night, that is a good amount for someone younger (not in menopause, etc.), IMO. I just know that around ovulation until my period my estrogen rises... even though progesterone rises during this time too, it's not just about that — it's about having enough progesterone in ratio to that estrogen spike. So even if your progesterone rises during that time, it may not increase enough.

I know how you feel about nodular acne. Almost every single zit that I had was nodular or cystic. I hope what you're dealing with is in a smaller area, as mine was large areas of my body (e.g., all over my back, etc.) Anyway, there are SO many options out there for hormonal treatments, including natural ones, like you're trying. It might take a lot of patience, but it will be worth it when you find something that works for you. (: Keep staying strong and patient! I am sending good vibes towards you! (:

Edited by hearts, 22 October 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#107 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

^^ I agree. That's what I was doing with the cream, increasing it around ovulation. The short time I used it, it did seem to lessen my ovulation breakouts but I wasn't taking it long enough to be certain. My sleep and anxiety improved at that time too, so I think it definitely works faster on other symptoms before it helps with the skin. Some women also spot treat with it, so you may want to try that if you get more nodules, which I hope you don't but just in case you do that's something you can try. 

#108 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Thank you so much for the positive vibes hearts! Your skin looks so beautiful now, hoping mine will get there too! I think I will try a little boost during my period to help prevent flare ups. :)
Thanks WishClean, I have been applying the cream to my face, hoping it has helped or may still. I have had nodules bigger than a penny in the past and this one is only about the size of a pencil eraser, so maybe the cream has helped lessen the size, or it could just be a coincidence.
The improved anxiety and sleep can't be bad for my skin either, so here's hoping NPC is my silver bullet and I can share my experience with other members. :)

Yeah, it may or may not help... if you're still using 40mg day and night, that is a good amount for someone younger (not in menopause, etc.), IMO. I just know that around ovulation until my period my estrogen rises... even though progesterone rises during this time too, it's not just about that — it's about having enough progesterone in ratio to that estrogen spike. So even if your progesterone rises during that time, it may not increase enough.
I know how you feel about nodular acne. Almost every single zit that I had was nodular or cystic. I hope what you're dealing with is in a smaller area, as mine was large areas of my body (e.g., all over my back, etc.) Anyway, there are SO many options out there for hormonal treatments, including natural ones, like you're trying. It might take a lot of patience, but it will be worth it when you find something that works for you. (: Keep staying strong and patient! I am sending good vibes towards you! (:

#109 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

I just wanted to update that I've stopped my progesterone experiment due to unrelated issues that have caused me to lay off any hormonal treatments for now. I may try this again later though. 

#110 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

I just wanted to update that I've stopped my progesterone experiment due to unrelated issues that have caused me to lay off any hormonal treatments for now. I may try this again later though. 

Oh no... what kind of issues, if you don't mind my asking. You don't have to say if it's personal. I was just wondering because the reason why I stopped NPC was because I was getting numbness and tingling, but now I found out that this might have just been a coincidence because it turns out the numbness was caused by something else. However, that temporarily scared me off the cream because the company rep told me it could be a side effect and that I should stop using it. I was using kokoro, btw. If inositol doesn't elevate my progesterone enough, then I will use an NPC the same brand as hearts. 

Edited by WishClean, 24 October 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#111 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

It's nothing to be worried about and not caused by the progesterone. I've PMd you. I didn't notice any negative effects from the progesterone cream while I used it.

#112 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

I saw DIM at the health store the other day, and I am considering adding it to my regimen until I can afford to get my hormones re-tested. I'm a bit hesitant at the moment because I'm trying to avoid herbal treatments at the moment and only take supplements instead, but I definitely need something that filters out excess estrogen, and the only thing I know which does so directly is DIM. Are there any others? I know vitex can do this to a certain extent, but what about any vitamins/ supplements that work similarly to DIM? As far as I know, anything that boosts progesterone (like NPC and inositol) only indirectly regulates estrogen, but doesn't necessarily filter out the bad/ excessive estrogens.

I also happened to read webmd's  page on DIM and I know this isn't the most reliable source but usually the information comes from a synthesis of various sources. Here's what confused me:

"Diindolylmethane might act like estrogen, so there is some concern that it might make hormone-sensitive conditions worse. These conditions include breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer; endometriosis; and uterine fibroids. However, developing research also suggests that diindolylmethane might work against estrogen and could possibly be protective against hormone-dependent cancers. But stay on the safe side. Until more is known, don’t use diindolylmethane if you have a hormone-sensitive condition."

So is it possible that DIM can mimic estrogen in some cases? I always take webmd with a grain of salt, but I haven't done any research on DIM myself so I was wondering what you think about this information. 

Edited by WishClean, 25 October 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#113 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

That could be why a lot of people breakout on DIM. It might only work for very specific cases. What about a standard cleanse or the lemon water liver detox?

I saw DIM at the health store the other day, and I am considering adding it to my regimen until I can afford to get my hormones re-tested. I'm a bit hesitant at the moment because I'm trying to avoid herbal treatments at the moment and only take supplements instead, but I definitely need something that filters out excess estrogen, and the only thing I know which does so directly is DIM. Are there any others? I know vitex can do this to a certain extent, but what about any vitamins/ supplements that work similarly to DIM? As far as I know, anything that boosts progesterone (like NPC and inositol) only indirectly regulates estrogen, but doesn't necessarily filter out the bad/ excessive estrogens.

I also happened to read webmd's  page on DIM and I know this isn't the most reliable source but usually the information comes from a synthesis of various sources. Here's what confused me:

"Diindolylmethane might act like estrogen, so there is some concern that it might make hormone-sensitive conditions worse. These conditions include breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer; endometriosis; and uterine fibroids. However, developing research also suggests that diindolylmethane might work against estrogen and could possibly be protective against hormone-dependent cancers. But stay on the safe side. Until more is known, don’t use diindolylmethane if you have a hormone-sensitive condition."

So is it possible that DIM can mimic estrogen in some cases? I always take webmd with a grain of salt, but I haven't done any research on DIM myself so I was wondering what you think about this information. 

Also, I only got tingling with NPC when I first started (first week). Now I don't notice anything.

Oh no... what kind of issues, if you don't mind my asking. You don't have to say if it's personal. I was just wondering because the reason why I stopped NPC was because I was getting numbness and tingling, but now I found out that this might have just been a coincidence because it turns out the numbness was caused by something else. However, that temporarily scared me off the cream because the company rep told me it could be a side effect and that I should stop using it. I was using kokoro, btw. If inositol doesn't elevate my progesterone enough, then I will use an NPC the same brand as hearts. 

#114 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

That could be why a lot of people breakout on DIM. It might only work for very specific cases. What about a standard cleanse or the lemon water liver detox?

Also, I only got tingling with NPC when I first started (first week). Now I don't notice anything.

Yeah, self-supplementing is so tricky, but then again all prescription pills come in standardized doses so it feels like there's always going to be trial and error. I tried the lemon water detox, but whenever I have lemonade or something bitter, I break out with red spots in the same places. Is there another detox that doesn't involve lemons? And actually, yesterday I indulged in some junk food, and today I woke up with a painful swollen cyst near my mouth...the allergic cysts I get always appear in spots where I never get hormonal acne, and they look more red and swollen. It's so weird, but at least it helps me separate the allergic breakouts from the hormonal. I guess I'll have to figure out how to fix my digestive issues because it seems that even when I get my hormones under control, I'm still not immune to food-related breakouts. Ugh. I'll need to get back on my gut-healing diet and maybe take some liver detoxifiers. I had luck with l-glutathione in the past, that might be good to try again.

It's strange how tingling is a side effect of NPC. Mine went on for a few weeks, that's why I called the company to ask them if this is a side effect. They told me that since it was going on for weeks, I should stop using the cream. The tingling and numbness did lessen after I stopped, but I was still getting it regularly. I eventually found out that the numbness was probably caused by something else, so maybe it was a coincidence, but the numbing/tingling is listed as a possible side effect of NPC. I'm glad you are not having any issues now with the cream. Keep us updated! 

#115 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hey WishClean,
Unfortunately I don't know of any other simple detoxes besides the lemon water one. You could check at your local health food store.
I'm sorry to hear you woke up with a new breakout! Since it's food allergy related, do you think an antihistamine might help? I know how you feel after slipping up and having junk food, I went to a friend's for dinner last night and had ice cream and cider (sugar overload). Not great for PCOS, but today is a new day and we can try and eat detoxifying foods like: ginger, garlic, cabbage, and berries.
If you want to try the NPC again but are concerned about the tingling, perhaps start by using it only every second day and don't apply it to your chest or vagina; instead try your legs and arms.
I'll make an updated post on Monday for my experience on NPC this week. :)

Yeah, self-supplementing is so tricky, but then again all prescription pills come in standardized doses so it feels like there's always going to be trial and error. I tried the lemon water detox, but whenever I have lemonade or something bitter, I break out with red spots in the same places. Is there another detox that doesn't involve lemons? And actually, yesterday I indulged in some junk food, and today I woke up with a painful swollen cyst near my mouth...the allergic cysts I get always appear in spots where I never get hormonal acne, and they look more red and swollen. It's so weird, but at least it helps me separate the allergic breakouts from the hormonal. I guess I'll have to figure out how to fix my digestive issues because it seems that even when I get my hormones under control, I'm still not immune to food-related breakouts. Ugh. I'll need to get back on my gut-healing diet and maybe take some liver detoxifiers. I had luck with l-glutathione in the past, that might be good to try again.

It's strange how tingling is a side effect of NPC. Mine went on for a few weeks, that's why I called the company to ask them if this is a side effect. They told me that since it was going on for weeks, I should stop using the cream. The tingling and numbness did lessen after I stopped, but I was still getting it regularly. I eventually found out that the numbness was probably caused by something else, so maybe it was a coincidence, but the numbing/tingling is listed as a possible side effect of NPC. I'm glad you are not having any issues now with the cream. Keep us updated! 

#116 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

WishClean, have you looked into stomach acid levels and acne? Because something bitter breaks you out.

Bitter things stimulate the vagus nerve which stimulate gastric acid secretion...

#117 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

thanks brenmc! I take vitamin C, which works as a natural antihistamine. Drugstore antihistamines wipe me out. I also use allerase sometimes, which helps. But the key is not to raise my histamines in the first place, which is tough! A few weeks ago they were mowing the grass outside my apartment, and I walked by and my arms immediately filled up with little red spots and my nose started running. But at least the spots on my arms fade within 24 hours, unlike the ones on my face. 

I'm thinking of supplementing with fiber to improve my digestion. 

Unfortunately, when I tried applying NPC to my vagina it felt itchy and numb. But based on the research I did, Dr. Lee recommended vaginal application as one of the best areas in order to avoid dermal fatigue. Based on what I read, the NPC stops working for some women after a few years if they don't rotate the application to different areas of their body. But the vagina is one area where dermal fatigue can't happen. So yeah, if I were to try NPC again I will switch brands...maybe the brand was the problem. 

WishClean, have you looked into stomach acid levels and acne? Because something bitter breaks you out.

Bitter things stimulate the vagus nerve which stimulate gastric acid secretion...

Hey! I was just responding to brenmc when I read your post. I'm sure my stomach acid is high, but how do I check that? Will PH strips help at all? I was thinking of HCI supplements, but I'm not sure how safe that is....and maybe fiber too? I haven't had a bad reaction in months, but I did go all out with the junk food for 2 days. Now one cyst I got on my face is so swollen that it looks as if someone punched me! It's better than yesterday though bc I've been slathering aloe on it. I think the culprit was too much sugar, but I did also have keylime pie which might be the bitter thing that broke me out. 

What do you think of adding a fiber supplement? Since I'm avoiding legumes and beans and gluten, there doesn't seem to be much else. I'll try the berries like brenmc suggested, but my guess is that I need a lot of fiber to balance things out. Btw, I have very regular bowel movements, would fiber still help me?

I'm out of my digestive enzymes too - usually they help minimize reactions. 

#118 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

WishClean, usually it is LOW stomach acid that is a culprit in acne (and many other health problems). I should know, I was wrongly diagnosed for high stomach acid when it was actually low for a number of years...the antacids and proton pump inhibitors that were prescribed wreaked havoc on my health. It took me about a year on HCl + Pepsin + Digestive Enzymes to get rid of my IBS symptoms. 

I wasn't tested before the antacid prescriptions, which I should have been because high and low stomach acid often have the same symptoms.

3 tests for stomach acid

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of hypochloridia (low stomach acid), because getting the acid to the correct levels (such as when you eat something bitter) can trigger a purging reaction fairly quickly in the skin. 

Edited by Green Gables, 26 October 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#119 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

WishClean, usually it is LOW stomach acid that is a culprit in acne (and many other health problems). I should know, I was wrongly diagnosed for high stomach acid when it was actually low for a number of years...the antacids and proton pump inhibitors that were prescribed wreaked havoc on my health. It took me about a year on HCl + Pepsin + Digestive Enzymes to get rid of my IBS symptoms. 

I wasn't tested before the antacid prescriptions, which I should have been because high and low stomach acid often have the same symptoms.

3 tests for stomach acid

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of hypochloridia (low stomach acid), because getting the acid to the correct levels (such as when you eat something bitter) can trigger a purging reaction fairly quickly in the skin. 

Ahh I see. It makes sense. So far I only tried digestive enzymes,probiotics and the leaky gut/low histamine diet, which were helpful, but as soon as I get off track the results are not lasting. I recently read though that probiotics (lactobacillus in particular) can actually do harm to people with low immune systems. Do you think I should lay off the probiotics? The low stomach acid symptoms seem to coincide with leaky gut symptoms too, that's why I found the leaky gut diet helpful. But to fix the gut, all sources recommend probiotics. hmmm

How did you take HCI and pepsin? Did you use any particular brands? The site you linked to recommends Thorne Research. And did it help with your acne? 

Edited by WishClean, 26 October 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#120 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

3 tests for stomach acid

Ahh I see. It makes sense. So far I only tried digestive enzymes,probiotics and the leaky gut/low histamine diet, which were helpful, but as soon as I get off track the results are not lasting. I recently read though that probiotics (lactobacillus in particular) can actually do harm to people with low immune systems. Do you think I should lay off the probiotics? The low stomach acid symptoms seem to coincide with leaky gut symptoms too, that's why I found the leaky gut diet helpful. But to fix the gut, all sources recommend probiotics. hmmm

How did you take HCI and pepsin? Did you use any particular brands? The site you linked to recommends Thorne Research. And did it help with your acne? 

I haven't figured out a probiotic regimen that really works for me yet. I'm sure I need probiotics because of the extensive time I've spent on antibiotics...but so far it hasn't worked out, I feel worse on them.

Many years ago, when I was going through this whole IBS debacle, I was almost completely clear on HCL + Pepsin + Digestive Enzymes. The only dietary change I had made at that point was no dairy and no sugar. I wasn't on that stuff for acne, I was on it to clear up my IBS, but I noticed it was making positive changes in my skin. This was before I took alternative treatments for acne seriously. I was just waiting to get health insurance again so I could go on Accutane. Even though I was clearing up, I felt that it would come back like it always had, and just wanted that "magic bullet" that Accutane promised. 

Well, eventually I got health insurance again, and went to my dermatologist for an Accutane prescription. However because I was so clear, he wouldn't give it to me, and put me on a stronger retinoid and Ortho Tri Cyclen. I broke out pretty bad and spiraled downward. Since my IBS was gone, I soon stopped taking the HCL + Pepsin + Enzymes, and didn't think much about the connection between them and my acne until later. 

I used a tablet that combines HCL, Pepsin, and various enzymes. You do need the pepsin. HCL without the pepsin is not nearly as effective. I think the enzymes are slightly less important, since you are supposed to generate those from your pancreas when the gastric acid is secreted, but some people don't have enough of those either. 

I don't use these things currently, but if my IBS symptoms flared up I would know where to turn.

As for dosage, I did the "acid test", which is on that page I linked you to in the previous post. The one where you take increasing amounts of capsules until you feel a warming in your stomach. I never felt a warming, but I did find a dosage that gave me heartburn, so I went down from that. Over time, I would get heartburn again, and I would lower it again. 

P.S. Inositol slightly increases stomach acid production. Thought you might find that interesting. 

Edited by Green Gables, 26 October 2013 - 04:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users