Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

221 replies to this topic

#41 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks hearts! It's good to know different options of where to apply it because I'm probably going to try and start with 1/2tsp, 1/4 morning and 1/4 night, because my acne and anxiety are particularly bad right now. I hope it works as quickly as possible for me! I'm going to stay on the spiro for now (even tho it's not working) because I hope they'll work together to heal my skin.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that if you used a higher dose, your acne may have cleared faster? Do you apply it once a day or twice? Where do you apply yours? Also, you take it everyday and still get your period, right? Thanks hearts!!!

I honestly have no idea if I would have cleared faster. There is a possibility, but I think that hormones just take a while to adjust regardless.

I only apply once a day, before bed. I really want to get in the habit of using some in the morning too. This is because I have read that your levels drop again after 11-12 hours. For me the once a day has worked fine, though. I apply it anywhere... face, neck, chest, arms, stomach, legs, feet, labia, and vaginally. For me it hasn't mattered where I apply it, but if you read back in this thread some suggest using it on thinner-skinned (non fatty) areas.
Yes, I take it every day, no breaks. I found that taking even a week off would bring back some anxiety, etc. When I would take a break from progesterone my period was still irregular, which I tried for 4ish months, I think. After using it every day my cycle is now normal, 28 days. My period is very light (I can usually get by with pantyliners or light tampons and it's only 3 or 4 days) but it always has been, even before spiro or BCP.

Anyhow, this is my second cycle trying the cream, I use it on days 14--28 of my cycle. First I did it on days 12-26, but my period was then five days late which is quite unusual for me. I thought I would try days 14-28 and see if that still affects my cycle. One full pump of this cream contains 20mg of progesterone, and I use around a half each day. I can't remember how I ended up thinking 10mg would be ideal, but it was something based on Ray Peat's articles on progesterone. If I remember correctly, progesterone levels are usually around 20mg/day during the luteal phase. I may try raising the amount later, but now I'm quite happy with just boosting my own progesterone levels with 10mg. It's too early to tell if it affects my skin, but I think it will help me dealing with stress which would be a very good thing regardless of skin effects.

I'm glad to hear it! I feel the same way... even if it didn't clear my skin, I would continue using it for all of the other benefits. It has helped me so much with stress and anxiety. Good luck with it, and keep us posted! (:

#42 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hey hearts, does progesterone cream lower androgens? Does it regulate insulin? You're so informed about progesterone, so I thought I'd ask. Sorry if this was already mentioned in an old post. :)

Progesterone and DIM are two very different things. Supplementing one or the other could give you very different results.... I found that using both was the perfect solution for me. The reason being is that even though my progesterone/estrogen levels were more balanced after using the cream for awhile, my androgen levels were still a little high.

• Progesterone is a regulatory hormone to many other hormones in the body. It also inhibits 5 alpha reductase activity (testosterone converting to DHT.) Please note that synthetic "progestin" and progesterone are not the same thing. Neither is yam extract.
  • DIM further balances estrogen levels and also acts as a powerful natural anti-androgen (the anti-androgen part is similar to how spiro works.)
It's hard to say what dose of progesterone would work for any individual case. After deciding a tiny amount was not enough for me, I started using the recommended dose in most pamphlets (40mg) and I started seeing better results. Again, this article was handy because it talks about xeno-estrogens in the environment that can lower your progesterone... you can also google more about it. When I'm around more of these or more stress, etc. I tend to use more. From my experience, this has only been more beneficial. One other thing I forgot to mention: I use it daily instead of only days 12-28 of the cycle. I have had much better results than when taking a break every month. Hope this helps. (:

Edited by brenmc, 28 September 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#43 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

*Bump...Anyone know?

Edited by brenmc, 01 October 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#44 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Sorry for my delayed response, brenmc!

Progesterone can inhibit 5 alpha-reductase which converts androgens like testosterone into DHT.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1828548

Skin 5 alpha-reductase activity is the major factor influencing the manifestation of androgen excess.

We conclude that progesterone and the 19-nor-derivatives inhibit 5 alpha-reductase activity at high doses [...]

Here is a study suggesting it does have a local antiandrogenic effect.

And here is a study on topically applied progesterone on sebum excretion rate. In women a signiticant reduction was found. It said that at the end of month two was when it had maximum effect, and diminished some at month 3... I'm not sure why this was the case in this study, but in my experience there has been no decrease in effectiveness as time goes on. Month 3 is when I really started seeing results.

Vitamin D helps [2] regulate insulin/blood sugar, and coincidentally supports progesterone. I have anecdotal evidence from others that progesterone can help with blood sugar, but I haven't found any studies supporting this yet.

Edited by hearts, 02 October 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#45 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

No worries! Thanks for replying! I finally am able to start progesterone cream. I'll keep you posted. I was asking about its' impact on androgens because I definitely think that's my main issue.

Sorry for my delayed response, brenmc!

Progesterone can inhibit 5 alpha-reductase which converts androgens like testosterone into DHT.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1828548

Skin 5 alpha-reductase activity is the major factor influencing the manifestation of androgen excess.

>

We conclude that progesterone and the 19-nor-derivatives inhibit 5 alpha-reductase activity at high doses [...]

Here is a study suggesting it does have a local antiandrogenic effect.

And here is a study on topically applied progesterone on sebum excretion rate. In women a signiticant reduction was found. It said that at the end of month two was when it had maximum effect, and diminished some at month 3... I'm not sure why this was the case in this study, but in my experience there has been no decrease in effectiveness as time goes on. Month 3 is when I really started seeing results.

Vitamin D helps [2] regulate insulin/blood sugar, and coincidentally supports progesterone. I have anecdotal evidence from others that progesterone can help with blood sugar, but I haven't found any studies supporting this yet.

#46 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Some people theorize that the effects only diminish if you apply to fatty areas instead of venous ones, because of progesterone overload in the fat tissue, like we've discussed before.

#47 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Are there any risks to having high progesterone? From my understanding, there aren't...but I'm not sure if that's because high progesterone levels are hard to achieve or because high progesterone is safer to have than high estrogen or androgens.

#48 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

High progesterone can increase free active cortisol. Side effects of excess cortisol:

- Sugar cravings

- Midsection weight gain

- Reduced muscle mass

- Bone thinning

- Insomnia

- PMS

Also high progesterone encourages yeast overgrowth. Probably the most common side effect, this is why women who are pregnant or on high progestin birth control have much higher rate of yeast infections.

But yes, it is pretty hard to be too high in progesterone just "in the wild." You have to either be taking high progestin birth control or progesterone cream.

#49 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Anyhow, this is my second cycle trying the cream, I use it on days 14--28 of my cycle. First I did it on days 12-26, but my period was then five days late which is quite unusual for me. I thought I would try days 14-28 and see if that still affects my cycle. One full pump of this cream contains 20mg of progesterone, and I use around a half each day. I can't remember how I ended up thinking 10mg would be ideal, but it was something based on Ray Peat's articles on progesterone. If I remember correctly, progesterone levels are usually around 20mg/day during the luteal phase. I may try raising the amount later, but now I'm quite happy with just boosting my own progesterone levels with 10mg. It's too early to tell if it affects my skin, but I think it will help me dealing with stress which would be a very good thing regardless of skin effects.

I'm glad to hear it! I feel the same way... even if it didn't clear my skin, I would continue using it for all of the other benefits. It has helped me so much with stress and anxiety. Good luck with it, and keep us posted! (:

Thanks, I will keep you updated. :) My skin has been getting clearer since I started, but last week my GP convinced me to try topical clindamycin which has greatly reduced my inflamed acne in a short time, so it will be hard to estimate the effects of the progesterone cream, unfortunately. It has seemed to help with my stress levels and sleep, however. I'm very much hoping it would improve my non-inflamed acne (which is my biggest issue) and reduce sebum levels, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Also high progesterone encourages yeast overgrowth. Probably the most common side effect, this is why women who are pregnant or on high progestin birth control have much higher rate of yeast infections.

Yeast infections might also be more common in pregnant women because of immunosuppression during pregnancy, which means they are more susceptible to any kind of infection. But I don't mean to say that progesterone wouldn't have an effect as well though. That's interesting! I just glanced at a review on immune system fluctuations during the menstrual cycle, which seemed to suggest that during the luteal phase or high progesterone, the immune system would be Th2-predominant (which is related to allergies etc), as opposed to Th1 (cell-mediated immunity/inflammation), which might explain it.

I just had a quick look on the effects of progesterone. To my dismay, I found very little on systemic effects, but at least in the reproductive system they do work as antiestrogens:

As shown earlier, progesterone production rises before follicular rupture. After ovulation, progesterone levels rise sharply and peak in 7 days. Progesterone acts locally to inhibit follicular growth during the luteal phase. In addition, progesterone may act centrally by inhibiting gonadotropin secretion. Progestins are also antiestrogens. As a result, progestins acting locally may downregulate ERs and may reduce the effectiveness of estradiol. Therefore, increasing progesterone production may have adverse effects on folliculogenesis.

It seemed (based on Wikipedia and its sources :$) that high progesterone would make one more susceptible to diabetes and high glucose levels (e.g. gestational diabetes), at least based on a couple of mouse studies. Estrogen, on the other hand, is "widely accepted" to reduce the risk of diabetes and insulin resistance. So it may not be so good for glucose tolerance, I don't know. I definitely need to read more about progesterone.

#50 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

High progesterone can increase free active cortisol. Side effects of excess cortisol:

- Sugar cravings

- Midsection weight gain

- Reduced muscle mass

- Bone thinning

- Insomnia

- PMS

But yes, it is pretty hard to be too high in progesterone just "in the wild." You have to either be taking high progestin birth control or progesterone cream.

Hmm. Those also sound like estrogen dominance symptoms. I have had improvement in all of those since using progesterone (can't tell on bones, though.) This may be coincidental... I used to get yeast infections all of the time, but haven't had a single one since starting progesterone over a year ago.

I found the site that you quoted that from, but I didn't see any evidence backing it up. I'm not trying to argue, but I just have never heard of anyone experiencing those symptoms that aren't in that estrogen receptor wake-up phase. Here's a study on cortisol levels when supplementing with just estrogen, estrogen + progestin (not natural progesterone), and placebo. The progestin seemed to moderate cortisol levels if anything.

In this study, it states:

In all four studies, salivary PROG had a significant positive correlation with CORT at almost all time points in men, and at no time points in women.

------------------------------------------------------

All of that aside, I want to say something that might clear up some confusion for some people. With hormones, it's not all about "good" and "bad". Estrogen, testosterone, along with other hormones, are not bad. You aren't trying to rid yourself of certain hormones. It's about the balance between them all, and the ratios between certain hormones. For me, too much estrogen in ratio to progesterone caused an imbalance, which lead to problem symptoms. When I fixed the imbalance, it resolved those symptoms. For those getting hormonal panels done, that's great... it's good to stay informed about your own body. But please remember that it's not just about high or low levels, but also about the balance of all hormones.

Edited by hearts, 03 October 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#51 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Progesterone is a precursor to:

- Estrogen

- Testosterone

- Cortisol

- Aldosterone

This is important. You cannot make cortisol without progesterone.

As progesterone is a precursor, it can morph into all sorts of other substances.

The body can actually favor production of one substance over another. Generally during long-term stress, the body favors cortisol production because cortisol is so important to basic processes in the body.

So you have a normal level of progesterone. You're undergoing long-term stress (or at least your body thinks you are stressed.)

Survival mode pushes you to favor cortisol production. Your progesterone is actually used to produce more cortisol, and your progesterone levels drop.

Now you have low progesterone opposing estrogen. Now you have "estrogen dominance." So you add more progesterone, to correct your "deficiency."

Your body is still stressed. Just how the body will favor fat over muscle, the body will favor cortisol over almost anything else. So you add in progesterone, and all it does it convert this extra progesterone into cortisol, raising your cortisol even higher. 

Generally problems occur when progesterone is low, yes. But it iS possible for progesterone to be too high, and as it is a precursor, all sorts of things can go wrong as if your body is using progesterone as a conversion tool.

Why do naturalists recommend DIM or other estrogen metabolism products in addition to progesterone? Because sometimes your body isn't always using progesterone in exactly the way it should. It can even convert progesterone into more estrogen, if you're in an estrogen-favoring state.

(Really, I'm not arguing with you, and honestly people asking questions on this post should probably ask them on separate posts, as this is your recovery story, not a discussion on progesterone in general. But I do appreciate the discussion, and think the scope should be addressed.)

That said...

In four studies, each with multiple hormone assessments before and after positive emotion-arousing laboratory manipulations, salivary progesterone positively correlated with salivary cortisol in men and women taking hormonal contraceptives but not in freely cycling women. This is consistent with the idea that progesterone in men is largely adrenal in origin, whereas in women its sources are both ovarian and adrenal. In addition, bi-partial correlations revealed that change in cortisol was positively related to change in progesterone levels; this effect was stronger in men than in women. These findings suggest that progesterone is released from the adrenal along with cortisol in humans, due to general adrenal activation and/or possibly as an additional negative feedback mechanism to down-regulate the stress response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16904811

Yes, there does seem to be some variation in women because progesterone is both ovarian and adrenal. It doesn't mention natural progesterone cream, but I would assume that natural progesterone cream would mimic the adrenal effect that hormonal contraceptives do, even if ideally applied since you simply can't replicate the natural ovarian production from the outside. 

Concentrations of progesterone, cortisol, free (unbound) progesterone and cortisol binding capacity (CBG) in blood samples were measured serially from 3 weeks preceding delivery to 5 days post partum. There was no change in total plasma progesterone in the last few weeks of pregnancy or during labour but after delivery the concentration of progesterone decreased significantly. Cortisol concentrations showed no change in the last 3 weeks of pregnancy but increased considerably (by 67%) during labour and remained at this high level until at least 2 h post partum, decreasing thereafter. At 5 days post partum the cortisol concentrations were significantly lower than those found a few weeks before labour. The fraction of free progesterone did not change during labour but there was a significant rise in percentage free progesterone 2 h post partum. This rise in percentage free progesterone coincided with the highest concentration of plasma cortisol and a relatively low plasma progesterone. The fraction of free progesterone decreased 1 day post partum to levels that were similar to or slightly lower than those existing before delivery. There was no change in the concentration of CBG before or during labour or at least until 5 days post partum. These results generally support the suggestion that the rise in cortisol concentration during labour can lead to an increase in the fraction of free progesterone.

http://onlinelibrary...2175.x/abstract

This differentiates between plasma progesterone vs free progesterone, interestingly where plasma was low but free was high. But the rise in free progesterone did correlate with the highest plasma cortisol.

Or at least it proves that we can always find studies to support the other side :)

But I agree, hormones are not all good or bad, and on these forums we rarely discuss rather important details..such as serum hormones vs free hormones etc. We're only skimming the surface with our understanding here. 

The main reason yeast infections occur with increased progesterone is because yeast organisms can METABOLIZE progesterone. As far as I know they cannot metabolize human estrogen or testosterone.  There may be an immunosuppressive effect as well, honestly I haven't looked into that angle.

#52 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Interesting stuff, Green Gables! I do appreciate your research! (: The internet is vast and there are so many studies that I don't come across.

I agree that we are only skimming the surface with hormones on these boards. I am not a scientist by any means — in fact I am in the arts industry, which is nowhere close. However, I know that I was hitting my head against the wall when I went to doctors for 12 years... until I started actually looking into this and researching hormones for myself. It was trial and error but I found something that was a miracle for me, so I do support it.

Nonetheless, I didn't want to make it sound like I think progesterone cream is the answer for everyone and that we should all use it. I just think that it is often put in the corner and not considered as a valid treatment for so many things. It has certainly helped me with so much, so I made this topic here to try to share my experience.

#53 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

I've started progesterone cream and I really hope it works for me :).

#54 FreeOneDay

FreeOneDay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Hearts- so happy to hear about your recovery! I'm going through pretty much the same thing I'm sure I have estrogen dominance so I've been on DIM for just over a week now but I'm breaking out more?! I know you said it can take a while for hormones to balance out but I guess I just need some encouragement and that it needs to get worse before it gets better! I was going to start progesterone cream but the brand I was goin to buy scared me a little coz of some of the reviews on amazon, apparently the emerita brand says may cause cancer on the label!! Do you think DIM alone can do the job of getting my hormones balanced and clearing my skin?

#55 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

The Emerita brand says it may cause cancer on the label because of new regulations in California that require pretty much every product sold on store shelves to say that.

Pretty much EVERYTHING can theoretically cause cancer. It's like saying All breathing humans will die. Yes, eventually, you WILL die and you are a breathing human. 

You can also read "Don't be fooled by the paraben hype" which explains why some groups are going nuts trying to regulate everything out of existence.

#56 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

The kokoro progesterone cream I have also has the cancer warning. Yes, it's because of regulations in California. Supplementing with estrogen is far more risky than supplementing with progesterone. Progestin is also more dangerous than actual progesterone. 

I still don't like the idea of seeing a cancer warning on something I use (although I stopped using it now)...but I doubt it's as severe or likely as the warnings on cigarette packs. eusa_think.gif

#57 FreeOneDay

FreeOneDay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Oh ok thanks for that information! It's eased my mind a little now :)
Wishclean- was there any particular reason you stopped the progesterone cream and did it help clear you? I think I will use a combination of both progesterone cream and Dim..

#58 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Oh ok thanks for that information! It's eased my mind a little now smile.png
Wishclean- was there any particular reason you stopped the progesterone cream and did it help clear you? I think I will use a combination of both progesterone cream and Dim..

I used the cream for about a month and a half, but I stopped because I started getting numbness in the areas I was applying it (hands, feet mostly). It could have been coincidental, since I still get the numbness but not as extreme. But at the time, I panicked because it was happening whenever I applied the cream, even in very small amounts. So I called the company and asked if this is a common side effect, and they recommended I stop using the cream. I was actually surprised they told me to stop using it. I had already reduced it to a very small amount anyway, to see if it was the amount causing the numbness. Anyway, I didn't want to take my chances so I gradually weaned off it. But I still get numbness so I don't think it was the cream that caused it probably... I'm getting checked out for that and I'll update when I know for sure. I wasn't using it long enough to decide if it was helping clear me, but it definitely helped me become more relaxed. Right now I'm using myo-inositol and it's working so far. It's supposed to boost progesterone and acts as an anti-androgen. I'm pleased with the results so far.

The thing with progesterone creams that are not compounded (i.e. fresh and custom-made at a pharmacy) is that you don't know how long they have been sitting on the shelf for, and you don't know if the progesterone gets shuffled during shipping and handling. My doctor told me that sometimes you might get more progesterone, other times less, depending on how it is distributed in the container. I noticed that sometimes I would feel drowsy after applying the cream, while other times I didn't - with the same amount. 

Edited by WishClean, 05 October 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#59 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hearts- so happy to hear about your recovery! I'm going through pretty much the same thing I'm sure I have estrogen dominance so I've been on DIM for just over a week now but I'm breaking out more?! I know you said it can take a while for hormones to balance out but I guess I just need some encouragement and that it needs to get worse before it gets better! I was going to start progesterone cream but the brand I was goin to buy scared me a little coz of some of the reviews on amazon, apparently the emerita brand says may cause cancer on the label!! Do you think DIM alone can do the job of getting my hormones balanced and clearing my skin?

Yeah, unfortunately it does take at least a few months for everything to adjust. I noticed this with DIM especially. I read reviews for DIM on Amazon... some girls were saying it cleared their skin in a matter of weeks. After a month with absolutely no results from DIM I was starting to lose confidence in it. I'm glad I stuck it out though, as it did eventually show great results for me.

There are people who have cleared on DIM alone. I have no experience in taking DIM without progesterone cream so I'm not sure how that would go, though. I guess just try to be patient until you're at at least 3-4 months... I know it's difficult to wait but if it does work it will be worth it. Good luck! I hope it gives you perfectly clear skin. (:

Contrary to what people think, DIM doesn't reduce estrogen — it supports estrogen metabolism. Too much unmetabolized estrogen causes all sorts of negative symptoms. DIM increases "good" estrogen metabolites (2-hydroxy), while simultaneously decreasing the "bad" ones (16-hydroxy) that can potentially cause cancer, etc. It also acts as an antiandrogen.

I agree with Green Gables about the cancer warning on progesterone cream. Those stupid warnings are on so many things. Like I said before, I even have a set of poker chips that had the warning on the box! I would take it with a grain of salt. http://en.wikipedia....)#Warning_label

#60 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

^^ Yep. I read DIM reviews too, and some reviewers claimed that they cleared almost immediately, which is an unrealistic expectation. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's usually a gradual process so you need to give it time. And unfortunately, there is some trial and error. Usually it takes more than 1 supplement if you have a complex hormonal imbalance. So you need something to filter out excess estrogen if you have estrogen dominance, and something to boost progesterone and regulate androgens. I would start with 1 thing, then add another if the first doesn't fully clear you in 3-4 months, like hearts did. If you have taken bcp or other hormonal treatments in the past that helped you, look at the ingredients in those and find the equivalent in hormone creams and supplements. For instance, if you had success with estrogenic & progesterone-based pills, then that's what works for you. If anti-androgens solved your problems, then look into that. But my guess is that, in the long run, women with PCOS and complex hormonal issues need something that's both anti-androgenic, progesterone-boosting, and estrogen regulating. It's hard to get all those elements in a single supplement. 

Also, the liver has to be functioning properly to help balance the hormones. You can achieve that through proper diet, and if you have digestion issues or candida/leaky gut, then you can follow a specific diet & supplement regime for that (e.g. with probiotics, digestive enzymes, etc). There are women who manage to keep their PCOS under control through diet modifications and exercise alone,but that takes patience, discipline, and consistency. 

As for the cancer warning, progestin - which is synthetic progesterone found in some bcp and some compounded creams - is far more dangerous than progesterone. A gynecologist once prescribed me a progestin patch and I only used it for a few days because it made me very depressed and lethargic, so I'm never trying that again. When I bought progesterone cream, I chose to go with yam-derived progesterone without any added soy, but I read that yam-based creams are not easily absorbed and take longer to work. 

Finally, you need to assess other symptoms besides the acne to determine whether it's working for you or not. For instance, if you have depression, insomnia, anxiety, slow metabolism, the cream/supplement might improve those symptoms first before helping your skin. So take into account all your hormonal symptoms and see if they are gradually improving...the skin-clearing might come last. 

Edited by WishClean, 05 October 2013 - 12:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users