Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

215 replies to this topic

#21 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, that was actually one of the studies I read, but the issue with any study is that they don't follow up with patients after more than the 48 weeks of the study (or however long each study lasts), so we have no way of knowing what the long term results are. Plus, they were also taking estrogen with progesterone, so that could alter the results. I think for all of these studies, they need to do a follow up after 1-3 years to show us the long term effects. 

It's interesting that the cream works topically for you. I tried applying it on active acne but it didn't help me much. There are some anti-aging products that contain progesterone, so it can definitely help with skin texture. 

Yes, I think inositol could possibly affect the hormone testing but I'm willing to take that chance, esp. if my testosterone levels decrease by the time I get the test results. For saliva testing, it could take up to a month to collect the samples, and I wasn't willing to put up with flare ups for another month, plus 1-2 weeks until the results come in. So yeah, it could sway the results a bit, but I think I'll still be able to get an indication of my hormonal imbalances because inositol will definitely not correct the issue in such a short time span. 

Actually, on the inositol bottle I use, the only benefits it mentions are cellular function and nervous system. I didn't know that either, but it's certainly a bonus. 

Keep us updated on your progress! I'm glad you found something that works for you, and it gives me hope that we can beat hormonal issues without giving in to standardized treatments. Customizing your treatment is the way to go. But of course, pharmaceutical companies want us to keep buying expensive drugs so we are left to believe that we have no choice but to take those pills. The medical field can be really unethical in that respect. My doctor practices integrative medicine, so she is receptive to supplements and bio-identical treatments. She has put me on a high dose of vitamin D2 because I was deficient, and she is trying to help me find alternative ways to treat PCOS rather than just throwing a bunch of pills at me. But she doesn't know much about inositol, I was the one who told her about it and she did some research and was surprised at the results of the studies. I'll keep you posted....I will make an update in 2 more weeks, then every 2 weeks after that to see how it progresses. So far, I'm surprised it's already reduced my facial fuzz and my numbness, and my dosage is lower than what they used in the studies. 

#22 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the reply hearts! I'm currently on spiro and after years of clear skin, I've started breaking out on my chin again. I got a couple breakouts, so I upped my dose- which may have exacerbated the problem, but regardless, I was having a breakout prior to changing my dose. I'm not sure what to do, but it's really stressful, so I I've been considering adding progesterone cream to hopefully help balancing things out again, but I don't want to risk a bad initial breakout because I'm back in school and don't want to be covered in nodules or cysts.

No problem, it's why I'm still here! (:

Progesterone has only positively affected my period. My cycles have always been irregular, and there were times where I just wouldn't have one for months. Spiro made my periods completely stop as well. After using NPC for only a few weeks, I got a period. After a few months of using it daily, my cycle is now like clockwork. 28 days exactly!

I've heard of people breaking out from DIM but I have also heard many stories of it clearing their skin and getting rid of other estrogen dominance symptoms. However, I wouldn't recommend taking both DIM and spiro at the same time. Spiro had estrogenic affects (gaining weight, etc.) for me as well as anti-androgen.

I really do think progesterone reduces androgens. I especially noticed this when administered locally. When I was still breaking out I would apply it directly to the acne and it would help quite a lot. Perhaps it alone just didn't reduce androgens enough for me, or I wasn't using enough. There is also a chance that if I had less acne or less severe (non-cystic) acne that it would have been enough to clear me on it's own.

#23 bleedingrose

bleedingrose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Curing Skin Disease by Tackling The Root Cause of The Problem Not Masking It, I Want To End Skin Related Suicide.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

People have used Saw Palmetto capsules, or 2-3 cups of Peppermint Tea a day or Lavender oil applied to the body every day as an alternative to drugs such as Spiro to lower or block testosterone. Agnus Castus can also be taken to increase progesterone naturally in the body, if that's working for you. I'm glad you're having success with progesterone cream, just wanted to throw other suggestions your way in case. The low GI diet is great for hormonal balance too.

Edited by bleedingrose, 17 September 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#24 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

@brenmc: I'm so sorry to hear that... I hope that the increased dose of spiro does the trick for you. If it doesn't, I think natural progesterone cream might be one of the safer things to add. It's the only thing I added when tapering off of spiro and it did not make me break out at all, and it never has. I understand not wanting to mess with anything while going to school, etc., however. Try to take care of yourself in all of the stress — stress only further lowers progesterone and upsets hormone balance. Good luck with everything! I hope that whatever you choose to do, it will make you completely clear and happy. (:

Thanks, bleedingrose. I am clear so I don't need to add anything else, but your info could be helpful for others. I drink spearmint tea (not consistently enough, though) which has studies on helping with hirsutism (possible antiandrogen.) But I don't particularly like the taste of peppermint. I considered Agnus Castus (Vitex) before going on progesterone, but I read of many negative side effects being a possibility (with Saw Palmetto too), which just isn't the case for progesterone, at least from my experience and personal research. I would love to learn more about the effects of lavender... it's one of my favorite herbs and I drink loose lavender tea on occasion as well.

#25 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Thanks hearts, it's been awful, definitely thinking about trying progesterone cream if things don't get better really soon!

Do you think increasing my spiro dose could have impacted my progesterone levels?

brenmc: I'm so sorry to hear that... I hope that the increased dose of spiro does the trick for you. If it doesn't, I think natural progesterone cream might be one of the safer things to add. It's the only thing I added when tapering off of spiro and it did not make me break out at all, and it never has. I understand not wanting to mess with anything while going to school, etc., however. Try to take care of yourself in all of the stress — stress only further lowers progesterone and upsets hormone balance. Good luck with everything! I hope that whatever you choose to do, it will make you completely clear and happy. (:

Thanks, bleedingrose. I am clear so I don't need to add anything else, but your info could be helpful for others. I drink spearmint tea (not consistently enough, though) which has studies on helping with hirsutism (possible antiandrogen.) But I don't particularly like the taste of peppermint. I considered Agnus Castus (Vitex) before going on progesterone, but I read of many negative side effects being a possibility (with Saw Palmetto too), which just isn't the case for progesterone, at least from my experience and personal research. I would love to learn more about the effects of lavender... it's one of my favorite herbs and I drink loose lavender tea on occasion as well.[/quote]

#26 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hearts, my skin is still bad, so I'm going to try to order some progesterone cream online (you can't buy it in stores in Canada, at least not in the town I live in). I'm assuming wild yam cream isn't very effective or the right thing? On Amazon I could get Emerita, is that good?
Also, I'm still on spiro and not planning on quitting it at the moment (it may make things worse). It was totally safe to take progesterone with spiro- no breakouts because of the combo? How many days/weeks/months after you started progesterone cream until you stopped getting new cysts?
Thanks!

Hearts, your skin looks gorgeous! So were you using progesterone cream while on spiro? Any bad effects from coming off spiro (major breakout)? Also, how clear did the progesterone make you and how long did it take (before you added DIM)?
I hope you'll continue to post in this forum because your experience is very enlightening! :)

Thanks! (: I didn't have a "major breakout" per say when coming off spiro... it was more like it started creeping back to what it was before taking the drug. I was initially on 100mg of spiro for a year and a half or so which cleared me completely but I couldn't handle the side effects. When lowering to 75mg, some side effects went away but I was only 75% clear, and so on. When I was down to 50mg and 25mg weaning off, I was breaking out pretty bad, similar to the pictures. I started progesterone cream around that time but only tiny, tiny amounts since I was so nervous about taking anything else. It wasn't until I upped the dosage of the cream and stopped messing with spiro that I started to clear up.

As far as I know, there isn't any harm in using NPC while taking spiro. And I imagine taking more while weaning off would actually help, at least it would have in my case. I imagine the same would go for weaning off of any BCP.

It's difficult to remember but I would say NPC cleared my face and chest pretty much completely but I would still get big cysts on my upper back and sometimes a few cysts on my neck. DIM really sealed the deal and cleared the rest up.

ok so I have also  been on spirol it was clearing me up . but the side effects where just 2 much 2 periods a month . mood swings , and vaginal dryness. im allergic to antibiotics and sulfa drugs . yeah just my luck  every time I went to the dermatologist hoping to get clear I ended up with a rash and allergic reactions from medication..
did Accutane also.. after I finished my course my skin became more sensitive . am afraid to take it again . my skin has changed so much after it .
im taking saw palmetto and other supplements to get clear. it has helped.... but  my skin is still breaking out..
where do you buy your products . what store .????.  I know my acne is hormonal.. when I was on spirol I was clearing up so fast on that pill I was so surprised.. two weeks into it  my face was almost cleared.. unfortunately my body didn't like it ..
let me know what store you buy your stuff ..

I know what you mean about spiro side effects. Some would argue and say that I gave up for silly reasons, but I seriously know my body and know that what I was going through was not normal or good.

I get NPC and DIM from various places, just depending on price and how soon I need it. You can probably get it from the same place you buy Saw Palmetto. Most health/natural food stores carry them... Sprouts, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, etc. Or you can search for progesterone cream or DIM on Amazon. Natural progesterone cream is usually cheaper online.

Hearts, your skin looks gorgeous! So were you using progesterone cream while on spiro? Any bad effects from coming off spiro (major breakout)? Also, how clear did the progesterone make you and how long did it take (before you added DIM)?
I hope you'll continue to post in this forum because your experience is very enlightening! :)

Thanks! (: I didn't have a "major breakout" per say when coming off spiro... it was more like it started creeping back to what it was before taking the drug. I was initially on 100mg of spiro for a year and a half or so which cleared me completely but I couldn't handle the side effects. When lowering to 75mg, some side effects went away but I was only 75% clear, and so on. When I was down to 50mg and 25mg weaning off, I was breaking out pretty bad, similar to the pictures. I started progesterone cream around that time but only tiny, tiny amounts since I was so nervous about taking anything else. It wasn't until I upped the dosage of the cream and stopped messing with spiro that I started to clear up.

As far as I know, there isn't any harm in using NPC while taking spiro. And I imagine taking more while weaning off would actually help, at least it would have in my case. I imagine the same would go for weaning off of any BCP.

It's difficult to remember but I would say NPC cleared my face and chest pretty much completely but I would still get big cysts on my upper back and sometimes a few cysts on my neck. DIM really sealed the deal and cleared the rest up.

ok so I have also  been on spirol it was clearing me up . but the side effects where just 2 much 2 periods a month . mood swings , and vaginal dryness. im allergic to antibiotics and sulfa drugs . yeah just my luck  every time I went to the dermatologist hoping to get clear I ended up with a rash and allergic reactions from medication..
did Accutane also.. after I finished my course my skin became more sensitive . am afraid to take it again . my skin has changed so much after it .
im taking saw palmetto and other supplements to get clear. it has helped.... but  my skin is still breaking out..
where do you buy your products . what store .????.  I know my acne is hormonal.. when I was on spirol I was clearing up so fast on that pill I was so surprised.. two weeks into it  my face was almost cleared.. unfortunately my body didn't like it ..
let me know what store you buy your stuff ..

I know what you mean about spiro side effects. Some would argue and say that I gave up for silly reasons, but I seriously know my body and know that what I was going through was not normal or good.

I get NPC and DIM from various places, just depending on price and how soon I need it. You can probably get it from the same place you buy Saw Palmetto. Most health/natural food stores carry them... Sprouts, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, etc. Or you can search for progesterone cream or DIM on Amazon. Natural progesterone cream is usually cheaper online.

#27 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

Do you think increasing my spiro dose could have impacted my progesterone levels?

Spironolactone has indirect estrogenic effects. For me, this was enough to cause an imbalance and unwanted side effects. I'm not aware of spiro actually lowering progesterone levels, however.

Hearts, my skin is still bad, so I'm going to try to order some progesterone cream online (you can't buy it in stores in Canada, at least not in the town I live in). I'm assuming wild yam cream isn't very effective or the right thing? On Amazon I could get Emerita, is that good?
Also, I'm still on spiro and not planning on quitting it at the moment (it may make things worse). It was totally safe to take progesterone with spiro- no breakouts because of the combo? How many days/weeks/months after you started progesterone cream until you stopped getting new cysts?
Thanks!

Yam cream isn't the same thing... it will most likely not affect your hormones in the same way. Emerita is a great brand — it's what I started with. It is paraben-free and they even have a lavender scented version which I loved.

Regarding breaking out from progesterone: all I can tell you is that it never ever made me break out — not even an initial breakout, and not combined with spiro. I've also never heard of anyone breaking out from it, unlike DIM.

You will need to be patient... including getting through the "Estrogen Wake-Up" that I talked about in the end of my initial post. For me the adjustment (moodiness and fatigue) lasted 2 weeks. Then after around 3 months I saw significant improvement in my skin. As far as I know there are no hormonal treatments that work overnight, unfortunately. If you google natural progesterone cream and acne there are testimonials of women clearing sooner, but every hormonal method I've tried takes 3-6 months to see results.

Edited by hearts, 22 September 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#28 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thanks hearts, so if it took three months to see improvement, how do you know you didn't have an IB? Sorry for asking soooo many questions, just want to anticipate what might happen with me, so I feel more encouraged to stick with a new treatment. :)

Spironolactone has indirect estrogenic effects. For me, this was enough to cause an imbalance and unwanted side effects. I'm not aware of spiro actually lowering progesterone levels, however.

Thanks!

Yam cream isn't the same thing... it will most likely not affect your hormones in the same way. Emerita is a great brand — it's what I started with. It is paraben-free and they even have a lavender scented version which I loved.
Regarding breaking out from progesterone: all I can tell you is that it never ever made me break out — not even an initial breakout, and not combined with spiro. I've also never heard of anyone breaking out from it, unlike DIM.

You will need to be patient... including getting through the "Estrogen Wake-Up" that I talked about in the end of my initial post. For me the adjustment (moodiness and fatigue) lasted 2 weeks. Then after around 3 months I saw significant improvement in my skin. As far as I know there are no hormonal treatments that work overnight, unfortunately. If you google natural progesterone cream and acne there are testimonials of women clearing sooner, but every hormonal method I've tried takes 3-6 months to see results.

#29 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Thanks hearts, so if it took three months to see improvement, how do you know you didn't have an IB? Sorry for asking soooo many questions, just want to anticipate what might happen with me, so I feel more encouraged to stick with a new treatment. smile.png

Not a problem at all, I will do everything I can to help! Your questions could also help others who are reading this thread but not posting.

The reason I know that I didn't get an initial breakout is because I had tapered down spiro from 100mg to 50mg and was already breaking out from lowering the dose before I started the cream. When I started progesterone it did not get any worse, just slowly got better — at the beginning of the three months I lowered my spiro dose even more (25mg and then off) and my skin did not get worse. I'm sure it would have if I didn't supplement the cream.

It's not like at the 3 month mark *BAM!* I was more clear... it was gradual but I really started noticing how much it was helping around that point. Hope this helps!

Edited by hearts, 23 September 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#30 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks. This helps, because as I said, if I were to start something that could cause an IB, I'd want to wait until I was out of school this summer. I ordered the cream, I'll be starting when it arrives in two-three weeks. Cross your fingers for me :).

Thanks hearts, so if it took three months to see improvement, how do you know you didn't have an IB? Sorry for asking soooo many questions, just want to anticipate what might happen with me, so I feel more encouraged to stick with a new treatment. :)

Not a problem at all, I will do everything I can to help! Your questions could also help others who are reading this thread but not posting.
The reason I know that I didn't get an initial breakout is because I had tapered down spiro from 100mg to 50mg and was already breaking out from lowering the dose before I started the cream. When I started progesterone it did not get any worse, just slowly got better — at the beginning of the three months I lowered my spiro dose even more (25mg and then off) and my skin did not get worse. I'm sure it would have if I didn't supplement the cream.

It's not like at the 3 month mark *BAM!* I was more clear... it was gradual but I really started noticing how much it was helping around that point. Hope this helps!

#31 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

Has anyone had also good results with progesterone cream?

Regarding Dim, I thought Dim helps with estrogen dominance but my levels of estrogen are so low (<5 menopause) that I think it will not be good for me.

#32 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ladies, I'm a little over a month into using inositol now, and I must say it's made a significant improvement in my hormonal symptoms. At first, I thought it was just me and that I was having a placebo effect or something, but I have been noticing more and more positives. I realized that my issue was not just high androgens, my estrogen gets too high at certain times of the month, and my progesterone is low. Here are the improvements I started seeing, in the order I'm seeing them:

1. Reduction of facial hair (noticed by my esthetician - I thought it was just my idea!)

2. Reduction of numbness in extremities (this was a bonus - inositol can benefit the nervous system)

3. Better sleep, less insomnia (another bonus)

4. Fewer flare ups, pimples taking less time to heal (I noticed this about 3 weeks into it)

5. My blood flow during my period is more normal 

I should add that I'm also into my 2nd month of taking prescription vitamin D2, and I also sometimes take digestive enzymes and vitamin C. 

Anyway, just wanted to mention inositol as another option for you, with NO side effects at the recommended dosage. Do some research on it, most studies were done in Europe (Mediterranean). And speaking from experience, mediterranean women with PCOS have some of the most stubborn and persistent symptoms (like facial hair and acne), so it's very promising that they saw results in the studies between 8 weeks - 6 months. I'm going to start a thread on inositol once I'm 2 months into it to make sure it's still working. There isn't much posted on it on acne.org, but there is a lot of info on pcos forums. I don't want to give anyone false hope, so I'm gonna wait patiently for another month before I can call this my personal savior grinwink.gif

If I keep seeing improvement, I'm going to be SOOO pissed at my younger self for taking whatever crap doctors prescribed without doing my own research first. 

Edited by WishClean, 25 September 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#33 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hey hearts, I'm confused about dose. For the Emerita brand, and with bad acne and still on spiro, how much should I start with? AND how do I measure it out cuz I don't have a way of knowing mg (like how many teaspoons I guess)?

#34 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I am curious about the inositol use. What prompted you to use it for acne? It seems to mostly be used for depression or anxiety.

#35 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm taking inositol (glucosmart) right now and have been for a couple years, I thought it would help my acne and it probably has over the two year period, but I have horrible acne right now. I've been worried spiro loses it's effectiveness but is it possible inositol does?

#36 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Ladies, I'm a little over a month into using inositol now, and I must say it's made a significant improvement in my hormonal symptoms. At first, I thought it was just me and that I was having a placebo effect or something, but I have been noticing more and more positives. I realized that my issue was not just high androgens, my estrogen gets too high at certain times of the month, and my progesterone is low. Here are the improvements I started seeing, in the order I'm seeing them:

1. Reduction of facial hair (noticed by my esthetician - I thought it was just my idea!)

2. Reduction of numbness in extremities (this was a bonus - inositol can benefit the nervous system)

4. Fewer flare ups, pimples taking less time to heal (I noticed this about 3 weeks into it)

I should add that I'm also into my 2nd month of taking prescription vitamin D2, and I also sometimes take digestive enzymes and vitamin C. 

Anyway, just wanted to mention inositol as another option for you, with NO side effects at the recommended dosage. Do some research on it, most studies were done in Europe (Mediterranean). And speaking from experience, mediterranean women with PCOS have some of the most stubborn and persistent symptoms (like facial hair and acne), so it's very promising that they saw results in the studies between 8 weeks - 6 months. I'm going to start a thread on inositol once I'm 2 months into it to make sure it's still working. There isn't much posted on it on acne.org, but there is a lot of info on pcos forums. I don't want to give anyone false hope, so I'm gonna wait patiently for another month before I can call this my personal savior grinwink.gif

If I keep seeing improvement, I'm going to be SOOO pissed at my younger self for taking whatever crap doctors prescribed without doing my own research first. 

Dude! That is so exciting... I am so happy for you! (: Please do update in another month or two. How much are you taking now? Still 1-1.5g? Are you still having bloating or any weight gain?

That is interesting about the mediterranean thing... I didn't know that. I definitely fit into that category.

Inositol really intrigues me. It's something that I would consider trying if I ever decided to stop DIM. I am just wary of adding anything more to my current regimen. And I know what you mean about being pissed at your younger self.... I wish I didn't waste two years on spiro and all of the money on other crap, etc. Oh well, though — at least we're finding what works now! (:

Hey hearts, I'm confused about dose. For the Emerita brand, and with bad acne and still on spiro, how much should I start with? AND how do I measure it out cuz I don't have a way of knowing mg (like how many teaspoons I guess)?

Emerita Progest is 20mg per 1/4 teaspoon. That is the lowest dose I recommend taking. I didn't see much improvement until using at least 40mg (1/2 teaspoon.) You could start at a tiny pea-sized amount for the first couple weeks so that the "estrogen wake-up" isn't as bad... that's what I did, but it was definitely not enough. Now that I think about it, maybe using more would have made those two weeks better.

I have used way more than 40mg though, and not seen anything but good results and relief. When I had my last panic attack when still beginning progesterone (not had one since) I applied about 40mg of cream and it immediately started going away. It can really have a calming effect. Like I said before, I switched to Natpro because it's more cost effective since I like to use more some days.

Edited by hearts, 26 September 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#37 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that if you used a higher dose, your acne may have cleared faster? Do you apply it once a day or twice? Where do you apply yours? Also, you take it everyday and still get your period, right? Thanks hearts!!!

Anyway, just wanted to mention inositol as another option for you, with NO side effects at the recommended dosage. Do some research on it, most studies were done in Europe (Mediterranean). And speaking from experience, mediterranean women with PCOS have some of the most stubborn and persistent symptoms (like facial hair and acne), so it's very promising that they saw results in the studies between 8 weeks - 6 months. I'm going to start a thread on inositol once I'm 2 months into it to make sure it's still working. There isn't much posted on it on acne.org, but there is a lot of info on pcos forums. I don't want to give anyone false hope, so I'm gonna wait patiently for another month before I can call this my personal savior ;D

Dude! That is so exciting... I am so happy for you! (: Please do update in another month or two. How much are you taking now? Still 1-1.5g? Are you still having bloating or any weight gain?

That is interesting about the mediterranean thing... I didn't know that. I definitely fit into that category.
Inositol really intrigues me. It's something that I would consider trying if I ever decided to stop DIM. I am just wary of adding anything more to my current regimen. And I know what you mean about being pissed at your younger self.... I wish I didn't waste two years on spiro and all of the money on other crap, etc. Oh well, though — at least we're finding what works now! (:

Emerita Progest is 20mg per 1/4 teaspoon. That is the lowest dose I recommend taking. I didn't see much improvement until using at least 40mg (1/2 teaspoon.) You could start at a tiny pea-sized amount for the first couple weeks so that the "estrogen wake-up" isn't as bad... that's what I did, but it was definitely not enough. Now that I think about it, maybe using more would have made those two weeks better.

I have used way more than 40mg though, and not seen anything but good results and relief. When I had my last panic attack when still beginning progesterone (not had one since) I applied about 40mg of cream and it immediately started going away. It can really have a calming effect. Like I said before, I switched to Natpro because it's more cost effective since I like to use more some days.

#38 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I'm now using "Natural Progeste Cream" by Metabolic Maintenance, which is the only legit-seeming bio-identhical progesterone cream I could find that ships to Europe. I would've rather had something prescribed which I could get from a local pharmacy, but when I went to a GP to get a referral to a derm to discuss this and other hormonal treatments, she refused to give me one before trying topical clindamycine first. I'm quite impatient at this point, so I just went ahead and ordered progesterone cream online. 

Anyhow, this is my second cycle trying the cream, I use it on days 14--28 of my cycle. First I did it on days 12-26, but my period was then five days late which is quite unusual for me. I thought I would try days 14-28 and see if that still affects my cycle. One full pump of this cream contains 20mg of progesterone, and I use around a half each day. I can't remember how I ended up thinking 10mg would be ideal, but it was something based on Ray Peat's articles on progesterone. If I remember correctly, progesterone levels are usually around 20mg/day during the luteal phase. I may try raising the amount later, but now I'm quite happy with just boosting my own progesterone levels with 10mg. It's too early to tell if it affects my skin, but I think it will help me dealing with stress which would be a very good thing regardless of skin effects.

#39 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that if you used a higher dose, your acne may have cleared faster? Do you apply it once a day or twice? Where do you apply yours? Also, you take it everyday and still get your period, right? Thanks hearts!!!

I honestly have no idea if I would have cleared faster. There is a possibility, but I think that hormones just take a while to adjust regardless.

I only apply once a day, before bed. I really want to get in the habit of using some in the morning too. This is because I have read that your levels drop again after 11-12 hours. For me the once a day has worked fine, though. I apply it anywhere... face, neck, chest, arms, stomach, legs, feet, labia, and vaginally. For me it hasn't mattered where I apply it, but if you read back in this thread some suggest using it on thinner-skinned (non fatty) areas.

Yes, I take it every day, no breaks. I found that taking even a week off would bring back some anxiety, etc. When I would take a break from progesterone my period was still irregular, which I tried for 4ish months, I think. After using it every day my cycle is now normal, 28 days. My period is very light (I can usually get by with pantyliners or light tampons and it's only 3 or 4 days) but it always has been, even before spiro or BCP.

Anyhow, this is my second cycle trying the cream, I use it on days 14--28 of my cycle. First I did it on days 12-26, but my period was then five days late which is quite unusual for me. I thought I would try days 14-28 and see if that still affects my cycle. One full pump of this cream contains 20mg of progesterone, and I use around a half each day. I can't remember how I ended up thinking 10mg would be ideal, but it was something based on Ray Peat's articles on progesterone. If I remember correctly, progesterone levels are usually around 20mg/day during the luteal phase. I may try raising the amount later, but now I'm quite happy with just boosting my own progesterone levels with 10mg. It's too early to tell if it affects my skin, but I think it will help me dealing with stress which would be a very good thing regardless of skin effects.

I'm glad to hear it! I feel the same way... even if it didn't clear my skin, I would continue using it for all of the other benefits. It has helped me so much with stress and anxiety. Good luck with it, and keep us posted! (:

#40 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

I am curious about the inositol use. What prompted you to use it for acne? It seems to mostly be used for depression or anxiety.

Well, I was researching for supplements that work similar to drugs like spironolactone and metformin (the 2 my doctor said might work for me, but I would need to take them both since when I tried antiandrogens separately - saw palmetto & previously androcur - they didn't clear my acne on their own). I really don't want to take either of them, much less both together, so I started doing some research online and stumbled upon chiro-inositol first. I read some studies on its effectiveness in inducing and regulating ovulation, and acting as both an antiandrogen and progesterone booster. Just the multitasker I needed! Then I browsed the soul cysters forums and many were raving about it, but thought it was too expensive. So then I discovered studies that showed that myo-inositol (the powder version you can easily get in stores) worked just as well, if not better, for hirsutism and acne. Most studies were conducted in Europe, and I'm wondering why not many on this site know about inositol since all studies are so promising. I read some old posts on here about people trying it out, but no updates on their progress or anything. But there's tons of posts on the PCOS forums. I'm gonna start a thread next month if I keep seeing progress, and post all my research so far. It seems to be helping in multiple hormonal imbalances, that's what made me try it.... The product reviews on amazon don't even mention acne - the reviewers mention its effectiveness in managing, like you said, anxiety, insomnia etc. On the bottle, it says that it helps with cellular health and neurological processes. No mention of hormones 

I guess inositiol is a bit like Vitamin D, it's kind of a prohormone rather than a vitamin.  https://sites.google...-chiro-inositol

I was considering giving progesterone cream another try, and this time use a different brand, but I decided to go with inositol first because it boost progesterone and regulates androgens & insulin. I read somewhere that it also raises estradiol, but the rise in progesterone counters that and keeps the ratio balanced.

And, on webmd, PCOS is listed as one of the possible uses of inositol, along with insomnia, OCD etc. I was surprised webmd lists PCOS.

Yeah, I'll update for sure. So far, my period this month feels more normal, and now I just need to wait until mid-cycle to see if it does indeed help with ovulation, which is when I get most of my flareups. I'm taking around 1g, split into 2 doses. I take it on an empty stomach, and I noticed that if I exceed 1.5 gs I start feeling a bit out of it. I'm small, and so I think that maybe 1g is enough for now, although that's lower than the  amount they used in clinical studies. I sometimes feel bloated, but I was feeling bloated before starting inositol, and I think it might be the D2 prescription my doc gave me. I did read some complaints online about people gaining weight on inositol, but then others said it helped them lose weight. No idea yet. I have been cheating on my healthy diet a bit more frequently, so that might also be why I feel bloated sometimes. If I do pilates and eat sensibly, I feel thin the next day lol.

You're right in sticking with the combo you have now - why change something that works, right? grinwink.gif  This is just a backup in case you need it in the future to multitask with 1 supplement, and also for anyone else who needs to boost their progesterone & regulate other hormones naturally.

Edited by WishClean, 26 September 2013 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users