Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

216 replies to this topic

#201 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hey WishClean, I didn't know that you started DIM, I guess I've been avoiding this post because it has gotten so long, haha.

I know B vitamins are important for health but I think my skin reacts badly to them. I've tried b5 and a b complex and (it could be a coincidence) I've always had troubled skin during those periods. Inositol is of course the exception, it helped my skin as well as metformin did for one year for two years. Started it again last night at just one 1/4 tsp. I'm hoping the different brand and form will have a better kick start than the glucosmart which seemed to have worn off.

I feel more sure than ever that the glucosmart lost effectiveness because I have my period right now and no new cysts or nodules (first time in months). I think this is because I recently started metformin. Hopefully I'll be able to get on track with inositol and wean off the met in a couple months.

#202 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

My skin always gets worse on b-complexes, and the breakouts are in areas I don't normally break out. I'm guessing due to the high % of B12 and possibly also biotin. The most balanced b-complex I found back when I was still willing to give it a go was solgar's b-complex stress formula with vitamin C....but it still didn't agree with me so I gave up. My skin gets worse on b-complex but my mood gets better...so I guess I had to pick what was more important at the time lol. 

Well, the studies I read that compare inositol and metformin used more than 1 serving of inositol per day (I think around 1,200mg), but I wouldn't go that high if not monitored by a professional. I personally saw results even at a low dose...you just need to take it consistently

Edited by WishClean, 12 February 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#203 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

That's awesome that you're doing better, brenmc! I hope it continues for you. (: So you are taking inositol, metformin, and spiro now? This thread is long... I just don't know a better way than to start a bunch more topics just to keep updating about the same stuff. :/

Yeah, I've heard that it's pretty common to breakout from B complexes. Luckily I am doing fine so far...

I'm happy to hear that your shedding has slowed down too, WishClean! I did have a little shedding in the shower when washing out the dye, but I think that is normal with the chemicals like you said. No increased shedding after, etiher... and when putting on mascara today I noticed my eyelashes are looking particularly long! (:

That's awesome about your skin looking healthier as well! I didn't/don't have any trouble sleeping while taking DIM. Since starting progesterone cream and DIM my sleep has been MUCH better than it used to be... before spiro I had some insomnia and while on spiro it was ten times worse. I haven't noticed a difference with inositol. Are you having trouble sleeping on DIM?

Edited by hearts, 13 February 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#204 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Yes, I'm taking spiro, met, and I just started inositol again yesterday (plan to get a couple months of clear skin under my belt and then wean off met). I also plan to try NAC for overall health as well as PCOS. Since NAC is supposed to be good for liver health, I wonder if it may have IB effects?

Inositol is supposed to help with nervousness, so I wonder why it keeps you up at night WishClean? I also suffer from insomnia and I've found aromatherapy really helps with this (I like amber and lavender oils in a diffuser or incense).

#205 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

It's strange...when I first started inositol I took it before bedtime and had no trouble sleeping, same with DIM last month. But a few weeks into it, I noticed that if I take it later in the evening I can't fall asleep. Maybe it's just coincidence, idk at this point. Inositol does help me relax, though...I was under a lot of stress last month and it kept it at bay thankfully. I mentioned this before, I also take it for numbness from my herniated discs and it works wonders! Now my chiropractor is recommending it to other patients too. So for me it's a multitasker. I prefer to take it in the morning though, on an empty stomach.

I still have the progesterone cream prescription from my doctor, I want to see how things go with DIM and I will keep the cream in mind just in case. I remember sleeping better for the brief time I was using NPC, so I think that progesterone helps with that. 

Btw hearts, did you initially get any spotting when you started DIM? I'm 3 weeks into it, and today I got some spotting (my period isn't due for another week). It's usually a good sign when I spot from an herbal treatment, but it's too early to tell with DIM. 

#206 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Happy Valentines, ladies! (: ♡

I didn't get spotting on DIM but I did on NPC. I eventually regulated and stopped after a few months. Perhaps if I started with DIM first I would have, though... I agree with you that it isn't always a bad thing but is a sign that something is working. In my case I had amenorrhea before NPC so spotting was a really good sign.

#207 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Happy valentine's day to you too...I hope you are doing something more exciting than I am today. :)

The spotting continued today... very little amount, but noticeable still. I wonder if I took more DIM than necessary....a couple of days ago I took 200mg because I didn't open up the capsule to empty a little bit out (I use 100mg capsules and I don't usually take all 100mgs in the capsule). Typically I take around 150mg now with no problems. 

Today I had a facial and my esthetican complimented me on my skin and she asked about DIM...she wants to add an antioxidant to her regimen and I told her she can try DIM because she also gets hormonal acne. She's also taking a b-complex with inositol I believe and her skin has improved a lot. 

Anyway, because my skin was doing so well according to her, she used a face spatula and now I'm covered in scratches. Soooo mad!!! It's like, every time there is progress, something happens to mess it up and this time it's my own fault for not saying anything while my face was being scratched. Oh well, what's another flaw. Sorry for venting!

Btw, do you have any recommendations for hair masks/ topicals to help hair look more healthy? 

#208 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Try Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care. The frizz serum makes my hair so soft and healthy looking.

#209 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Try Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care. The frizz serum makes my hair so soft and healthy looking.

Thanks! I forgot about Giovanni....I used to use the shampoo. I may have a serum somewhere too, I wonder if it's the one you use too. Do you remember what it's called? I stopped using serums frequently because sometimes my scalp itches. But I know that Giovanni products don't usually have all the junk other serums have, so maybe it's worth a try.

#210 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Frizz Be Gone. I highly recommend it. :)

#211 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Frizz Be Gone. I highly recommend it. smile.png

Omg, I just checked which product I have, and it's this one! But I haven't used it in months....I don't remember how effective it was. The bottle is almost full so I need to start using it again. Do you apply it on your roots? Every time I apply a serum on my roots they get greasy, but if I don't, they get frizzy.

#212 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hey WishClean,

That can be an issue with serums. I apply a few pumps to my hands and rub it through wet hair, then blow dry. Then I apply a teeny tiny amount to the flyaways at my part once my hair is dry.
I use John Masters Organics shampoo and conditioner as well (the Honey and Hibiscus line). It doesn't contain any waxes or fillers that create build up on your hair.

#213 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

OMG what is a face spatula?! That sounds like a torture device!!! I hope your skin has recovered, WishClean! 150mg of DIM is a good amount, I took that much and saw quicker results than on 100mg. Now I am only taking 50mg as of the last week or two and my skin is still doing fine. I hope that I can stay on a lower dose with inositol and b complex... maybe I'm just weird but I don't like to take more of something than I have to.

I have no idea about hair products you can buy in the store — I just never buy anything like that, sorry! ): My hair routine is 1. wash with shampoo 2. sometimes condition ends 3. let air dry naturally 4. go about my day! I don't even brush often because my hair is very wavy/curly and pretty coarse.

When I used to read long hair forums, I remember a lot of girls were crazy about using coconut oil. Some use it only on the lower half of their length and leave it in, and some use it on their whole head and then wash it out after a while. You can read more here or a quick search. You don't need very much as a little goes a long way.

Here is another hair mask that I found on pinterest recently. And here are more... I've never tried any of these though. I bet some are better than others! (:

Edited by hearts, 21 February 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#214 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Castor oil is popular as well, especially for hair growth. I've combined it with an egg (the protein is good for your hair) to make a mask before as well.

#215 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thanks ladies! My skin recovered from the scratches from the spatula microderm (as painful as it sounds) within a week. I really think DIM played a part in the speedy recovery since it's an antioxidant. I can see all my red marks and scars now though, but I decided not to do anything, just let them fade on their own for now. I am currently going into my 2nd month of DIM and it agrees with me more than vitex did the 3rd time around. The only concert is that I have been spotting for a few days but  am supposed to get my period soon so maybe that will stop the spotting. I also noticed a reduced libido for the most part, which is great for me because I was sick of feeling like a horny teenager lol! I hope this continues and maybe my hormones will settle down for good. 

As for hair treatments, I will try what you two recommended.  Wow, so many DIY masks to try, thanks for the links! 

brenmc, did you put the whole egg in the mask or just the yolk/white?

Edited by WishClean, 21 February 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#216 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hey hears, I just wanted to see how you are doing on your regimen. How is inositol working for you? 

I am very pleased with DIM & inositol, and I think my hair is also shedding less and looking healthier. The only concern is that every month I get a bit of spotting on DIM, usually during ovulation (I'm into my 3rd month now). Is that normal? I usually take around 150mg, do you think it might be too much? I don't think my skin looks as good on 100mg, maybe I'm not ready to lower the dose yet? Not sure.

#217 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 11:04 AM

Hey hears, I just wanted to see how you are doing on your regimen. How is inositol working for you? 

I am very pleased with DIM & inositol, and I think my hair is also shedding less and looking healthier. The only concern is that every month I get a bit of spotting on DIM, usually during ovulation (I'm into my 3rd month now). Is that normal? I usually take around 150mg, do you think it might be too much? I don't think my skin looks as good on 100mg, maybe I'm not ready to lower the dose yet? Not sure.

Hey WishClean! (: I'm glad to hear you are still doing so well and I'm happy that adding DIM has helped. Spotting is normal when you change up your hormone levels — there is even a chance that you weren't ovulating correctly before and spotting during ovulation is a good thing! You can read more about that here. Maybe after a few more months of consistency the spotting will lessen or go away as it still hasn't been that long. I think 150mg is perfectly fine if it feels good to you. You can always try lowering the dose later on and see how it feels. (:

As for me, I'm still doing great. I think the combo of vitamins (including inositol), minerals (I was deficient in calcium which was clearly evident in the Chvostek sign and also magnesium), and progesterone cream is enough to keep me clear now. My hair is still not shedding and thickening back up! (:

I did stop taking DIM as I felt I was taking too many things... when I would forget several days of an already low dose of DIM my skin didn't breakout like it would before the other vitamins/minerals so I figured I could stop. Perhaps the inositol helps my skin more than I thought initially. Instead of taking DIM I am using NPC daily again... I really like everything about it (I feel amazing when using it) and it keeps me regular, etc. If things ever start getting crazy unbalanced again, I will add DIM back in.

Edited by hearts, Today, 11:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users