Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

221 replies to this topic

#181 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

I take DIM in the morning and before sleep, splitting the dose — I don't think it matters though. I took the recommended dose from the beginning (100mg or two capsules), and saw even faster improvement in my skin when I took 150mg (3 capsules) for a while. Once I was clear I went back down to 50-100mg. I don't see any harm in taking a lower dose to start... it might just take longer to see results. It is a hormonal supplement so it may take a few months (it did for me), even though I read reviews and anecdotes of it working for some much sooner. 

It says on my bottle of DIM to take it with food. I did have some mild stomach cramping the first week of taking it, which I read is normal in a review. It went away for me and the reviewer. I'm not sure why that can happen (veggies = gas?), but someone said taking it with enough food (full meal) helps prevent that. After that first week I haven't had problems either way, food or not.

Good luck with it! (: If it doesn't work for what you want you can always just stop. I hope it helps you though... your melasma / skin clears and food intolerances improve!

Thanks & happy new year! I'm hoping to start low and work up to the dose you recommended smile.png But for now, I can't find DIM where I am in Europe. Last week, I had to take a decongestant & antihistamine due to a bad cold and allergic reactions (my mom practically forced me to take it because I was in bed for days and didn't want to waste my vacation in bed). Anyway, after I got off it, I got some rebound acne, which I should have expected because it always happens after I stop antihistamines/ decongestants. I went to see an herbalist I always see when I'm home to see if he could help me. He said DIM isn't that popular in Europe and couldn't find any, so he put me back on vitex to see if it would help. I was so desperate, I started taking it again at a low dose and within a couple of days my skin is now calm again and I have been able to eat more freely without any major issues. Ugh!!! Not sure if I should switch to DIM when I'm back in the US, or stick with what I know works for me for now (vitex & inositol)? The herbalist recommended I get my prolactin tested in 3 months and then lower vitex and keep taking inositol. He said if I keep taking inositol consistently, it will make it easier to come off vitex this time. eusa_think.gif

EDIT: I forgot to add that, since starting DCI along with regular inositol, my hair seems to be fuller and I noticed new hair growth. I hope vitex doesn't mess up this progress. How is inositol working for you?

Edited by WishClean, 02 January 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#182 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Thanks & happy new year! I'm hoping to start low and work up to the dose you recommended smile.png But for now, I can't find DIM where I am in Europe. Last week, I had to take a decongestant & antihistamine due to a bad cold and allergic reactions (my mom practically forced me to take it because I was in bed for days and didn't want to waste my vacation in bed). Anyway, after I got off it, I got some rebound acne, which I should have expected because it always happens after I stop antihistamines/ decongestants. I went to see an herbalist I always see when I'm home to see if he could help me. He said DIM isn't that popular in Europe and couldn't find any, so he put me back on vitex to see if it would help. I was so desperate, I started taking it again at a low dose and within a couple of days my skin is now calm again and I have been able to eat more freely without any major issues. Ugh!!! Not sure if I should switch to DIM when I'm back in the US, or stick with what I know works for me for now (vitex & inositol)? The herbalist recommended I get my prolactin tested in 3 months and then lower vitex and keep taking inositol. He said if I keep taking inositol consistently, it will make it easier to come off vitex this time. eusa_think.gif

EDIT: I forgot to add that, since starting DCI along with regular inositol, my hair seems to be fuller and I noticed new hair growth. I hope vitex doesn't mess up this progress. How is inositol working for you?

Happy New Year! (: If vitex works/worked well for you, why did you quit? And why are you considering other things instead? Vitex does affect prolactin and progesterone, so maybe the herbalist does have a good suggestion in getting prolactin tested. DIM probably won't help with that at all.

Inositol/Choline is still going okay, no big changes or anything. It's only been a month, though! (: At month three if I don't experience any benefits, I will double the dose. If that doesn't help hair/nail growth after another few months I will stop taking it. How long have you been taking inositol? DCI is supposedly a "better form" from what I've read on PCOS boards, but it is so expensive!

#183 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

The problem with vitex is that I haven't been able to wean off it without my acne coming back. That's what worries me. Maybe I'll have to stay on a low dose permanently, who knows. I think DIM is safer long term than vitex, and I was told that I shouldn't be on vitex for more than a year. However, my doctor in the US said she doesn't see an issue with being on vitex long term...she was also wondering why I quit if it was working well for me. No doctor could give me an explanation as to why my excess body hair increased while on vitex, and why I was losing hair on my head every time I went off it. The increase in body/ facial hair is what really baffles me, since vitex is supposed to have anti-androgenic properties indirectly. Anyway, the herbalist suggested I stay on vitex until I am not under so much stress, and he said I should just increase inositol when I decide to decrease vitex. I read on PCOS forums posts by many women who take DCI and vitex together, so I guess it might be worth a shot. I'll keep DIM in mind, though, since I'm pretty sure I have estrogen issues on top of androgen problems. 

I only noticed a decrease in facial hair with myo-inositol, not much improvement with the hair on my head. However, I have been on DCI for almost a month now and I'm seeing some promising baby hairs on my head. I am still taking both myo and DCI because myo is what helped me the most with facial hair, but I think DCI helps more with hair growth. Maybe if you increase your inositol dose it might be equivalent to DCI? The company that sells DCI, of course, claims that myo inositol is not as effective as DCI, but I think they are comparable. I'm taking 600mg (1 pill) of DCI, which should be equal to around 1000mg or more of myo-inositol I think. I seem to tolerate DCI better than higher doses of myo, but the studies I read on myo said that women took around 1200mg and sometimes up to 2000-4000mg (2g?).

Happy New Year! (: If vitex works/worked well for you, why did you quit? And why are you considering other things instead? Vitex does affect prolactin and progesterone, so maybe the herbalist does have a good suggestion in getting prolactin tested. DIM probably won't help with that at all.

Inositol/Choline is still going okay, no big changes or anything. It's only been a month, though! (: At month three if I don't experience any benefits, I will double the dose. If that doesn't help hair/nail growth after another few months I will stop taking it. How long have you been taking inositol? DCI is supposedly a "better form" from what I've read on PCOS boards, but it is so expensive!

Edited by WishClean, 03 January 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#184 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

The problem with vitex is that I haven't been able to wean off it without my acne coming back. That's what worries me. Maybe I'll have to stay on a low dose permanently, who knows. I think DIM is safer long term than vitex, and I was told that I shouldn't be on vitex for more than a year. However, my doctor in the US said she doesn't see an issue with being on vitex long term...she was also wondering why I quit if it was working well for me. No doctor could give me an explanation as to why my excess body hair increased while on vitex, and why I was losing hair on my head every time I went off it. The increase in body/ facial hair is what really baffles me, since vitex is supposed to have anti-androgenic properties indirectly. Anyway, the herbalist suggested I stay on vitex until I am not under so much stress, and he said I should just increase inositol when I decide to decrease vitex. I read on PCOS forums posts by many women who take DCI and vitex together, so I guess it might be worth a shot. I'll keep DIM in mind, though, since I'm pretty sure I have estrogen issues on top of androgen problems. 

I only noticed a decrease in facial hair with myo-inositol, not much improvement with the hair on my head. However, I have been on DCI for almost a month now and I'm seeing some promising baby hairs on my head. I am still taking both myo and DCI because myo is what helped me the most with facial hair, but I think DCI helps more with hair growth. Maybe if you increase your inositol dose it might be equivalent to DCI? The company that sells DCI, of course, claims that myo inositol is not as effective as DCI, but I think they are comparable. I'm taking 600mg (1 pill) of DCI, which should be equal to around 1000mg or more of myo-inositol I think. I seem to tolerate DCI better than higher doses of myo, but the studies I read on myo said that women took around 1200mg and sometimes up to 2000-4000mg (2g?).

Oh, okay. I didn't know vitex was only used short term. There was a study where women took it for 9 years straight with no negative effects related to long-term use. Maybe it takes longer to really work permanently in some women? Hopefully combining it with inositol is even more effective.

Thanks for letting me know how myo and DCI compare in dosage. I do think it is helping, even if it is just slowing down shedding. I have a TON of small hairs on my hairline (enough to make bangs) but I don't know if they are growing any more or faster because of I/C. Are you sure it's the DCI that is helping your hair that quickly? Maybe it's taken this long since starting inositol all together to actually see results? How long have you been taking myo? Hair does take a while to grow... Either way it's a good thing, though! (:

Edited by hearts, 04 January 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#185 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Oh wow, where did you find that study on long term use of vitex? I would be interested in reading it and reassuring myself haha. 

Yesterday I noticed a bit more hair shedding in the shower, but maybe I'm paranoid because I was worried about the vitex. 

I've been on myo since end of August/ beginning of september, and DCI for over a month. You're right, maybe it's the myo kicking in for hair growth...I read it is very slow acting when it comes to growing new hair, but I figured if it worked fast for hirsutism and skin, why not hair? :) Maybe adding the DCI gave my body a higher amount of inositol and that's why I noticed more hair growth, who knows. I'm sticking with both for now, although DCI is definitely more pricey :/

Oh, okay. I didn't know vitex was only used short term. There was a study where women took it for 9 years straight with no negative effects related to long-term use. Maybe it takes longer to really work permanently in some women? Hopefully combining it with inositol is even more effective.

Thanks for letting me know how myo and DCI compare in dosage. I do think it is helping, even if it is just slowing down shedding. I have a TON of small hairs on my hairline (enough to make bangs) but I don't know if they are growing any more or faster because of I/C. Are you sure it's the DCI that is helping your hair that quickly? Maybe it's taken this long since starting inositol all together to actually see results? How long have you been taking myo? Hair does take a while to grow... Either way it's a good thing, though! (:

#186 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Oh wow, where did you find that study on long term use of vitex? I would be interested in reading it and reassuring myself haha. 

Yesterday I noticed a bit more hair shedding in the shower, but maybe I'm paranoid because I was worried about the vitex. 

I've been on myo since end of August/ beginning of september, and DCI for over a month. You're right, maybe it's the myo kicking in for hair growth...I read it is very slow acting when it comes to growing new hair, but I figured if it worked fast for hirsutism and skin, why not hair? smile.png Maybe adding the DCI gave my body a higher amount of inositol and that's why I noticed more hair growth, who knows. I'm sticking with both for now, although DCI is definitely more pricey :/

I searched again and can't find a link to the exact study, but here is a reference: Loch, E. Bohnert K.J. Peeters M, et al. “The treatment of menstrual disorders with Vitex agnus-castus tincture.” Der Frauenarzt. 1991. 32(8): pp.867-70. Sorry! 

Here is another one saying 6 years: 

In a 1990 German clinical drug monitoring study of the efficacy and safety of long-term treatment with a chaste tree fruit tincture, 1571 women with menstrual disorders including corpus-luteum insufficiency and PMS were followed for a period of 7 days to six years (average 147.6 days). The dose was 40 drops once a day taken on an empty stomach in the morning with water. In 90 percent of patients, the treatment eliminated or alleviated symptoms of PMS. Results for 465 patients were rated very good, 714 good, 220 satisfactory, 110 unsatisfactory, and in 62 cases no data was available. Adverse reactions were reported for 30 patients (1.9 percent), including 12 cases of nausea, , gastric symptoms and diarrhea, and a single allergic reaction.

Apparently Vitex is an approved treatment of PMS in Germany. Here's a page stating that there have been reports of women taking it up to 16 years with no problems. Here is another saying 9. I have also read about some women taking it for several weeks, and then taking a break (similarly to how progesterone is typically used) and repeating every month that way. I wonder if it works that way because it does affect progesterone. If you wanted to be on the safe side you could try that, but I really doubt there are any serious issues with taking it long term. It's really up to you though... do what makes you feel comfortable. I have no experience with vitex!

Thanks for letting me know how long you've been on inositol, I am hoping to see some results around the 3-4 month mark too! (: It always takes months for me to see results with stuff like this.

#187 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks so much for the links, it does make me feel better. There were some women who reported side effects after long term use, but nothing compared to the side effects from birth control that's for sure. It seems that my allergies have reduced, which is great smile.png It's reassuring to read that in Germany gynecologists use it as a mainstream form of treatment, not an alternative route. Maybe that's why it's more popular in Europe than the US. The place I got my tincture from sells a lot of it, and it's quite pricey but at least it lasts for 3-4 months.

btw, I noticed that most of my hair shedding happens during ovulation...is it the same for you too?

I've been on myo since end of August/ beginning of september, and DCI for over a month. You're right, maybe it's the myo kicking in for hair growth...I read it is very slow acting when it comes to growing new hair, but I figured if it worked fast for hirsutism and skin, why not hair? smile.png Maybe adding the DCI gave my body a higher amount of inositol and that's why I noticed more hair growth, who knows. I'm sticking with both for now, although DCI is definitely more pricey :/

I searched again and can't find a link to the exact study, but here is a reference: Loch, E. Bohnert K.J. Peeters M, et al. “The treatment of menstrual disorders with Vitex agnus-castus tincture.” Der Frauenarzt. 1991. 32(8): pp.867-70. Sorry! 

Here is another one saying 6 years: 

>>In a 1990 German clinical drug monitoring study of the efficacy and safety of long-term treatment with a chaste tree fruit tincture, 1571 women with menstrual disorders including corpus-luteum insufficiency and PMS were followed for a period of 7 days to six years (average 147.6 days). The dose was 40 drops once a day taken on an empty stomach in the morning with water. In 90 percent of patients, the treatment eliminated or alleviated symptoms of PMS. Results for 465 patients were rated very good, 714 good, 220 satisfactory, 110 unsatisfactory, and in 62 cases no data was available. Adverse reactions were reported for 30 patients (1.9 percent), including 12 cases of nausea, , gastric symptoms and diarrhea, and a single allergic reaction.

Apparently Vitex is an approved treatment of PMS in Germany. Here's a page stating that there have been reports of women taking it up to 16 years with no problems. Here is another saying 9. I have also read about some women taking it for several weeks, and then taking a break (similarly to how progesterone is typically used) and repeating every month that way. I wonder if it works that way because it does affect progesterone. If you wanted to be on the safe side you could try that, but I really doubt there are any serious issues with taking it long term. It's really up to you though... do what makes you feel comfortable. I have no experience with vitex!

Thanks for letting me know how long you've been on inositol, I am hoping to see some results around the 3-4 month mark too! (: It always takes months for me to see results with stuff like this.

Edited by WishClean, 06 January 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#188 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Hey hearts...I read the articles on vitex closer, and I didn't realize most studies actually used a decent number of women, that's impressive...one used over 1500 and another nearly 2500 women. One site says this:

"One study noted that Vitex had been taken for 9 years by some participants with no ill-effects, though more commonly it is prescribed for 6 months at a time with some time off in between cycles to ascertain whether the body has re-established a natural rhythm."

This might be why my naturopath advised me not to take it long term? In hopes that my body will balance itself out? But do you think that vitex works that way, or is it kind of like those things where if you stop taking them the acne comes back? In my case, it seems like my body just can't be balanced on its own without some type of supplement to help out with pcos. 

Usually the hope is that with treatments (e.g. NPC) the body eventually learns how to regulate its own hormones (e.g. how to produce more progesterone), but is there actually proof that this happens long term or do we need to be on some type of treatment forever? 

#189 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hey hearts...I read the articles on vitex closer, and I didn't realize most studies actually used a decent number of women, that's impressive...one used over 1500 and another nearly 2500 women. One site says this:

"One study noted that Vitex had been taken for 9 years by some participants with no ill-effects, though more commonly it is prescribed for 6 months at a time with some time off in between cycles to ascertain whether the body has re-established a natural rhythm."

This might be why my naturopath advised me not to take it long term? In hopes that my body will balance itself out? But do you think that vitex works that way, or is it kind of like those things where if you stop taking them the acne comes back? In my case, it seems like my body just can't be balanced on its own without some type of supplement to help out with pcos. 

Usually the hope is that with treatments (e.g. NPC) the body eventually learns how to regulate its own hormones (e.g. how to produce more progesterone), but is there actually proof that this happens long term or do we need to be on some type of treatment forever? 

Yeah, I had no idea how popular Vitex is in Europe until I started looking into it for you! That's good that there are some solid studies out there for it. There are a lot of studies for NPC but minimal on DIM.

From that quote, it seems that there is a possibility it could "train" your body to act more balanced. That is hopeful, but I imagine it isn't the case for every single person which is why some women stay on it for longer. If it works for you, my opinion is to use it for a good while (6 months or so) and then take a small break to see how you react. I used progesterone for over a year before taking a break/significantly lowering the dose and so far so good. Vitex helps boost progesterone, right? So it could be similar, maybe? I still have to take DIM for now, though.

At least there is some evidence that long term use is pretty much safe... If you had to take it indefinitely it wouldn't be the worst thing. You could take breaks if it made you feel better about it. I feel the same way, without some kind of mild hormonal therapy I seem to just break out again. I'm just trying to stay positive about it — at least there are options and we don't just have to put up with acne forever! (:

I am really hoping that if the day comes when I get pregnant, the pregnancy will fix any remaining hormonal issues for good! LOL (;

Edited by hearts, 10 January 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#190 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, I had no idea how popular Vitex is in Europe until I started looking into it for you! That's good that there are some solid studies out there for it. There are a lot of studies for NPC but minimal on DIM.

From that quote, it seems that there is a possibility it could "train" your body to act more balanced. That is hopeful, but I imagine it isn't the case for every single person which is why some women stay on it for longer. If it works for you, my opinion is to use it for a good while (6 months or so) and then take a small break to see how you react. I used progesterone for over a year before taking a break/significantly lowering the dose and so far so good. Vitex helps boost progesterone, right? So it could be similar, maybe? I still have to take DIM for now, though.

At least there is some evidence that long term use is pretty much safe... If you had to take it indefinitely it wouldn't be the worst thing. You could take breaks if it made you feel better about it. I feel the same way, without some kind of mild hormonal therapy I seem to just break out again. I'm just trying to stay positive about it — at least there are options and we don't just have to put up with acne forever! (:

I am really hoping that if the day comes when I get pregnant, the pregnancy will fix any remaining hormonal issues for good! LOL (;

Yeah, vitex is pretty popular in Europe. DIM is not popular in Europe unfortunately - I wish the herbalist I went to knew about its benefits so he could tell me if it's comparable to vitex.  It seems that DIM and vitex are herbs where your body either loves it or hates it. I read a lot of polarized reviews on both. My body hates it when I go off vitex, so maybe this time I won't even take a break. The acne returns about 1-3 months after stopping it, kind of like with birth control and other treatments. I am planning on decreasing the dose when I notice my melasma and allergies improving more, though. Also hoping to get rid of the breakouts I get during ovulation, which are now small and heal quickly but sometimes I still can't escape them completely. Inositol & vitex seems to be a good combo so far. 

Like you, I feel much more comfortable taking these things long term than some drug. 

Oh pregnancy is supposed to help hormones a lot, but I'm worried because for some women it makes their skin worse, and for others it only temporarily clears their skin. But my aunt has PCOS and she had adult acne, and she told me that after her first pregnancy (she has 3 kids now) her acne permanently disappeared. So there's hope for us yet :) I just need to find a babydaddy and a babysitter now lol

#191 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hey! Sorry for posting too much on here. I just wanted to say that I started DIM a few days ago. I bought Olympian Labs DIM a while ago but was afraid to take any new supplements. I thought I might as well try it since I can't return it anymore and because I need help with estrogens. So far I'm only taking 50-75mg a day...is it too low to notice a difference? 

#192 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hey! Sorry for posting too much on here. I just wanted to say that I started DIM a few days ago. I bought Olympian Labs DIM a while ago but was afraid to take any new supplements. I thought I might as well try it since I can't return it anymore and because I need help with estrogens. So far I'm only taking 50-75mg a day...is it too low to notice a difference? 

You shouldn't be sorry at all! Your insight is awesome! (: I don't know about that brand but that dose sounds pretty good to start at. I didn't have an initial breakout but it did take a couple months to see ANY improvement from DIM for me. I still had cystic acne then, though. Good luck with it! I really hope it works for what you want. I wonder how it will work alongside vitex!

#193 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

You shouldn't be sorry at all! Your insight is awesome! (: I don't know about that brand but that dose sounds pretty good to start at. I didn't have an initial breakout but it did take a couple months to see ANY improvement from DIM for me. I still had cystic acne then, though. Good luck with it! I really hope it works for what you want. I wonder how it will work alongside vitex!

Well,my love-hate relationship with vitex continues. The first 2 weeks I was taking it, my skin felt more radiant, no new breakouts, reduced allergies, and my melasma seems to have faded a bit....I had some stomach upset but that's normal at first. If I weren't on a tight budget this month I would get more probiotics to take with it to help with the stomach issues, but they went away by week 3. Week 3, I got a kind of reaction (small red bumps and some little white ones) on my lower cheeks. It happened the same day I switched foundations though, and the foundation I have to use now (for a beauty review) has freakin' sulfates so that might be why. Otherwise, maybe I should only take vitex during the first half of my cycle like some women do....have you come across anything about rotating vitex? The first time I took it, I was consistent and I noticed continuous improvement, but the second time towards the end of the course I was thinking of rotating it because I had dramatic clearing for half the month, and then some breakouts the other half (can't remember exactly what phases of the cycle). 

The other possibility is that my digestive issues can't tolerate vitex...the tincture is diluted in alcohol, and I never had issues with it before but now I also get IBS sometimes so I'm in worse shape compared to last time I took it (sorry for TMI). 

So basically I stopped vitex for a few days and continued using the foundation to see if the reaction persists. I added the DIM a few days ago....I'm worried about an IB though. If I do get one, does it happen the first few weeks or afterwards? because with vitex, I seem to have gotten the IB 2 weeks into it, while at first I saw a huge improvement in various symptoms. eusa_think.gif

Oh btw, I have been reading about hair loss and I came across this guy's theory (not about DHT and masturbation, the next part about the way we sleep affecting the production of DHT at night) http://www.godlikepr...sage1758872/pg1

Is this crazy or does it make sense? hmm

Edited by WishClean, 22 January 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#194 Smoothie0614

Smoothie0614

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi all, I began taking estroblock for my chronic cystic acne about a week ago and have had no side effects thus far and have had no new acne! I know I need a full 3 months before I can claim it's working but good news so far! :) will keep you all posted.

#195 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Well,my love-hate relationship with vitex continues. The first 2 weeks I was taking it, my skin felt more radiant, no new breakouts, reduced allergies, and my melasma seems to have faded a bit....I had some stomach upset but that's normal at first. If I weren't on a tight budget this month I would get more probiotics to take with it to help with the stomach issues, but they went away by week 3. Week 3, I got a kind of reaction (small red bumps and some little white ones) on my lower cheeks. It happened the same day I switched foundations though, and the foundation I have to use now (for a beauty review) has freakin' sulfates so that might be why. Otherwise, maybe I should only take vitex during the first half of my cycle like some women do....have you come across anything about rotating vitex? The first time I took it, I was consistent and I noticed continuous improvement, but the second time towards the end of the course I was thinking of rotating it because I had dramatic clearing for half the month, and then some breakouts the other half (can't remember exactly what phases of the cycle). 

The other possibility is that my digestive issues can't tolerate vitex...the tincture is diluted in alcohol, and I never had issues with it before but now I also get IBS sometimes so I'm in worse shape compared to last time I took it (sorry for TMI). 

So basically I stopped vitex for a few days and continued using the foundation to see if the reaction persists. I added the DIM a few days ago....I'm worried about an IB though. If I do get one, does it happen the first few weeks or afterwards? because with vitex, I seem to have gotten the IB 2 weeks into it, while at first I saw a huge improvement in various symptoms. eusa_think.gif

Oh btw, I have been reading about hair loss and I came across this guy's theory (not about DHT and masturbation, the next part about the way we sleep affecting the production of DHT at night) http://www.godlikepr...sage1758872/pg1

That's strange... perhaps it is the foundation, though. Either that or maybe DIM, unfortunately. Did stopping vitex help? If not maybe try ditching that foundation for a while if you can!

From what I've read, most women who take vitex either take it consistently every day through their cycle, or take it during either half. I've also read that some take it every day except when actually menstruating. I guess it just depends on the person... most NPC instructions say to use it days 12-28 but that just didn't work for me at first... I needed it daily.

Was the vitex you took before the same "kind"? Tincture diluted in alcohol? That could also be a factor.

I don't know about the initial breakout since I didn't have one, but I am guessing that it happens immediately, not later. The only IB I experienced was on spiro, which did happen right away and lasted for a while. I hope that's not the cause for you. I don't know your skin but my hope is that if they are small bumps it is caused by foundation.

That post about hair loss is interesting. I imagine sleeping habits, etc. have impact on hormones but how much really? I would never give up sex and a comfortable nights' sleep just in hopes of lowering my DHT, lol! (: There is a certain point where it's not worth giving up quality of life, imo. It is interesting, though!

Hi all, I began taking estroblock for my chronic cystic acne about a week ago and have had no side effects thus far and have had no new acne! I know I need a full 3 months before I can claim it's working but good news so far! smile.png will keep you all posted.

That's awesome, Smoothie! (: (: I'm so happy for you! I hope that you continue to see improvement and achieve perfectly clear skin! Please keep us updated! (:

#196 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

That's strange... perhaps it is the foundation, though. Either that or maybe DIM, unfortunately. Did stopping vitex help? If not maybe try ditching that foundation for a while if you can!

From what I've read, most women who take vitex either take it consistently every day through their cycle, or take it during either half. I've also read that some take it every day except when actually menstruating. I guess it just depends on the person... most NPC instructions say to use it days 12-28 but that just didn't work for me at first... I needed it daily.

Was the vitex you took before the same "kind"? Tincture diluted in alcohol? That could also be a factor.

I don't know about the initial breakout since I didn't have one, but I am guessing that it happens immediately, not later. The only IB I experienced was on spiro, which did happen right away and lasted for a while. I hope that's not the cause for you. I don't know your skin but my hope is that if they are small bumps it is caused by foundation.

That post about hair loss is interesting. I imagine sleeping habits, etc. have impact on hormones but how much really? I would never give up sex and a comfortable nights' sleep just in hopes of lowering my DHT, lol! (: There is a certain point where it's not worth giving up quality of life, imo. It is interesting, though!

I am puzzled. I got the exact same vitex from the same place I got it the last 2 rounds. But, towards the end of my last course, I was getting allergies and hives, so maybe I'm now allergic to vitex or my stomach can't handle it anymore (esp. the alcohol) because of my digestive issues? (It can cause gastrointestinal upset in sensitive individuals). Who knows? I stopped taking vitex last week and replaced it with DIM and I have had no new breakouts and the rash is subsiding. I hope DIM can work out for me since vitex isn't agreeing with me. I may return to vitex later on, I don't want to believe I'm growing allergic to the herb that helped me the most in the past...that would be very unlucky! But hey, I also developed an allergy to benzoyl peroxide, so it's likely lol. What I don't get is why my skin looked so good and my food allergies reduced the first 2 weeks on vitex, then it all went downhill. I hope the same won't happen with DIM, but I'm optimistic about it.

How is inositol working for you? My hair shedding is slowly decreasing. I recently added an aloe-based shampoo to my regimen and the shedding has decreased even more, and my hair looks healthier! 

I noticed that DCI helped me more with hair shedding, while myo helps more with skin & excess hair. I ran out of DCI and was too expensive to reorder, so right now I'm back on just myo and so far so good! Hope things are going well for you! :)

#197 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

I am puzzled. I got the exact same vitex from the same place I got it the last 2 rounds. But, towards the end of my last course, I was getting allergies and hives, so maybe I'm now allergic to vitex or my stomach can't handle it anymore (esp. the alcohol) because of my digestive issues? (It can cause gastrointestinal upset in sensitive individuals). Who knows? I stopped taking vitex last week and replaced it with DIM and I have had no new breakouts and the rash is subsiding. I hope DIM can work out for me since vitex isn't agreeing with me. I may return to vitex later on, I don't want to believe I'm growing allergic to the herb that helped me the most in the past...that would be very unlucky! But hey, I also developed an allergy to benzoyl peroxide, so it's likely lol. What I don't get is why my skin looked so good and my food allergies reduced the first 2 weeks on vitex, then it all went downhill. I hope the same won't happen with DIM, but I'm optimistic about it.

How is inositol working for you? My hair shedding is slowly decreasing. I recently added an aloe-based shampoo to my regimen and the shedding has decreased even more, and my hair looks healthier! 

I noticed that DCI helped me more with hair shedding, while myo helps more with skin & excess hair. I ran out of DCI and was too expensive to reorder, so right now I'm back on just myo and so far so good! Hope things are going well for you! smile.png

Oh, I am so glad that stopping the vitex made things clear up again! (: At least you figured out the cause. How is DIM treating you so far?

About inositol... I wish I had any news to report. My shedding has still been much less since taking it, so that alone is worth it! (: Shedding is about normal for me again. As far as new growth, I'm not really sure. I do think it has been working, but it might just be me being optimistic. It's still pretty early to tell, too. I might dye my hair soon (I wanted to anyway) and that will help me see progress better. Other than that I haven't noticed any other effects from inositol/choline yet, even with hair on my face.

Aloe shampoo, huh? I've never seen that, did you get it at a natural/health store? I'm the worst with shampoo, I buy the $2 suave humectant crap. I still have thick, long hair and I use so much, so it's cheapest for me. Probably not the best for my hair, but it's the only thing that doesn't leave it incredibly dry since there is such low humidity here. Plus in the winter the heaters suck any remaining moisture out. I bet an aloe base would be pretty good for moisture, though!

How is using myo-inositol only going?

Edited by hearts, 31 January 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#198 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I noticed that DCI helped me more with hair shedding, while myo helps more with skin & excess hair. I ran out of DCI and was too expensive to reorder, so right now I'm back on just myo and so far so good! Hope things are going well for you! smile.png

Oh, I am so glad that stopping the vitex made things clear up again! (: At least you figured out the cause. How is DIM treating you so far?

About inositol... I wish I had any news to report. My shedding has still been much less since taking it, so that alone is worth it! (: Shedding is about normal for me again. As far as new growth, I'm not really sure. I do think it has been working, but it might just be me being optimistic. It's still pretty early to tell, too. I might dye my hair soon (I wanted to anyway) and that will help me see progress better. Other than that I haven't noticed any other effects from inositol/choline yet, even with hair on my face.

Aloe shampoo, huh? I've never seen that, did you get it at a natural/health store? I'm the worst with shampoo, I buy the $2 suave humectant crap. I still have thick, long hair and I use so much, so it's cheapest for me. Probably not the best for my hair, but it's the only thing that doesn't leave it incredibly dry since there is such low humidity here. Plus in the winter the heaters suck any remaining moisture out. I bet an aloe base would be pretty good for moisture, though!

How is using myo-inositol only going?

Yeah, that breakout was weird...it looked like a reaction of some sort, and I still haven't excluded the foundation but I use that makeup on and off still and haven't had that big of a reaction since stopping vitex.  I wonder why it took 2 weeks for my skin to react, though...I noticed a big improvement the first 2 weeks on vitex, but maybe that was just a coincidence? Idk! But I stopped because I never got an IB the last 2 times I used it....I think my stomach has become more sensitive and doesn't tolerate anything strong like vitex. Hopefully DIM is easier on the digestion. When did you know for sure DIM was working for you? Did you get any side effects from it? I notice that some mornings I have trouble getting out of bed...not sure if it's the DIM or the fact that I have been going to bed late. My appetite has also increased since starting DIM, have you noticed that? I got some cravings for sugary and salty things, and I'm not even PMsing! lol 

I got the aloe shampoo from a health store...it was a bit pricey I must say. But my hair has become MUCH less oily since starting inositol back in september. It used to get greasy every day, and now I can go without washing it for 2-3 days which saves so much time. Maybe that's another reason why the shedding has decreased, less frequent shampooing. 

Just using myo is definitely more economical for  me, and I think my body likes myo more than DCI in the long run. I think the DCI dose was a bit too much for me, so I sometimes had to break open the capsule and empty out some powder which was a waste (although I did pour the powder inside the myo powder, so at least I saved some DCI). But I have to say that DCI seems to have helped more with hair regrowth...it seemed to work faster than myo. 

What brand of inositol are you using? 

#199 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Strange... I am unable to quote posts anymore, even in different browsers. Sorry! >.<

That breakout did sound weird. I'm glad it went away, though! (: It's really weird that you are showing an intolerance to vitex this time around. How is your skin doing now?

How is DIM going? I didn't see any results for a few months — I almost stopped taking it because I didn't think it was going to work. Those are strange side effects if they actually are from the DIM... I've never heard of that happening. Maybe they will go away in time. The only side effect for me was mild stomach discomfort (like gas pains) but that went away in a week or two. I've read that taking DIM with a full meal can prevent that.

I'm using the Twinlab brand, which is only 250mg of each (choline and inositol) in each capsule. I'm guessing that is a pretty low dose still, but I'm happy that only that much has stopped the shedding. I dyed my hair on Friday so it will be interesting to see if I get any new or improved growth.

In other news, I started a B complex two weeks ago. I suspected I had low levels (lately I have been busy and forgetting to eat well, plus I do drink) and I was absolutely right... I have felt amazing since starting it. My mood has improved enough that my boyfriend insists I keep taking it, lol! I have read that B vitamins work together, so taking only one can cause an imbalance. Inositol and Choline are unofficial B vitamins... I wonder if I will get better results from taking the complex as well? (:

#200 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

I can't use quotes either...weird. I'm glad your shedding stopped! I bet if you up your dose a bit you will see more results, but I'm not sure how safe choline is long term...I know that you can go as high as 1,200mg of inositol without any side effects, but I only take about half of that and it's enough. My shedding has slowed down too. I usually shed more the days immediately after I dye my hair, but I think that's because of the chemicals in the hair dye. I hope you keep seeing results smile.png

My skin calmed down after that rough week... I'm 3 weeks into using DIM, and my skin texture looks healthier. I did get a little mid-cycle breakout though, but it wouldn't have been that noticeable if I hadn't picked :/ Did you have trouble sleeping with DIM btw? 

B vitamins improved my mood too when I was taking them! I wish I could keep taking a b-complex but I know I'm not deficient in B12 bc I got tested for it, so to take something with a higher % of B12 than all the other Bs can cause other imbalances in the b-complex. If I could find a b-complex without too much B12 or biotin, then I would take it. I agree that taking all the B vitamins can increase their efficiency,as long as the % are at a good ratio though. But you are probably less sensitive to supplements than me, so if it helps you in other areas as well then keep taking it! Anything that improves your mood is worth taking smile.png

Edited by WishClean, 11 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users