Photo

[Pics!] How I Cleared My Hormonal Acne Naturally

natural progesterone cream dim spironolactone bcp hormonal acne hormones supplements progesterone estrogen dominance spiro

217 replies to this topic

#1 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Before and After Pictures: http://img42.imagesh...2/2172/u4f0.jpg

Consider this my last topic. I'll answer questions here and try to help but I won't post on the rest of this forum anymore. I'll try to keep this simple. I mostly wanted to post my before & afters so someone might take naturally balancing their hormones into consideration instead of the more popular pharmaceutical alternatives.

I am not trying to convince anyone to use this regimen… just trying to inform and help others. The most important thing is to listen to your own body and find out what works for you.

Note: I am nervous about posting pictures online — sorry for the blackouts. These before pictures weren't at my worst. They were taken not long after quitting spiro. My "afters" were on PMS, coincidentally. I do have some scarring… it's been a long road.

My History
26 years old. Had cystic acne since puberty, so bad it was hard to sit back in the desks at school. Accutane did an okay job for a few years but it kept coming back. Once I stopped hormonal birth control for good, I really started to really break out again. My worst areas were on my upper back and jawline/neck. I would get very large boils on my upper back that would turn purple.

Things That I tried but Didn't Work for Me
Antibiotics - multiple kinds, I have been on at least 5 including bactrim
Accutane - cleared me 80-90% for a couple years, but didn't last
Birth Control - I've been on tons of these, and they never cleared my skin but gave me horrible side effects. The only one that kept it mostly at bay was NuvaRing.
Spironolactone - Actually did clear my skin but made me gain weight, made my hair shed like crazy, made my skin look old, among many many other side effects
Topicals - Too many to list. None worked.

Diet - I've tried vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, low sugar, etc. None have helped or hurt my skin.

My Diet

I pretty much eat whatever I want while avoiding almost all processed foods. I cook almost all of my meals. That includes a lot of dairy and all meats, vegetables, fruits, etc. I am an iced-coffee addict but I do drink a lot of green tea and other teas as well. I tend to avoid most gluten since I seem to have an allergy (gives me stomach-aches.) I also drink alcohol quite often. No changes in my diet in the past decade have had a noticable change in my skin. I believe that it's more important for me to not stress out about what I eat or drink and be happy.

What Finally Worked for Me
A combination of Natural Progesterone Cream and DIM.  

Brands I take:
NPC: Natpro, Emerita Progest, and Kokoro is awesome too.The brand shouldn't matter much as long as it's completely natural and paraben free. Make sure you take at least the recommended dose in the pamphlet. Not all brands are equal strength either, so you may have to take more or less depending on the brand. I take around 40mg up to 100mg depending on stress, etc. Stress lowers progesterone. Note: Yes, men can take both supplements. Men create progesterone naturally in their bodies too.

DIM: DIM Plus by Nature's Way. Again, I don't think brand matters that much. I've heard of others clearing from other DIM brands. I take two a day.

Other Supplements

Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Omega Fish Oil, and L-Cysteine. Sometimes Zinc.

These don't seem to affect my skin at all, but I believe they support my main regimen and overall health. Also I have read that both Vitamin D and C help support progesterone along with balancing copper levels which are linked with estrogen.

After FINALLY realizing my acne was hormonal (not because of where it was located, but at what times a month it was worst, observing my past reactions to hormones, and realizing that topicals didn't touch it at all) I began researching and reading hormonal posts on this board. In particular, this thread stuck out to me. I didn't want to take spironolactone anymore, so I weaned off slowly and began introducing a Natural Progesterone Cream daily. It cleared me a great deal, but not completely. To further balance estrogen levels, I added DIM and it did the trick. After around 3 more months, I was clear.

Other things this regimen has helped me with (yes, there's more!)
Brought back my absent period
Cured chronic constipation
Cured insomnia
Greatly helped anxiety
Increased sex drive
Cured ovarian pain
Reduced cold hands and feet
Greatly reduced bloating

A few warnings to anyone who starts this…

PLEASE REMEMBER: Hormones take time to adjust. Plan on waiting at least a few months for you to see results. Also, these treatments require you to be consistent. That means taking them EVERY day (for me), or however often it takes you to see results. ALSO: If you start to take natural progesterone, you go through what is referred to as "estrogen dominance" wake-up. This is the progesterone stimulating the estrogen receptors. You may feel sort of a super-PMS for a few weeks or more, which might include an initial breakout. It didn't for me, but I was crazy emotional and tired for two weeks. After that, it was smooth sailing and I am so glad that I was patient! It WILL subside once progesterone is more dominant.

I hope this helps someone out there. Anyway, even if you don't choose to go with this route; I do hope that you find what works for you. Everyone's different. Good luck and I wish you all clear skin and the best. (:

Edited by hearts, 06 September 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#2 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hearts, your skin looks gorgeous! So were you using progesterone cream while on spiro? Any bad effects from coming off spiro (major breakout)? Also, how clear did the progesterone make you and how long did it take (before you added DIM)?
I hope you'll continue to post in this forum because your experience is very enlightening! :)

#3 hope27

hope27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

ok so I have also  been on spirol it was clearing me up . but the side effects where just 2 much 2 periods a month . mood swings , and vaginal dryness. im allergic to antibiotics and sulfa drugs . yeah just my luck  every time I went to the dermatologist hoping to get clear I ended up with a rash and allergic reactions from medication..

did Accutane also.. after I finished my course my skin became more sensitive . am afraid to take it again . my skin has changed so much after it .

im taking saw palmetto and other supplements to get clear. it has helped.... but  my skin is still breaking out..

where do you buy your products . what store .????.  I know my acne is hormonal.. when I was on spirol I was clearing up so fast on that pill I was so surprised.. two weeks into it  my face was almost cleared.. unfortunately my body didn't like it ..

let me know what store you buy your stuff ..

#4 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hearts, your skin looks gorgeous! So were you using progesterone cream while on spiro? Any bad effects from coming off spiro (major breakout)? Also, how clear did the progesterone make you and how long did it take (before you added DIM)?
I hope you'll continue to post in this forum because your experience is very enlightening! smile.png

Thanks! (: I didn't have a "major breakout" per say when coming off spiro... it was more like it started creeping back to what it was before taking the drug. I was initially on 100mg of spiro for a year and a half or so which cleared me completely but I couldn't handle the side effects. When lowering to 75mg, some side effects went away but I was only 75% clear, and so on. When I was down to 50mg and 25mg weaning off, I was breaking out pretty bad, similar to the pictures. I started progesterone cream around that time but only tiny, tiny amounts since I was so nervous about taking anything else. It wasn't until I upped the dosage of the cream and stopped messing with spiro that I started to clear up.

As far as I know, there isn't any harm in using NPC while taking spiro. And I imagine taking more while weaning off would actually help, at least it would have in my case. I imagine the same would go for weaning off of any BCP.

It's difficult to remember but I would say NPC cleared my face and chest pretty much completely but I would still get big cysts on my upper back and sometimes a few cysts on my neck. DIM really sealed the deal and cleared the rest up.

ok so I have also  been on spirol it was clearing me up . but the side effects where just 2 much 2 periods a month . mood swings , and vaginal dryness. im allergic to antibiotics and sulfa drugs . yeah just my luck  every time I went to the dermatologist hoping to get clear I ended up with a rash and allergic reactions from medication..

did Accutane also.. after I finished my course my skin became more sensitive . am afraid to take it again . my skin has changed so much after it .

im taking saw palmetto and other supplements to get clear. it has helped.... but  my skin is still breaking out..

where do you buy your products . what store .????.  I know my acne is hormonal.. when I was on spirol I was clearing up so fast on that pill I was so surprised.. two weeks into it  my face was almost cleared.. unfortunately my body didn't like it ..

let me know what store you buy your stuff ..

I know what you mean about spiro side effects. Some would argue and say that I gave up for silly reasons, but I seriously know my body and know that what I was going through was not normal or good.

I get NPC and DIM from various places, just depending on price and how soon I need it. You can probably get it from the same place you buy Saw Palmetto. Most health/natural food stores carry them... Sprouts, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, etc. Or you can search for progesterone cream or DIM on Amazon. Natural progesterone cream is usually cheaper online.

#5 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Hearts! I'm always anxious about coming off medications because of the HORRIBLE experience I had when I quit Diane the first time, I weaned off the second time. But if coming off spiro just returns your acne to premedication state then that's (somewhat) comforting.

I don't often have body acne (but I get cysts and nodules on my face) so I wonder if progesterone cream might clear me completely....

So you said you didn't get an IB on progesterone cream? How long till you noticed some improvement on the progesterone alone?

:)

#6 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

congratz! you say that you went on spiro and experienced hair shedding...me too! when I went up to 100 mg my hair started falling out a lot. so now I am just taking 25 mg and the shedding has gone down a lot. however, I have lost 1/3 of my hair or more and it still looks so thin. did your hair all grow back and how long did it take to get your hair back to normal (if it did)? thank you so much for this post sweetie; your helping a lot of people I'm sure!   

#7 nikkimixam

nikkimixam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Could to much estrogen be the reason I have acne and my hair falls out?

#8 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Excessive hormones or an imbalance of hormones- estrogen or testosterone can cause acne. Have you noticed problems on birth control? You might want to ask your doctor or a naturopath to test your levels.

#9 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Hearts! I'm always anxious about coming off medications because of the HORRIBLE experience I had when I quit Diane the first time, I weaned off the second time. But if coming off spiro just returns your acne to premedication state then that's (somewhat) comforting.

I don't often have body acne (but I get cysts and nodules on my face) so I wonder if progesterone cream might clear me completely....

So you said you didn't get an IB on progesterone cream? How long till you noticed some improvement on the progesterone alone?

smile.png

I feel you. I wish I knew to wean off BCP when I stopped... I could have prevented a lot of it, I'm sure. Stopping spiro didn't seem so drastic, but it did come back.

I have never had a breakout because of progesterone cream. It has also never given me any side effects after the "wake-up" for two weeks that I described. And even then, I was just more tired and emotional. Even if NPC didn't clear my skin, I would have been so happy with the other effects that I would still take it for the rest of my life. I even read a study about women using it for face wrinkles (around their eyes) and saw significant improvement with progesterone....

"CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study demonstrate that topical 2% progesterone acts primarily in increasing elasticity and firmness in the skin of peri- and postmenopausal women. These effects in combination with good tolerability make progesterone a possible treatment agent for slowing down the ageing process of female skin after onset of the menopause."

It just has so many benefits in my experience and from what I've researched. Oh man, it sounds like I'm selling it. I'm really not, haha. I just love it. As for how long it took... every hormonal treatment I've ever tried takes at least 3 months to see full effects. I could have slowly started clearing before that, but I suck at keeping progress logs... I'm sorry. I would say any noticable difference happened at 2-3 months.

congratz! you say that you went on spiro and experienced hair shedding...me too! when I went up to 100 mg my hair started falling out a lot. so now I am just taking 25 mg and the shedding has gone down a lot. however, I have lost 1/3 of my hair or more and it still looks so thin. did your hair all grow back and how long did it take to get your hair back to normal (if it did)? thank you so much for this post sweetie; your helping a lot of people I'm sure!   

Thank you! Yes, I experienced a LOT of shedding on spiro. Way more than my "normal" sheds and it wouldn't stop until I lowered my dose, as you did. It made me feel really crappy because I have thick waist-length long hair and it thinned it down a bunch. However, my hair did stop shedding, and started growing back after quitting spiro. I looked like I had an afro for a while with all the new short hairs! I stopped spiro around Christmas 2012, and a lot has grown back... probably not all (like I said, I have thick middle-eastern hair), but a lot of it.

Here is the picture of my hair from the back today: http://img854.images...4/1635/sz7n.jpg

If you are looking to help speed along the process of hair growth, there are a couple things that you can try... I started taking L-Cysteine because of the B5 threads here... someone said that they lost some hair due to the megadosing of the vitamin, and once he started taking L-Cysteine it began to grow back fast, even while still taking the supplement. Well, after researching more about L-Cysteine (or NAC, it is very similar) I found out that it's also an antioxidant, helps prevent hangovers and supports hormonal health. I had no idea, but was pleasantly surprised! (: Another random fact about it — some Asian women take it to "brighten" their skin! Another option is taking Biotin. It helps with hair and nail growth, but it can break some people out so I would be careful. I have considered starting to take Inositol (sort of a B vitamin), as it has a lot of success stories with hair growth but I don't have experience with it personally so I can't say how effective it actually is.

Edited by hearts, 07 September 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#10 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply hearts, I just have a couple more questions for you (because I'm very interested in trying progesterone cream): How does progesterone cream work differently than DIM and do you have any other details about dosage (did you find an amount that worked best for clearing your acne, did you incrementally increase your dose, etc)?
Again, thanks SO MUCH for the info! :)

#11 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Progesterone and DIM are two very different things. Supplementing one or the other could give you very different results.... I found that using both was the perfect solution for me. The reason being is that even though my progesterone/estrogen levels were more balanced after using the cream for awhile, my androgen levels were still a little high.

• Progesterone is a regulatory hormone to many other hormones in the body. It also inhibits 5 alpha reductase activity (testosterone converting to DHT.) Please note that synthetic "progestin" and progesterone are not the same thing. Neither is yam extract.
  • DIM further balances estrogen levels and also acts as a powerful natural anti-androgen (the anti-androgen part is similar to how spiro works.)

It's hard to say what dose of progesterone would work for any individual case. After deciding a tiny amount was not enough for me, I started using the recommended dose in most pamphlets (40mg) and I started seeing better results. Again, this article was handy because it talks about xeno-estrogens in the environment that can lower your progesterone... you can also google more about it. When I'm around more of these or more stress, etc. I tend to use more. From my experience, this has only been more beneficial. One other thing I forgot to mention: I use it daily instead of only days 12-28 of the cycle. I have had much better results than when taking a break every month. Hope this helps. (:

Edited by hearts, 10 September 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#12 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thanks hearts. So taking it daily doesn't negatively impact your period?
Spiro works well for me and I'm scared to try DIM because I've heard of horrible initial breakouts as a potential side effect. So, progesterone cream doesn't reduce androgens or just not enough in your opinion?
Thx!

#13 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

No problem, it's why I'm still here! (:

Progesterone has only positively affected my period. My cycles have always been irregular, and there were times where I just wouldn't have one for months. Spiro made my periods completely stop as well. After using NPC for only a few weeks, I got a period. After a few months of using it daily, my cycle is now like clockwork. 28 days exactly!

I've heard of people breaking out from DIM but I have also heard many stories of it clearing their skin and getting rid of other estrogen dominance symptoms. However, I wouldn't recommend taking both DIM and spiro at the same time. Spiro had estrogenic affects (gaining weight, etc.) for me as well as anti-androgen.

I really do think progesterone reduces androgens. I especially noticed this when administered locally. When I was still breaking out I would apply it directly to the acne and it would help quite a lot. Perhaps it alone just didn't reduce androgens enough for me, or I wasn't using enough. There is also a chance that if I had less acne or less severe (non-cystic) acne that it would have been enough to clear me on it's own.

#14 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi hearts, 

I'm glad you found the right regimen for you. Did you have your hormones checked to confirm your suspicions about your imbalance, or was it trial and error until you found the right balance & supplements? 

I think balancing an anti-androgen with an estrogen/progesterone regulator is key, especially if you didn't respond well to plain anti-androgens like spiro. I was wondering if you researched myo-inositol at all? There have been some promising studies on its impact on acne and other PCOS symptoms.

As for the progesterone cream, I tried kokoro for about 2 months, but my doctor told me that with creams it's better to go to a compounding pharmacy and have them mix it for me so that it's fresh. The kokoro cream, based on extensive research I did at the time, seemed one of the most harmless ones to take (yam-derived, no soy, etc) but I noticed that sometimes I was getting more progesterone in the mix and sometimes less. Some times I felt lethargic after applying exactly the same amount, other times I didn't feel anything. This is because the container gets shuffled around a lot and the progesterone isn't equally distributed. So sometimes you might be getting more of it in the cream, other times less. The other thing that I didn't like was that there is a warning on the container that progesterone may cause cancer. When I called the company (with great customer service btw!) they told me they had to put that warning on the box due to California state regulations, but couldn't tell me whether there were specific studies that linked yam-based progesterone to cancer (there are studies about progestin, but none that I could find on yam-based progesterone). 

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents...I'm doing a full hormonal panel with saliva testing in a few weeks, and then will consider going back on bioidentical hormones under my doctor's supervision. It's so darn expensive though, that's why many people give up and try synthetic hormones.

In what areas are you applying the cream btw? I read about dermal fatigue, and also various opinions on where it's best to apply it (some source said directly in the vagina, but when I tried that I got an uncomfortable numbing and itching sensation). 

#15 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

It has been trial and error. I have supposedly had hormonal tests done, but doctors have always said everything looks "fine." I don't think everything shows up in these tests... I am an advocate of science but I think this area still has room for improvement. That being said, I have never seen my levels personally. When I went to the dermatologist that prescribed me spiro, she told me most of my acne looked hormonal, even on my back. I still trust her, but her resources seemed to be limited to traditional pharmaceuticals.

I have not used Kokoro long term — I've only tried it on occasion when I was running low on others. It seems like a great brand, just from how I felt on it. When I first started progesterone, I used Emerita Progest, but switched to Natpro because it's about double strength (more cost effective) and it has fewer ingredients. It goes on like a light water-based moisturizer, so it's less "goopy" feeling for me. I have also heard of a progesterone suspended in coconut oil called "Progestelle" that seems promising, though I've never tried it. I have never used a compounding pharmacy so I can't say how that would be from experience.

As I said in a previous post in this thread, I have considered taking inositol since it helps with hormones along with hair growth and anxiety, but I have never tried it. I am nervous to add anything to my regimen — if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the saying goes. What is your experience with it if any?

The lethargic feeling you had was most likely the estrogen dominance "wake-up" that I described in my original post. If you are correct about that brand being inconsistent, it probably happened when the dose was higher. I experienced the lethargy for two weeks when I started using progesterone, and after that I have never experienced any side effects, including fatigue when taking even triple the traditionally recommended dose. These symptoms should pass when progesterone becomes more of a dominant hormone.

Yes, the "cancer warning" on the box concerned me as well, but I think it's referring to synthetic progestins, not natural progesterone. Maybe it is just a legal requirement. This is random but if it helps at all, I have poker chips that have the same warning on the box. Also, I read quite a bit about spironolactone actually being carcinogenic, so I am feeling pretty good about my switch!

I apply NPC pretty much anywhere and everywhere. I initially read online that you need to cycle the areas of your body for it to keep working, but I have found that not to be true, at least for me. I mostly put it on my inner arms, inner thighs, stomach, neck, face, and vaginally — however, I don't do a "cycle", I just do whatever I feel like, sometimes repeating for a while. This is just from personal experience, but I don't think it matters where you put it. It only matters that you use it consistently and use enough.

Good luck with your tests. I hope you find what works for you and achieve perfectly clear skin! (:

Edited by hearts, 14 September 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#16 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I might be willing to give the progesterone cream a try after I get my hormonal testing done. The cancer warning was a bit scary, but you're right, spironolactone is more carcinogenic than bioidentical hormones. 

About the dermal fatigue...that doesn't happen until 1-2 years (or more), based on various progesterone cream reviews I've read. So it's good that you are rotating even if you don't rotate consistently. According to Dr. Lee, vaginal application might be the best way to avoid dermal fatigue. When I tried it, I got an uncomfortable tingling and itching sensation, so I only applied there once :/

As for inositol, there isn't much posted on acne.org but there is a lot of information about it online, including clinical studies that show its success with treating PCOS symptoms like acne and hirsutism. I'm taking myo-inositol powder, and have been using it for 3 weeks now. I started with a very low dosage, and now I'm using it twice a day but still a lower amount than the one used in case studies. So far, it's been helping me with insomnia. I also noticed that my facial hair is less dense, and at first I thought it was just wishful thinking. But yesterday I had a facial, and the esthetician noticed it too, so I think it's starting to lower my androgens. I also noticed some mid-section bloating, which could mean a rise in estrogen but inositol is supposed to help regulate progesterone and estrogen too so I'm just giving it at least a couple of months before I can say for sure if it's helping or not with the acne. So far, it seems to be helping with other PCOS symptoms, but I'm also taking a high dose of vitamin D so that might be helping as well. 

Btw, have you noticed any weight gain/loss since you started your regimen?

#17 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Mercola also recommends vaginal (labial) application, or at the very least to apply to areas where there are veins but very little fat (such as the wrists, the throat). This is the opposite of what most recommend, but I was most convinced by a study that showed women who used OTC progesterone cream on the traditional fatty areas (inner thighs, armpits, etc.) had about a 6 year's supply of progesterone in their fat. That wasn't a good thing because the release of progesterone from fat is erratic. Progesterone is easily stored in fat but not so easily released.

It seems that applying progesterone to places where it will circulate without storing itself immediately in a fat cell is the best way to go. 

Also something else to consider, that maybe the cream base makes a difference. One doctor makes a point about liposomal delivery vs. normal cream/oil delivery

I have found that the most effective type of delivery for this application is known as a Transdermal Liposome Delivery System (TLDS). Liposomes are microscopic lipid (water-insoluble fat) globules that are made of a natural material similar to that of the cell membrane. This allows them to easily pass into the target cell and deposit their payload. When applied to the skin, they penetrate quickly through the tissue, are picked up by the capillaries, and are transported through the bloodstream to where they are needed. The liposomes are filled with Progesterone or whatever nutrient is desired. The advantage to this form of delivery is that it is predictable. The time it takes to pass into the cells and be utilized - its clearance - is easily calculated.

Most of the Progesterone creams available today use an inexpensive oil (fat-soluble) cosmetic base, rather than the more expensive liposomal compound. This can be a problem - the oil?based compounds have a tendency to stay in the skin for a long time, releasing their payload for an extended and unpredictable period of time. For instance, during the period of menses (first six days of menstrual cycle), Progesterone should be discontinued because it can interfere with the normal shift from Progesterone to estrogen dominance. But in a simple oil-based formula, the levels can remain high, due to the ongoing release into the bloodstream.

I have seen as many problems created as resolved in oil-based formulas because of this uncontrolled method of delivery. A typical scenario would be as follows: After the first week or two of using Progesterone cream, there is a noticeable change as Progesterone levels normalize. It continues for six to eight weeks, during which the levels continue to go higher and higher. Now instead of having a long menstrual cycle (29 to 40 days), the cycle becomes shorter (14 to 27 days). The positive feelings that were first experienced begin to fade and are replaced with new symptoms. Many times I have had a patient discontinue use of Progesterone cream and still found high levels three or four months later. I recommend a liposomal cream to my patients.

The Source Naturals progesterone cream says "Advanced Liposomal Delivery" on the jar. I assume this is the same thing.

#18 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info about inositol, WishClean. I'll keep it in mind. I would love to hear how it is going in a few months when your hormones really have time to adjust. I haven't gained or lost weight since starting progesterone and DIM. This is good for me because I want to stay the same. I gained around 15-20lbs on spiro, but once I stopped it the weight dropped off.

Green Gables, that is interesting about progesterone base making a difference. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the creams I've tried, but maybe the oil would be different. The ingredients in the one I'm using now are: de-ionised water, caprylic/capric triglyceride, natural progesterone, cetearyl olivate/sorbitan olivate, aspen bark extract, dehydroxanthan gum, and vitamin E.

#19 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

If you gained that much weight on spiro, then it was definitely setting your estrogen and progesterone levels off balance compared to testosterone. So I think you are on the right track with trying to tackle your imbalance with progesterone cream and DIM, because that way the progesterone helps regulate your androgens and DIM filters out excess estrogen. Are you planning on staying on this regimen forever? Or will you adjust it accordingly in a few months?

Yes, I agree with greengables about avoiding the fatty areas when applying progesterone cream. Early studies were advocating applying the cream to fatty areas for faster results, but that led to weight gain in the long run. If you feel healthy and normal, then you've found the right combo! 

There are definitely some good suggestions on progesterone cream here, I will consider it if I need to take it after I get my hormones re-tested. 

I increased my inositol dosage 2 days ago to twice a day, about 1-1.5g per day total. And I noticed that it has really helped decrease the nighttime numbness I get in my hands and feet. It helps with the nervous system too, so for me right now it seems really promising in many ways. 

#20 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Agreed, it seems to be the case — I had many estrogen dominance symptoms when taking spiro, and have on all hormonal birth control.

I plan on using natural progesterone for the rest of my life. It has been SO beneficial for me in so many ways. I don't know if I will continue taking DIM forever, at least at this dose. I'd like to try lowering my dosage sometime... maybe in a less stressful time in my life. I also don't plan on taking DIM if I ever choose to try to become pregnant, but will always continue progesterone.

It is interesting... I really don't know about progesterone accumulating in the fat, but I'm not saying you both are wrong by any means. Here is a study that seems to suggest otherwise. Like I said, I haven't noticed a difference in the areas that I apply it... other than it helping in the healing process on acne and injuries when applied directly to the area. I think I will now apply it more often to non-fatty areas, but I'm not going to avoid them entirely.

That is awesome that inositol can benefit the nervous system, I had no idea! Just wondering, but don't you think that taking inositol before taking your hormone panel will alter the levels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users