To Pick Or Not To Pick?

popping pimples picking blackheads

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bloom55_*

Guest_Bloom55_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm confused by all the contradicting information. I watched a video recently where this woman strongly advocated going ham when it comes to getting all the muck out of your pores. I could see her logic in doing this because she mentioned that oily skin traps dirt more easily and a simple wash and light scrub doesn't always do the job. Urgh. When I first got acne I used to be like that, trying to scrub, pop and extract the problem away. Then after gathering tons of information about the issue I concluded that most articles and people discourage picking, for a number of reasons I'm sure I don't need to mention, so I stopped. What I was left with was less irritated skin but the pimples were still coming so my complexion became very bumpy, especially when I started getting blackheads. I always wondered what would happen to the pus under my skin. Would it just disappear? Well I waited it out for months and would you believe it didn't? The very next time I went to a dermatologist she urged me to get a blackhead extractor ASAP to get all the bumps of my face. That same dermatologist used to give me facials and squeeze my pimples with her gloved hands encouraging me to think it was okay at the time. It literally took me hours in front of the mirror extracting all the gunk out and the change was drastic because my mom swore my skin got lighter when I was done. Horror set in soon after because, as soon as I washed out my face, I noticed had a few little indents in my face, like enlarged pores. I recognized them immediately from all the info warning me against my act. So now I'm left confused. I got the scars to go away but I haven't touched the extractor. I extract my blackheads with tissues and my fingers but it's hard to extract this way and I admit I do get marks with this method. As for my pimples I'm not fussy about extracting them because either way I am left with a mark reminding me they were once there. Unlike the blackheads, they do go down when you let them sit long enough. I'm not sure which matters more to me, smoother skin or hyper-pigmentation. My need to eventually extract my blackheads would say the smoothness but the amount of money I have spent on skin brighteners says otherwise.

#2 allnightmarelong

allnightmarelong

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Don't pick at them. I have pretty bad blackheads on my nose and other areas and I've been picking at them for quite a while now. I think it just makes them worse as I have some blackheads that are bigger than others and now I have little scars on my nose from picking at them all these years. Try to find a facial cleanser with a ph of 5 with salicylic acid that should help dissolve them.

#3 Stolsmark1

Stolsmark1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

I dont know but i read somewhere that the pore stretches when its filled with oil/blackheads etc and that it wont shrink back once its stretched. So i try to prevent major build up. I extract and mask regularly. My skin pretty much pours out oil everday so i squeeze each day.

#4 AcnencA

AcnencA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Don't pick at them,try steaming your nose and exfoliate with a scrub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users