Photo

My Accutane Journey (23 Year Old Female)

accutane journey female genetic acne

20 replies to this topic

#1 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

I would like to share my accutane journey with you guys, and hopefully get a chance to let off some steam when things get rough.

Background info: I'm 23 years old female living by myself. My acne is genetic (both my mother and grandfather was plagued by it until well into their 30's). I have had acne for 10 years, and after being prescribed several topical treatments I was finally reffered to a dermatologist. He put me through a course of antibiotics (tetracyclin), which didn't help. And so I ended up with a prescription for Accutane..

Startet 16. august, 2013. 40 mg a day (I weigh around 110 lbs)

Week 1 (22-09-2013): There was naturally no changes in the first few days. On day four, however, I started to break out. It started mildly, but during the following days it got worse and worse. My lips are dry and sometimes my lower back hurts.
Luckily I'm not supposed to start at the university for another week and a half.

Week 2 (29-09-2013): My acne keeps getting worse. Now, at the end of week two, I'm experiencing the worst break out I have ever had. My skin hurts and every morning I wake up, I find at least five new, active pimples. I'm trying my best not to pick at them, because my dermatologist told me that the scarring would be worse, while I'm on accutane (don't know if that is true, have heard some conflicting stories). I'm really, really depressed. I spent most of the week with my family, but I had to go home, because I felt like being alone. I feel a bit emotionally unstable. Crying everytime I look in the mirror. Trying not to think about the fact that I'll have to face a bunch of new people the comming wednesday (as lectures begin). I knew it would get worse before it gets better, but right now I really need to see some progress. Doesn't have to be much. Waking up, with 1-2 new pimples in stead of 5< would do it..

Edited by LookWhatYouDid, 06 September 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#2 aussieface

aussieface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

This is completely normal.

Your skin gets worse then it clears so don't freak out we all have to go through it.

Mine was like a pizza from the 1st dose.

It will get better it just takes time.

So just drink HEAPS of water.

Take zinc, vitb, and try not the stress out.

And i didnt see it clearing until about week 8 but everyones different.

Trust me youll be fine.

Acne vulgaris from puberty. Roaccutane from 21.
Vbeam laser damaged my skin at 39

Scars and made me break out again.
Don't ever use this laser!!

Or any really unless its a 

Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon

that is performing the procedure.
Only way to avoid scarring and breakout was roaccutane.
Started Roaccutane August 2012 Finished Roaccutane in June 2013.

#3 EatsRainbows

EatsRainbows

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Writing. Reading. Cooking. Eating. Smiling.

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I know how awful the initial breakout is (trust me, been there done that) but do not lose hope. At the beginning of my course it felt as if my skin would never clear even though fellow 'accutaners' told me it would. Now, half way through month 3, I love my skin. The first couple of months were painful, itchy, emotional and painful again but it's been 100% worth it. It might not feel like it now but your course will fly by and you'll be sitting here writing about how great you feel like I am. Check out my log if you need any further proof of the wonders of this drug. Hang in there :)

My Roaccutane Journey

16th May-27th October 2013

15 Years Old/Female/52kg

Month 1- 20mg

Month 2- 40mg

Month 3- 40mg

Month 4- 50mg

Month 5 and 1/2- 50mg

Also see page 4 on my log for the before and after photos :)

"You can't make a rainbow without a little rain"

#4 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

Week 3 (05-09-2013): No changes. Still have the worst acne I have ever had. I try not to pick in it, but I still noticed some dark spots after the pimples.. Do anybody know if they will diappear?
The acne seems to have spread to the "middle" of my face. Closer to my nose. It is painful and itchy. Anyway. I have really dry lips - like ten times worse than week 1 or 2. I can literally peel off skin from my lips, even though I use lip balm ALL the time. I found it helps if I put lip balm on right before I go to bed and if/when I get up to use the toilet. I'm still feeling depressed and I still cry a lot (I know it sounds incredibly pathetic and trust me - I often have "get yourself together"-conversations with myself). I really hope there will be progress soon. I'm tired of going to bed every night thinking "this can't possibly become worse" and then waking up the next morning realising that it can.

#5 sarahlous

sarahlous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Don't think you're pathetic for crying or being depressed. Before I started Accutane I found myself bursting out crying randomly during the day for no reason at all, but just knowing how terrible I looked made me an emotional wreck. 

I think something that might help you is knowing that there is a good chance these are the last few weeks of breaking out. If you can handle a few more weeks, you'll be introduced to beautiful clear skin and there's a good chance you'll never experience a breakout nearly as bad ever again in your life. Just tell yourself, "hey, my skin is going to look terrible for a little while. After that, I won't have to worry again."

#6 CharisseChaz

CharisseChaz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi everyone! I'm 19 and I'll be starting to take accutane next week (hopefully). It's really hard to decide if I will take it or not. I already have the pills with me, starting at a very low dose (10mg) then increasing to 40mg after a month. I'm really nervous about this. :( College just started and i don't really wanna look horrible. And for the sode effects, I'm sooooo scared. :(

#7 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Don't think you're pathetic for crying or being depressed. Before I started Accutane I found myself bursting out crying randomly during the day for no reason at all, but just knowing how terrible I looked made me an emotional wreck. 

I think something that might help you is knowing that there is a good chance these are the last few weeks of breaking out. If you can handle a few more weeks, you'll be introduced to beautiful clear skin and there's a good chance you'll never experience a breakout nearly as bad ever again in your life. Just tell yourself, "hey, my skin is going to look terrible for a little while. After that, I won't have to worry again."

Thank you for your input!
. It is so hard and it's just nice to know that I'm not alone - that people have experienced this, felt the way I feel and gotten better.
Did your IB peak at any point? Or was it just shit all the way through?

Hi everyone! I'm 19 and I'll be starting to take accutane next week (hopefully). It's really hard to decide if I will take it or not. I already have the pills with me, starting at a very low dose (10mg) then increasing to 40mg after a month. I'm really nervous about this. sad.png College just started and i don't really wanna look horrible. And for the sode effects, I'm sooooo scared. sad.png

It is my understanding that not everyone gets an Initial Breakout. Also the length - if you do get one - varies a lot.
If I was to give advice solely from my own experience, I would tell you to think a great deal about it.
Dealing with the worst break out of my life turned out to be way harder emotionally than what I expected.  I try to attend the lectures at university and the various activites, but I get drained so fast. I have a hard time looking peope in the eye, and a hard time keeping myself from crying.
If I were you, I would wait and start whenever you have a break from college (so you can get support from you family and so that you yourself can decide if you want to go out in public or not)
I know I paint a very negative picture of accutane, but it is also a biased one. I have yet to see progress, and if/when I do, I will probably have nicer things to say. Best of luck - keep us updated on your choice and progress. :)

#8 CharisseChaz

CharisseChaz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Do you think it will be okay if I tell my doctor that I'll take accutane on my december break? I'm really worried about IBS. And you know, it's really hard to look people in the eye when you have lots on your face and you just cant stop thinking about what they're thinking about when they see you. You know.. But yeah, whatever my decision is about this, i will tell you just to make sure I'm not alone with this. Cause i'm away from my family and i really don't want to feel so sad..

#9 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Do you think it will be okay if I tell my doctor that I'll take accutane on my december break? I'm really worried about IBS. And you know, it's really hard to look people in the eye when you have lots on your face and you just cant stop thinking about what they're thinking about when they see you. You know.. But yeah, whatever my decision is about this, i will tell you just to make sure I'm not alone with this. Cause i'm away from my family and i really don't want to feel so sad..

I think it'll be fine. But ask him/her. I've heard something about injections and antibiotics that some doctors will prescribe to avoid IB/if the IB gets really bad - you should ask your doctor about that too.

It is very hard. You notice immediately when people look at your huge pimples, in stead of your eyes.

I look forward to hearing about your decision and how your accutane-adventure plays out. :)

#10 sarahlous

sarahlous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for your input!
. It is so hard and it's just nice to know that I'm not alone - that people have experienced this, felt the way I feel and gotten better.
Did your IB peak at any point? Or was it just shit all the way through?

I haven't had a terrible IB actually. But before I started Accutane my skin just flared up so badly, worse than it had in a long time, but knowing that I was about to start the medication - it helped me realize that i just had to hold on a little longer and then I wouldn't have to worry about breaking out again. Good luck and feel better!

#11 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've heard of prednis(ol)one or the oral antibiotic erythromycin being used together with Accutane to reduce/minimise the initial breakout.

An acute flare of acne early in a course of isotretinoin is a recognized problem in about 6% cases and is clinically significant in half of these. The physician should inform patients accordingly and provide a fast track follow up should this problem occur as these flares can be very aggressive producing physical and psychological difficulties. Predisposing risk factors for a flare include the presence of macrocomedones and nodules. If a severe flare occurs oral prednisolone should be given in a dose of 0.5–1.0 mg/kg/day over a period of 2–3 weeks, and the dose slowly decreased over the next 6 weeks. The isotretinoin should either be stopped or reduced to a dosage of 0.25 mg/kg/day depending on the severity of the problem. If stopped, the drug can be slowly reintroduced at a dose of 0.25 mg/kg/day, and then increased or decreased as response dictates.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....de0103_0162.pdf

Good luck

Edited by biggs881, 07 September 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#12 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Day 25 - My skin is soooo bad and it's making me feel very depressed. I've contacted my dermatologist, who told me to come see him asap. Off course that means Wednesday, because he's always booked up. He brought up a temporary course of antibiotics as a possibility. I can't wait.

#13 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

zsdasad
Snapshot 20130823 5

Snapshot 20130910 1
Snapshot 20130910 2

I would just like to share my "progress".. Do you think I posted them in the wrong order? Unfortunately no.. The first pictures is when I started taking accutane, the last one is today (day 26).. Absolutely great, huh? sad.png

Edited by LookWhatYouDid, 10 September 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#14 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, Biology, Mountains, Nature, Painting, Drawing

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hang in there! It will get better.

I had a bad initial breakout too but then I started clearing up. Now, I'm breaking out again, but I don't feel as bad about it. I feel confident that I will clear up (and you will too). Just have to take things one step at a time.

I stayed in mostly during that time because I felt so embarrassed. Working out, eating healthy, drinking a lot of rooibos tea, reading and watching Korean movies helped me get through it, lol. Now I started uni, so I can't stay out of the public as much but I just try and concentrate on learning and studying. I keep telling myself that it will be all worth it in the end. Try and keep yourself busy with stuff that you like to do.

Started Accutane (Amnesteem): 25 July 2013

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 40 mg

Done!

#15 CWR24

CWR24

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

What everyone else is saying is true it gets worse before it gets better. Just remember in a couple months yours skin is going to look great! Hang in there its worth it!

Absorica Aug 2013 -Feb2014

Claravis March 211 - July 2011

#16 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thank you all, for your replies. I don't think you know how much it means to me.

Went to my dermatologist today. He started me on Roxithromycin - two pills a day, for a month. If I feel like it, I can continue for another month, but he suggest I take a break to see if I can go without. Off course he started to talk about how difficult and strenuous it is to live with severe acne when you are an adult which completely ruined my composure - and so I cried for the following 10 minutes. He said that studies have shown that living with acne is almost as difficult as living with a life-threatening disease.

Oh and I'm sure my liver is loving this.. Antibiotics AND Accutane..

I had a bad initial breakout too but then I started clearing up. Now, I'm breaking out again, but I don't feel as bad about it. I feel confident that I will clear up (and you will too). Just have to take things one step at a time.

I stayed in mostly during that time because I felt so embarrassed. Working out, eating healthy, drinking a lot of rooibos tea, reading and watching Korean movies helped me get through it, lol. Now I started uni, so I can't stay out of the public as much but I just try and concentrate on learning and studying. I keep telling myself that it will be all worth it in the end. Try and keep yourself busy with stuff that you like to do.

Thank you! I really need to start exercising again. Haven't done it in a few weeks, because I don't feel like going out in public.

I spend a lot of time studying as well. It is nice to lose yourself in your books and forget about your situation. How do you deal with your fellow students? I have 6 really good friends, that I haven't seen in a while, because I don't feel like going out in public (I'm starting to sound like a broken record..)

#17 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've moved this thread to the Accutane logs forum, where it is better suited

#18 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, Biology, Mountains, Nature, Painting, Drawing

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thank you all, for your replies. I don't think you know how much it means to me.

Went to my dermatologist today. He started me on Roxithromycin - two pills a day, for a month. If I feel like it, I can continue for another month, but he suggest I take a break to see if I can go without. Off course he started to talk about how difficult and strenuous it is to live with severe acne when you are an adult which completely ruined my composure - and so I cried for the following 10 minutes. He said that studies have shown that living with acne is almost as difficult as living with a life-threatening disease.

Oh and I'm sure my liver is loving this.. Antibiotics AND Accutane..

Thank you! I really need to start exercising again. Haven't done it in a few weeks, because I don't feel like going out in public.

I spend a lot of time studying as well. It is nice to lose yourself in your books and forget about your situation. How do you deal with your fellow students? I have 6 really good friends, that I haven't seen in a while, because I don't feel like going out in public (I'm starting to sound like a broken record..)

Is there anyway you can exercise at home? If you live in the dorms/student housing, I understand it would be difficult. You can also look for a quiet path to go jogging. Though I do think that most people at the gym are too concerned with their own selves and their own workout to even notice how your skin is (which really isn't bad by the way, I don't see any cysts) so going to the gym should still be an option. You could use the endorphins! :D

As for dealing with my classmates, I just talk to them normally, though I must admit I am more shy than usual. I wear makeup, which doesn't cover up the bumps but it definitely helps with the redness, which gives me a little more confidence. Do you wear makeup? I also notice other students have acne as well so I don't feel as alone.  Most of my friends have already graduated and some are even in different countries, so I don't really run into anyone I know. However, I do think that strong social support can really help you get through this. Tell your friends what you're going through and how you feel. I'm sure they would understand and would be more than willing to help you!

Remember this is just temporary. You'll have beautiful skin by the end of this. Don't give up hope! When you find yourself thinking and stressing about your skin (which I do often), give yourself a mental slap and place your focus on something that's way more important (like your relationships, health, studies, etc.). Try and avoid going to the mirror as often, especially those magnifying makeup mirrors. They can really give you a distorted view of yourself as we tend to be our own worst critics.

Hope this helps! :)

Started Accutane (Amnesteem): 25 July 2013

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 40 mg

Done!

#19 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Update - 40 days on accutane - 14 days on Roxithromycin

My skin has gotten better!!! Finally a turning point!
I don't, however, know if it is the Roxithromycin og the Accutane that makes the difference. I'm afraid that I'll relapse if I stop taking Roxithromycin (which my dermatologist strongly adviced I do after a month - if it gets worse, I can start again, but I know I mentally can't handle a relapse).

My skin feels smoother and my forehead is clear (and extremely smooth). I still have bumps on my cheeks, but they er smaller and less sore. The main thing now, seems to be the redness and inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I have a lot of black/blue marks where I used to have whiteheads. At least it is semi-coverable. smile.png I'm feeling a lot more optimistic.
When it comes to side effects, I have had my first nose bleed. I have not had any pain in my back since the first couple of weeks. I have dry lips (SURPRISE!). My eyes are dry and the skin on my arms have started to flake. I am literally moisturizing every surface on my body. smile.png

Overall the IB has been a real b*tch. My skin still looks worse than when I started accutane, but it FEELS better and smooth to the touch. I'm optimistic.

Day 26

Snapshot 20130910 1

Day 40
Snapshot 20130924 2 (2)

Edited by LookWhatYouDid, 24 September 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#20 LookWhatYouDid

LookWhatYouDid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thought I owed to update people on my progress. 

Left side (about 1 month between each picture - except the second one, which is when my IB peaked 1,5 month in): 

Snapshot_20130823_5 (2) (200x150).jpg

Edited by LookWhatYouDid, 14 January 2014 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users