Photo

Calling All Knowledgable Health Junkies!

vitamins supplements biotin witamin b

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I was just going to suggest the same thing. Earth balance natural buttery spread is very good. I'm a farm girl and I eat butter in ridiculous amounts (not intolerant of it and I'm underweight) but when I attempted to go vegan a few years ago, someone suggested this. Very good. 

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, inositol seems very promising for a number of things,

Buckwheat is one of the best sources.
Buckwheat shouldn't cause any digestive issues, right? since it's not actually wheat. Are there buckwheat pitas, that would be a good idea.
What happened to the inositol hype a few years ago? I read some old posts of people raving about it, and then the enthusiasm died down. There are a few promising studies on its effects on both acne and hirsutism, so I was wondering why not many people have tried it esp. for hormonal acne.
. Sweet jade, who is also a PCOs & leaky gut sufferer talked about it a lot. And about buckwheat, which is the seed of a spinach like plant. Not even a grain. Sprout it by soaking for only about thirty minutes, then drain and rinse. Let sit all day o over night. Rinse again before cooking. In addition to the inositol,its a quality protein. Better than oats.

Edited by alternativista, 05 September 2013 - 06:48 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#23 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, inositol seems very promising for a number of things,

Buckwheat is one of the best sources.
Buckwheat shouldn't cause any digestive issues, right? since it's not actually wheat. Are there buckwheat pitas, that would be a good idea.
What happened to the inositol hype a few years ago? I read some old posts of people raving about it, and then the enthusiasm died down. There are a few promising studies on its effects on both acne and hirsutism, so I was wondering why not many people have tried it esp. for hormonal acne.
. Sweet jade, who is also a PCOs & leaky gut sufferer talked about it a lot. And about buckwheat, which is the seed of a spinach like plant. Not even a grain. Sprout it by soaking for only about thirty minutes, then drain and rinse. Let sit all day o over night. Rinse again before cooking. In addition to the inositol,its a quality protein. Better than oats.

Great, thanks for the tips! I looked up sweet jade's posts, but she never posted any conclusive results after taking inositol. Buckwheat I believe has d-chiroinositol, which helps, but I read that it's also beneficial to take myo-inositol which is what I'm now taking in powder form. Are there any good food sources of myo-inositol that would give me around 600mg per day?

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#24 nikkimixam

nikkimixam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

What do you eat?

Gluten, soy, dairy, and caffeine free diet

Things I do eat on the regular (everything is organic BTW):

White fish (tilapia, cod), chicken, sweet potatoes, every kind of fruits and veggies, almonds, almond butter, almond milk, eggs, smart balance as butter substitute, Koala Krisp gluten-free cereal... I don't really stray from those foods. My diet is very limited only because I choose it to be that way.
That was an ok list right up until the last two items.

Smart balance is an organic conglomeration of chemicals & esterified oil? Unless you are very intolerant to cow dairy, butter from pastured cows is far healthier.

And organic doesn't make that refined sweetened cereal good. Whole Oats or buckwheat topped with fruit & nuts would be higher protein, minerals, lower GI depending on the fruit.

I am extremely intolerant to dairy. I get violently ill after consuming even the most miniscule amounts of it unfortunately, so I do need to use chemical substitutes. I have tried to have meals that contain buckwheat (like pancakes, waffles, bread), but I find that I get full extremely quickly and cannot consume enough to get the proper amount of calories my body needs. Same thing with oats. I usually eat the gluten/wheat-free brands Ezekiel and Udi's for the carbohydrate component to my diet.  I'm not sure that sugar aggravates my acne, but I do consume complex/nutritious carbs for the most part, so maybe it is. That's why I wanted to try chromium.

I just added 400 mcg of chromium picolinate.. the bottle says to take 1 tablet a day, each tablet is 400 mcg. I might start by taking it every other morning or cutting the pills in half and taking 200 mcg everyday. Ill let you know how it goes!

#25 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

What do you eat?

Gluten, soy, dairy, and caffeine free diet

Things I do eat on the regular (everything is organic BTW):

White fish (tilapia, cod), chicken, sweet potatoes, every kind of fruits and veggies, almonds, almond butter, almond milk, eggs, smart balance as butter substitute, Koala Krisp gluten-free cereal... I don't really stray from those foods. My diet is very limited only because I choose it to be that way.
That was an ok list right up until the last two items.

Smart balance is an organic conglomeration of chemicals & esterified oil? Unless you are very intolerant to cow dairy, butter from pastured cows is far healthier.

And organic doesn't make that refined sweetened cereal good. Whole Oats or buckwheat topped with fruit & nuts would be higher protein, minerals, lower GI depending on the fruit.

I am extremely intolerant to dairy. I get violently ill after consuming even the most miniscule amounts of it unfortunately, so I do need to use chemical substitutes. I have tried to have meals that contain buckwheat (like pancakes, waffles, bread), but I find that I get full extremely quickly and cannot consume enough to get the proper amount of calories my body needs. Same thing with oats. I usually eat the gluten/wheat-free brands Ezekiel and Udi's for the carbohydrate component to my diet.  I'm not sure that sugar aggravates my acne, but I do consume complex/nutritious carbs for the most part, so maybe it is. That's why I wanted to try chromium.

I just added 400 mcg of chromium picolinate.. the bottle says to take 1 tablet a day, each tablet is 400 mcg. I might start by taking it every other morning or cutting the pills in half and taking 200 mcg everyday. Ill let you know how it goes!

That would be awesome! Keep me posted. I really want to try the chromium, I'm just nervous about the side effects. Heard lots of great things about the supplement though! Good luck!

AM Regimen:

Cleanse face with La Roche Posay Effaclar

Apply Aczone

Moisturize with Sheseido Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturizer

PM Regimen:

Cleanse face with La Roche Posay Effaclar

Apply Aczone

Moisturize with Sheseido Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturizer

Spot Treat with Clearisil Adult Acne Tinted Spot Treatment (always)

I now do not follow a vitamin regimen and have expanded my eating to include almost all food groups (excluding lactose/dairy). Since I made this change my face has CLEARED UP!

Minimalism people, trust me it works. Develop a skin care regimen, stick to it, and you will see results. All the rest (diet, exercise, supplements) didn't work for me. Less is more.

Status: 98% Clear... Plus a nice bunch of superficial scarring -.-

#26 David1604

David1604

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hey Rosalie - just stumbled across some of your posts & I am concerned about you. You need to eat healthy while taking any supplements otherwise your body can't cope. And by healthy I mean getting enough protein and vegetables & fruit (go for the less sugary fruit where possible). Stay away from dairy if you can - dairy is full of hormones so take calcium supplements for your bones & vitamin D is great for acne too. If you want to take supplements for your skin, vitamin C 1000mg a day is great, zinc 50mg a day & Selenium is good too - but never exceed more than 50-70 mcg a day. I WOULD try a 3 mth course of antibiotics to get the bacteria under control, but no longer than that & if you do take antibiotics make sure you take a probiotic every day, otherwise you will end up with Candida which is not good for pimples. I have been reading up on the chromium....I'm not sure about it, so many mixed reviews & the hair loss thing is a concern. ALSO vitamin A is great. I'm not talking roaccutane - but you can take up to 50,000 I.U for 3 mths (you need a prescription for this in Australia - don't know about USA) - stop for 1mth & then back on again. etc. This is what my dermatologist had me on - it worked. Please contact me if you need any more info.

Regards, David.

#27 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

^Geez. Please don't try the antibiotics.  Killing everything is not the answer, many of the bacteria and other microbes play essential roles in your body including those on your skin.  Besides, bacteria are really not the cause of acne.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#28 Gladiatoro

Gladiatoro

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

http://www.naturalne...une_system.html

#29 David1604

David1604

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hey Alternativista - you are absolutely right, I'm not disagreeing with you - antibiotics are bad news, that's why I said not to exceed more than 3 mths & to definitely take probiotics while on them - BUT definitely stay away from them if possible. Natural antibiotics like garlic & colloidal silver are good options. I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but lately I have been taking psyllium husk - not because I wanted to treat the occasional pimple I still get, but for cleansing purposes. It's very important to have a good bowel movement everyday (sorry, hate talking about things like that) but I have noticed that my skin is nicer looking i.e more translucent & healthier looking (note I also have 8 glasses of water a day - this is vital). Also having a home made vegetable/low sugar fruit juice a day is really great (I usually use carrot, celery & an apple, but anything green & especially carrot is great - good for cleansing the liver). Rosalie - please be careful with chromium - it definitely looks promising from all the posts I have read, but maybe try brewer's yeast (loaded with chromium) first & then move to the actual supplement - natural is always better as I am sure you know.

David.