Age 43 With Acne, No Ovaries

3 replies to this topic

#1 cgoodloe

cgoodloe

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I had my ovaries removed due to internal issues and I thought it would cure my acne. Nope! I am on bioidentical hormone cream that's low estrogen, low progestin, and zero testosterone. Did not stop breakouts. It lessened the cystic on my chest and back, but I still get those on my chin, cheeks, and neck. I came here hoping to find out about products I can try. 

I plan on starting the regimen on the site and use some of the products listed as acceptable in the report. I hope this works. 

On top of acne I have melasma or whatever those brown spots are on the cheeks. You'd think that'd go away with less hormone in my body but nope. I look horrible without makeup. Dermablend works but is greasy and rubs off easily. Most other makeups clog pores even though they say they don't. BareMinerals works great but again rubs off easily. 

Thanks for all the tips and information running through these forums. Hoping this regimen works. 

Carla

#2 Sgreenta

Sgreenta

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hi. i am in my 40s. i have adult onset acne and also rosacea...which was really pretty severe. I saw 3 different dermatologists in 6 months. I tried everything: retin a, antibiotics, rosac wash, hydrocortisone, finacea, aczone, and.....you name it!

PLEASE TRY THE REGIMEN.

I started the regimen about 3 months ago and my skin got worse for the first 2-3 weeks. I literally did not want to leave the house. I was pretty discouraged and did email for some coaching. Brandy emailed me back the same day. She is very helpful and informative. So, after following the regimen religiously and exactly as instructed, using purpose cleanser, neutrogena on the spot and cetaphil lotion, I noticed that my skin slowly started really clearing up. Even the rosacea! About week 6 I bought Dan's products, which are fantastic, but not necessary. I also started on prescription nicomide (supplement containing zinc, folic acid, copper and niacin) and Culturelle probiotic a few weeks ago. I also cut out all gluten and dairy. Now, my skin is nearly perfect. I still get some mild flushing, and limited, intermittent mild redness. I get a zit maybe once per week, but it is nothing like it was. I can't believe it.

Please try it and stick it out with the regimen even if your skin gets worse at first and even if it doesn't clear up fast. It will work! Also, ask your derm about nicomide. I think it has helped.

I hope this helps
Current Regimen Started June 2013:
AM
acne.org cleanser
acne,org BP
acne.org moisturizer
NeoCutis Lumier Riche eye cream
Neutrogena sensitive skin SPF 30
Carmex lip balm

PM
acne.org cleanser
acne,org BP
1/2 acne.org moisturizer + 1/2 acne.org AHA+ 5 drops jojoba oil
NeoCutis Lumier Riche eye cream
Carmex lip balm

Current Supplements: Nicomide, Viviscal, Nordic Naturals Omega 3, Emergen-C, Culturelle Probiotic.

Current Status: 99% clear

#3 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hi --- I too had ovaries removed and suffered from the same acne problems as you, and rosacea too.  Awful.  The regime below has helped me get almost clear.  What finally got me even more clear has been avoiding dairy, alcohol, sugary foods, and oils.  This has dramatically reduced inflammation and breakouts.  I use a tiny amount of extra-virgin organic olive oil for cooking but that's it.  This means no bakery goods, junk foods, fried foods, etc.  I eat only whole wholesome foods and a bit of wild fish or game.  I've modified things a bit and eat white rice and pasta on occasion but that is only because I have problems with fructose so can't eat brown rice, etc.  But I figure most Asians have nice skin and they eat white rice!  I eat a ton of fresh vegetables and berries.  I don't drink any fruit juices...too concentrated (sugars).  This diet addresses both issues of hormones and inflammation.  And it mimics what people eat in cultures that don't get acne. 

You may want to try a version of the mainstream meds I use below...but my derm says the key is you have to use it all together.  The individual meds by themselves might work for some people with mild acne but chronic acne particularly in older adults often needs a multi-prong approach.  This regime was developed by a derm who specializes in adult inflammatory acne and is mild on the body...good for sensitive skin.  The cleanser has benzoyl peroxide which is better than topical for some people (like me).  The Cleocin-T is a topical antibiotic that is mild but effective.  The low-dose doxy is like Oracea...works not an antibiotic but instead just an anti-inflammatory.  I may be able to wean off that soon.  The Spironolactone is wonderful for hormonally based acne.  It is not a hormone but works as an androgen blocker.  It too has been very well researched and is mild on the body...not like birth control!  The monthly microdermabrasions have been a godsend...have made the whole regime work better by opening the pores like nothing else.  Well worth the money in my opinion!

Hope this helps you.  Having adult acne that just never goes away is such an agonizing thing!

Oh I forgot to menthion that avoiding oils also has the added benefit of making your skin less oily...yes it really works.  There is less sebum and that means less acne.  This helps with make-up.  I personally like Almay products.  Almay Smart Balance Pressed powder has nice coverage and I add a bit more with a tiny brush to even out any darker spots as needed.  It is specifically made for sensitive skin.  I also recommend DML lotion.  It was developed for people getting plastic surgery and it was specifically developed for acne prone skin.  It isn't natural but is soooo gentle and protective.  My skin is doing 1000% better using it.

Feel free to contact me personally.  We need to stick together in this struggle!

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#4 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

How long have you been using the bio-identical hormone cream? It takes a while for your body to adjust, so give it some more time and also follow a skincare routine that works for you. I have problems with my ovaries (PCOS), but can't relate to what you've been through. I do struggle with melasma though - some sources say that it can fade once your hormones readjust (esp. once your estrogen & progesterone levels become more balanced), while other sources say that once you get it it's hard to completely remove it. I have, however, managed to fade mine so I'll give you some tips that worked for me.

1. Wear sunscreen, which I assume you are already doing. I use a primer with SPF 30, and I also apply a vitamin C cream on top of that.

2. Every night I apply grapeseed seed oil on the areas with melasma for 1-2 hours, then wash it off. I use the organic kind, the same I use for cooking. It has a very high % of vitamin E and I found that it helps break up the dark pigment if you use it consistently.

3. After washing my face at night, I apply a kojic acid serum. It basically helps lighten the pigment.

4. Sometimes I apply a yogurt mask to the melasma to help it fade faster. 

As for makeup, I tried yellow-based concealers (Physician's Formula makes a liquid concealer with yellow and regular color) and peach-based ones, but I can't cover it up completely. Using blush after you apply your makeup helps distract from it. 

I hope this helps. Good luck! 

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users