Should I Risk Using Moisturizer?

moisturizer inflation clogged pores

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hannah Moha_*

Guest_Hannah Moha_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hey guys! I'm sixteen years old and have been having ongoing acne since I was 13. My acne is light to moderate, although it tends to gradually worsen whenever I try something other than my basic regimen. I went to a dermatologist when I was at the height of the worst acne I ever had at age 14. My doctor said I should lay off moisturizer for a little and use epiduo along with dove beauty bar soap as a cleanser. He said that my acne would dry up and in a couple months I would be able to use moisturizer. Fortunately, my acne was all gone and my skin didn't have any scars left over. I decided to use neutrogena sensitive oil-free moisturizer, and it seemed like the worst decision I could've ever made.  My pores started to clog up and my acne showed up again! I've laid off moisturizer for a couple years and now my skin is breaking out and extremely dry. I understand that moisturizing and keeping the skin hydrated is vital and I honestly don't know what I should do. I'm a bit tight on money so seeing a dermatologist is out of the question. Should I take a risk and try the regimen? Or should I continue with dove soap and look for better moisturizers?

#2 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Save up to go and see a derm, it'll be worth it.

I am currently taking 2 x 250mg oxytetracycline tablets twice per day and at night apply Duac Once Daily Gel. Both of these have been prescribed by my doctor.

#3 Realme2008

Realme2008

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hey guys! I'm sixteen years old and have been having ongoing acne since I was 13. My acne is light to moderate, although it tends to gradually worsen whenever I try something other than my basic regimen. I went to a dermatologist when I was at the height of the worst acne I ever had at age 14. My doctor said I should lay off moisturizer for a little and use epiduo along with dove beauty bar soap as a cleanser. He said that my acne would dry up and in a couple months I would be able to use moisturizer. Fortunately, my acne was all gone and my skin didn't have any scars left over. I decided to use neutrogena sensitive oil-free moisturizer, and it seemed like the worst decision I could've ever made.  My pores started to clog up and my acne showed up again! I've laid off moisturizer for a couple years and now my skin is breaking out and extremely dry. I understand that moisturizing and keeping the skin hydrated is vital and I honestly don't know what I should do. I'm a bit tight on money so seeing a dermatologist is out of the question. Should I take a risk and try the regimen? Or should I continue with dove soap and look for better moisturizers?

Honestly, I feel like most dermatologists are a waste of time and money anyway. They make you try various products, and just hope something sticks. Every product that you use on your face should be marked non comedogenic basically stating that it will not break you out. If you aren't seeing that, then I wouldn't chance it. I would definitely recommend the regimen as I've been on it for 8 years +, and it's been the only product that has been able to keep my skin consistently clear. But if you are going to try the regimen make sure you follow the regimen precisely, because your skin will definitely not be thanking you if you start too fast. 

#4 Guest_Hannah Moha_*

Guest_Hannah Moha_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thank you . This helped a lot. I've honestly tried every moisturizer. The ones recommended on here and everything. I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and finally purchase the regimen :) Since you've been on the regimen for 8 years or so, did you reduce the amount of BP you use, or did you continue with the two full pumps?

#5 Realme2008

Realme2008

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

Thank you . This helped a lot. I've honestly tried every moisturizer. The ones recommended on here and everything. I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and finally purchase the regimen smile.png Since you've been on the regimen for 8 years or so, did you reduce the amount of BP you use, or did you continue with the two full pumps?

You're welcome.I use two full pumps, but only at night. I'd wait until you fully clear before try altering the regimen in any way though.

#6 Guest_Hannah Moha_*

Guest_Hannah Moha_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thank you . This helped a lot. I've honestly tried every moisturizer. The ones recommended on here and everything. I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and finally purchase the regimen smile.png Since you've been on the regimen for 8 years or so, did you reduce the amount of BP you use, or did you continue with the two full pumps?

You're welcome.I use two full pumps, but only at night. I'd wait until you fully clear before try altering the regimen in any way though.

You use to full pumps at night, but what about the morning? Do you just cleanse and moisturize and skip step 2?

#7 Realme2008

Realme2008

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

You use to full pumps at night, but what about the morning? Do you just cleanse and moisturize and skip step 2?

Yeah, I just cleanse and moisturize in the morning. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users