retin-a breakout fuck acne

29 replies to this topic

#21 VilcabambaKate

VilcabambaKate

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

And how long did your initial purge last? And whats your regime? Sorry for so many questions but i really want to understand this whole thing better...

#22 Fuckacne1996

Fuckacne1996

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I've been using the Stieva A brand .025% retin a cream for about 6 months now, and for me I'd say the initial purge lasted maybe a month and a half, I know at some points during that first month were brutal and I cried myself to sleep about 25 out of 30 of those days. I thought my skin was going to be wrecked for life with scarring and that it would never be smooth again, but slowly and surely my skin began to smooth and out and became nicer than it had been before! I had clear skin most of October up til now, which is unfortunate. I'm not entirely sure what broke me out now, but it's also fading away now too and the marks that are left behind now are small and fade away within a few weeks, which is great. I do urge you to stick with it, and if your breakouts are getting too bad, visit your derm and ask for a clindamycin or some form of oral antibiotic, and that really helps with the purging, and you can stop them once your skin gets better.

My regime in the morning is:
Wash face with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Then I apply a 2% clindamycin solution mixed with .5% hydrocortisone (I just began this a few days after a visit to my doctor to help clear my break out)

Apply CeraVe Moisturising Cream
At Night:
Wash face with CeraVe Foaming Cleanser
Apply same clindamycin and hydrocortisone cream and then wait 30-45 minutes
Apply retin-a 0.025% cream

#23 VilcabambaKate

VilcabambaKate

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Thanks so much for the advice, I am convinced that Retin A is the right treatment for me. However out of desperation I made the decision of using a small amount of Benzoyl Peroxide the other morning and by the evening my irritated zits had almost totally dried and shrivelled up..... It made me decide to use BP for a few days just to dry the surface zits up and then go back to Retin A every evening and a tiny amount of BP in the morning until I feel truly free .....

So my regime will normally be:
Morning
Roche Posay face wash for sensitive skin
Wait half an hour and small amount of BP
Wait another 15 minutes and Roche Posay moisturiser factor 25

Evening
Roche Posay face wash for sensitive skin
Wait half an hour and small amount of Retin A 0.05
Wait a few minutes and Roche Posay night cream

Just doing three or four days of BP before I go back on Retin A.

Fingers crossed!!

#24 enelson96

enelson96

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

I started using Retin-A around the same time you did in August. I got terrible initial breakouts, although I wouldn't call them initial breakouts because I never stopped breaking out. I got really deep pimples on my cheeks, where I have NEVER had any acne before. It didn't clear my blackheads or anything. In fact, I believe because it dried my face out, it also made my face oilier. I used really expensive moisturizers every night, so no one can say that I didn't try my hardest at keeping my skin healthy. 

I eventually had to go on minocycline, 100mg a day, for about 3 months in accordance with the Retin-A. Well, nothing really improved that much other than the fact that the oral drug helped heal the acne on my cheeks. But there are still dark marks there. 

Today I am on accutane, 40mg a day. 

I am just writing this to let you know that Retin-A does not work for some, while it can be miracles for others.

If you don't stop breaking out, or you just feel that your skin isn't "right" over 2 months after you have been using it, definitely try something new. There are so many other retinoid creams out there that might be much more suited to your skin. 

#25 Fuckacne1996

Fuckacne1996

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

Yes, that is a good point to bring up! But on a side note, I also didn't think retin-a would work for the longest time but I kept continuing its usage, and I think the key to it is that it doesn't work all that great alone. Personally, for myself the initial breakout didn't start to fade until I used clindamycin phosphate which worked beautifully with the retin-a. So I wouldn't say give up, just try some things out and eventually you'll find something that works for you! I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, and I really hope you the best with your Accutane treatment!

#26 blackrosesXOX

blackrosesXOX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

You sound just like me, except I'm using the gel form of 0.025% and started on 0.01%. I've been on Tretinoin (Retin-A) for 14 weeks and no improvement. Honestly, I am thinking of stopping the treatment. I also am afraid Accutane is my only option.

#27 Fuckacne1996

Fuckacne1996

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

So hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here and I don't really want to start a new topic in a different thread to give anyone who was wondering an update on my skin. Right around last Feb/March my skin began to break out a LOT, so I discontinued the Retin-a because it obviously wasn't working anymore. From about March, til June I used the tea tree oil line from the Body Shop and it cleared my skin up wonderfully, in a few weeks, it was almost unreal!

About the end of June/start of July, however my skin broke out again like crazy, sadly. And my skin doesn't do gradual, it breaks out fast and crazy. So I got fed up with acne and I went back to see my doctor, who prescribed me Accutane. I'm currently on day 9 of 20 mg/day! I'm supposed to do a four month course with the first month at 20 mg and the next three at 40 mg/day. So I'm currently in the initial breakout phase, which sucks, but I'm holding on to the hope that I'll have clear skin in a matter of months! I'm crossing my fingers that my skin looks decent by September, where I'll be attending university and living on residence!

Anyways, if anyone has any advice or comments or questions to share with me about their Retin-a/Accutane journeys, I'd love to hear them!

#28 blackrosesXOX

blackrosesXOX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

So hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here and I don't really want to start a new topic in a different thread to give anyone who was wondering an update on my skin. Right around last Feb/March my skin began to break out a LOT, so I discontinued the Retin-a because it obviously wasn't working anymore. From about March, til June I used the tea tree oil line from the Body Shop and it cleared my skin up wonderfully, in a few weeks, it was almost unreal!

About the end of June/start of July, however my skin broke out again like crazy, sadly. And my skin doesn't do gradual, it breaks out fast and crazy. So I got fed up with acne and I went back to see my doctor, who prescribed me Accutane. I'm currently on day 9 of 20 mg/day! I'm supposed to do a four month course with the first month at 20 mg and the next three at 40 mg/day. So I'm currently in the initial breakout phase, which sucks, but I'm holding on to the hope that I'll have clear skin in a matter of months! I'm crossing my fingers that my skin looks decent by September, where I'll be attending university and living on residence!

Anyways, if anyone has any advice or comments or questions to share with me about their Retin-a/Accutane journeys, I'd love to hear them!

I'm sorry to hear. I was on Tretinoin for over 14 weeks before I was refereed to a dermatologist and prescribed Accutane. I'm on month two now and I'm clearped up besides a piece of skin I just HAD to pick until it turned raw. I'm hoping to be done October but was originally planned to be on it until December but my sevre acne cleared so well. I wish you the best of luck!

#29 Fuckacne1996

Fuckacne1996

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm sorry to hear. I was on Tretinoin for over 14 weeks before I was refereed to a dermatologist and prescribed Accutane. I'm on month two now and I'm clearped up besides a piece of skin I just HAD to pick until it turned raw. I'm hoping to be done October but was originally planned to be on it until December but my sevre acne cleared so well. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks, I think I could use all the luck I can get!

I'm very happy to hear that your skins cleared up! I can't wait til I myself hit the two month mark! My skin actually seems to be clearing and calming after the initial frenzy, so I'm crossing my fingers that it continues this way for now.

I was just wondering what kind of products you've been using to wash your face while on Accutane, and if you've been left with any hyperpigmentation now?

#30 blackrosesXOX

blackrosesXOX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, I think I could use all the luck I can get!

I'm very happy to hear that your skins cleared up! I can't wait til I myself hit the two month mark! My skin actually seems to be clearing and calming after the initial frenzy, so I'm crossing my fingers that it continues this way for now.

I was just wondering what kind of products you've been using to wash your face while on Accutane, and if you've been left with any hyperpigmentation now?

Sorry for the late reply! I use the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Daily face wash (the foaming version) and it has not irritated my skin. They have a cream version too. The foaming is soap free and I think the cream version is as well. I do sadly have hyper-pigmentation left. I was a picker and picked at ALL my acne before and while on Accutane. I don't know if all of them are scars but some are. I've been using Vanicream sunscreen lately. The 35 SPF one is less greasy but the 50 SPF is definitely more greasy which could be a good thing if you have dry skin. I've also been using 100% jojoba oil from GNC which really helps hydrate my skin. I used Aquaphor during my first 2 months too because my skin was so dry. Now on month 3 I just use it on dry patches because my skin really isn't as dry. Oh, and I have heard people use either Cetaphil or CeraVe while on Accutane but both of those kind of burnt my skin and left it even more red than it was. Even the moisturizers made my skin burn. I just looked for a soap free cleanser and found the one I mentioned. I don't use anything else on my face. I used Benzoyl Peroxide in the first few weeks but that was a bad idea. I looked like I had burns all over!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users