Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Retrolicious

Intial Breakout From Doryx?

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I haven't used these forums in years but I had to return to ask some questions about Doryx.

I'm 23, and have been battling with light acne since high school. My skin would be clear for months and then I would suffer a severe breakout. I'm prone to the large, painful cystic pimples and they usually take a month to fully go away once they emerge. I've tried almost every single prescription topical and finally my dermatolgist insisted I try Doryx although I have my hesitations about oral medications. She also prescribed me Acanya gel as a topical treatment, its the only topical I've had some success with in managing my acne in the past.

I've been on Doryx and Acanya for a week and a half now and I've been suffering a severe cystic breakout. I have about 8 huge, painful cystic pimples as I write this. eusa_wall.gif I've also noticed that my skin has gotten incredibly dry.

I just wanted to see if anyone could share their experiences with Doryx and if it caused an intial breakout and dryness? I know its not the Acanya gel breaking me out because I did not get that reaction from it 2 years ago (unless they changed the formula?)

Please help!! I'm so frustrated and my confidence is at an all time low. I'm thinking of stopping the Doryx...

I took doxycycline almost a year ago and my acne got worse before it got better. I did start clearing up, about two months in. I've heard that it's not unusual for oral antibiotics to take 2-3 months before they start improving your skin. Good luck!

Thanks for your input! The initial breakout has been really bad, I'm debating stopping the antibiotic because being on it for 2 to 3 months or longer seems bad for my health.