Photo

I Wish I Was Never Born.

emotional coping distressing suicidal depression emotional emotional effects of acne stress stress relief

23 replies to this topic

#21 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Equestrian
    Softball
    Singing
    Reading

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi, thanks for taking a look at this topic,

It seems that acne does more emotional damage than physical to me. And that doesn't mean I'm imagining my flaws, I have moderate to severe acne and many pitted scars and hyperpigmentation. Tried everything from prescribed to over-the-counter,  from restrcited diets to the regimen. Oh, and laser treatments too. Spend about two thousand dollars in the past two years. But I just can't get rid of it.

I began to avoid my friends, public places, Tv shows and youtube, because everyone out there seems to have problem-less skin. People with clear skin gives me a really hard time as they remind me of how montrous I look.

Now I'm house bound and friendless. I have let acne ruin my social life and especially the bonds with my family. It's because all I do everyday is cry and complain, and even verybally attack my mom by asking her why she couldn't have given me proper skin. No wonder she's not talking to me anymore.

Last night I have come to the point of wanting to inch off every bit of my disgusting skin with a kitchen knife. I was frustrated at my skin for ruining my life and I wanted to kill it.

i really need help. I really want someone to talk to. Any kind of message would do. Please help me.

Thank-you.

I know the exact position that you're in. I have my own thread on this website describing the battle that I deal with everyday, in reference to my skin. I constantly feel that I'm at war with myself because my mind and body are disagreeing. My mind wants everything to look perfect ad my body reacts by giving me acne and distorted images of my body. I also have a difficult time looking/being around people who have clear skin...But then I try to remember that EVERYONE has their sh*t. My best friend has recently outgrown his acne, but he suffers from Bi-Polar II disorder. My sister has barely had a pimple in her life, but she has Trichotillomania. And just so you know, even the most perceived beautiful people in the world do NOT have great skin. Megan Fox (considered one of the sexiest women on the planet) has pretty bad acne. Cameron Diaz, Katy Perry, Brittany Spears, Daniel Radcliffe, Tom Felton, Heidi Klum... All celebrities that have bad skin. I try to remember that it's all lighting, makeup, and airbrushing that makes these people look flawless. It's all a mind trip.

I completely relate being housebound. I am basically living the same way. I also know what it's like to snap and yell at people. I sometimes lose control and yell at my parents telling them to "make it better" or ask them "why aren't you doing anything to help me?". As if they have any control what my body will and will not do. If things seem horrible right now and couldn't possibly get any worse... there is some good news. You can only go up from here! You can make the conscious choice to construct a life worth living. I don't know you and I don't know what your skin looks like, but regardless I know three things:

You is kind. You is smart. You is important... Say it to yourself enough and one day you'll believe it. Xo ~Rosalie

#22 aiko333

aiko333

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

hey everyone smile.png

Thanks for all the replies you still give me.

I realised a lot of people were recommending Accutane, so I went to my family doctor (after a very nasty battle with my mom of course) last week, where surprisingly he wasn't able to prescribe any because my acne was not bad enough(I still can't believe this). But thanks to all the suggestions, they were still very helpful. Now I am currently on the regimen in hopes it would do something good for me.

Right now my face is doing great (now new breakouts, no new redness, totally under control), but I know its only temporary because I have this really weird cycle of breaking out once every two weeks, and its always on the high points of my cheeks. I used to get acne on my cheeks when I was in my teens, I was happily acne free in the area until recently, about a month ago I started getting spots.

Now the good thing is that those spots disappear within a week, but it draws all these negative emotions which I can't stand. I cry, I get frustrated, I have all these suicidal thoughts.... I continue to be emotionally unstable until my spots clear up. Then I'm back to my happy, normal self when my skin starts clearing up.

I feel like a total weirdo coming out of the closet and writing this out, but at the same time I can't control this gush of negative feelings I have when I find a new pimple (regardless of severity or size), it's like I'm on this emotional roller coaster and it's making my life more difficult than it needs to be,

Since you guys gave me a lot of valuable suggestions, can someone tell me their strategies on coping with emotional effects on acne this time?

Thanks lots,

Aiko

Edited by aiko333, 29 August 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#23 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Equestrian
    Softball
    Singing
    Reading

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

hey everyone smile.png

I realised a lot of people were recommending Accutane, so I went to my family doctor (after a very nasty battle with my mom of course) last week, where surprisingly he wasn't able to prescribe any because my acne was not bad enough(I still can't believe this). But thanks to all the suggestions, they were still very helpful. Now I am currently on the regimen in hopes it would do something good for me.

Right now my face is doing great (now new breakouts, no new redness, totally under control), but I know its only temporary because I have this really weird cycle of breaking out once every two weeks, and its always on the high points of my cheeks. I used to get acne on my cheeks when I was in my teens, I was happily acne free in the area until recently, about a month ago I started getting spots.

Now the good thing is that those spots disappear within a week, but it draws all these negative emotions which I can't stand. I cry, I get frustrated, I have all these suicidal thoughts.... I continue to be emotionally unstable until my spots clear up. Then I'm back to my happy, normal self when my skin starts clearing up.

I feel like a total weirdo coming out of the closet and writing this out, but at the same time I can't control this gush of negative feelings I have when I find a new pimple (regardless of severity or size), it's like I'm on this emotional roller coaster and it's making my life more difficult than it needs to be,

Since you guys gave me a lot of valuable suggestions, can someone tell me their strategies on coping with emotional effects on acne this time?

Thanks lots,

Aiko

You are not a totaly weirdo. Many of us experience the same exact things/emotions when we have a new pimple or breakout. In all honesty, we do make out lives more difficult than we need to because we are so focused on the negative aspects that we forget to acknowledge the positive. It's not entirely out fault though, so we also can't judge ourselves. Our brains are making us believe things that aren't true.

Coping strategies... There are many things that you can do to avoid exasperating the emotional roller coaster. I'll tell you the things that I do to make my life a little bit easier:

Keep the lights off when I wash my face, apply topical medications, brush my teeth, etc (basically anytime I'm in a bathroom, the lights are off)

Wash my face with a buff puff so that I don't need to feel my acne while I cleanse my face

Keep my hands busy so I don't touch my face and feel the bumps (knitting, typing, baking, etc)

Avoid reflective surfaces... I mean ANY and ALL reflective sufaces (mirrors, glass, webcams, etc)

Have my mum do my makeup.

Fill your life with things that keep your mind off your acne. Do things that you enjoy. Be with people that you enjoy being with. Don't let your skin run your life and dictate what you can and cannot do.

Last, but not least. Smile. If you smile I guarantee that nobody will be looking at your acne. They'll be looking at your lit up face and eyes from smiling! It will help you look and feel better. Which is what really matters.

You can get through this! Xo ~Rosalie

#24 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

hey everyone smile.png

Thanks lots,

Aiko

I don't know if you're still struggling with this, but I wanted to let you know that I have the exact same thing going on with my face. Breakouts on my cheeks basically every two or three weeks that take forever to go away and totally knock me back to this depressed and panicky state that is abnormal for me.

I've realised it is likely hormonal and I'm going on birth control to deal with it. I'd rather not have to take a pill, but I don't have the willpower to stick to a diet and herbal plan. I like food too much :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users