Photo

I Wish I Was Never Born.

emotional coping distressing suicidal depression emotional emotional effects of acne stress stress relief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 aiko333

aiko333

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi, thanks for taking a look at this topic,

It seems that acne does more emotional damage than physical to me. And that doesn't mean I'm imagining my flaws, I have moderate to severe acne and many pitted scars and hyperpigmentation. Tried everything from prescribed to over-the-counter,  from restrcited diets to the regimen. Oh, and laser treatments too. Spend about two thousand dollars in the past two years. But I just can't get rid of it.

I began to avoid my friends, public places, Tv shows and youtube, because everyone out there seems to have problem-less skin. People with clear skin gives me a really hard time as they remind me of how montrous I look.

Now I'm house bound and friendless. I have let acne ruin my social life and especially the bonds with my family. It's because all I do everyday is cry and complain, and even verybally attack my mom by asking her why she couldn't have given me proper skin. No wonder she's not talking to me anymore.

Last night I have come to the point of wanting to inch off every bit of my disgusting skin with a kitchen knife. I was frustrated at my skin for ruining my life and I wanted to kill it.

i really need help. I really want someone to talk to. Any kind of message would do. Please help me.

Thank-you.

#2 Jug

Jug

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Stay strong, you will get through this if you stay positive, not matter how hard it may seem. Keep trying to find a cure, don't give up!

#3 SunnySarah

SunnySarah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

It seems that acne does more emotional damage than physical to me. And that doesn't mean I'm imagining my flaws, I have moderate to severe acne and many pitted scars and hyperpigmentation. Tried everything from prescribed to over-the-counter,  from restrcited diets to the regimen. Oh, and laser treatments too. Spend about two thousand dollars in the past two years. But I just can't get rid of it.

I began to avoid my friends, public places, Tv shows and youtube, because everyone out there seems to have problem-less skin. People with clear skin gives me a really hard time as they remind me of how montrous I look.

Now I'm house bound and friendless. I have let acne ruin my social life and especially the bonds with my family. It's because all I do everyday is cry and complain, and even verybally attack my mom by asking her why she couldn't have given me proper skin. No wonder she's not talking to me anymore.

Last night I have come to the point of wanting to inch off every bit of my disgusting skin with a kitchen knife. I was frustrated at my skin for ruining my life and I wanted to kill it.

i really need help. I really want someone to talk to. Any kind of message would do. Please help me.

Thank-you.

Aiko333, I'm here if you need someone to talk to!

I (as well as everyone on this site) understands how emotional acne can truly be, and how it can affect so much more than just skin. In your words "I have let acne ruin my social life and especially the bonds with my family." Don't let a skin issue change your entire life. You are the same person inside, whether your skin is clear or not. Your friends and family love you, no matter what you look like. 

Acne may be temporary or it may be long term. If you have to live with it, then try and be as positive as you can about it. If you let things  get to you and ruin your life, that would not be a fun life to live. 

#4 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

You are in the right place my friend, many of us have been in your shoes. I remember many days waking up, looking in the mirror and wanting to tear my face off. 

It's essential though to try to gain as much perspective as you can, because it's so easy to get so caught up in acne and let it rule you. It's only a part of you, it's something that will eventually go away and it's important it doesn't ruin you. Regardless of how you feel now, you can wake up tomorrow and choose to fight it. Choose to smile.

That aside, I strongly suggest trying The Regimen again and failing that, because its effecting you so badly, I would personally try Accutane. It changed my life, it was the best choice I ever made.

#5 mxkn

mxkn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

You really aren't alone, the feeling of disgust of looking at yourself in the mirror every morning, not wanting to go to school and feeling like the most unattractive human being on the planet  is something i can easily relate to. No one around me suffered from it as much as i did so i was alone and well i didn't know about this forums back then so i had no one to talk to about it. You must remain strong it will end, i know it seems like it wont but trust me one day you'll be the one encouraging others to be strong. Don't let acne dictate the quality of your life, not everyone is a judgmental bigot.

#6 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

But you were born. So what are you going to do about it? You can choose to sulk and be depressed, or go out and face the world. If you find a purpose in life, then that will give you a sense of direction. Maybe try volunteering or help people online if you have social anxiety. Anything to make you feel useful. Also, take a look at the various approaches people on acne.org have taken to fight their acne and pick one that you haven't tried yet and stick with it consistently. Don't let it beat you. We all struggle with it every day, you are not alone. 

I used to blame my genetics for my acne, but you have to accept that you are acne prone. Isn't it better than having some other disease though? I know that we live in a superficial society, but what can we do about it? You just need to find things that take the focus off of your self...find a hobby that makes you happy and keeps you from obsessing about your skin. It will get easier every day. And avoid mirrors. It's funny how we obsess about acne and yet we can't actually see our face, we just go by what the mirror shows us. 

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#7 hasmas

hasmas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Acne is like going to war my dear friend so be strong ACNE.ORG is always ready to help you and give you advice :)

Accutane empire

#8 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Agreed, keep fighting, get a good action plan, it may take a while but you will find it, try the regimine and try some diet changes too - quit dairy for a month and see what happens.

Turn the frustration into going to war against the enemy, acne.  And get out and get some exercise and fresh air - start to socialize slowly, very slowly.

And we are here for you!  And call your mother, make peace, I'm sure she loves you and can be a great comfort to you, don't deprive yourself of that.

#9 isaacNeedsHelp

isaacNeedsHelp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

i know it been that way too but i stayed strong ^.^ keep your head up bro 

#10 hasmas

hasmas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

What´s ur age and what are you doing now what products are you using and what have you used list em up and let me see if  I can give you some nice advice :)

Accutane empire

#11 Lindsey4546

Lindsey4546

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hey aiko333! I totally understand what you are feeling. Sometimes I would get so frustrated when I would look in the mirror and realize that whatever acne treatment I was on at the time wasn't working. And I would cry and think, "why do I have to be battling with this?" I encourage you to not give up. You are a special person and God put you on this earth for a reason. I know sometimes acne makes you feel worthless, but you're not. Find your purpose in life. This is the time you need to surround yourself with family (who love you unconditionally) and this is the time to reconnect with your closest friends... The ones you feel most comfortable around who do not judge you. You need to laugh again! You need to feel carefree again! It may give you anxiety thinking about reconnecting with old friends, so start with texting them or a phone call. Then have the friend over to your house to watch a movie so the focus is not on you and ur friend is not staring at your face the whole time. Remember that these hard times will pass. But I think the light at the end of the tunnel for you would be accutane. If you have tried everything and are at ur wit's end, then I think it's time to talk to your dr about accutane. Two of my siblings were on it about ten years ago and it was a miracle drug for them. They have been acne free ever since. I will be praying for your depression/anxiety and that you and your dermatologist will find something that works. Hit me up of you ever need to talk cuz I have definitely been in your position.

#12 aiko333

aiko333

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Thank-you all for the kind messages you gave me. Thank-you so much. I can't thank you guys enough.

I was literally tearing up as I read each message one by one. None of you out there told me to suck it up, and instead encouraged me to stay strong like I actually mattered. This had so far never happened in my life, because when I would gain all the courage to open up to discuss my concerns with a friend or a family member, the very last message they would give me was "it's no big problem, so suck it up". I was expecting the same kind of message from you guys too but I wish I could have read these messages earlier and thank you guys much faster as all of them were very, very supportive.

Seriously, all of you out there are heroes. You took your time and thought replying to my very depressing some what crazy post, and instead of thinking "what's wrong with this girl" you actually answered my SOS and reached out a hand when you don't even know me. I think this is amazing. God bless you all and may you have the best life you ever had yet because you deserved it.

I may be saying this too much, BUT ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU :)

Stay strong, you will get through this if you stay positive, not matter how hard it may seem. Keep trying to find a cure, don't give up!

Dear Jug, Thank-you :)

yes I will do my best to stay positive. I believe if I keep up a smile all the time no one would notice my skin :)

Thank-you.

Aiko333, I'm here if you need someone to talk to!

I (as well as everyone on this site) understands how emotional acne can truly be, and how it can affect so much more than just skin. In your words "I have let acne ruin my social life and especially the bonds with my family." Don't let a skin issue change your entire life. You are the same person inside, whether your skin is clear or not. Your friends and family love you, no matter what you look like. 

Acne may be temporary or it may be long term. If you have to live with it, then try and be as positive as you can about it. If you let things  get to you and ruin your life, that would not be a fun life to live. 

Dear SunnySarah,

Yes I have learned the lesson the hard way. I will try to change my view on my skin from now on. It may be hard but I will try because if I am going to have acne no mater what (which I hope not), mind as well enjoy other things I can do while treating it, instead of letting it ruin everything else.

Thanks for the advice!

You are in the right place my friend, many of us have been in your shoes. I remember many days waking up, looking in the mirror and wanting to tear my face off. 

It's essential though to try to gain as much perspective as you can, because it's so easy to get so caught up in acne and let it rule you. It's only a part of you, it's something that will eventually go away and it's important it doesn't ruin you. Regardless of how you feel now, you can wake up tomorrow and choose to fight it. Choose to smile.

That aside, I strongly suggest trying The Regimen again and failing that, because its effecting you so badly, I would personally try Accutane. It changed my life, it was the best choice I ever made.

Thank-you Real Maverick :)

My mom once told me something similar, she said to calm down, take a step back from my skin obsession and that will ease my negative perspectives on my skin. Hearing it from you it really tells me she had said the right thing, 

I tried the regimen and stuck with it for two years, It did clear me up except for those painful horomonal breakouts around the jaw lines. I have so many scars from the cystic acne :( I kept going with it anyways until my dermatologist had told me benzoyl peroxide causes aging so I am a little concerned about that. 

As for accutane my parents were strongly against it for the side effects.

Any suggestions?

You really aren't alone, the feeling of disgust of looking at yourself in the mirror every morning, not wanting to go to school and feeling like the most unattractive human being on the planet  is something i can easily relate to. No one around me suffered from it as much as i did so i was alone and well i didn't know about this forums back then so i had no one to talk to about it. You must remain strong it will end, i know it seems like it wont but trust me one day you'll be the one encouraging others to be strong. Don't let acne dictate the quality of your life, not everyone is a judgmental bigot.

Hi mxkn :)

Thank-you for your reply and I can tell we all share something in common. I wish I had known about the forum earlier too, then probably I would be the someone able to encourage someone else by now. 

It's really true I have become paranoid with people as I came far enough to assume my friends want to hangout with me just so they can ridicule my skin. In reality, no one is such a jerk except for me. You opened my eyes mxkn, thanks

But you were born. So what are you going to do about it? You can choose to sulk and be depressed, or go out and face the world. If you find a purpose in life, then that will give you a sense of direction. Maybe try volunteering or help people online if you have social anxiety. Anything to make you feel useful. Also, take a look at the various approaches people on acne.org have taken to fight their acne and pick one that you haven't tried yet and stick with it consistently. Don't let it beat you. We all struggle with it every day, you are not alone. 

I used to blame my genetics for my acne, but you have to accept that you are acne prone. Isn't it better than having some other disease though? I know that we live in a superficial society, but what can we do about it? You just need to find things that take the focus off of your self...find a hobby that makes you happy and keeps you from obsessing about your skin. It will get easier every day. And avoid mirrors. It's funny how we obsess about acne and yet we can't actually see our face, we just go by what the mirror shows us. 

hi WishClean,

Sometimes my acne is just so hard I forget i actually have a choice to be happy and instead feel destined to sulk about it.

I tried out for volunteering today (went out of my house for the first time this month!) done a group interview. Too bad I felt really intimidated by all the girls with clear skin. At least I tried making some changes though.

Thanks for all the advice you gave me :)

Acne is like going to war my dear friend so be strong ACNE.ORG is always ready to help you and give you advice smile.png

Dear hasmas,

I should be preparing myself for the long journey and fight hard to make it back in one piece again then :)

Thanks for the encouragement dear friend!

Agreed, keep fighting, get a good action plan, it may take a while but you will find it, try the regimine and try some diet changes too - quit dairy for a month and see what happens.

Turn the frustration into going to war against the enemy, acne.  And get out and get some exercise and fresh air - start to socialize slowly, very slowly.

And we are here for you!  And call your mother, make peace, I'm sure she loves you and can be a great comfort to you, don't deprive yourself of that.

Dear mrsrobinson,

I think I'm going to try the regimen again and see how my body responds to it now. I have quit dairy and sugar and thinking of cutting simple carbs as well.

I read that exercising can increase your level of serotonin and make you less depressed :)

I gave my mom a hug after I read this and she asked me why was I not sad today. Someday I hope we can all laugh about how obsessed I was with my face.

Thank-you mrsrobinson, you made me feel like someone cares about me today :)

i know it been that way too but i stayed strong ^.^ keep your head up bro 

Hi isaacNeedsHelp,

I will try to stay strong, keep my head up and back straight, it makes you look good apparently :)

Thanks bro!

What´s ur age and what are you doing now what products are you using and what have you used list em up and let me see if  I can give you some nice advice smile.png

Hi again hasmas, 

Well, I am 20 and I am currently on tea tree oil as I quit the regimen a year ago due to my dermatologist telling me BP causes aging. 

Before that I was following dan's regimen, which was helpful for everything else except the cystic breakouts on the jaw line that happened monthly, and also my face was constantly red no matter how much I moisturized it.

I was on various antibiotics for a year but it gave me a bad yeast infection so the doctors had to put a halt on that. Then I was prescribed some topical gel which never worked and instead made things worse (I stuck with each product for at least 3 months). Then I knew about the regimen so that helped me alot except for the concerns mentioned above (I started the regimen at 17 by the way). Then at 19 I tried Differin, which was the biggest mistake of my life because all it did was break me out in painful nodules from forehead to neck, and I stuck with it for three months believing it was the last minute cure but I had to stop as it was too distressing.

During my journey I had tried changing my diet, like restricting sugar and dairy intake. Sugar restriction meant quitting snacks like cookie and chocolate, any fast foods, condiments like ketchup and dressings as they always sneaked in some sugar, any carbohydrates such as rice from white flour.

Now I turned to tea tree oil...

That was long but any suggestions?

#13 mxkn

mxkn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Go for Accutane if you haven't that is the last resort i'm surprised you didn't mention it in your post, but give it a try and you'll see it's worth it.

:) glad i could help a bit

#14 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

If your acne is scarring you need to go on accutane.

#15 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Honestly if my acne were bothering me that much, I'd push hard for Accutane. There are side effects but mine were dry and sensitive skin.

When you take Accutane, you are monitored. Worst case scenario you stop taking it. But the really bad side effects that you often hear about Accutane, are so rare.

#16 hasmas

hasmas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

aww so sad that nothing expect regimen worked :( I´d suggest you tell your doctor how depressed you are and that you want something to work and I think he will prescribe you accutane.

Accutane empire

#17 Lindsey4546

Lindsey4546

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hey again aiko33! It warms my heart to know you are doing a little better and are making an effort to get back out in the world and hang out with your friends and do some volunteering! That really is a hard step when you feel so insecure, but keep pressing on and keep on hanging out with friends and you will find that it gets easier and easier to socialize and be around people. I would often have ppl give me compliments, saying I was pretty or they liked how I dressed, but they had no idea what was going on inside of me. I had major insecurity issues from being overweight as a child (and still battling my weight all these years (I'm 27)) and I battled with social anxiety/depression, but I never told anyone. So if you talked to these girls with clear skin, you would probably find out they have issues/insecurities they struggle with too. None of us are without afflictions! (Too bad, right? Haha)
Back to you going out with your friend for sushi... I am glad y'all had a great time and you were able to let all of your worries go for a while. What is your favorite sushi roll called? What ingredients does it have in it?
On the accutane subject... I think you need to have a very open discussion with your mom about how acne is affecting your life (your self esteem, your social life, your self worth, and it affects how you view other). Sorry this is written so poorly- I'm trying to get all my thoughts out. Pull up WebMD's website about accutane and have her look for herself that the bad side effects are very rare. You might want to try to find some studies (reputable) that report how likely (percentages) these rare effects are to happen. I would be very honest and open (without getting bad/defensive) in telling her how this drug is going to change your life and free you from acne's bondage. And it is worth the VERY SMALL risk of long-term effects.
Let me know what's happening with you is the next couple of days. I look forward to hearing from you!

#18 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

You definitely should consider accutane if your skin bothers you that much.

What type of acne do you have anyway? a nodular kind? if your acne is not really all that inflamed and only moderate at this current time you could try the Acne.Org skin care regimen once again.

Edited by darkheart, 24 August 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#19 JSM1894

JSM1894

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

I feel the exact samen way. First night back at college and I am sitting in my room while all my friends are out. It sucks but we have to just keep hoping for the best. People care about you whether you like it or not and if you don't want to keep fighting for yourself, do it for them.

#20 Member1

Member1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I can relate to everything you've said. I can't even offer words to cheer you up as I'm on the same boat as you, completely lost and need somebody to talk too, i don't think my acne will ever go.