I have been suffering from acne for over 12 years (on and off). I have finally managed to eliminate it and have decided to share my findings for the benefit of others.
The type of acne I suffered from was acne vulgaris. Key points that aggravated my acne:
- Oily skin
- Sugary foods (this includes dairy) caused more oil production
- Stopping sugary/dairy foods resulted in reduction of oil production
In my case, oily skin was the cause of my acne, so if I could reduce the oil production then I could stop the acne. I theorised that the lack of gut flora able to breakdown the sugars was causing excess oil production. This reason for lack of gut flora may be due to:
- poor diet
- foods that lack natural probiotic cultures
- too much sugar which causes yeast/fungus growth
This is by no means an exhaustive list but it denotes some core instigators which inhibit gut flora.
The solution is consumption of probiotics. I don't mean the ones you can get over the counter. Reasons below:
- They are NOT live cultures (many of them have a use-by date and God knows how many of the biotics are actually dead on consumption)
- They are NOT able to colonise the gut
- They do NOT provide enough probiotic strains
- They are not inclusive of healthful yeasts
So what is the solution ? Milk kefir. Reasons below:
- Has up to 40 strains of probiotics and yeasts
- MUCH more potent
- Can colonise the the gut
- The cultures are live
The key point to note here is that the kefir breaks down sugars, that is how they grow/survive, hence you feed them milk because it contains lactose. Once they are in your gut, they will continue to feed on sugars and will contribute to breaking down your food. My oil production is back to normal which means no more acne.
Edited by riegn, 18 August 2013 - 03:26 PM.