2 replies to this topic

#1 GetRight

GetRight

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hey!

I've been having this red bumps on my back since high school. I'm 32 today. And since last year it has escalated from my back to chest, upper arms and neck. They often get pretty big, swollen, hurts and the skin underneath is very hard. When healed often leave a red mark. Sometimes I get on knees, lower legs, stomach and butt as well. Much less thou and heal much faster.

I've tried benzoyl peroxide 2,5% and 5% without any success. Different antiseptic shower creams and lotions. A steroid called betnovat with chinoform. That my local doc prescribed. Did nothing but ease the swelling. I've just began taking antibiotic pills (Tetralysal) against acne. Started this week thou, so no improvement yet. I'm also trying paula's choice salicylic acid 2%. I've taken out all milk from my diet as well. Scrub with a glove once a week.

I'm pretty much clueless how to treat this. Nothing yet has worked. And none seem to know what it exactly is. So feel free to enlighten me.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0683.jpg

#2 Ebrake29

Ebrake29

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hey!

I've been having this red bumps on my back since high school. I'm 32 today. And since last year it has escalated from my back to chest, upper arms and neck. They often get pretty big, swollen, hurts and the skin underneath is very hard. When healed often leave a red mark. Sometimes I get on knees, lower legs, stomach and butt as well. Much less thou and heal much faster.

I've tried benzoyl peroxide 2,5% and 5% without any success. Different antiseptic shower creams and lotions. A steroid called betnovat with chinoform. That my local doc prescribed. Did nothing but ease the swelling. I've just began taking antibiotic pills (Tetralysal) against acne. Started this week thou, so no improvement yet. I'm also trying paula's choice salicylic acid 2%. I've taken out all milk from my diet as well. Scrub with a glove once a week.

I'm pretty much clueless how to treat this. Nothing yet has worked. And none seem to know what it exactly is. So feel free to enlighten me.

I have a similar condition to this. I had really bad back acne when I was in high school and then it mostly resolved when I started college. Sophomore I began to get these red bumps. It might due to prior heavy antibiotic use. It could also be inflamed folliculitis. Mine usually leave a white mark on the skin when they fully heal. I saw a derm about a month ago and they prescribed Doxycylcine and Clindamycin phosphate lotion. It seems to be getting better. I also took most milk out of my diet (only use organic milk with my cereal that doesn't have hormones). It is very frustrating though, especially the scars that it leaves behind.

#3 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi GetRIght, if you want to test an anti-fungal against malassezia-induced seb derm, I posted a Review of OTC Treatments for this on this forum.  http://www.acne.org/...acne-bacterial/   It's a long read, so the executive summary is to buy some Lotrimin Ultra (not AF) and see if there are any changes.  Try this for 2 weeks.  If you see patches of flaking skin, it means the drug is working, and you probably need to investigate further because it is a condition rather than a disease that has a cure.  I'm suggesting all this because your photo looks like me last year.

The key principle is that the yeast/fungus malassezia is lipid dependent, which means it must consume oil to grow. You can't eliminate all skin oil to defeat the problem so you have to treat it with topical ketoconazole, or topical climbazole, the latter of which is a more effective drug.

The only practical oil product malassezia can't consume is vaseline or Aquaphor, but those are so sticky and greasy I use a regular Cetaphil lotion and add climbazole to it in the tiny concentration of 0.07%. You can use ketoconazole to make a lotion to but it's not effective at less than 1.0%, so, I suggest you mail order some Hegor 150 climbazole shampoo (which is 1.5% climbazole) and mix it into any lotion. I don't think it will be too sticky.  The Lotrimin works well too but there's not enough in a 30mg tube to make much difference -- for example, it takes 12 ml of lotion to cover my whole body.

Currently I’m using this very effective lotion:

180 ml Cetaphil lotion

20 ml distilled water

0.4 ml Propolis

0.4 ml Farnesol

0.6 grams Citric Acid

4.0 grams Xylitol

4 grams Aquaphor

0.14 grams Climbazole (equivalent to 10 ml of Hegor 150 in 200 ml of lotion)

Good luck!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users