Hello all! I decided to start an accutane diary so that I could help myself and others. First off, a little background:
- 22 years old, female
- suffered from acne for about 9 years (it's genetics..ugh..WHYYY DAD WHYYYY)
- 110lbs, currently 30th day on 30mg/day
- skin: very oily, with main problem being blackheads and moderate/severe acne (I started to get cystic acne here and there about a year ago), and very scar-prone
Since starting accutane, there have been a lot of changes in my skin. About 2 weeks in, I had a pretty bad breakout along my jawline...worse than usual. I'm guessing that was my initial breakout? OH, and my skin became so bumpy because all my pores were purging = blackheads everywhere. I'm still broken out, but the pimples heal so much faster than usual. My face is also smoother as the blackheads are slowly disappearing. Before accutane I would extract the blackheads regularly...DO NOT TRY TO EXTRACT ANYTHING WHILE TAKING ACCUTANE. It just irritates it even more and becomes more inflamed. Even the blackheads i tried to extract became active pimples. Just leave your face alone...it's going through a lot already lol
So far, the side effects that I am experiencing are dry lips, dry flaky skin...basically dry everything. Looking at the bright side, i actually enjoy some of the dryness! My skin was so oily before I would have to blot every 3-4 hours...but now i never blot...ever. Even though my skin is flaky, I control the dry skin and flakes with products (which I will note down below). Also, I am loving the dry scalp. Daily shampooing was a must for me before accutane, but now my hair stays oil-free for days. The dryness doesn't even bother me that much, and I feel like it's totally manageable. My skin is also sensitive and red, which is common. DO NOT EXFOLIATE. I used a light exfoliant to try to get rid of the flakes, and boy was that a bad idea. My face was irritated, bumpy, and red...took a couple days to calm down. The skin on the rest of my body is also dry. It's so weird for me because I NEVER had dry skin...my knuckles started flaking. Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize. So far, not too bad!
- cleanser: clean and clear makeup dissolving foaming cleanser ( i've always used this stuff...awesome makeup remover and cleanser)
- moisturizer: a couple drops of jojoba oil mixed with favorite facial lotion (I switch up my lotions all the time. Jojoba oil is FREAKING amazing. Whatever skin type you have, try it if you haven't already. I've been using jojoba oil for about 2 years now and it's a holy grail in my books)
- lips: carmex (stick form)
- Acne fighting products: Clindoxyl Gel (spot treatment. It's drying and may cause more flakiness...but it does help with active pimples). ******OKAY PEOPLE, now for a product that I have been absolutely obsessed with since I found it. HYDROCOLLOID DRESSING. I'm not sure what it's made of or how it works (look it up!), but it's basically a wound dressing. I buy -johnson&johnson first aid advanced healing hydrocolloid adhesive pads- and just cut them up into little squares, stick it on to any pimples that are punctured/open (before bed), and in the morning the dressing is more opaque because of all the puss and gunk it sucked up. The pimple is flatter and definitely more healed. I've been using this method to get rid of my pimples even before accutane. Actually...i used it more before accutane because I popped my pimples (I KNOW I KNOW). It actually speeds up the healing and flattens the pimple drastically. If i'm not being thorough enough here are reviews --> http://www.makeupall...ItemId=112871/. I don't buy that brand, I just buy sheets from my local pharmacy and cut them up myself.
- LOTS OF WATER!!!!!
To wrap my first log up, I just want to let those of you who are suffering know that you are not the only one! I'm trying to be as positive as possible because I know how depressing acne can be. I'm extremely self-conscious and dealing with acne has disrupted my social life for so many years. Going into details about how it's affected my life would just lengthen this log even more than it already is. No need to dwell on the past. I'm just looking forward to the day when I can go out without makeup on and feel good about my skin. Plus, my acne is not who I am. I have so much more to be proud and confident about! AND YOU ALL SHOULD TOO! Everyone is different, and everyone is going to have different experiences with their accutane treatment...and this is the beginning of mine!
Edited by fahn, 14 August 2013 - 10:47 PM.