#21 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I will probably not go above 2% for SA, because I am already using topicals on my skin (including a sulfur antibiotic). Does anyone know if SA acts as a preventative measure for acne? I'm finding that Aczone is better at treating existing pimples, rather than preventing breakouts in the first place. Also, I've read that when using a SA cleanser, you should let the wash sit on your face for a minute or two to get optimal results from the chemical. Has anyone found that to be beneficial? 

i use a mild SA foaming wash (1%) and the box reads keep it for 20 seconds but my doc (who actually recommended it) said 1-2 minutes and it's mild, pH balanced and it does help.

technically a SA wash is suppose to 'prevent' because its unclogging ur pores, removing excess oil & diet and also removing the upper dead cells.

but thats not worthy enough if u have hormonal imbalance and you want to stop acne with this.

its basically the 'whole picture' that is considered.

as for the concentration.

as far as my lil' knowledge goes, concentrations are marked keeping the mass % and strength in mind.

2.5%, 3.5% or a 5% of bp is usually what people feel is mild.

i've never heard 10% being mild on anyone's skin.if it has, am glad something has worked.

but as per standard definition of what you get in market, go by the claim.

personally i use a bp (3.5%) aqueous gel sometimes as spot treatment and it effects my skin by making that spot redder and creased.

mine is not Dan's but a prescription product.

#22 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Equestrian
    Softball
    Singing
    Reading

Achievements

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I will probably not go above 2% for SA, because I am already using topicals on my skin (including a sulfur antibiotic). Does anyone know if SA acts as a preventative measure for acne? I'm finding that Aczone is better at treating existing pimples, rather than preventing breakouts in the first place. Also, I've read that when using a SA cleanser, you should let the wash sit on your face for a minute or two to get optimal results from the chemical. Has anyone found that to be beneficial? 

i use a mild SA foaming wash (1%) and the box reads keep it for 20 seconds but my doc (who actually recommended it) said 1-2 minutes and it's mild, pH balanced and it does help.

technically a SA wash is suppose to 'prevent' because its unclogging ur pores, removing excess oil & diet and also removing the upper dead cells.

but thats not worthy enough if u have hormonal imbalance and you want to stop acne with this.

as far as my lil' knowledge goes, concentrations are marked keeping the mass % and strength in mind.

i've never heard 10% being mild on anyone's skin.if it has, am glad something has worked.

personally i use a bp (3.5%) aqueous gel sometimes as spot treatment and it effects my skin by making that spot redder and creased.

Yeah, I don't believe that SA will stop my acne, I just want to add something into my regimen to help with those clogged pores and tiny papules that seem to haunt me. I would say my "whole picture" is generally healthy. I'm very health conscious and extremely aware of everything I put into my body. My spot treatment is 2% SA from Clearasil... I do not think it works very well. It does a good job at drying up popped pimples, but not at preventing an incoming zit from forming. I don't know if that means I would need to use a higher concentration of Salicylic Acid for my face, or maybe not? I don't know haha 

#23 aanabill

aanabill

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, I don't believe that SA will stop my acne, I just want to add something into my regimen to help with those clogged pores and tiny papules that seem to haunt me. I would say my "whole picture" is generally healthy. I'm very health conscious and extremely aware of everything I put into my body. My spot treatment is 2% SA from Clearasil... I do not think it works very well. It does a good job at drying up popped pimples, but not at preventing an incoming zit from forming. I don't know if that means I would need to use a higher concentration of Salicylic Acid for my face, or maybe not? I don't know haha 

SA wash or cream is to some extent 'preventive' in nature.

spot treatment IMO is not the best option for SA.

SA unlike bp doesnt kill p.acnes by oxidation.

it works in keeping the pores unclogged, removing the dead cells and cleaning dirt/oil etc.

so its a preventive measure.

it can help heal a already active/already formed acne FASTER but it alone cant zip it off by killing the bacteria.

so if you spot treat, clindamycin+ nicotinamide gel or bp are good options.

while SA is best in wash form IMO.

some uses creams too.

#24 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Equestrian
    Softball
    Singing
    Reading

Achievements

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

SA wash or cream is to some extent 'preventive' in nature.

spot treatment IMO is not the best option for SA.

SA unlike bp doesnt kill p.acnes by oxidation.

it works in keeping the pores unclogged, removing the dead cells and cleaning dirt/oil etc.

so its a preventive measure.

it can help heal a already active/already formed acne FASTER but it alone cant zip it off by killing the bacteria.

so if you spot treat, clindamycin+ nicotinamide gel or bp are good options.

while SA is best in wash form IMO.

some uses creams too.

Cool! Thanks for the info :) I'm still trying to decide which cleanser is best to try... Don't want any bad interactions with the products I'm already using. 

In reference to spot treatment... I am using the antibiotic cream Avar e (sodium sulfacetamide 10% sulfur 5%). Would using a sulfur spot treatment (8%) be overkill for my skin? I'm trying to avoid BP at all costs because of how sensitive my skin is. I already have a tiny indented scar near my eyebrows from trying Acne Free.. don't want another bad run in with BP. I think sulfur works way better than SA at diminishing new and already formed zits IMO. 

#25 aanabill

aanabill

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

i have less/no idea about sulphur products so its best u dnt take my suggestion.lol.

shoot a proper thread,am sure u will get effective answers.

=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users